Author's Chapter Notes:
I wanted to warn readers that this chapter is rather spiritual. Please read it and I hope that I express my feelings in this like I mean to.
Thank you.
TO KNOW THE HUMAN HEART


A/N: I wanted to add a note and point out that I am going off canon with this chapter a bit. Father Caleb Montgomery is a good guy in this story and he is a Catholic priest. I hope the references to the religious aspects of this chapter do not offend or drive off any readers. I felt this was necessary to develop the plotline of the story and draw Spike and Buffy even closer together. Hopefully, the story line in this chapter will be self-explanatory.


Summary: Buffy says goodbye to Quentin. Spike tells Buffy how much he loves her.


Chapter 17: ‘Unto Us…’


Spike held onto Buffy’s petite body, tightly. His strong arm wrapped about her trembling little shoulders; the essence of protectiveness.

They were there, in droves, the bunch of them he noted. For the poor little bloke’s memoriam. Little Quentin’s final farewell to the cold, harsh world that he had been born into.

Or, at least it would have been a completely cold and harsh world for little Quentin; not for one person, Spike knew this. Buffy Summers.

Somehow, miraculously, Tara, Willow and yes, even he himself had pulled it off. They had gotten the hospital to release Quentin’s mortal body to Buffy. She had quickly arranged for a proper burial in the Sunnydale Cemetery where her own mum, Joyce Summers, had been laid to rest a few years ago.


Buffy stood next to Spike, her head rested on his shoulder and her right hand placed tenderly on his. This man; this wonderful, wonderful man from across the ocean had come just in time to help her. She saw that now, Buffy did.

Father Caleb Montgomery, the priest from Joyce Summers’ parish, was saying the ‘words’ over Quentin’s little white casket.

The priest, Father Caleb, had spoken the words over Buffy’s beloved mother years before. Although they were pretty much non-practicing Catholics, Buffy and Dawn had insisted that their mother be buried in the tradition of the church.

No one had any idea what poor Quentin’s mother or father had believed, or had not believed. However, Buffy had made sure that Quentin would be buried next to her own mother, Joyce, in the quiet, beautiful green part of the cemetery. Somehow, it had all come together.

They were all there, Buffy noted. Spike, of course, and Dawn with her Connor. Wesley and Fred had driven out along with Tara and Willow, who was crying, quietly at the priest’s words. Even Xander had shown up, surprisingly along with Anya Jenkins?

Buffy had to smile to herself, satisfied that her subtle matchmaking had perhaps finally paid off for her two good friends, Xander and Anya. She found it almost ironic that a new relationship had possibly begun even in the midst of a sorrowful event such as this.

Angel and Cordelia stood side-by-side, their hands entwined together as they solemnly listened to Father Caleb’s comforting words. Buffy had closed the coffee bistro for the day, so Andrew and Johnathan were also in attendance. The two young men stood next to each other, silent tears streamed down their pale faces.

Buffy felt Spike squeeze her hand, tenderly in comfort and she squeezed it back. When she looked into his beautiful blue eyes, she saw pure love and adoration shining back at her.


Yes, Buffy thought to herself in relief, it was an amazing thought that William ‘Spike’ Giles had come to Sunnydale at just the right time. The time that Buffy needed him most.

Father Montgomery began to speak the words Buffy had requested:


{The 23rd Psalm of David}


‘The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in the green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name’
sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death.
I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine
Enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely, goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of
My life;
And I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.


When Father Caleb had finished his words, Buffy again began to cry, quietly and Spike clutched her dear body to his, tenderly. He nestled her golden head into his chest and snuggled her to him lovingly.

“Buffy has asked that her good friend, Daniel Osbourne, play his guitar and sing a special song for little Quentin,” Father Caleb announced in his soothing, hushed voice.

Daniel Osbourne, or Oz as his friends called him strode up to the front of the solemn group and began to strum his acoustic guitar.


“This is dedicated to Quentin,” Oz mumbled in his usual shy, humble voice before he started to sing:


{You’ll Never Walk Alone; Rodgers and Hammerstein}

‘When you walk thought a storm,
Hold your head up high
And don’t be afraid of the dark.
At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of the lark.

Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain.
Tho’ your dreams be tossed and blown.
Walk on, walk on,
With hope in your heart.
And you’ll never walk along.
You’ll never walk alone.’


“Thank you Daniel,” Father Caleb smiled at the young red-haired man benevolently.

Buffy half-smiled at her friend, Oz, as he slowly walked back to his place next to his girl friend, Amy. She nodded at the couple affectionately and returned her attention to the priest.

“Life is fragile,” Father Montgomery said with a heavy sigh. “It is precious and fragile and few of us realize this until something like this occurs.”

The priest looked at Buffy, sympathetically, then continued:

“This child; this beautiful, sweet boy, was brought into this world and too quickly was taken from it,” Caleb murmured.

“Thank you God for giving the world little Quentin and giving him Buffy Summers to love him,” he mumbled reverently.

“Quentin Summers, we mere mortals release your soul from this world into the next one. May God bless you and keep and may his face and love shine upon you and give you your much deserved peace.” Father Caleb glanced at Buffy.

Buffy’s heart skipped several beats when the priest had called her beloved Quentin by her own last name. It sounded right and good to her; for that she was grateful.


“Unto us, a child was born,” Father Caleb continued solemnly. “Unto Heaven, an angel is given.”


Later as Buffy hugged and thanked the attendees at the service, Spike cornered Father Caleb Montgomery and thanked him for the lovely service.

“I wanted to thank you Father,” Spike stated respectfully. “For the wonderful service you gave for the little bloke,” he finished with a catch in his voice.

“I wouldn’t have had it any other way, William,” the priest replied as he studied the Brit carefully.

“You love her, don’t you?” Caleb asked the blond man, almost casually, although it was more like a statement then a question.

“Yes, completely,” Spike replied quickly with a smile.

“Good, Buffy deserves the love of a good man,” the priest retorted just as quickly. “God knows she’s earned it,” he added with a shake of his dark head.

“I’ve known the Summers women for a while,” the priest continued quietly as he watched Buffy acknowledge each guest.

“Buffy’s is a rare beauty, inside and out,” Caleb murmured. “Her mother was an exceptional woman as I believe young Dawn is. I can’t pray or hope enough for Joyce Summers’ daughters to find happiness in this life,” he finished quietly.

“I just hope that Buffy will return my love,” Spike whispered, even as he watched his Buffy continue to thank the guests for coming to the service.

“I believe she will, if she doesn’t already,” the priest almost smirked in reply.


The ‘wake’ supper had been held at Willow and Tara’s flat. It was a reserved, respectful affair. Simple yet elegant at the same time.

Spike drove Buffy home to her condo afterwards. It was nearly silently agreed that he should spend the night with her.

As he held Buffy in his arms, in her bed, Spike thought about what Father Caleb had said earlier that day. He felt a strange sense of pride that the priest had realized that he, Spike, was a good man. Father Montgomery had even gone on to say that he felt that William Giles was the ‘one’ for Buffy; her soul mate.

Of course, Spike whole-heartedly agreed with the priest. Now the problem was, to have Buffy acknowledge this and eventually reciprocate his feelings for her.

“Buffy, Princess,” Spike murmured while he clutched her naked little body to his own. “I want to talk to you, sweet. Might not be the best time but…..”

“It’s okay Will,” Buffy whispered in her hushed tone. “I want to talk to you too,” she added shyly.

Spike flipped over on his side, his arm still wrapped about Buffy’s shoulder and chest. His hand was cupped over her warm, soft breast.

“I love you Buffy,” Spike stated simply, even though his words were profound in their simplicity. His head was cocked to one side as he studied Buffy’s pixie face.

“I know,” Buffy murmured in reply. She gazed up at him from under dark lashes, her green eyes shining.

“Do you think you could ever truly love me, Buffy? I mean enough to marry me and have a family of our own?” Spike asked carefully. His usual cocky bravado had fled, like it had from the first time he’d laid eyes on his Buffy.

“I think I already do love you Will,” Buffy whispered huskily. “In fact,” she continued bashfully, “I know I love you,” she finished with the girlish giggle that Spike had come to love so.


He watched her; took in the shy, feminine look in her luminous green eyes and the slight pink blush on her cheeks. The way she ducked her head into her pillow, to avoid his intense gaze no doubt, made his heart leap up to his throat.

“Buffy,” he rasped when he placed his left hand under her proud chin. He gently pulled said chin up so her lovely green eyes met his blues ones once again.

“Marry me Buffy,” he blurted out suddenly, desperately. “Marry me and make me the happiest man in the world!”


A/N: Hope that was worth the wait. Some angst and Spuffy smoosh together?!

‘The 23rd Psalm’ is one of my favorites because it has always comforted me so. That is why I chose it.

‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ is another fave of mine from the musical ‘Carousel’ (I just know I spelled some things wrong!)

Thank you for reading and please review. It means so much to me, spufette.