Author's Chapter Notes:
Tell me what you think. If I get half as many reviews as hits to the chapter I will be one happy and motivated writer.
Chapter 39 ***Rumblings***

Dawn watched as her sister embraced her best friend, their love almost palpable. The pain that filled Spike’s entire being was almost too much for Dawn to bear. This was her fault, not theirs. This was her duty. The world needed the Slayer, not a Key. Dawn knew she was too dangerous to keep around for her sister and for humanity.

“I can’t let you do it.” Dawn said quietly, her eyes sad, fear filing her entire body.

“Dawn!” Buffy cried. Dawn moved to the edge of the platform and looked back at the pair still holding each other in a loose embrace. At least her last wish was being fulfilled.

“I love you Buffy and I can’t let you do it.”

“Dawn NO!” Buffy screamed, moving towards her sister.

“No.” Dawn replied, holding her hand up to stop her sister, tears in her eyes. “They need you. You’re the Slayer. I’m not even real. I’m the key. This is what I was made to do and it's time for me to lock this door.” Dawn turned and placed herself right on the edge of the tower looking down into the crackling doorway. It was a long way down. A sad smile graced her lips as she turned back to face her sister and surrogate big brother, pain almost negating the feeling of rightness at her selfless act.

“Tell everyone I love them. And tell mom I’m sorry, for everything,” Dawn said with a brave smile on her face, her insides quaking with fear. “Spike, you look after them, or I’ll come back and haunt you.” Dawn’s attempt at levity making Spike smile and nod sadly.

“Dawn!” Buffy cried, tears streaming down her face as she took a step towards her sister. The rumbling in the air grew louder as the walls between dimensions began to crack and crumble. Flashes of lightning hit the buildings surrounding the lot, changing the normal brick and mortar to scenes of unspeakable horror. Demons ten and twenty feet tall looked about their new world with hungry eyes, their mouths dropping open as the scent of humans filled their senses.

“It’s time.” Dawn turned and looked down into the fissure, her dark eyes reflecting the blue-white glow. Such a long way down. Dawn shuddered as the reality of the situation hit her. It was one thing to say that you would jump, it was completely different to take your life into your own hands and sacrifice it for the greater good. With a deep breath, she took a step back, her eyes turning to a bright green as the power of the key filled her body. With a final whispered farewell to this world, Dawn took a step back then flung herself into oblivion.

A green glow surrounded Dawn’s body as she entered the fissure. The bands of electric blue light wrapped around her, stopping her speedy descent. Buffy and Spike watched in awe as the green glow that made up Dawn grew brighter and brighter. Her skin took on the emerald pallor until it seemed to melt away leaving a pure white light they had to look away from for fear of burning their eyes. A low hum filled the air, growing in volume until it was at an ear splitting intensity, rising in octave until it moved beyond normal human or even vampire range yet still causing chills to ripple down everyone’s backs.

The tower beneath their feet began to shudder and creak. Spike grabbed Buffy’s arm and pulled her from the edge, urging the stumbling Slayer to move faster down the unsteady structure. All around them, beams and bricks fell from the tower, creating obstacles for the fleeing pair to dodge in their head long flight to safety.

Moving at Slayer and vampire top speed, Spike grabbed Buffy around the waist and dropped the final twenty feet in an instant. He hit the ground running, helping Buffy to her feet to run at his side. A quick glance showed the rest of the Scoobies already making a speedy retreat.

They had just passed the fence to the lot that held the tower when time seemed to stop. The air grew thick as molasses, a low rumbling filled the early morning hours. The fleeing group moved as if in slow motion, their momentum paused as they tried to escape the impending disaster. The air grew thicker, the rumbling louder as the Slayer and vampire moved as one, taking a giant leap into the air, movements almost coming to a standstill as time seemed to freeze. Not a hair moved, breath froze within gasping lungs, hearts suspended mid beat. The silence was absolute nothing piercing the unnatural calm.

All at once everything resumed. A sonic boom filled the air; a brilliant white light surrounded everything, burning eyes with its intensity. Time began again as Buffy and Spike resumed their flight through the air to hit the cement hard enough to break normal bones and even some supernatural ones. The tower collapsed with an eruption of sound, the screech of metal causing shivers to run down their backs as the group blinked around the spots the brilliant light had blinded them with. Then, as if nothing had happened, there was silence.

Buffy pulled herself to her feet to look back at the destroyed lot. Behind her the Scoobies moved in closer, their eyes filled with shock and sorrow. Spike moved to stand behind Buffy, adding his silent support.

“No!” He heard her whisper, just before her legs gave way. With a great sob Buffy collapsed, Spike’s arms the only thing keeping her from landing on the ground again. Sobs wracked her small frame as the finality hit her. Her sister was gone. Spike gathered her up into his arms, rocking her body as grief filled her.

Xander opened his mouth for a moment, only to close it again without a word at the warning glare Giles sent his way.

They all stood for a long moment, loss stealing the words they might utter, unable to comprehend what might make the situation easier. Buffy’s sobs had lessened to silent shivers before anyone could find the will to speak.

“Spike,” Willow said softly, wincing at the loudness of her voice in the silence. Spike looked up towards the red-haired witch. “The sun.” With a nod, Spike gathered Buffy up into his arms and rose to his feet. One by one the rest of the gang turned to follow after the vampire as he made his way down the street towards the sewer tunnel that would help him get Buffy home in the early morning light. They reached the manhole and Spike set Buffy on her feet long enough to pry the grate from the ground.

“I’ll take the Slayer home,” Spike said as he urged Buffy to precede him down the ladder. “We’ll meet you all at the shop after—.” Spike stopped mid sentence and cocked his head to the side, listening.

A faint coughing noise could be heard coming from the abandoned lot. Buffy stopped her descent and looked towards the broken fence. Dust still swirled, obscuring their view inside. The group cautiously made their way towards the broken tower, disbelief clouding their features. The dust started to settle as a body walked through the opening, waving a hand before her face, trying to escape the filth.

The Scoobies stood in shock, staring at the figure making her way out of the debris. Bare feet stumbled over the rubble before finding purchase on the paved road.
The wounded woman looked up at the assembled group, a smile gracing her dirt streaked features.

“Buffy. . . . .”


***To Be Continued***