Chapter 6

"We have to face your mum and Watcher sooner or later, pet," Spike told Buffy.

"I say later," Buffy pouted. "They're going to be so freaked out about all of this now."

"Yes, it's not often that the Slayer's mum is married to her Watcher." Spike pulled Buffy towards the front door of Giles' apartment.

"I'm pretty sure I'm breaking all kinds of Council rules," Buffy muttered as she let herself be led along by her mate.

"Makin' you own rules, if ask me." Spike lifted Buffy's hand to his mouth where he kissed the dainty appendage.

"Wait for us," a cacophony of voices said from a place behind Spike and Buffy.

Spike and Buffy turned to find the Scoobies and their LoveWater mates standing at the gate of the courtyard.

"Looks like the gang's all here," Spike quipped.

"Not quite," Xander replied. "We're missing Deadboy and Ms. Calendar."

"Remember how lovey-dovey they were at Giles and Joyce's wedding shower?" Willow asked. "I'd bet they're both regretting every little gesture about now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(FLASHBACK)

"Is everything in place?" Buffy looked around the living room anxiously. "Mom and Giles will be home soon."

"Why are you so freaked?" Anyanka asked in a curious voice. She couldn't understand why one of the most powerful beings on the planet was acting so jumpy.

"It's my mom ... and my Watcher!" Buffy tried to explain to the strange demon again. "Mom doesn't know I'm a Slayer! Last time I mentioned it, there were doctors, drugs, and straight jackets."

"Just have Spike demonstrate the bumps and fangs," Xander replied. Since finding his own LoveWater mate, the boy had come to accept the Slayer's relationship with a vampire. Honestly, it wasn't like he had any room to protest the whole demon thing.

"Maybe." Buffy looked doubtful. "I just wish she already knew and accepted it all."

"Maybe there was pillow talk," Xander said.

"I guess." Buffy gave an uncertain nod as the doorbell rang.

"People are here!" Anyanka rose to her feet. "You two answer the door. I'll get the food." She walked off towards the kitchen.

Xander and Buffy went to answer the door. Standing on the porch, they found Oz, Willow, and a young woman they didn't recognize.

"Hey, guys, this is Tara," Willow announced with a happy smile.

"Hi." Buffy gave Tara a welcoming smile.

"H-hi," Tara stammered. Even though both Willow and Oz had assured her she'd be welcomed by the Scoobies, the shy girl hadn't been as positive about meeting their friends as they had been.

A noisy black car rolled up in front of Buffy's house. The painted windows told most of the group exactly who had arrived.

"Your sweetie's here, Buff," Xander chortled. "That monstrosity he's driving is as old as he is."

Buffy stuck her tongue out at her friend. "You're just jealous. Kinda hard to go parking without anything to park."

"Don't remind me," Xander grimaced.

"Go in and get settled," Buffy told Willow and Oz. She gave Tara another smile of greeting before she slipped past them to go welcome Spike.

Spike grinned when Buffy practically tackled him in a hard Slayer hug. She pulled his head down, and he welcomed her sweet kisses.

"Must you do that in public?"

Buffy pulled away from Spike to give Cordelia a cheeky grin. "Every chance I get. Gotta place a claim on my vamp."

Spike leaned down to whisper in Buffy's ear. "You did that already, remember, pet?"

Buffy gave the vampire a half-hearted smack before she turned to Cordelia. "Xander said you found the fountain last night, but he was kinda vague on the details."

"Yeah, we did," Cordelia grinned. She turned to the man beside her. "Doyle, this is Buffy the Slayer and her vamptoy Spike. Guys, this is Doyle. He's here looking for Giles."

"A half-Brachen, huh?" Spike said with a sniff. "Don't come across many half-breeds."

"Just go spillin' all my secrets, why doncha?" Doyle muttered. He gave Cordelia a wary look. "Yes, I'm a half demon. Is that gonna bother you, lass?"

"Not as much as your marital state does," Cordelia answered with a haughty sniff. "If you plan on getting lucky any time soon, I suggest you get a good divorce lawyer ASAP."

"Oh, the Queen B has spoken," Buffy laughed.

Just then, Joyce and Giles pulled into the driveway of the Revello Drive home. The older couple climbed out of the Jeep where they were greeted by the younger people.

"Mom, how could you?" Buffy asked in a huffy voice. "Vegas? Really?"

Joyce flushed bright red. "It was Ripper's idea."

"Who's Ripper?"

"What is Spike doing here?" Giles demanded in a desperate attempt to change the subject.

"He's my boyfriend." Buffy voice brooked no argument, but Giles ignored the warning.

"He's an evil soulless vampire," the Watcher protested. He stepped in front of Joyce to protect her.

"What?" Joyce looked from her new husband to her daughter. "What do you mean he's a vampire?"

Everyone, except Spike who was enjoying the dismay and discomfort of others, tried to look at everything and anything except Joyce Summers-Giles.

The bleached blond vampire stepped forward, and he laid on all the charm. "I'm so pleased to meet you, Joyce. I must say you look just as beautiful and fierce without your axe as you do with it." He bowed over the surprised woman's hand.

Joyce's eyebrow shot up. "I believe I told you to keep your hands off my daughter."

"You did, but I'm afraid she is hard to resist, especially when she pouts," Spike replied. "I'm her willing slave."

"Spike." Buffy let out an indignant snort. "I don't pout."

Spike looked at his lady love, his eyes glued to her mouth. "There it is. Pouty." The vampire had a hungry look in his eyes, and he leaned towards Buffy.

"Control yourself, man." Giles shook his head. "You're a master vampire, not a lovesick teenager."

"There's that vampire thing again," Joyce muttered.

"Chow's ready," Xander called from the porch.

"We better get inside before he eats it all," Cordelia said. Under her breath, she continued, "Human garbage disposal, I swear."

As the group drifted towards the Summers' house, Jenny and Angel walked up. Spike issued a small challenging growl, and Buffy laid a hand on the blond vampire's arm.

"What do you want, Angel?" The Slayer gave the older vampire a hard look.

"Oh, is your tutor dating Ms. Calendar now?" Joyce asked. She remembered meeting the woman at the school's open house a few months before.

"Angel's not my tutor, Mom," Buffy sighed. She hoped her mom didn't flip out now. So far, Joyce had been pretty easy going about Spike and vampirism. "He's my ex, AND he's a vampire like Spike."

"Gramps," Spike growled, his eyes flashed yellow. "If you challenge me, you'll find I'm not the fledge you knew before."

Angel held up his hands in surrender. "I just came to tell you that Jenny and I decided we have much in common." He put one arm around the dark-haired teacher. "I won't challenge you, William. You're not my first choice for Buffy, but you are loyal and loving."

"Who are you, and what have you done with Angelus." Spike gave Angel a surprised glance. He turned to Buffy. "He's never given up without a fight b'fore."

"They're both vampires?" Joyce appeared to be in shock. Apparently, things were starting to sink in. "Can they prove it?"

Both Spike and Angel shifted into game face for a few seconds before they returned to their human visages.

Joyce let out a muffled shriek. "Oh, Buffy, I'm so sorry. I let your father convince me you were delusional or on drugs."

"It's okay, Mom." Buffy put her arms around Joyce, and she led the older woman into the house. The others, including Angel and Jenny, followed them inside.