Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for reading!
TO KNOW THE HUMAN HEART


Chapter 12: ‘They’re The Ones!’


Summary: Buffy tries to explain Spike to Connor and Dawn. Sometimes explanations are not ‘that’ necessary.




Buffy watched the real life dark comedy play out in her living room. It was almost as if she watched it transpiring in slow motion.

“Dawn; Connor,” Buffy rasped, “this is uhm, well, this is…..”

“Doctor William Giles!” Connor finished the sentence for his future sister-in-law. “We know,” the young man cried happily. “Dawn got a call from…..”

Dawn Summers elbowed her boyfriend, quite effectively, in his ribs.

“Can it,” Dawn ordered Connor; then turned to admire the bright red blush on her older sister’s face. “I’m enjoying this uncomfortable tension way too much!”

Buffy blushed bright red, even as she glared at Spike. ‘Get the hell back in the bathroom,’ she silently ordered her house guest.

Spike mumbled something about being cold and hurried back into the loo. He glanced in the mirror and sighed at his reflection. “Christ, but Buffy’ll be pissed now, that’s for sure,” he muttered.

“Oh Buff,” Dawn gushed, “He is just adorable! Willow said that…..”

“Willow!” Buffy gasped in shock. “Willow called you up and told you about Spike?”

“Well, yeah,” Dawn mumbled, suddenly much less animated then she had been.

“I’d know Dr. William Giles anywhere,” Connor blurted out. “His book on heart surgery is like a must read for….”

“Wait a minute,” Connor’s conversation took a quick turn. “You think Dr. Giles is adorable?” The young med student gave his fiancé a pout.

“For my sister?” Dawn grunted, “yeah, he’s adorable. For me? You’re the only adorable man sweetie.” Dawn leaned over and bussed Connor’s pale cheek with her pink glossed lips.

“Better be,” Connor grumbled good-naturedly.

“What’s for breakfast?” Dawn asked non-chalantly. “We’re starved, that’s for sure, right baby?” The brunette woman batted her baby blues at her future husband.

“I could eat,” Connor replied evenly. “In fact, I’ll go whip something up for all of us, okay? Send Dr. Giles into the kitchen when he gets out of the bathroom. We’ll give you two a chance to chat!” Connor gave Buffy a cheeky smile and winked at Dawn.

“How does Connor know Spike?” Buffy asked her sister, suspiciously.

“Oh, Connor just blabbed, all the way up here from LA, about Dr. William Giles this and Dr. Giles that and…..” Dawn grinned at her older sister and giggled.

“I guess that Dr. William, did you just call him Spike, Giles wrote some great end all book or something. Connor’s a med student, Buff, you know that. Seems that Dr. WG’s book is some kind of Bible for med students.” Dawn shrugged and sidled up to her older sister, a ‘cat ate the canary’ grin on her mouth.

“So, you two? You did the nasty, right?” Dawn whispered conspiratorially.

“No!” Buffy screeched in indignation. “We did not do the…..”

“Am I interrupting something?” Spike asked as he exited the bathroom, now fully dressed. “I can go back in and…..”

“No, no, it’s okay,” Buffy rambled nervously. “Who don’t you go in and help Connor with breakfast. Conn’s a med student, Spike and he seems to be very familiar with you and some book you wrote.”

“Really?” Spike asked incredulously. “Well, that’s bloody great; I’ll just go help the boy with eggs and bacon, eh?”

Spike hurried into the kitchen, leaving Buffy and Dawn behind. To chat, as it were.

“So, you didn’t do the nasty?” Dawn asked with a confused frown on her pixie face.

“No, uhm, we, well we didn’t do it and….” Buffy stammered nervously. The blond looked at the mussed up couch, as if it would confirm her virtue to her younger sister.

“Oh,” Dawn sighed with a hint of disappointment. “I guess I thought that you’d actually…..”

“Dawn, please,” Buffy huffed, her self-righteous indignation reared up in waves. “As if ‘I’ would sleep with a guy, I hardly know!”

“Yeah, guess that’s too much to be hoped for, huh?” Dawn grunted sarcastically. “The great pillar of Sunnydale virtue that is Buffy Summers. She walks; she talks and breathes but she doesn’t fu**…..”

“Stop it!” Buffy barked in a harsh tone. “They’ll hear you Dawnie!” She glanced at the closed kitchen door, anxiously.

“Oh, yeah, cos’ Connor doesn’t know about screwing, right? I mean we only live together and plan to marry and well…..Buffy. I, uhm may have something terribly important to tell you,” Dawn mumbled sheepishly.

“Oh no,” Buffy groaned, more then sure of what her little sister might have to confess. “Oh, God, Dawnie! You can’t be, right? I mean you’re a smart, hip young woman of the 21st century. Connor is a med student for God’s sake, you can’t…..”

Buffy was unable to finish her rant, Dawn cut her off with a wave of her well manicured hands.

“If you’re alluding to my being pregnant? Forget it, sis; no way!” Dawn rolled her eyes and waved her right hand at Buffy.

“I’m not pregnant, promise,” the dark haired girl sighed as she crossed her heart with her hand. “It’s just,” Dawn paused for a moment to collect her thoughts, “it’s just that Connor and I have decided to elope; to Vegas. Sometime next month, and I didn’t want you going ballistic over it, alright!”

Buffy stared at her sister, in complete shock, unable to quite take in what she had just been told. To say that the older Summers woman was stunned was and understatement. To say that Buffy was pissed? That was really an understatement.

“You can’t!” Buffy screamed at the top of her lungs; causing someone in the kitchen to drop something on the floor. Connor’s tenor voice was heard cursing as he the item in question hit the floor and bounced, apparently.

“You’d best stay in here mate,” Buffy heard Spike tell the prospective groom. “I don’t think either of the girls need or want us in there right now,” the Brit added carefully.

“I can, and I’m going to,” Dawn spat, her arms crossed across her chest and that mulish look on her face.

“You’re too young! You’re both too young and too broke to…..” Buffy began, only to be cut off by Dawn once again.

“Mom’s dream of one of us, getting an education and degree! Making something of themselves!” Buffy whimpered, but her green eyes were alit with a fire Dawn hadn’t seen in years.

“Look Buff,” Dawn began sweetly. “You may have given up on love; romance and marriage? But Conn and I haven’t. Besides, it’s cheaper in California, tax wise, for us to be married and we’re doing it. Next month on the 15th. You’re invited, if you want to come. Bring the bleached blond Brit if you want. We’re getting married and that’s that!”

Dawn unfolded her arms and began to stalk off into the kitchen. “I don’t want to piss you off; make you hate me or drag up some crap about the sacrifices everyone has made. Connor and I have made sacrifices too, Buffy. Lots of them. Connor’s family is going to help us and there’s Mom’s trust fund for me and…..”

Buffy reached out and grasped Dawn’s slim arm with her hand, gently. She looked up into her younger sister’s lovely blue eyes and smiled tenderly.

“Dawnie,” Buffy whispered from behind the younger woman.

“Yeah?” Dawn turned to face down her idol.

“I will be there,” Buffy murmured, her green eyes focused on the diamond ring on Dawn’s finger. “Maybe Spike will be there too?”

“Hope so,” Dawn giggled lightly before she skipped back over to Buffy and threw her long arms about her.

“You feel it, don’t you?” Dawn leaned down and whispered into Buffy’s right ear.

“Wha…what?” Buffy asked, her own insecurities were bubbling up again.

“William, well, Spike? He’s the one for you, isn’t he Buff?” Dawn clasped her sister to her tightly. “I know you feel it, right? Just like I know that Connor is the one for me!”

“I, I don’t know…..for sure,” Buffy stammered in a childish, unsure voice. “I would like him to be,” she added shyly.

“Dawn! Breakfast is ready,” Connor bellowed from the kitchen.

“Let’s go,” Dawn chuckled good-naturedly as she took her sister’s hand and led her into her own kitchen. “I’m starved,” Dawn continued with a sigh.

“I’m famished,” Buffy added sincerely.

“Famished, huh?” Dawn giggled, as she opened the kitchen door and followed the delicious aroma from in there. “Are you sure you and Spike didn’t do the nasty?”

“Get your ass in the kitchen!” Buffy growled as she slapped her younger sister on her bottom. But she smiled, Buffy did; she actually grinned in anticipation.


Spike and Buffy sat at ‘their’ table in Buffy’s coffee bistro. They held hands, across the little table and gazed into each others’ eyes, affectionately.

“Is Dawn going to come by and say ‘hi’ to us?” Andrew asked wistfully. “She…..”

“She’s stopping by later, Andy,” Buffy murmured out of the side of her mouth. She and Spike never broke their gaze from each other. Spike smiled, with his eyes even, as he gazed into Buffy’s emerald eyes.

“Thanks for coming to the bistro with me,” Buffy murmured bashfully, her face tinged in a pink flush.

“Just try to keep me away,” Spike replied huskily as he gently stroked her tiny hand with fingers.

“Hmmm,” Buffy purred at the nice sensation Spike was creating on her hand.

“Buffy,” Spike began in a hushed tone, “I was wondering. Have you ever thought of fostering or adopting one your special babies?”

Buffy snapped out of her pleasurable daze and gave Spike a wide-eyed stunned look. This statement had taken her completely by surprise.

“Well, yeah, I guess so,” Buffy stuttered as she groped for the right words to say. “I, I don’t really qualify,” she continued with a sad sigh. “So ‘they’ tell me and…..”

“Why not?” Spike asked with sincere confusion. “You’d make a great mum, Princess.”

“You think?” Buffy asked, suddenly brightening at his kind words.

“I know,” he stated honestly. “You’d be the best mum in the world,” he nodded with true conviction.

“Well, I would have liked to adopt, at least, but the rules are pretty strict. I’m not married; I’m not rich or well stationed in life. My job is…..” She was pleasantly cut off by Spike, who smiled at her lovingly.

“What makes you happy. Your job I mean; and the babies. I think you’d make a great mum, especially to Quentin, the baby boy I saw you holding. He means a lot to you, right?” Spike clasped Buffy’s petite hand, tightly and looked soulfully into her eyes.

“He does,” Buffy replied with a soft, shy smile. “I don’t play favorites, but if I did? Quentin would be my favorite,” she finished with grin.

“Maybe I could put in a good word for you, Princess,” Spike murmured. “If I say a good thing or two; Tara and Willow could add to it and maybe ‘they’ would reconsider?”

‘Besides,’ Spike reasoned to himself. ‘Once I’ve swept you off of your feet; carried you off to Las Vegas and made you my wife? They can’t say a word against ‘us’ adopting a little one; now can they?’


“Maybe,” Buffy murmured wistfully. She smiled at this handsome man who had just come into her life and wondered, briefly, if she would be able ‘not’ to screw this up.


A/N: Short chapter, I know, but I just had to keep the flow going in this story.

Thank you for reading and please review, spufette.