Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to everyone who read this and for the lovely support!
TO KNOW THE HUMAN HEART


Summary: This is the last official chapter of this fiction. I hope you have all read and enjoyed it.

Wedding presents come in many forms and Buffy will receive some real wonderful ones!


Chapter 21: ‘Gifts’


“It’s time to open presents!” Dawn squealed like a young child as she dragged her bride sister, Buffy, who dragged her groom, Spike to the mountain of presents in set in the corner of the arbor.


“Oh Dawnie,” Buffy mumbled in obvious discomfort, “I don’t think we should…..”

Buffy’s younger sister seemed especially animated today; even for being pregnant.

“Oh go on Buff,” Andrew cried eagerly, almost as if all of the beautifully wrapped gifts were for him.

Rupert and Jennifer Giles had insisted that their guests’ presence was all of the presents they needed.

However, Buffy and Spike were technically a new married couple, just beginning together in life so their guests insisted on bringing the more traditional wedding gifts. Therefore, a huge table was set up in the winery arbor; the gifts for Buffy and Spike strategically mounted on that table.


“Open ours first!” Dawn squealed again as she pulled her husband to her side.

“Right,” Buffy murmured her face red and hot with embarrassment. She had always hated being the center of attention; even on her wedding day.

“Okay, this is from Dawn and Connor,” Buffy stated cheerfully.

“Oh!” The bride exclaimed in delight when had opened the elegantly wrapped box.

Inside the huge box was an assortment of towels; linens and some gorgeous crystal wine goblets. Dawn must have spent hours wrapping the treasures just right and….

“Dawnie, Connor, I love them,” Buffy whispered sincerely; her bottom lip trembling with emotion.

“See, the linens are red, Buff,” Dawn babbled excitedly, “just like the colors you like best. I thought they’d go lovely in your new place and…..”

“What new place?” Buffy asked innocently; confused when she saw her sister’s blue eyes fly open and her brother-in-law scowl.

“What new place?” The bride repeated to her groom who looked suspiciously guilty of keeping a major secret.

“Well,” Spike sighed slowly, taking Buffy’s tiny hand in his again. “The cat’s out of the bag so I might as well tell you,” he offered carefully.

“For my present, to you,” Spike began quietly, ignoring the silence that had seemed to fallen on the wedding guests. “I put a down payment, on a big house, outside the Sunnydale city limits. Now, it’s only contingent on you wantin’ it Princess. If you don’t like it, we’ll…..”

“Oh, honey! I’m sure I’ll love it, but we’ll go check it out together,” she added, her brows were quirked up. “As soon as we’re back from our honeymoon that is,” she giggled, "where ever that is."

After placing a very great amount of kisses on her groom’s face and mouth, Buffy remembered their audience and slipped out of Spike’s embrace; kind of.

“Of course I’ll want it,” Buffy purred into Spike’s ear. “I can’t wait to see it. I know it’ll be perfect baby.”

“Open ours next, Buff,” Cordelia ordered evenly as she held out a huge white envelope.

“Kay,” Buffy murmured, just a tad unsure herself. Hard to tell what Cordelia Chase had come up with for a wedding present but…..

“I wanted to get you some new china. You know, that avant garde black, red and white series?” Cordelia whispered conspiratorially, leaning into Buffy. “Angel and Daddy, they said this was better,” she sighed with a pout.

“Well, I do have my mom’s family china,” Buffy murmured hopefully. She had no idea what this envelope contained, but somehow, she felt as if it just might life-altering for herself and a lot of people.

Buffy looked down at the huge white envelope and took a deep breath, then opened it carefully.

“It’s a certificate, really,” Cordelia explained unnecessarily. “Angel decided to open a new wing, at the hospital and Daddy paid for it,” Cordy crowed triumphantly.

Buffy scanned the piece of paper in her hands in disbelief. The ‘certificate’ as Cordelia had so innocently put it was really a document. An official document to boot Buffy!

“I, I don’t understand,” Buffy stammered in confusion as she read the words on the paper.

“It’s a kind of deed, baby,” Spike whispered into her ear as he held her close. “Mr. Chase and Angel here, they’re kind of deeding a wing of Sunnydale Hospital to you. It’s for your babies and…..”

“We thought we’d call it Elizabeth’s House; or Buffy’s House,” Cordelia scrunched up her pretty brow. “For your charges Buffy,” she explained matter-of-factly. “A whole wing for your special babies,” she Ms. Chase repeated patiently, as if she were speaking to a five-year-old.

“Oh, I knew it,” Cordy hmphhhed in exasperation, “we should have gone with the new china and…..”

“No,” Buffy stuttered incredulously; tiny tears threatened to spill from her green eyes. “It’s perfect; perfect and overwhelming Cordy. It’s…..”

Buffy broke down and began to sob quietly into her William’s tux covered chest. She was so amazed by the gift that she couldn’t even speak anymore.

“Isn’t it wonderful, baby,” Spike murmured soothingly to his bride. “A whole new wing for your babies and there’s more too,” he added happily.

“We’re putting you in charge of the whole operation Buffy,” Angel declared proudly. “You’ll be running the wing, from 9 to 5; so you can be home, at night, with your family. I’ve asked Tara and Willow to help you find matches for the different babies. To find families to sponsor the babies until….”

Angel’s voice trailed off briefly. “We thought it was time to put our money where our mouths were, Buffy,” Angel offered meekly.

“A whole wing; for them?” Buffy asked softly, her green eyes still scanning the miraculous documents in her hands.

“Yes honey,” Cordelia sighed, “and I guess this was a much better gift then any old avant garde china, huh Buffy?”

“Yes, much better Cordy,” Buffy whimpered as she grabbed Ms. Chase and embraced her in a vice-like hug.

Cordelia sniffed dramatically, “well, I guess the new wing is much better then some old stinky china.”

“Mom’s here, you know?” Dawn whispered to her sister, the bride. “She’s watching over us, even now,” she added in contentment.

“I know,” Buffy murmured happily. Suddenly, Buffy got an epiphany and blurted in excitement: “What do you think Dawnie? Should we name the new hospital wing ‘Joyce’s House’ instead?”


“Let’s cut the cake!” Andrew squealed in anticipation; his blue eyes danced merrily as he hurried to the brides and grooms with a huge knife.

Buffy, Spike and Rupert and Jenny posed for pictures before they cut into their shared three-tiered cake. The white cake, covered in butter cream whipped frosting and peach colored flowers, was perfection, thanks to Lorne.


“Here’s our wedding present to you two kids,” Rupert mumbled proudly, handing Buffy a white envelope of his own while he grinned at his son.

“Oh, this isn’t necessary,” Buffy began humbly, but she tore into the paper in anticipation.

“Oh, Rupert, Jenny,” Buffy choked out as she read the airline information in her hands.

Enclosed in the wedding card were two tickets to Maui, Hawaii and then an extended set of tickets on a jumper plane to the south beach of Lanai.

“There’s this out of use old sugar plantation, on Lanai’s south beach,” Jenny began to explain. “The house is in rent for guests and we thought it would be great for your honeymoon, your’s and William’s” she finished happily.

“They say the giant turtles swim up and crawl onto the shore,” Rupert sighed in envy. “Practically say ‘hello’ to the guests!”

“Oh, Rupert! Jenny!” Buffy squealed in delight as she pulled out of Cordy’s embrace and threw herself into Rupert and Jenny’s warm embraces.


“Have you ever seen ‘From Here To Eternity’ sweetling?” Spike murmured from above his bride’s tiny form.

They were wrapped up together on the wet, warm sand of Lanai’s secluded south beach; completely alone and loving it.

“Of course I have,” Buffy replied almost indignantly. “In fact,” she continued smugly, “I saw it at Wes and Fred’s, on movie night. They served SOS and sea rations for a supper in honor of WWII.”

Spike laughed outright and cuddled his Buffy even closer to his wet body.

“Well, thought we might relive the whole beach scene, eh baby?” He purred into Buffy’s damp, albeit somewhat salty little ear.

“I should say so,” Buffy purred in reply, pulling Will’s trunks from his slim hips in a very surprising move on her part.

“I love you Buffy,” Spike whispered huskily as he thrust into Buffy’s sweet little canny.

“I love you too,” Buffy moaned in delight, thrusting up to meet her husband’s body.


A/N: Last official chapter of this fiction, however, there will be an epilogue. I hope this wasn’t too hokey of an ending???

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.