****Chapter 5****Love?****

Spike’s fangs slid into Buffy’s wrist, wrenching the breath from her lips. Scorching heat ran from the twin marks causing her to flush with pleasure. In a haze, Buffy noticed her friends move in closer to at her gasp..

“I’m fine.” Buffy looked at Giles with glazed eyes communicating silently. She saw Giles nod slightly then herd her friends from the room. Spike continued to suck harder, pulling more of her blood into his battered system. Buffy turned to her sister, who remained at her side, refusing to leave Spike and Buffy.

“Dawnie, we’ll be fine.” Buffy said softly. “Just go up front and I’ll be up in a minute.” She felt Dawn leave the room but didn’t look up from the decimated vampire. Buffy didn’t hear the door close as she continued to stroke Spike’s hair, marveling at its softness. She whimpered softly as Spike bit down harder, sending another shock wave of pleasure through her body. Buffy watched as the bruised faded from their dark purple color, and the swelling on Spike’s face to abate.

“Spike.” Buffy whispered. His eyes flickered briefly but did not open. A soft rumbling sound came from deep inside Spike’s chest. Buffy’s breathing sped up and her heart began to pound. Wave after wave of heat pulsed through her body as Spike’s tongue continued to softly caress in time with his drinking. Buffy closed her eyes to stem the torment he was unleashing on her willing body. She moaned low in her throat as she felt her heart skip a beat.

Buffy was dimly aware that Spike stopped sucking on her wrist and felt a pang of disappointment. She opened her eyes in surprise and saw Spike shirt back to his human face, mouth still pressed to her wrist. His tongue gently licked the cut until the bleeding stopped then lie still, the quiet purr still emanating from his chest. Buffy continued to pant and caress Spike’s hair as he stopped all movement and sound again. She laid Spike’s head upon the floor gently and pressed her lips lightly against his smooth forehead.

Her eyes widened in shock as she realized what she had done. Buffy quickly wrapped her tender wrist then pulled the door to the front of the store open. All eyes turned to her and Buffy smiled weakly.

“He’s, well I’d say sleeping but it’s kinda hard to tell.” Buffy said with a smile. “He’s non-dusty.” Dawn pushed past her sister and ran to Spike’s side. She smiled up at Buffy, who had turned to watch Dawn rush to Spike.

“He looks better,” Dawn said excitedly. “He’s not as pale and his bruises are lighter.”

“Miracles of Slayer’s blood. The best there is.” Buffy replied sardonically.

“We need to move him.” Anya called out. “He can’t stay here.” Xander nodded.

“Let’s load him up and we can drop him off at his crypt.”

“We will NOT!!” Dawns screeched, an enraged expression on her face. “He can stay at our house.. Mom won’t mind, *she* likes him.” Dawn glared at Xander.

“He can have my room.” Buffy said quietly. “I’ll bunk with Dawn.” Dawn grinned t her sister and jumped up to hug her hard. Xander looked about to comment but a glare from Anya stopped him. Buffy walked over to Xander and put a comforting hand on his arm. “He saved Dawn from Glory.” Xander gave her a sheepish grin and nodded.

“Buffy, why don‘t you phone Joyce while I bring the car around.” Giles offered with at small smile.

“I’ll call mom.” Dawn half yelled as she leapt for the phone. Buffy watched her sister with an amused smile before turning back to look at Spike. She shook her head in disbelief.

‘Why would Spike risk his unlife for Dawn?’ Buffy asked herself silently. ‘He is a soulless killer, why did he let Glory do those things to him?’

“Cause he loves us.” Dawn said quietly. Buffy looked at her sister startled, realizing she had spoken the last part aloud. “Well he’s totally in love with you, I’m just like a kid sister to him.” Dawn crossed her arms over her chest and pouted slightly. Buffy looked at her sister in astonishment.

“Huh?”

“Oh please, like you never noticed his hanging around, and his always asking about you, and his help-”

“Helping?” Buffy yelped. “ His *helping*, as you call it is cause we have to pay him.. He hangs around cause he is annoying not cause he lo-, cause he is in lo-, “ Buffy choked on the word and shook her head in denial. “No. You are wrong. A vampire can’t love a slayer.”

“Ya cause you and Angel were never together for like three years.” Dawn scoffed.

“Angel is different.” Buffy protested. “He has a soul. He’s not a ki-”

“Hello.” Xander called to the bickering sisters. “A little Slayer strength would go a long way at getting the undead weight moved.” Xander laughed at his incredibly lame joke but winced when no one joined in . Buffy rushed to help Xander and Giles slowly move Spike onto the small stretcher board Giles kept in the training room. Giles and Buffy carefully lifted the board and carried the still unconscious vampire to Giles’ car. They laid the board on the backseat and rearranged Spikes limbs so he could rest fully, of not a little uncomfortably, for the short ride to Buffy’s house. Dawn, Willow, Tara and Anya climbed in Xanders car to follow behind.

Buffy and Giles rode in silence. Not a word was spoken when they reached the Summer’s residence and were ushered in by a worried mom. Joyce fussed over the unconscious vampire, trying to make him as comfortable as possible in her daughters bed. Buffy had to firmly grab her mom and pull her from the room so the vampire wouldn’t be disturbed. The gang, feeling a little useless and tired despite the early hour, bade the Summers women farewell and left to their respective homes, the witches catching a ride with Giles.

Buffy closed the door behind her friends and watcher and let out a sigh of relief. She heard her mom and sister talking in the kitchen. Not feeling up to a discussion, Buffy went upstairs to her room. She walked in fully intending to just grab her pajamas and retreat to Dawn’s room, but she found herself unable to look away from the vampire in her bed. Spike lay motionless against the pillows, his pale skin contrasting dramatically with the still evident bruises. Slayers blood combined with Vampire healing had reduced the swelling and bruising. Spike’s hair had lost most of the styling get from Buffy’s previous stroking, causing his hair to curl and fall in his eyes. Buffy’s hand moved unbidden to brush the soft curls from his brow.

“Thank you for saving Dawn.” Buffy murmured, her hand continuing to stroke his peroxide locks. She looked on his still face and smiled softly. “Maybe you aren’t so bad.” Buffy continued to caress his hair for a moment more, unaware of the fugue standing at the partially opened door. Joyce Summers smiled as her daughter pulled herself away from the vampire, and after checking to make sure no sunlight would get in, go to her dresser to retrieve her pajamas. Joyce slid quietly down the hall, closing the door to her room just as Buffy came out of her own room, shutting the door softly behind her.

After changing and washing for bed, Buffy knocked softly on her sister’s door. She entered the room to find Dawn already in bed, half asleep. Buffy slid in beside her sister and flicked the beside lamp off.

“How’s he look?” Dawn whispered.

“He’s ok. Should be fine in a couple of days.” Buffy whispered back.

“Just fine?” Dawn asked with a coy smile her sister couldn’t see in the darkened room but could hear just fine in her voice. “Are you sure he is just fine.” Dawn asked pointedly.

“Dawn he’s a vampire.” Buffy blushed unaware her sister could see the color change.

“Didn’t stop you before.”

“Dawn, he’s an evil, soulless killer. Now enough it’s been a long day, go to sleep.”

“How evil is he really, Buffy. When was the last time he hurt you or the Scooby’s.” Buffy was silent for a long moment.

“Ok so not so much. But it’s just cause he has the chip to stop him.” Dawn rolled to her side facing Buffy and stared at her in the dark.

“What does that chip stop him from doing. Sure he can’t bite or hit humans, but he can still strike a match, can’t he.” Dawn took a deep breath. “I mean he could blow up all up, or burn our house while we sleep, or have minions do his killing or he could poison us or-”

“Ok, I get the point.” Buffy exclaimed exasperatedly. “Spike isn’t as bad as he liked us to think.. Now SLEEP!!” Buffy rolled over so her back was to her sister. Dawn sighed heavily then smiled. Maybe Buffy wasn’t hopeless after all. She closed her eyes and was soon asleep.

Buffy lay awake watching the clock. It finally changed from 11:59 to 12:00 after what seemed like an eternity. She rally ought to patrol but the scare with Glory had took its toll and Buffy loathed going out into the night right then. Sleep, however, was elusive as her mind repeated Dawn’s words over and over again. Buffy didn’t know what to think about Spike anymore.

‘Is he really that bad.’ She asked herself silently. ‘He’s a big help even if he is annoying. And he never really hurt any of my friends, only threatened. What if Dawn’s right. Does he love me?’

Sleep was a long time in coming.