***Chapter 9***Pain***

Spike closed his eyes and leaned back against the pillows with a sigh. He reluctantly opened one to glance at Dawn. She sat down in Buffy’s recently vacated spot, an expecting look on her face. Spike closed his eye again and ran his hand over his face with a silent groan.

“So was I interrupting.” Dawn bounced a little on the bed, trying to get the vampire’s attention. Spike opened his eyes and gave her his best ‘Big Bad’ glare. Dawn just giggled. “I guess so.” Spike covered his face with both his hands, swearing silently, causing Dawn to laugh. She clutched her stomach and laughed harder as Spike glared at her again, keeping up his silent curses. Spike watched at the teen continued to giggle, a small smile threatening to over come his lips. He grabbed the message board from where it had fallen, and with a quick wipe, scribbled for a few seconds.

‘Not funny bit.’ Dawn read as Spike held up the board for her to see.

“Oh it really is.” Dawn giggled again before her face sobered. “ How you feeling?” Spike smiled and mouthed ‘ok’. Dawn smiled before lowering her gaze to her hands. “Thank you for saving me.”

Spike quickly wiped off the board and scribbled, “Are you ok? They didn’t hurt you?” Dawn shook her head and looked at Spike. He smiled at her and brushed a lock of her hair behind her ear before writing another message.

“Now what was the night time patrol about Nibblet?” Dawn gave Spike a sheepish grin, ducking her head in embarrassment.

“Buffy says I’m just like her with her blood and all and I really wanna prove that I am useful and I really was coming to visit you I just was taking-” Dawns was cut off as Spike put his hand over her mouth. Spike removed his hand and shook his head wearily before writing another message.

‘Why were you coming to visit me?’ Spike didn’t notice the blush that stained Dawn’s cheeks a light pink.

“You’re the only one who doesn’t treat me like an alien. Besides I feel safe when I’m with you.” Spike’s eyes popped open wide as he sputtered. Dawn watched the silent vampire, scribble on the board, with obvious amusement.

‘Take that back.’ Was written in dark script. Dawn rolled her eyes and patted Spike’s arm consolably.

“Your still scary.” Spike gave Dawn a skeptical look and sighed. “ Of so not so much, but you are strong. Almost as strong as Buffy. Maybe more.” Spike smiled softly and covered his face with his hands, ashamed to have lost his Big Bad image. “Buffy thinks so too.” Spike’s hands dropped to his lap a he looked at Dawn intrigued. He wrote on his board, a small smile played on his lips.

‘What else does she say about me?’ Dawn ducked her head to hide her amusement.

“She said she was really glad it was you in the room with me.” Dawn said, when she got control of her mirth. Spike’s eyes filled with hurt.

“No no!” Dawn said hurriedly. “She didn’t mean cause you’d get hurt but because you were the only Scooby strong enough to stand up to Glory and still li-uh-unlive.” Spike mouthed the word *Scooby* in shock. Dawn gave him a sheepish grin.

“Of course you’re a Scooby Spike. You risked your life-uh-unlife to save me. You’re one of the good guys now.” Spike fell into deep thought. He didn’t know if he was offended or honored that Dawn called him a *good guy*. Dawn watched as Spike’s thought spun round and round in his head, a far away look in his eyes.

They sat in silence for a long moment when Dawn got tired of being ignored.

“So, you’re in love with Buffy?!” Spike’s eyes grew wide and flew to look at Dawn’s grinning face. Spike’s mouth opened and closed a few times as silent words he couldn’t think of, let alone say, tried to escape. Spike snapped his mouth shut and shook his head emphatically as he wrote on his board.

‘NO! Do I look NUTS? Love the Slayer??’ He quickly erased the board once Dawn had read it and added. ‘Has she said something?’ Dawn smiles at the expectant and wishful look on Spike’s face.

“She’s grateful for what you did.” Spike grumbled silently at Dawn’s words. “She doesn’t think you’re just a soulless killer anymore. She is starting to wonder if you have really changed.” Spike looked at Dawn incredulously.

‘When did you grow up and get so smart, bit?’ Spike held up for Dawn to see.

“I kinda shared a bed with her last night and she talks in her sleep.” Spike smirked at the revelation. “Plus, she likes to talk out loud when she thinks. She doesn’t even notice.” Dawn giggled. Spike grinned at her and pulled playfully on her hair. Dawn screeched in mock outrage and struggled to pull her hair from the hand that Spike had tangled it in. The struggled playfully for a bit, Dawn being careful to not hit Spike in any of his injured spots. They mock battle was cut short by a large yawn from Spike. He gave a shocked look and inadvertently released his hold on Dawn’s long brown hair.

“You look tired. I’ll get out of your hair.” Dawn stood up and walked to the door, panting lightly from the fight. She turned, her hand placed on the knob. “Thanks Spike, for everything. I knew I was safe with you.” Spike glared at the door as it softly shut behind Dawn.

‘Bloody hell.’ Spike hid his face in his hands again. ‘What ever happened to the Big Bad? The Scourge of Europe! Safe.’ Spike snorted and swung his legs off the bed, slowly raising to his feet. With painfully slow movements, Spike put on his pants and ran his hand through his hair yet again. Spike’s scowl was replaced with a small smile as he remembered Buffy’s hands in his hair. ‘Maybe there are worse things to be than one of the Slayer’s gang.’ He looked at the door thoughtfully. ‘I wonder where Buffy got to.’