Disclaimer: All these fictional characters were created by Mr. Whedon, and I wouldn't dare take them from him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Buffy settled onto the couch. Spike had brought out enough munchies to feed an army for the remainder of the year.

She looked over at him. "Whose turn?"

"Your turn to ask," he looked up at her.

She sighed. "My turn. Back to my last question. What university and what did you study?"

"That's a sneaky double question, slayer."

"Well, I tried."

"I'll answer both of them, but I get to ask two my next turn." She shook her head in agreement. "I went to Oxford. Don't look so shocked. I was a pretty smart chap. I studied ancient and lost languages. I wanted to be a teacher or a professor at the university."

"Wow, so you were a geek," she teased.

"Thanks ever so much. Now I get two. What did you really think when you found out what Dawn was?"

She laid her head back on the couch lost in thought. Spike stared at her in this position. He was momentarily lost in thought as well as his eyes wandered over her.

"Well," her loud voice brought him back to reality. "I was completely and utterly in shock. But what was amazing, at that very moment, I knew that I loved her with all my heart and that I would protect her up until I took my last dying breath. But even after that she was well protected. I made sure of that, right?" She looked over at him earnestly.

"She was very well protected, I keep my promises." He looked away. "Well, most of them."

Buffy changed the subject immediately. "And your second question?"

"No, you go ahead, I'll catch up."

"Ok, then, let's see. Did you have any brothers or sisters?"

"Why are you asking all these questions about my human past?"

"Because I don't know anything about you before you were turned. I'm just curious."

"Yes, I had a younger sister. Emily. She was 10 years younger. Followed me around constantly. Drove me insane, but I adored her. She died when I went off to school. My father died while I was there as well and things got put on hold. Had to take care of my mum. She had turned off sick as well. But I was turned before she passed. I still felt the loss though."

"Oh, I'm sorry." She sincerely was sad for him.

"S'alright. It was a long time ago. Were you ever afraid of any of your enemies?"

"Yes, I have been afraid. Glory for one. The Master because of the prophecy. I always push the fear back though. It gives me the adrenaline to perform."

"Good answer." He smiled at her.

"Uhh, did you have to work after you went back home from Oxford?"

"My father had left a sum of money so I didn't have to at first. I then worked some odd jobs to cover expenses for food, medicine and doctor's visits. Just deliveries, cleaning, tutoring young students. Nothing much." He looked at her for a few seconds. She eyed him warily. "Were you ever afraid of me?" She burst out laughing. "Well, I didn't expect that kind of reaction. I want to honestly know, did I ever scare you?"

Buffy stopped her giggle fit and looked at him. "I guess maybe one time did I fear you may have had the upper hand."

He poked her in the arm. "When?"

She smiled and shook her head. "Do I really need to share my trade secrets? You *are* my mortal enemy."

"Was," he corrected her.

"Ok, was. I think it was right after you crashed through the school window. I didn't really know your past and I wasn't sure how to deal with you. I was very lucky my mom was there."

"Yeah, don't remind me. A slayer with friends and family." He paused to reflect. "I'm glad she was there, too."

"Hey, are you ticklish?" She seriously asked him.

"What?" He was a tad concerned about the question.

"That's my next question. Are you ticklish? Cause I'm gonna find out." And she started to poke first at his ribcage then moved to his belly.

Spike started to squirm. He grabbed her wrists and asked, "My question--- are you?" Laughter erupted from the two and arms were flailing everywhere. It seemed that both were very ticklish.

Dawn and Willow could hear the commotion coming from the living room. They had been sitting out on the back porch enjoying the night while eating their ice cream. When they heard the boisterous laughing, both girls turned to look at one another with huge smiles on their faces.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~