Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews, the story is taking a mind of it's own!
Shit, shit, shit.

Spike leaned his head against the window, his eyes watching the passing scenery. This was bad. This was beyond bad. He cut his eyes to Dru in the rearview mirror cursing her under his breath.

What on earth possessed her to leave Buffy alone with Angel of all people?

“Why is Angel at our house?” Lorne spit the name out with venom. “I hate him.”

Dru sighed and maneuvered the car through traffic.

“Because he called and asked if he could come see us. What was I supposed to say? No?”

“Yes!” Spike and Lorne both yelled from the back seat.

Lynden snickered and turned to look at them.

“Just who is this Angel?”

“An idiot that’s who he is.” Lorne kicked against the floorboard with his foot.

“No, he’s a FUCKING idiot.” Spike growled from beside him.

Lynden just laughed and turned back to the front.

“What happened to both of you? Angel used to be the grandest thing that ever graced our steps. Why do you hate him so much?”

Lorne and Spike looked out their windows respectively.

They would die before they told the real truth of their malice for their older cousin. How he was their idol, their hero, and how one day he just didn’t have time for “children” anymore.

Spike closed his eyes. Angel’s absence had hurt him the most. He had loved Angel as a brother. He had taught him the ways of American football, had been his confidant and friend. But now Angel was the captain of the UC Sunnydale football team and his shit absolutely did not stink.

But Spike wasn’t worried about past grudges right now. Right now, he just wanted to get to the house and get his cousin away from HIS Buffy.

His fists clenched together.

She was HIS damn it! Everyone at Sunnydale High knew that, even the seniors knew that no one messed with Lynden Summers older sister. The few that did spout of about how hot she was or what they would like to do to her, were too scared to even utter her name now. Everyone knew that Buffy Summers was the property of Lynden, Lorne, and Spike. Of course, Buffy had bewitched a few of their other friends who had fallen under her spell, and they too were ready to fight for her honor. Spike loved to talk about her, one of his passions in life was aggravating Buffy. Her loved to see her cheeks flush and her green eyes narrow. He never meant anything he said to her, he just liked to get her going. Everyone also knew that while Spike could say whatever he wanted about her, he would put his fist in someone’s mouth if they dared to utter a foul word about her.

Because in Spike’s eyes, Buffy was his.

And he would make sure that Tall, Dark, and Forehead clearly understood that.




_____________________________________________________________________________

“So you go to UC Sunnydale?”

Buffy asked as Angel took a seat beside her on the couch. She watched his tall frame sink into the cushions, there really was no two ways about it.

Angel was hot.

“Yes, ma’am.”

Buffy smiled and giggled.

“What about you?”

She looked away and stared at the floor. She hated telling people where her education was coming from, she felt that they looked down on her somehow.

“I uh- I take online classes.” She turned back to face him, gauging his reaction.

“Really? That’s awesome. I wish I had the dedication to take some of my classes online. I’ve heard that they can be really tough.”

Buffy smiled and nodded her head, he actually seemed a bit impressed.

“Yeah, some of them can be a real bitch.” He laughed along with her. “But I have to work, so everything works out for me.”

Angel nodded and a bit of sympathy radiated from his gaze.

“Yeah. I came over one night to see the boys and your mom was here.”

Buffy’s brow furrowed.

“My mom was here?”

Angel nodded and looked away.

“Yeah, I think it was about a week or so ago. The boys were at your house, I think.”

Buffy remembered that day, the day her father had cut off Lynden’s insurance. She jumped a bit as Angel took her hand, watching his eyes soften.

“Buffy, I don’t really know you and you probably don’t want to hear it, but-” He squeezed her hand a bit, rubbing soft circles with his thumb. “I’m really sorry that all of this happened to you and your family.”

Instant tears came to her eyes and she fought hard to swallow them back down, nodding her head.

“I talked with your mom for a while and she told me some of the stuff you’ve went through. “ He shook his head, a look of distaste crossing his face. “I just don’t understand how anyone could do those things, how someone could just throw their family away.”

A tear rolled down her cheek and Angel instantly regretted bringing the subject up.

“Oh, Buffy. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have- I never meant to make you cry.”

Buffy wiped the tear away and shook her head.

“No. No, it’s alright. I just- I haven’t talked about in a while, you know?” He nodded his head. “I don’t know what happened either. I- I loved him. More than anything.”

Tears began to roll down her cheeks and Angel took her into his arms. She latched onto him and cried tears that had been hidden inside her for too long.

He kissed he hair, whispering softly against the golden strands.

“You’re an incredible person, Buffy. To put your life on hold for your family. You’re mom told me about all that you’ve done. I think you’re amazing.”

She burrowed further into him, crying harder. The words were a soothing balm against her soul. She finally pulled away from him, watching a comforting smile cross his face as he wiped her tears away.

“Feel better?”

She smiled and nodded.

“Thank you.”

He smiled and pushed a lock of hair behind her ear.

“Anytime.”

He turned and found a box of tissues on the table, handing her one.

“Thanks.” She watched his face. “You know, I think you’re pretty incredible. I mean, you don’t even know me and yet- I feel like we’ve known each other forever.”

He smiled and nodded.

“Maybe this is the beginning to a great friendship.”

“Yeah.“ She smiled and took his hand. “I’d like that.”