Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to everyone who reads this. Thank you for the wonderful reviews.
TO KNOW THE HUMAN HEART


Chapter 9: ‘Go On; Kiss The Girl!’


Summary: Spike and Buffy’s date continues to go well. Buffy reveals an old fantasy of hers. Will Spike kiss ‘his’ girl by chapters end?

Chapter 9:


Spike poured Buffy another glass of wine, while she gleefully munched down another fork of her huge salad. He took a delight in seeing how Buffy seemed to savor every bite of her food.

Buffy paused, mid-bite, when she noticed Spike watching her intently. She blushed and set her salad fork back down on her plate, then cleared her throat.

“Am I making a pig of myself?” She asked shyly, another of those delicious blushes graced her pretty face and neck.

“Not at all,” Spike chuckled in response, delighted at Buffy’s pink tinged flesh. “I like to see you enjoy your food. You’re such a tiny little thing; I was afraid maybe you didn’t eat enough to keep a bird alive and…..”

“Oh, no worries there,” Buffy giggled happily as she picked up her fork and continued on her salad. “Mama practically raised me on pasta; she had to, it’s a good budget food and…..” She trailed off, embarrassed by her rambling.

Then, Buffy took a deep breath and continued bravely; “my mom always said ‘I’ ate like a truck driver, while Dawn always had to watch her food intake. I’ve got a fast metabolism, I guess,” she added. “God’s little jest on the female population, in my favor, I suppose,” she finished with another quick giggle.

The dinner had gone wonderfully, with Buffy not the least bit tempted to speak of Riley and all. This in itself was something new for her; on her dates with Parker and Xander, Buffy had made that mistake of speaking the name that should not be spoken!

Spike had been a perfect gentleman throughout the whole evening. He held her tiny hand and pet it from time to time; taking a moment or two to place a chaste kiss on the back of it.

Spike laughed at Buffy’s silly jokes; asked the right questions and in general, made her feel like a freaking queen. Buffy never felt so comfortable on a first date; or on any date for that matter, even with Riley!

When their supper was over, Spike paid the tab; tipped the maitre d’ very well; took Buffy by the arm and led her out of the posh restaurant. He held her arm, all the way to his classic DeSoto, parked in the valet section.

Once they were on the road again, Spike asked Buffy is she minded for him to have a quick smoke before the movie. He rolled down the window when she shrugged and told him that she really didn’t mind at all.

“I do wonder, though,” Buffy stammered in confusion. “Why a heart surgeon would even think of smoking,” she asked shyly.

“Because I’m a human heart surgeon, not a God, Princess,” Spike chuckled softly as he lit the cigarette and blew the smoke out the window. “I’m not perfect, sweet, just talented with a scalpel.”



If it’s any consolation, sweetheart,” Spike began quietly. “I ‘have’ cut down since coming to good old Sunnydale. Your hometown has a calming affect on me for some reason,” he finished with a slight smirk on his mouth.

“Yeah,” Buffy giggled softly, “that’s good old Sunnydale. It has a tranquilizer type affect on most people!” She burst out into laughter at the funny look on her companion’s face. Buffy then settled down in her seat to watch the passing scenery.

Suddenly, Buffy blurted out, excitedly, “let’s not go to the movie, okay Spike? Let’s go for a walk on the beach instead. Please!”

Buffy directed Spike to a nice little parking area, right next to the sandy beach. She leapt from the car in excitement, like a kid at the circus and scampered onto the sand. This is itself was a little difficult, since she was wearing heeled sandals.

‘Problem solved,’ Buffy thought smugly to herself as she leaned over and slipped her shoes off.

“Won’t you be a bit chilly then, sweetling?” Spike asked dubiously as he followed her onto the sandy beach. “I mean, your dress is lovely but…..”

“I know,” Buffy giggled gleefully, kicking some sand up in front of her. “I’ll probably freeze my ass of off, but who cares, right?” She laughed loudly as she watched the sand fall back down to the ground, like tiny shiny diamonds in the moonlight.

Spike had wisely slipped his leather duster into the back seat of his DeSoto that evening. It looked like it just might come in handy, especially since his date appeared to be a ‘nature’ girl at heart. Still, he had no complaints about that little discovery. No, this spontaneous side of Miss Buffy Summers just made her all that more appealing to him.

Buffy scurried to find a huge, rock for two, just at the water’s edge. The tide was still low, so there was no danger, yet, of any waves hitting the couple where they sat.

Without waiting for permission, Spike wrapped his duster around Buffy’s slim, uncovered shoulders. She said a polite thank you and seemed to snuggle into the soft, worn leather of his unique coat.

They sat, for a few moments together, their silence speaking volumes. The Pacific Ocean seemed to be there, this evening, just for their pleasure alone. As the waves beat against the shore before them, Spike, encouraged by Buffy’s obvious contentment, took her hand in his.

Buffy did not pull her hand from Spike’s, even if the move made her just a tad anxious. Instead, she glanced over at her companion, not surprised to find his blue-eyed gaze focused on her. His eyes were filled with desire; that much was clear. However, Buffy, for some reason, didn’t find this quite as nerve racking as she might have before.

“Do you believe in fairy tales?” Buffy asked Spike with a most serious tone. “I mean, like stories that have witches, warlocks, ogres and such in them? Especially fairy tales about mermaids and…..”

“Mermaids?” Spike asked with a quick smirk and a quirk of his left scarred eyebrow.

‘I have got to ask him just how he got that little scar,’ Buffy promised herself in her mind. She fought the sly smile that came to her own mouth.

“Yes,” Buffy replied with conviction, “mermaids. I wanted to be a mermaid princess once,” she sighed wistfully. “You know, when Ariel, Disney’s Little Mermaid heroine first came out. I suppose all little girls wanted to be Ariel the Mermaid. I would have swam around, free and happy in under the sea.”

“Now,” she continued soberly, “I’m not sure about witches, warlocks, ogres or even werewolves and vampires. They…..”

Again, Spike cut Buffy off at the pass. “ The Little Mermaid is it?” He asked with a twinkle in his indigo blue eyes. “Who’s that?”

“Oh come on,” Buffy chuckled in disbelief. “You can’t tell me that you don’t remember the Little Mermaid! Ariel? Eric her human prince? Oh, wait let me guess…..you were more of a Terminator fan or maybe Francis Ford C's Dracula genre?”

“Well, yeah,” Spike huffed in reply. “If the Mermaid bint is a cartoon? Of course I was off watching manly flicks like Arnold’s ‘Terminator’ and Bruce Willis ‘Die Hard’ movies! As for ‘real’ fairy tales? Well, you know that witches exist, right? I mean you know that Tara was in a Wiccan group in college. Horror flick monsters might be make- believe but I’ve known some human vampires that could suck the life blood right out of a bloke!”

“Okay,” Buffy laughed loudly, a great belly laugh that delighted Spike in its heartiness.

“I give,” she continued merrily. “You’ve known some real life monsters, but your nightmare ones are only in movies. Too bad,” she added mischievously, “I think you could use a couple of fairy tale dreams in your life, Spike.”

“Maybe I’ve found my fairy tale dream in you, eh?” He asked, rewarding her with a genuinely affectionate grin.

Buffy blushed bright red and settled back on the big rock they shared. She became suddenly quiet as she stared out at the massive, dark ocean before them. Spike watched her, intently, happy in the thought that she did not once try to remove her petite, warm hand from his.





They sat, in comfortable silence; hands entwined and stared out at the moonlit water of the Pacific Ocean. At least Buffy seemed content to just stare out at the breathtaking view, lost in hazy fantasy Spike supposed.

However, he himself was quite antsy, at least on the inside of his mind. He may not have admitted it, or showed it, but Spike remembered all too well the story of Ariel and Eric in Disney’s Little Mermaid.

When he had been a mere snot nosed teen himself, Spike had watched the damned animated movie; singing fish, birds, humans, crustaceans and all, more then once. In fact, as a counselor at a London coop day care program? Spike, or William actually at the time, had been stuck watching the little mermaid’s adventure. He’d seen the flick so many times that he could nearly recite the entire bloody screenplay.

Of course, he would never admit this to the beautiful woman of his own fairy tale dreams. Especially as she sat next to him on a huge rock, seemingly mesmerized by the eternal waves as they broke against the endless shore.

Spike could not, however, get that insipid; okay, admittedly sweet little tune from the movie out of his mind. As he gazed at the beauty that was Buffy Summers; the song played out, over and over in his love addled mind.



‘Kiss The Girl’ (from Disney’s Little Mermaid)


“There you see her
Sitting there across the way
She don’t got a lot to say
But there’s something about her
And you don’t know why
But you’re dying to try
You wanna kiss the girl”


“Yes, you want her
Look at her, you know you do
Possible she wants you too?
There is one way to ask her…
It don’t take a word…
Not a single word…
Go on, and kiss the girl”


“Sha la la la la la
My, oh my;
Look like the boy too shy
Ain’t gonna kiss the girl
Ain’t that sad?
Ain’t it a shame?
Too bad, he gonna miss the girl”

“Now’s your moment
Floating in a blue lagoon
Boy you better do it soon
No time will be better
She don’t say a word
And she won’t say a word
Until you kiss the girl”

“Don’t be scared
You got the mood prepared
Go on and kiss the girl
Sha la la la la la
Don’t try to hide it, how,
You want to kiss the girl”

“Float along
And listen to the song
The song say…kiss the girl
Sha la la la la la
The music play
Do what the music say…

You got to kiss the girl
You’ve got to kiss the girl
You wanna kiss the girl
Go on, kiss the girl!”


‘Fear be buggered,’ Spike told himself, bravely. ‘Get your courage up you ponce,’ he added, at least in his head.

Buffy glanced at Spike, coyly, out of the right side of her emerald green eyes.

‘Oh, he is so going to try and kiss me,’ she surmised with a heady, almost giddy feeling she hadn’t felt in years. ‘Oh, I am so going to let him kiss me,’ she decided just as quickly.


Spike took a deep breath; fought the feeling of being a silly, nervous school boy and leaned over, closer to Buffy. Without waiting for any kind of reaction from Buffy; he went ahead and kissed ‘his’ girl!

His left hand cupped Buffy’s soft cheek, tenderly, as Spike kissed her sweet lips. The kiss was gentle; he was very careful not to make it too aggressive, yet.

Buffy surprised him by placing her two hands, gently, about his neck. Spike took this as a sign to deepen the kiss was pleasantly surprised when she returned his ministrations.

When the couple came up for air, they both exclaimed ‘wow’ in hushed, awe-like tones. Their mutual gaze into each other’s eyes was intense, in a warm, sweet way.

Spike attempted to go in for another successful try, but Buffy took that moment to place her hand in between their mouths. He reared back in hurt confusion, but immediately relaxed when he spied the affection in Buffy’s emerald eyes.

“Don’t be mad, or hurt,” Buffy whispered kindly, “the kiss was awesome. I just don’t feel ready, yet, to escalate this, here and now. Okay?” Her green eyes were full of tenderness and honestly, causing Spike’s heart to skip another beat. That certainly had been happening a lot lately around this amazing bird.

“Okay,” he sighed reluctant to actually accept her protest. He had a feeling that after this, things might just progress quite nicely with them. So, he relented and settled for just holding her hand, tightly in his.

After a few more minutes, Buffy stood up, her hand still in his. “We’d better get me home,” she murmured, “I’ve got an early morning tomorrow.”

Spike sighed heavily, disappointed that the magic moment would soon be over. He reluctantly stood up and hand in hand, the couple made their way across the sand to his car.

They had driven, only a mile or so back towards Buffy’s condo in compatible silence. Buffy sat right next to Spike, this time, as he drove the old DeSoto back the way they had come.

This pleased Spike to no end; the fact that Buffy slid right into the passenger side of the front seat. She then slipped over to the middle of the seat, to be next to him. Again, he took this as another ‘good’ sign that things were going well with them.

Buffy, who had not said anything so far, suddenly looked up at Spike and asked him, casually, “would you like to come in for a nightcap? When we get to my place that is?”

Spike jumped in anticipation at the question and exclaimed, “bloody hell yes!”

Before he could say another word, Buffy burst out into a wicked giggle. “I mean a ‘nightcap’ mister, not much more, okay?”

“Yeah,” Spike replied sheepishly, “I knew what you meant, Princess. But you never know,” he smirked, “could mean some more snoggin’ and….”

“Snoggin?” Buffy stopped giggling and gave Spike a most dubious stare.

“Yeah, you know, snoggin,” he chuckled pretty wickedly himself. “Tis Brit slang for kissing, sweetheart.” Spike grinned down at her and gave ‘her’ a roguish wink.

“Hmmm, snoggin is it?” Buffy mumbled softly. “Well, yes, maybe there ‘will’ be some more of that.” She grinned up at him, happy to see the wide smile on his handsome mouth.


A/N: Okay so I cut this chapter in half, about anyway. The next chapter will be in a day. It will begin where we left off here, the ride home to Buffy’s condo. I promise, it will not be a smooth ride, thanks to some intruders…

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.