Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope readers are still interested in this tale of mine. I have not been very good about updating this or my other WIP's.
Thank you for you patience.
TO KNOW THE HUMAN HEART


Chapter 15: ‘Life Is A Banquette!’
(and most poor suckers are starving to death)


A/N: The title and sub-note is a quote by Rosalind Russell (my fave classic/classy actress) as Mame Dennison from the wonderful movie Auntie Mame. It was also the title of Ms. Russell’s autobiography. I feel that no truer words may have ever been said!


Summary: Spike takes Buffy to her home and continues to help her cope with her loss. Buffy comes to an amazing realization about Spike, and herself.


Chapter 15:


He had literally picked Buffy’s tiny shaking body up from the atrium floor; Spike had. After that, he had carried her to his car and placed her gently into the front passenger side of the seat.

They drove towards her condo, silently, except for an occasional whimper from Buffy. As Spike’s DeSoto neared an Albertsons, he pulled the car over and eyed Buffy carefully.

“You need to eat something,” he stated simply and she did not deny it.

“You’re right of course,” Buffy replied in a whisper. “I could use something to eat and I know you could too,” she added mechanically.

“Go in with me, sweetheart,” Spike ordered gently. “I’m okay in the kitchen but a complete wanker in the market.”

Buffy shrugged and allowed him to open her door and lead her inside the brightly lit market. She held onto his secure arm as Spike pushed the shopping cart about the Albertsons. He seemed more then capable of shopping, but Buffy resisted the urge to say so.

They bought simple food; eggs, cheese and ham for an omelette and some bread for toasting. Spike picked out a California chardonnay; surprising Buffy with the choice. It was one of the better vintages and a gold medal winner. Apparently the British blond had a nose for good American wine; just as Buffy did.

“We both could use this, yeah?” Spike asked her as he placed the wine on the cashier’s conveyer belt.

“Yeah,” Buffy responded simply. For some reason, she did not feel the need to chatter on and on with Spike. This did not confuse her so much as it comforted her in some way.

Spike watched Buffy with concern, but careful not to stare too much; afraid she would become even more uncomfortable.

They had made the simple supper in silence, in Buffy’s bright, cheery kitchen. However, the silence wasn’t so much uncomfortable, only somewhat sad.

Buffy was sad; Buffy was hurting and Spike hated it that he could not really ease this kind of hurt. This hurt was from the loss of an innocent child who his girl had grown to love dearly.

“Sorry the supper isn’t quite the feast that….” Spike began apologetically.

“No, Will, no,” Buffy stammered quickly. She reached over and took Spike’s strong, masculine hand in her tiny feminine one.

“Your delicious supper ‘is’ a feast; a banquette, at least to me,” she stated with great resolve. “I’m afraid that I’m just out of sorts and all,” Buffy offered shyly. “I just wish I could have helped my poor little Quentin more,” she sighed as fresh tears slipped down her flushed cheeks.

“You did all you could Princess,” Spike murmured softly as he tenderly stroked the back of Buffy’s petite hand. “The little bloke didn’t have much of a start and all,” he mumbled. “I know you gave him the only true affection he’d ever have and…..”

Buffy whimpered softly and slipped off of her chair onto Spike’s welcoming lap. When he wrapped his arms about her, Buffy embraced his shoulders with her own arms and hugged him tightly.

“I want Quentin to be buried properly,” she sobbed quietly into his hard yet somehow soft chest. “I want him to be buried next to my mama, in Sunnydale Cemetery. There’s a spot, right next to Mama, but I’m afraid the hospital won’t let me…..” Her teary voice trailed off into silence.

“I’ll see what I can do,” Spike murmured soothingly into Buffy’s warm little ear. “Maybe I can have Tara and Red use some of their own clout and get the poor little bloke released to you and me, yeah?”

Spike gently raised Buffy’s tear-stained face up and gazed lovingly into her damp green eyes. He smiled softly at the look of affection and hope that reflected back at him from her gorgeous green orbs.

“You’re so good to me William,” Buffy murmured almost shyly. She leaned up and placed a sweet, chaste kiss on the man’s beautiful mouth.

Before Spike could deepen the kiss, he pulled away from Buffy and began to stroke her face tenderly. “I’m thinking that you’re exhausted sweetheart,” he whispered. “Let me take care of you, Buffy. I’m going to run you a nice warm bath, yes? I’ll take care of everything; draw the water and find some girly sweet smelling bubble concoction to pour in.”

Buffy tilted her head to one side in surprise; this wonderful man never ceased to amaze her. It suddenly dawned on her that perhaps she had been too cautious this time; with her heart that is. Maybe William ‘Spike’ Giles was the man for her; not some ghost of an ex-fiancé who had betrayed her in the worst way possible.

In fact, Buffy realized, in that very moment, that she had been literally starving, emotionally, for months. No, make that for years and that this marvelous man; this gift perhaps from God, had come into her life when she needed him the most.

William Giles could read Buffy’s heart and soul; she knew that now. He was here, with her, on his own accord and because he wanted to be and ‘she’ wanted him to be here with her.

This wonderful, wonderful man had told her, not so long ago, that he was unsure if he understood the human heart. Buffy realized that he did not need to be confused or unsure, at least where she was concerned. William understood her and knew exactly what she needed in her heart and soul. In a moment of extreme lucidity; Buffy realized that she may never be emotionally starved again.

Spike ran a tub of warm water; up to the brim in Buffy’s rather large bathtub. He had found a nice cache of vanilla scented bubbles and gels. Once he had filled the tub to half full, he added the rich, fragrant oils and soaps to the water.

Buffy stood, silently amazed as she watched Spike fill her tub and add the soothing oils to it. When he motioned for her to come to the tub, she shyly obeyed.

This incredibly amazing man; a man so obviously worthy of being loved, had changed Buffy’s whole life in the course of merely a few weeks time. For the first time in months or perhaps even years, Buffy felt as if she too was worthy of love.

It was William who had given Buffy this wonderful gift of a realization. She now knew what she needed, no wanted to give him.

“You just take off your dress and….” Spike’s gentle command filtered off as he realized how inappropriate that had sounded.

“I mean, er, uhm,” he stammered in complete embarrassment.

“I know what you meant, Will,” Buffy murmured softly as she began to peel off her clothes.

“I’ll just step out and make myself useful in the kitchen,” he mumbled. The bright red blush on his face caused Buffy to giggle, which caused Spike to blush even more.

“Maybe you should stay, huh?” Buffy asked with a sly little wink; amazed at herself for this new found boldness of hers.

“Buffy,” Spike murmured softly as he turned and walked slowly to her.

After he took her in his arms, Spike nuzzled her soft, golden hair with his lips. Buffy wrapped her slim arms about his waist and Spike began to purr at the tender feelings the simple act invoked inside of him.

“Please stay?” Buffy whispered shyly as she looked deeply into William’s warm, loving blue eyes.

“Of course,” Spike murmured lovingly, gently stroking her right cheek.


A/N: Okay, I was pretty darned sneaky here, I know. I ended the chapter before the really good Spuffy stuff. Actually, I am trying to find out if readers are still interested in this fiction, or any of my other WIP’s.

I’ve been so out of the loop, writing wise, lately, that I’m afraid I may have lost some readers and reviewers. So, next time, promise, there will be lots of Spuffy bath time fun (and bedroom fun too)!

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.