Author's Chapter Notes:
Trust me people. My beta liked this chapter. Made me send her the next one right away.

Review me and let me know what you think.
Chapter 38 ***Faster***

‘Faster.’ The creaking of the poorly built tower grew in sound as the vampire raced up the metal structure, causing it to sway back and forth by his movements.

‘Faster.’ One of the most important things in his life depended upon him to move faster, be stronger, fight fiercer than he ever had before.

‘Almost there.’ The irony was not lost on him as he pushed himself harder to save the very thing he should’ve rejoiced in destroying. He could hear the whimpers of pain and the smell of blood filled his senses as he rounded the last corner to stand upon the top platform. The small demon known as Doc stood before his girl; her hands tied tight to the structure, shallow cuts lacing her bare arms, the crimson fluid running slowly down her pale skin.

“Doesn't a fella stay dead when you kill him?” Spike called out. Doc whirled around and watched warily as Spike strode slowly forward.

The old demon was quick but Spike was filled with an astonishing amount of determination. A slight shift of his weight brought Spike closer to the edge of the structure as he fell, allowing him to grasp the platform with a steel like grip, his other hand moving up to grasp Doc’s leg, yanking him over the tower. Spike watched the demon fall for a long moment, the small body impacting the debris filled ground with a satisfying crunch. A whimper of fear and pain pulled Spike from his vigil. With a deft swing, he pulled himself back onto the platform and rushed to Dawn’s side.

“I’m sorry, bit,” Spike said softly as he quickly released her from her bindings.

“You saved me,” Dawn replied and wrapped her arms around his waist in relief.

“Let’s get out of here,” Spike said, pulling Dawn from the edge.

As she stepped away a single drop of blood fell from her skin to land on the platform under her feet. As if in slow motion, Spike watched helplessly as it slid sensuously over the dirty metal towards the open air below them. The drop sat for a long defiant moment, clutching to the platform, before falling gracefully from the tower, to strike an invisible spot mid air. The sky crackled with energy as the bead started a chain reaction, the air filling with bright white cracks, spreading out like broken ice.

**********************************************

The force of the hammer caused Glory to fly back into a pile of rubble. Glory had blood running down her face. She looked at Buffy in anguish, slowly rising to her feet.

“You’re just a mortal. You couldn’t understand my pain,” Glory cried, the pain of her wounds taking its toll on her body.

“Then I’ll just have to settle for causing it,” Buffy sneered, hitting Glory again across the face with the hammer. Glory fell to her knees with a cry. With murder in her eyes, Glory flipped her hair from her face and rose again to her feet.

“You can’t kill me,” Glory spat at the advancing Slayer.

“ No,” Buffy replied with a smile. “But my arm’s not even tired yet.” The hammer swung with the force of 100 men knocking the hell goddess to her knees yet again. Buffy didn’t even let her rise again before blow after blow rained down on the hell goddess. Buffy stopped for a moment to look at the pathetic creature at her feet. Glory pushed her hair off her face and looked at Buffy with tears in her eyes.

“Stop it!” Glory cried as she struggled to rise to her feet.

“You’re a god,” Buffy said with a smirk and another blow from the hammer knocking Glory to the ground. “Make it stop.”

Buffy sauntered over to Glory and knelt at her side. She slammed the hammer down onto Glory’s prone body over and over again, the rage she felt at almost losing her sister causing the Slayer to override the woman’s sensibilities. Buffy stopped her incessant blows as the bruised and bloodied face of Glory morphed into that of Ben.

“I’m sorry.” Ben coughed, blood dribbling from his chapped lips.

“Not as sorry as I am,” Buffy replied with a resigned grimace as she lifted the troll hammer to her shoulder.

***********************************************

The pair on the tower watched helplessly as the fissure grew, blue waves of lightning flashing from the bright depths. Dawn turned and buried her face in Spike’s chest, her arms clutching him frantically as a large dragon broke free of the confining gateway to fly screaming its triumph through the early morning air.

*****************************************

“Can you move?” Giles voice asked. Buffy watched as he came to kneel beside Ben’s body.

“Need a minute.” Ben gasped as a shudder of pain wracked his body.

“Buffy, go see to Dawn,” Giles said quietly. Buffy’s gaze met with that of her Watcher’s for a long moment before she nodded in understanding, quickly disappearing up the tower.

“She could’ve killed me,” Ben said.

“No she couldn't,” Giles replied. “Never. And sooner or later Glory will re-emerge, and ... make Buffy pay for that mercy. And the world with her. Buffy even knows that...and still she couldn't take a human life.” Ben smiled softly in relief.

“She's a hero, you see,” Giles continued, removing his glasses from his pocket to give them a good wipe. “She's not like us.”

“Us?” Ben asked as he watched Giles slide the glasses on. Giles looked upon the half man in pity before a calm mask took over his features and he placed his hand over the man’s mouth and nose. Ben struggled weakly for air, unable to move his broken body.

**************************************************

“Dawn!” Buffy screamed as she reached the top of the tower.

“Buffy?” Dawn whispered, pulling back from Spike’s embrace. She found herself squished between the vampire and the Slayer.

“I'm so sorry,” Dawn whispered, a lone tear traveling down her face.

“Shhh.” Buffy hushed with a shake of her head.

“I have to jump,” Dawn said simply. “The energy…”

“It’ll kill you,” Buffy protested as she gripped her sister tighter.

“I know,” Dawn said softly. “Buffy, I know about the ritual. I have to stop it.”

“No!” Spike said, pulling his girls against him.

“Spike’s right. I won’t let you,” Buffy argued.

“You know you have to let me,” Dawn cried, tears running freely down her cheeks. “It has to have the blood.”

“Then it can have mine,” Buffy stated, pulling back from their embrace. “The monks made you out of me. Our blood is the same. It can have mine.”

“There has to be another way,” Spike growled, his eyes flashing yellow at the though of losing either Summers girl.

“We don’t have time,” Buffy said sadly.

“Buffy!” Spike whispered, his arms reaching towards her in desperation. With a sigh Buffy fell into his arms, gripping Spike as tightly as he held her.

“I love you, Buffy,” Spike whispered in her ear. Buffy pulled back and gave him a sweet smile before her lips pressed against his, telling him without words how she felt.

“I can’t let you do it.” Buffy broke from Spike’s embrace as her sister’s voice broke through the fog of sensations that surrounded her at his touch.

“Dawn!” Buffy watched in dismay as her sister moved to the edge of the platform and looked back at the pair still holding each other in a loose embrace.

“I love you Buffy and I can’t let you do it.”

“Dawn NO!” Buffy screamed, moving towards her sister.

“No,” Dawn replied, holding her hand up to stop her sister. “They need you. You’re the Slayer. I’m not even real. I’m the key. This is what I was made to do and it's time for me to lock this door.” Dawn turned and placed herself right on the edge of the tower looking down into the crackling doorway. A sad smile graced her lips as she turned back to face her sister and surrogate big brother.

“Tell everyone I love them. And tell mom I’m sorry, for everything,” Dawn said with a brave smile on her face. “Spike you look after them, or I’ll come back and haunt you.” Spike smiled and nodded sadly through his tears.

“Dawn!” Buffy cried, tears streaming down her face as she took a step towards her sister. The rumbling in the air grew louder as the walls between dimensions began to crack and crumble.

“It’s time.” Dawn turned and looked down into the fissure, her dark eyes reflecting the blue-white glow. With a deep breath she took a step back, her eyes turning to a bright green, then flung herself into oblivion.

Buffy and Spike rushed to the edge to see Dawn fall into the blinding light.

To Be Continued

***Chapter 39 *** Rumblings ***