Chapter 11: Rainforest

Everywhere there was color. Clear, vibrant color dotted the walls, the furniture, and the carpet. Everywhere he looked there were tropical plants taking up space as people milled around. If he could tune out the beat of the music coming from the club, he could almost hear the forest birds chirping and the animals calling out. Dawn once again, had her hand around his wrist and started to drag Spike into the innards of the club and then suddenly she stopped. “Um, maybe I should go get her and bring her out. I guess I will be enough of a surprise for her to take and then when she sees you she is going to flip... in a good way.” Spike nodded understanding Buffy might have a coronary if she saw both of them at the same time. He stepped away to take a seat on an empty couch at the front room. Dawn nodded at him and headed for the club. The bouncer seemed to recognize her and let her in the club without charge.

She stepped into the club and immediately headed for the closest bar to look for Buffy; she usually helped bartend when the club was busy. She sauntered over and looked at the bartenders, they didn’t look familiar and Dawn figured they were new so she moved on to the bar across the room. As she neared, Dawn saw Sam flirting with a customer. Finally, a familiar face. He looked up and smiled wide. “Hey there, Buttons. Lizzy didn’t tell me you were coming.” He winked at the customer and moved over toward Dawn.

“She didn’t know I was coming. Do you know where she is?” Dawn was looking around trying to find the head of her sister. “It is really important.”

“Sorry, Dawn, she isn’t around. I think I know where she is though. Want me to take you to her?” Sam leaned on the bar as he talked with Dawn.

“Um, I need to talk to her, but she hasn’t returned my calls this past week,” Dawn pouted.

“Yeah, I know, sorry. She has been busy with um… something,” Sam tried to explain without going into too much detail.

“Well, could you tell me where she is, I could go find her. A friend and I rented a car.” Sam’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. Dawn was the only person that came and visited Lizzy, he wonder who came.

“Boyfriend, perhaps, getting big sis’ approval?” He kidded. He took Dawns arm and started to weave in and out of the crowd in the club, trying to get to the main entrance.

Dawn blushed, “No, nothing like that. Just a friend that missed Buf-Liz.” They stepped out of the club and Spike stood up as they approached.

“Sam, this is my friend, Spike. Spike this is Sam.” Both men shook hands as they sized the other one up. Sam heard that name before, but couldn’t place it. The man standing in front of him wasn’t tall by any means, and was very pale. Even his hair was white. Something about the stranger’s eyes made Sam uncomfortable. Sam wasn’t scared of Spike, just not sure what his connection to Elizabeth was and that made him uncomfortable. “Sam where is she?”

“Probably at the hospital. The night you called looking for her, all hell broke loose in here. Some guy came in here looking for trouble and thought the Forest was a good place to find it. Emily, one of our waitresses, was waiting on his table and he got fresh many times so she finally slapped him when he couldn’t get the hint. Well, he wasn’t too happy about it, so he kinda grabbed her before she knew what was happening. Before Lizzy could get to them however, he broke five of Emily’s ribs, her nose, and her arm. Liz had us call 911, but the guy wasn’t done and decided Lizzy was his next punching bag. He threw the first punch,” Sam chuckled. “Next thing he knew, he was unconscious in the back of the patrol car.” Dawn’s eyes widen and retracted as Sam told the story.

“Who’s Lizzy?” Spike was a little confused. Weren’t they here looking for Buffy.

“Elizabeth.” Sam answered.

“Buffy,” Dawn corrected, “Professionally, she goes by Elizabeth. Liz or Lizzy for short.”

Light dawned in Spike’s eyes as he realized that they were talking about his Buffy. “But her name isn’t Elizabeth.” He was still confused. When they had Buffy’s tomb stone made, everyone assumed her real name was Elizabeth until Dawn told them that her name was truly Buffy. Why Buffy would go by any other name, it seemed so important to be called Buffy.

“I know, but when she was writing, Buffy Summers didn’t sound as good as Elizabeth Summers.” Dawn explained patiently. When Dawn first found out about the change of name, she didn’t understand, either. Buffy always corrected people about the Elizabeth situation. “So why is Lizzy in the hospital?” She directed the question at Sam who was looking at Spike like he was a green alien. Obviously, Spike must not have been in contact with Liz or such a good friend, if he didn’t know that she went by Elizabeth, now. He was cold, too. Maybe he was a vampire. Liz told him of the Slayer and demons when after they became friends. She told him about having two vampire friends. Maybe this was one of them.

“Oh, yeah, well. Emily was beat up pretty bad, and Liz felt so bad about it happening. So she has been spending all her time at the hospital until Emily is released.”

“Ewwwe, she really must feel guilty, she HATES hospitals.”

Sam chuckled, “That’s an understatement. But I bet that is where she is. Room 434, County Hospital. If you want me to go with you, I can. We just hired a bunch of new bartenders to help with the crowds.”

Dawn looked at Sam gratefully, “No, I think we can handle it, thanks.” Dawn grabbed Spikes wrist and started towards the door. “See you around, Sam.”