***Chapter 8***Running***

Spike shifted uncomfortably in the bed, the springs squeaked in protest. He winced as the movement pulled painfully on his wounds. A soft smile crossed his lips, his hand resting over his heart where Buffy had touched him.

‘She gave me her *blood!*’ Spike thought unbelievably. ‘Does she have any idea what this means?’ Spike ran his hand through his sleep tousled hair, the grin refusing to leave his lips. Spike shifted again as the pants he wore became impossibly tighter. He let out a soundless sigh, running his fingers through his hair again. He desperately needed to relieve some tension but was reluctant when Joyce or Dawn could walk in at any moment. For some reason these Summers’ women meant something to him.

Spike heard the door open and bang shut downstairs, the sounds of Dawn s laughter filling the quiet house. He smiles as he heard the door open again and the melodious sound of Buffy’s voice floated up the stairs. He grimaced in discomfort at her laughter.

‘Bloody hell!’ Spike shifted his position again before giving up entirely. Gingerly he removed the black jeans and tossed them into the chair in the corner. With a sigh of relief, Spike leaned back onto the pillows and closed his eyes. A noiseless giggle escaped his lips as he realized just where he was. Who would’ve thought he, William the Bloody, Slayer of Slayers, would end up naked in a Slayers bed.

* * * * * *

Buffy got to her house in time to hear Dawn gloat to their mom about her *win* over the Slayer. Dawn could barely suppress her enthusiasm as she bounced around her mother in the kitchen as Joyce placed a mug in the microwave.

“I was just too smart for her.” Dawn chortled in delight. “I guess the Slayer had been slacking in her training.

“Hey.” Buffy protested half-heartedly, with a laugh. “ I let you win.” Dawn gave her sister the typical ‘ya right’ look before launching into another, if not exaggerated, account of her victory. Buffy sat on the stool behind the counter, watching her sister absently. She rested her elbows on the counter and propped her head on her hands.

Buffy’s thoughts returned to Spike. He was just up those stairs, lying in her bed. Why would an evil, soulless thing protect her sister, risking his own life in the process. ‘Ok, so he’s not so evil anymore.’ Buffy thought to herself. ‘AS much as I hate it Dawn is right. He could’ve hurt us a million ways that wouldn’t’ve made his chip go off.’ Buffy lowered her hands to the counter and began to caress the bite mark again. A small smile crossed her lips as she remembered the feel of his tongues caress, her body flushed with heat.

The microwave beeped, pulling Buffy from her thoughts.

“I got it.” Dawns screeched as she hurled for the microwave, pulling out the mug and giving it a curious glance. “Eww.” She exclaimed as she thrust the offending object at her mom. Joyce laughed and took the mug from her daughter.

“I was just about to take Spike up his mug of blood.” Joyce glanced at Buffy, a secret smile on her lips. “Buffy why don’t you take this to him. I’m sure he would love some company.” Dawn opened her mouth to argue, but a glance from her mom shut her mouth with a snap. Buffy, having missed the exchange took the mug from Joyce, reluctantly, and made for the stairs. Buffy glanced down, strangely not surprised to find a bendy straw and mini marshmallows floating in the cup. All to quickly Buffy found herself outside her door. Buffy placed her hand on the knob and turned it slowly, pushing the door open when it gave way.

The room was dark, the pale light from the bedside lamp the only illumination. Spike laid on his back, the comforter having fallen from his body to pool around his hips, leaving his broad chest for Buffy’s perusal. Buffy walked silently to the bed, watching Spike’s closed eyes with apprehension. Her gaze fell to his smooth, pale chest. In the short time she was gone his wounds had healed more. The finger holes around his heart had faded to a light red color from their nasty purple. The shallow cuts and bruised were all but gone.

‘Who knew the miracles of Slayer’s Blood.’ Buffy thought wryly, as she placed the mug quietly on the bed side table. Her gaze fell on the stuffed pig, still sitting there in his place of honor. A smile lit Buffy’s face as she remember the little pat Spike had given it. Buffy gave the sleeping vampire one more lingering gaze before turning away. She was stopped by the pressure of a hand gripping her wrist. Buffy turned to look at Spike, her eyes firmly captured by his piercing blue ones. The hand on Buffy wrist tugged her closer until she was sitting on the bed beside the vampire. She was unable to look away as she felt the hand on her wrist loosen and begin to caress the skin softly. Buffy bit back a gasp as his fingers brushed over the bite mark, causing a flash of heat to course through her body. Spike watched in amazement as Buffy shifted closer to him, her eyes never leaving his. Spike’s stomach growled, pulling Buffy gaze from his. She smiled sheepishly.

“I bet your hungry.” Buffy saw something flicker in Spike’s face and hastily added. “Mom heated you up some blood.” Buffy reached for the cup with her free hand, the other still captured in Spike’s caress. Spike took the mug and raised it to his mouth.

Buffy watched, transfixed, as his lips rapped around the straw, drawing the blood from the cup. His cheeks hollowed, making his cheek bones more pronounced, as Spike sucked hungrily at the straw. His lips shifted into a smile as he noticed the little marshmallows bobbing in the thick liquid. Spike continued to caress Buffy’s wrist, making her heartbeat jump and her breath to come in gasps. Buffy continued to stare as spike moved his hand around the cup to grasp the straw and tip it, allowing the marshmallow to fall into his awaiting mouth. Spike set the mug back on the table and smiled his thanks to Buffy. She looked down shyly.

“You have healed nicely. You’ll be up and about in no time.” Spike smiled and raised the wrist he was still caressing and ran his thumb over the marks. Buffy pulled her hand from his with a jerk. Buffy covered the wound self-consciously, refusing to meet his gaze.

“You were hurt and you saved my sister and you could’ve die-” Buffy vice trailed off as Spike took her chin in his hand and raised it so that her eyes could meet his. Spike opened his mouth to speech before giving Buffy a frustrated look.

‘Thank you.’ He mouthed slowly with a smile. Buffy returned his smile.

“We need to get you a pad to write in or somethi-” Buffy’s eyes lit up as she rushed to her closet, pulling it open and falling to her knees. Spike watched rapt, a smile on his face, as Buffy pulled out items only to toss them behind her in her haste to find something. “I know it’s in here somew- Aha!” Buffy stood up, holding a small white board aloft.

“When we all lost our voices when the Gentlemen came to town Willow and I got these boards so we could talk.” Buffy babbled as she returned to her spot on the bed and handed the board to Spike. Spike took it and removed the marker from his holder. He scribbled for a moment before turning the board for Buffy to read.

“Thanks, luv.” Buffy flushed in pleasure. Spike took Buffy’s hand, raising it to his lips when the door flew open and Dawn rushed in.

“Spike! I’m so glad your ok. I was so scared and-” Dawn stared at the frozen couple. “Am I interrupting something.” Buffy jumped from the bed.

“NO!” Buffy scrambled back, giving Spike and her sister a wide eyed look. “Not interrupting anything. Nothing at all. Just leaving in fact.” With a panicked glance at the vampire, Buffy rushed from the room, slamming the door behind her.

.