***Chapter 7***Confused***

She leaned against the railing, panting slightly. He knew. Somehow Spike had put two and two together and know she had given him her blood. Buffy shivered as she remembered the feelings she had as Spike's fangs pushed into her yielding flesh. Buffy became flushed as she relived the feeling of Spike's tongue lapping hungrily at the blood his body craved. The sound of her mother's voice broke Buffy from her traitorish thoughts. She shook her head to clear it, running her fingers through her hair. With a calm that she did not feel, Buffy walked downstairs, meeting her mom in the living room.

“How is he doing.” Joyce asked, giving a worried glance to where the vampire was resting. “Is he still in pain?” Buffy blushed lightly at the question, running her hand through her hair nervously.

“He’s awake.” Joyce smiled widely at Buffy’s words. “Glory broke his voice box so he can’t talk.” Buffy’s mom sighed and nodded in understanding.

“How will he ever survive without his voice.” Joyce sighed, a smile threatening to escape. Buffy was less successful as a giggle passed her lips. “Is he hungry? Rupert dropped off some blood before he left for the store.” Buffy grew pale at her mom’s words. She cast an apprehensive glance in the direction of her room.

“Uh, m-maybe. Buffy stuttered, her hand absently rubbing the bandage still on her wrist. A flash of heat flooded Buffy’s body as her fingers passed over the still unhealed bite marks, causing her to gasp. Before her mother could respond, Buffy grabbed her coat from the back of the sofa and practically ran for the door.

“I forgot, I have to meet Willow.” Buffy called as she pulled the door open. “I’ll be back later.” The door slammed shut behind her as Buffy rushed down the walk. With a burst of Slayer speed, Buffy ran the entire distance to the Magic Shop, not stopping till she was standing outside the door. Buffy hesitated, her hand on the door knob. She stared at the knob, lost in thought.

‘What is happening to me?’ Buffy asked herself. ‘I can’t seriously be thinking of *Spike* like that.” Buffy’s hand gripped the handle tighter as another flash of the night before flickered through her mind. The door knob turned in Buffy’s grasp before being yanked out of it completely. A woman pushed past the startled Slayer, derailing Buffy’s train of thought. Buffy walked onto the Magic Box, closing the door softly behind her.

Buffy looked at her assembled friends. Anya stood behind the counter ringing customers through, a huge grin on her face as she took their money. Giles was to her right helping a handful of older women. Willow and Tara sat at the round table flipping through a stack of books. Tara whispered in Willow’s ear, pulling a giggle from the Witch. Buffy smiled as she walked over to the table and sat down.

“Hey Buffy. How’s the undead English patient doing.” Willow smiled at her best friend . Buffy rested her hands on the table top and sighed.

“Glory really did a number on him. He can’t talk. But he looks a lot better. He’ll be back in shape in a few days.” Buffy began to absently rub her wrist, staring intently at the table.

“I’m glad he’s ok.” Tara said quietly, giving Buffy a small smile. “He like to pretend to be all big and tough but he’s got a soft spot for Dawn.” Buffy looked up from the table with a shocked expression. “She’s like a little sister to him.” Willow looked at her lover and nodded with a smile.

“I’m glad it was Spike that was with her.” Willow turned back to Buffy and gave her a concerned glance. “How is Dawnie doing?”

“She’s fine. She was more worried about Spike then anything else. I think she has a crush on him.” Buffy smiled a little at that.

“Well ya, he is a hottie.” Willow gave Tara a look causing both girls to giggle. Buffy looked at the witches aghast, her hand stopping its movement.

“Are you nuts?” Buffy sputtered. “Have you forgotten the all the times he tried to kill us. Not to mention the kidnapping?” Buffy stared at Willow, her mouth till open in shock.

“Oh come on Buffy. He may have tried to kill us but he has never really hurt us.” Willow looked at Tara, a bemused expression on her face. “Which really made no sense did it?!” Tara patted her girlfriends hand sympathetically. “Spike talks big but he has never really hurt one of us. You can’t tell me the Big Bad routine isn’t hot.” Buffy felt a blush move up her neck.

“He’s evil, Wills. A soulless, evil vampire. Who saved my sisters life.” Willow just smiled and patted Buffy’s hand. Buffy sighed and looked away from the witches to study a speck of dust on the table. Willow gave Tara a look and pulled her book closer.

Buffy began to rub her wrist distractedly. The twin punctures began to tingle softly as she ran her fingers over them. A flash of heat flowed through her, causing Buffy to bite back a gasp. She looked up, relieved to find the witches engrossed in their books again. Buffy pushed back from the table and walked to her training room. She closed the door behind her and stared at the room.

Buffy could see the spot where Spike had laid broken upon the ground, his blood seeping into the covering on the dusty floor. Slowly, Buffy walked to the couch against the wall, still staring at the blood soaked mat. She sat back, curling her legs beneath her, her eyes never leaving the spot. In her mind Buffy could see Spike still lying there, smashed and bleeding. Her chest ached as she thought of the sacrifice Spike had made for her sister. She knew nothing she could ever do could thank Spike enough for the pain he endured.

‘Maybe Dawn is right.’ Buffy thought to herself for the second time in as many days. ‘No one could do something like that unless they had feelings.’ Buffy pulled the bandage from her wrist to stare at the unhealed marks.

The twin punctures were raised slightly, the wound closed but not healing. Buffy ran her fingers over the marks in fascination. Never had a bite not started to heal. A spark of heat ran through her body at the first touch of the bite. Buffy circled the bite with her index finger, waves of heat pulsing through her body, causing her to face to flush and her heart to beat faster. The noise of something hitting the door caused Buffy to jump up startled. She rushed to the door and flung it open with a loud band.

All eyes fell to Buffy as she scanned the room for danger. Buffy’s gaze fell on Dawn who stood with a basketball in her hand and a sheepish look on her face.

“Uh, hi Buffy.” Dawn said meekly. Buffy’s eyes softened when she realized what the sound was. “I didn’t know you were back there.”

“How was your day Dawn?” Buffy asked, walking over to her. The sisters sat at the table as Dawn told Buffy about her day. Buffy half listened to her sister, her mind working overtime.

“-’w Spike?” At the mention of the vampire, Buffy broke from her thoughts. Buffy stared at her sister for a second before the question registered.

“He is doing ok. He is sore and Glory broke his voice box so he can’t talk. It will take a while for that to heal, but other than that he is getting better real fast.” Dawn let out a small giggle, covering her mouth self-consciously.

“He can’t say a word?” Buffy shook her head, a smile tugging at her lips.

“Can’t even make a peep.” Dawn broke first and laughed helplessly.

“H-how will h-he ever-rr surr-vive?” Dawn giggled, breathlessly. “N-no talking.” Buffy joined her sister in her laughter. Willow and Tara, having heard the conversation joined in.

It was a long moment before the group could pull themselves together. Buffy gripped her stomach and watched as Dawn wiped the tears from her eyes. The group got themselves under control, a stray giggle escaping every once and a while.

“We should get home.” Buffy said, rising to her feet. Dawn nodded, and the sisters said good bye to the group. They walked along the sidewalk towards home, Dawn bouncing the ball ahead of her.

“Can I see him?” Dawn asked quietly. “Is he ok for me to visit?” Buffy smiled reassuredly to her sister.

“He’s fine, I’m sure he would love a visit from you.” Dawn stared at the ball as it bounced, a downhearted expression on her face. Buffy swiped the ball from her sisters grasp and backed away, dribbling it slowly.

“Bet’cha you can’t get this back.” Dawn’s eyes lit up in defiance as Buffy smiled in challenge.

“Bet’cha I can.”

Buffy took off down the street with her sister hot on her heel, the sounds of their laughter filling the air. ‘Everything’s ok.’ Buffy reassured herself as she dogged an attempt to grab the ball by Dawn. ‘But what am I to do about Spike.’ At Buffy’s thoughts of the half naked vamp in her bed, a wave of heat to course through her body, causing her to drop the ball. Dawn scooped it up with a laugh and took off at a full run down the street. Buffy jogged behind her sister half-heartedly, suddenly in no hurry to get home.