Chapter 36 ***When You’d Scream***

Willow woke to find four pairs of eyes staring at her. The fifth was staring intently at the still catatonic Slayer.

“I guess it didn’t work.” Willow said wryly as she struggled to sit up. Tara was at her side already and assisted her to an upright position. “How long was I out?”

“From when we found you,” Giles answered, removing his glasses to wipe away nonexistent dust, “a few minutes, but you were up here for almost an hour before we heard the scream.”

“Scream?” Willow asked. “I heard it. Who screamed? Was it Buffy?”

“You were the one screaming, sweetie.” Tara’s soft voice broke in, her hand moving soothingly over Willow’s back. Willow leaned into Tara’s caress, still in shock.

“What happened in there?” Anya piped up, her curiosity over running her minimal level of tact. Willow blinked and shook her head.

“I’m not sure. First I was with Buffy and the First Slayer as they discussed Glory.” Giles perked up at her works.

“What were they saying?”

“It seems Buffy knows exactly who, what and where Glory comes from. Something about Slayer dreams.” Giles nodded thoughtfully.

“What happened next?” Xander prompted.

“Then I was in a cave. Buffy and Dawn were discussing the key, then a second Buffy showed up, Dawn exploded and here I am.” Willow laughed at the gang’s confused expressions. “Hey I was there and I don’t even understand it”

“A cave you say?” Giles prompted. “Did you recognize it?”

“No, I’d never been there.” Willow said with a shake of her head. “But Buffy did say it was Spike’s crypt.” At the mention of his name, Spike’s startled gaze met Willow’s.

“Why would she dream of his crypt?” Xander spat out.

“She said it was safe.” A small smile crossed Spike’s lips. Before Xander could respond, Giles had drawn Willow and Tara from the room to interrogate the red haired witch further.

“Buffy, luv.” Spike whispered. “You in there? Come on Slayer, wake up.” Spike shook her lightly, frustration at the fore as she did not respond.

“She’s not going to answer you.” Xander said snidely. Spike glared at the man and gripped Buffy’s shoulders.

“Slayer, rise and shine.” Spike said loudly, shaking Buffy none to gently. When he received no reaction from Buffy, Spike slapped her hard across the face, but still she just stared.

“Are you INSANE?!” Xander screeched grabbing Spike’s shoulder as Spike grabbed his head in pain. “We could be dealing with neurological damage here. You want to kill her?”

“I have to do something.” Spike raged, pulling himself away from Xander’s grip. “I can’t just sit here watching. We are wasting time with kid gloves. Red’s spell didn’t work. How else do you suppose we wake her? Besides, when all is said and done, Buffy likes it rough.” Xander’s fist connected with Spike’s nose.

“Don’t talk about her like that.” Xander said furiously, his arm winding back to land another blow. A soft hand caught his fist before it could connect.

“Xander, just leave him.” Anya said as she pulled Xander from the room. Spike sat beside Buffy again, his head still throbbing from the effects of the chip.

“Come on luv.” Spike whispered, his voice thick with emotion. “The Scoobies need you - Dawn needs you - I need you.”

“Giles thinks I should try the spell again.” Willow’s voice drifted from the doorway.

“What’s the use?!” Spike spat. “Didn’t work.”

“He wants me to send you.” Spike looked up in shock.

“Bet the whelp’s just tickled.” Willow couldn’t help but laugh.

“The Slayer’s Watcher overrides friends, no matter how well intentioned.” Spike nodded, his gaze going back to the woman on the bed. “You really love her don’t you?” Willow asked in awe, Spike’s feelings for the Slayer almost tangible.

“More than life.” Spike said simply.

“How is that possible? Angel said -”

“Angel said what? That demons can’t feel love? Just ‘cause the ponce was a heartless bastard when soulless doesn’t mean we all are.” Spike snorted in disgust. “We can love all too well, if not wisely.” Willow watched as Spike ran his fingers down Buffy’s cheek, bringing her hand to his lips to place a soft kiss to her knuckles.

“What does Buffy say?” Willow asked, always looking out for her friend.

“She knows.” Spike said, his expression clearly stating he would have nothing more to say on the matter. “So where do you want me?”

“Go ahead and lie down next to Buffy.” Willow gestured toward where Buffy was situated. “Just relax and clear your mind of everything but her.”

Spike chuckled quietly as he easily focused all his attention on the woman he loved. He lay on his back, his eyes closed, his hand clasping Buffy’s in a firm grip. He breathed in and out slowly, matching her calm breath. The steady beat of her heart filled his senses. He could feel the blood pumping leisurely through her body, allowing its rhythmic pound to course its way through his; feeling as if his heart was beating again.

The steady thump of her heart grew louder as his awareness of the blonde woman beside him grew. The sound of her heartbeat grew in intensity until it was the only sound he could hear, yet the thumping grew louder and louder. Spike dropped Buffy’s hand to cover his ears with his hands, trying desperately to muffle the deafening sound. The beating refused to be subdued, growing louder still. Spike could feel a scream welling up within his chest as the beating grew to impossible proportions, the sound piecing his very being. He opened his mouth to scream - but there was silence.

Spike opened his eyes in shock. Thousands of tiny dots of light littered the sky above where the ceiling of the Summers’ residence should have been. He slowly rose to his feet, looking around to find himself standing in a dark desert, a large moon rising full and heavy over the horizon. The crackle of fire brought his attention to his left. Buffy sat on a large rock, her gaze unwavering from the fire.

“Slayer!” Spike exclaimed, quickly moving to her side. “There you are.” Buffy pointed towards the fire without answering. Spike turned saw the same Slayer Willow had described.

“She’s the First Slayer.” Buffy said quietly.

“Red told us all of this, luv.” Spike replied, taking Buffy’s arm in his hand.

“What do you know of the beast?” Buffy called out, her voice echoing in the cold desert.

“Strong. Fast. Hell God.” Came the reply.

“Yes.” Spike hissed, trying to bring Buffy to her feet. “Red told us. No need to repeat the whole disturbing scenario.” Spike ignored the slayer across the fire as he tried in vain to get the slayer before him to move. Every time he reached for her, Buffy would easily shrug from his grasp. Spike threw up his hands in exasperation.

“That is the beast’s only weakness.” Buffy said, ignoring the vampire at her side.

“Kill the man and the God dies.” The First Slayer called out. “She’s found a way to escape her mortal prison for brief periods.”

“Yes we know, we know.” Spike huffed. “Ben.”

“Ben.” Buffy replied turning her gaze on Spike.

Spike barely blinked before he found himself in his crypt. Just as Willow had seen, he was in the cavern below. Dawn and Buffy sat on his bed discussing the key. Spike wondered for a moment ‘just when had Buffy seen this part of my home’, but curiosity was soon taken over by impatience as the pair on the bed refused to acknowledge his presence.

“Cone on Slayer, where are you?” Spike yelled out, remembering Willow’s description of the scene.

“I’m right here.” Buffy said quietly from behind him.

“Bloody hell woman, wear a bell!” Spike yelped, turning to face the second Buffy. “What are you doing here luv?”

“It’s safe.” Buffy said simply, wrapping her arms around herself and looking at the pair on the bed. “It’s my fault.”

“What is?” Spike asked softly wrapping Buffy tightly in his arms.

“I killed her.” Buffy said; her voice emotionless. “I let him live.”

“It’s not your fault.” Spike said forcefully as he pulled her tighter against him, his eyes flashing gold.

“It’s coming.” Buffy whispered as a rumbling filled the cavern, slowly rising in intensity.

“It’s time.” Spike turned to see Dawn standing by his bed, her skin glowing from the inside. He turned shielding Buffy from the burning light as Dawn’s skin peeled away, the power of the key growing until in enveloped him. The last sound he heard was Buffy’s voice screaming his name.

***Next Chapter ***Untitled as of Yet***

Special thanks to Slackerace for being my beta, you rock!!!
The next chapter has no title as I can't think of one yet but it will be coming soon, tomorrow hopefully.

Thank you to all who continue and all new reviewers. You make the words I write feel worthy of the audience. TTFN