Author's Chapter Notes:
A chapter for fun, honest.
Summary: Buffy gets a visit from her ex and some questions may just be answered in this chapter!

Spike gets a surprise visit from ‘someone’ at the end of this chapter. Its almost finished now so please keep with it and enjoy!


Chapter 18: ‘Whoever Said Revenge Was Sweet? (okay so they knew what they were bloody well talking about!)


Buffy scoured over her accounting books, her blond head bowed over the ledgers. She was behind the oaken counter of her coffee bistro; her eyes eagerly scanning the debits and credits in the carefully tended books.

It was early on a Monday morning; the cool crisp air outside had invited Buffy to rise from her bed and hurry into her beloved coffee bistro. The birds had been singing; local little squirrels in local trees were making more little squirrels. Yes, things were looking ‘up’ in old Sunnydale, California.

There wasn’t a lot of folks in the bistro that morning; just a couple of senior citizens, regulars seated in their usual spots. One or two college students had dropped by to grab a latte and muffin to go. Things were normal for an early Monday morning and Buffy felt good; relaxed and happier then she’d been in ages.

“These figures actually look pretty good,” Buffy muttered happily to herself as she tapped her right foot to a happy tune playing on her radio. Things really were looking up in good old Sunnydale!

The front door of the bistro opened; this was signaled by the little bell atop the door frame. Buffy didn’t even bother to look up; she continued to go over her accounts, hoping that Andrew would see to the newest customer.

“Buffy?” Riley Finn’s deep voice interrupted Buffy’s thoughts and she glanced up, stunned momentarily.

“Riley?” Buffy whispered in shock. “What are you doing here?”

“I, I need to talk to you,” Riley mumbled almost shyly, reminding Buffy of the innocent farm boy she once knew.

“Kay,” Buffy muttered quickly, trying to keep the impatience from her voice. “Let’s sit here,” she motioned to a nearby empty table.

They sat, silently for a few minutes as Riley sipped his coffee on the house and stole glances at Buffy. Finally, he spoke up:

“I goofed up Buffy; I know that,” Riley murmured apologetically. “I came here today to maybe talk to you and…..”

“And?” Buffy asked evenly as she took a long, satisfying drink from her own coffee mug. She shot Riley an inquiring look which did nothing to boost the man’s self-confidence.

“I don’t see Harmony anymore,” he offered quietly. “We broke off our engagement and…”

“And this affects me how?” Buffy asked with a raised left brow; something she had learned from William.

“Well, I thought maybe you and me could kind of start over and…..” Riley began, but his abrupt words trailed off when he saw the look of disbelief in Buffy’s beautiful green eyes.

“Riley,” Buffy sighed in exasperation, setting down her mug with a thump. “I have to tell you,” she continued with a shake of her golden head. “I’m really not interested in a 'you and me' or a starting over.”

Riley dropped his dark head and stared at his coffee mug, sadly. He should not be surprised by Buffy’s reaction, but he had hoped that she might reconsider.

“But Buffy,” he whined…..

“No, Riley listen,” Buffy sighed in determination; her right hand was up in a ‘stop’ motion and she shook her head again.

“Not only am I not interested in a ‘you and me’ but I’ve totally moved on,” Buffy stated. A slight, victorious smile came to her mouth.

“It’s that Brit, huh?” Riley growled; his dark eyes were alit with jealousy.

“It is,” Buffy replied happily. “In fact,” she continued almost matter-of-factly, “we’re planning on getting married. Soon,” she added with a smirk. “I thought maybe I’d have a simple wedding; you know, Dawn as a maid of honor. The color theme might be cream and mauve and….”

“So you’re going to just go off and marry this fuck, right?” Riley hissed. “After all of the history that you and I have together, you’re going to marry some flashy guy that blows into town. A hot shot doctor with….”

“Excuse me!” Buffy gasped in disbelief. “You have the nerve to waltz in here and ask me to ‘reconsider’ our relationship? After you fucked me over with a dimwitted little bimbo like Harmony Kendall and all? Oh Riley, just get the bloody hell out of here. I don’t want to see you again, understand? Not unless you’re at my wedding to William Giles; gift in hand and dressed appropriately!”

“Buffy I can’t believe what I’m hearing!” Riley gasped in shock. “You don’t talk like that, ever. Oh, this is some great influence by your so called fiancé,” he added with contempt. “I’ve never seen this side of you Buffy and…..”

“Oh, I imagine ‘this’ side of Buffy has always been here,” Buffy interrupted her ex; a wicked glint in her eye. “This Buffy side has probably been lurking under her door mat exterior that you’ve stepped all over for so.”

Riley sat in stunned silence, briefly, then stood and began to walk slowly away from the table.

“Bye Buffy,” he called back to her, never turning around to see if she was even watching him go.

“Bye bye Riley and I meant it about the wedding. Of course you’re invited! Feel free to bring a date and William and I are registered at Macy’s in the Sunnydale Mall!” Buffy offered merrily as Riley disappeared out the door of the bistro.

“Asshole,” Buffy muttered under her breath as she went back to her accounting ledgers. ‘I hope the door hit him in the ass on his way out!’


Spike sat in his makeshift office at the hospital, his thoughts on his golden goddess. Buffy had really shocked him, pleasantly, when she had agreed to marry him. Of course, she had made it clear that they would need to ‘wait’ a while before the actual ceremony and all.

While he would have married Buffy tomorrow, Spike agreed to be patient and let her take charge regarding the preparations. He was just so bloody thrilled that she had said yes, and so soon. Stunned he was to have Buffy agree to become his wife forever; thrilled, yet stunned somewhat.

Buffy was at her coffee bistro that morning, Spike knew; especially since he had seen her off bright and early. They had stopped any pretense of Spike staying at a nearby hotel; not when Buffy’s condo made a perfect place for the two of them. Of course Spike insisted that he cover the mortgage from there on in and Buffy relented on this matter.

They had fallen into a blissfully sweet domestic routine over the past weeks; Spike at the hospital and Buffy at her bistro. Nights when Buffy occupied the ‘special’ nursery, Spike would join her and sit with her and the babies.

Spike had been thinking, long and hard for the past few weeks; making some decisions that at once scared him and yet…..


He hardly noticed his office door open, quietly, Spike was so deep in thought at the moment. Thoughts of Buffy; their future together and such.

“Son?” Rupert Giles called from the office door, an unsure look in the older man’s blue eyes.

“Dad!” Spike gasped in surprise when he saw his formidable father standing in his office doorway. “What the bloody hell are you doing here?”


A/N: Okay, so I shortened this one up, immensely from its original chapter. So, sue me!!!

No, seriously, I wanted to keep this flowing so I updated it like this tonight. The next chapter will answer some questions, hopefully. I really need to update Redemption and High School Drama also. I’m going on vacation in a week and wanted to wrap up at least Redemption if not this one.

Thank you for reading and please review, spufette.