Disclaimer: All these fictional characters were created by Mr. Whedon, and I wouldn't dare take them from him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dawn and Willow had been listening in on most of the conversation between the slayer and the vampire. So far they were happy with the outcome of their scheming plan. Buffy and Spike were getting along better than they could ever hope. But then---

Spike and Buffy were still wrestling in the tickle match when Spike caught both of her hands in his. "Do you still love Angel?"

Buffy pulled away quickly. "What?"

"You heard the question. Tell me---please."

"I---I really don't think it's any of your business."

"Then I take that as a yes. I knew it." Spike looked dejected.

"You don't know anything. You just assume---Angel was my first real love. You were witness to how that ended. He will always be a part of my life. But I have moved on. I can't keep dwelling in the past." He looked at her sadly. She had to look away, then turned to him and asked, "Are you still in love with Dru?"

He opened his mouth but nothing came out. He was thinking about how to answer the question. "No, Dru hurt me. After all I gave to her, she took me for a ride. Besides, another replaced her in here." And he placed his hand over his un-beating heart. Buffy looked down at her hands in her lap. He gently lifted her chin up to look at him and softly asked, "How do you feel about me?"

She turned her head away and he sat there, agitated, waiting for her to reply. He honestly couldn't believe he had asked her the simple question. He was sure she would refuse to answer it and it was torture waiting for her response. She looked back at him.

"I don't really know how to answer that. I know that I care about you, what happens to you and everything. You have done a lot for me and Dawn and the rest of the gang. I know I miss you when you are away, and you annoy the hell out of me when you are around. It frightens me that if you do something evil again, I will have to be the one to stake you. I have forgiven you for your past deeds but I don't need to deal with another vampire boyfriend." There was silence. So quiet you could hear a pin drop. She knew it hurt him but she honestly answered him.

Curiosity crept over her at that instant. "Why do you love me?"

He quickly looked up at her. "Are you serious? I love you because of your strength, your compassion, your love for your family and friends. I think at times you could face the world with one hand tied behind your back and still beat it down. You don't hold any grudges and you fight fairly. To watch you slay is like an aphrodisiac to me. Your dance is captivating. I love to dance with you," he softly trailed off. "It's not lust. It's love. I could just watch you all day, the way you move and talk. How you take care of your sis and your best mates. I love your heart because it is so full of love for others. And I silently weep that I haven't found a place in that beautiful chamber. But don't get me wrong. I wouldn't trade all the time I have been able to spend with you for anything in this world. I have lived because of you."

He finished with a hitch in his voice. He noticed her eyes were filled with unshed tears and as one fell, he caught it with his thumb. "That was the honest to god truth," he whispered to her. A solitary moment passed.

"Ask me again your last question." She had taken his hand into hers and held onto it.

He stared at their entwined fingers for a bit before inhaling sharply. "How do you feel about me?"

"I think I could easily fall in love with you. But I am scared to. Everyone I love hurts me or leaves me and you are not the exception. How do I know it wouldn't happen again?"

Spike could almost swear his heart was beating. It was ready to burst out of his chest. "I can't make any promises, you wouldn't buy them anyway. Why can't we just live in the moment and love one another to the fullest? Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it's the only way to live life completely. All I know is, I love you with all that I am. Great love involves great risk. You should know now how much I love you, I’d live and I’d die for you. There have been many impossibilities but we’ve overcome them and I'm still here by your side through it all."

Buffy smiled at him and softly replied, "You should have been a poet. That was beautiful. Promise me this though? We take this a lot slower this time, enjoy a lot more, and have fun. The passion can be put on the back burner for now. I want to get to know the real you, the man I could fall head over heels for. Sound like a plan?"

"Sounds like a plan," he barely said. Inside Spike was jumping up and down. He was sure now his heart was beating. Buffy held out her hand to him.

"Let's shake on it."

He smiled slyly at her as he placed his hand in hers and pulled her to him catching her mouth with his. It wasn't a deep kiss but never the less, it sent shivers down both their spines. It was the start of a beautiful friendship and then some.

Willow and Dawn were both sniffling and hugging one another. Willow cast one more spell.

"Come on, Dawnie, let's go catch a movie. I'm sure Buffy won't mind."

As they headed toward town, Buffy and Spike were standing in the middle of the room, dancing to the soft music playing in the background while soft candlelight flickered and encompassed them.

The End

Epilogue coming soon!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*