Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm posting this chapter of this fic because I seem to have run up against a brick wall with my other WIP's.
Please be patient with me?
Thanks.
Chapter 3: ‘When Spike Met Buffy’


Summary: Spike and Buffy meet. However, there is always a glitch in the perfect plans, right?

A/N: Okay, I wanted to wait to finish some of my WIP’s before I continued with this story, but I just have a writer’s block where the others are concerned. I am hoping that submitting this chapter helps me work out of it.


Spike stood in front of Buffy’s Beverages and Bistro, impatiently waiting for Tara and Willow to arrive. He was early, of course, he knew that, but how could he not be?

All night, the night before, Spike had tossed and turned in his lonely bed, thinking of the beautiful green-eyed Buffy. From the moment he’d laid eyes on her, Spike realized something. He was fucked; beyond fucked, actually and that was all there was to it.

The black jeans and black tee shirt he wore seemed out of place on him right now. Especially since he was due at the hospital in a couple of hours and usually wore at least Dockers and a nice button down under his doctor uniform.

However, since Tara and Willow had insisted that Buffy would be more comfortable on her own turf; he decided to go with the relaxed look all the way. Maybe the golden goddess wouldn’t be too overwhelmed by him if he tried for more easy going approach to getting to know her?

She was an angelic vision; Buffy was, and he had the good luck to see that vision up close and personal. After last night and that incredible moment when Buffy smiled up at him, Spike knew he was lost in her, instantly. So, he, Spike Giles was completely, absolutely and totally bloody fucked from the minute he’d laid eyes on Buffy Summers!

Ahhh, but being fucked, completely, never seemed so bloody appealing! Even if his old alter ego ‘William the Poet’ was rearing his poncey head again. Something that hadn’t happened since he was about sixteen-years-old.

Spike sighed in frustration and checked his Rolex for the tenth time in a minute. “Bloody hell,” he muttered again, wearily.

“Why can’t Tara be early, just once,” he asked himself in frustration. “I can’t believe that she’d not be early today? Here and now? I waited all night to meet Buffy and…..”

Spike paused in his inner musings when he saw Tara pull up in her black Mercedes. Willow Rosenberg, Tara’s significant other, hopped out of the passenger side and scurried up to Spike.

Tara had barely turned off the car’s engine by the time Willow caught up to Spike and cried excitedly, “Buffy noticed you last night!”

“Uhm, yeah,” Spike mumbled with wide eyes. “And?” He stammered, a little confused by Red’s (his nickname for Willow) animated behavior. The poor woman was nearly doing a jig, right there in front of the Bistro.

“You don’t get it, Spike!” Willow squealed happily, “Buffy ‘never’ notices guys like she did you! She ‘asked’ me who you were! That is so big, Spike, I mean really, really majorly big!”

“That’s good, then, right?” Spike asked excitedly, getting caught up Willow’s optimism. Truthfully, he felt like a school boy and a ponce.

‘Christ, I’m worse then I was on my first date; way back when I was only fifteen and…’ his inner musings were interrupted by Willow’s excited chatter.

“Yes! Like I said,” Willow continued even more animated then before. “Buffy ‘never’ notices guys, in ‘that’ way I mean! She even asked who you were!!!”

“Okay,” Spike exhaled loudly, “so let’s get this show on the road, eh? I’ve been waiting all night to…..”

“One thing, Spike,” Willow began, suddenly not so animated or giddy as before.

“Yeah?” Spike asked quietly, a confused look on his face.

Willow glanced over at Tara who had just joined them at the Bistro’s door. “Tell him baby,” Willow ordered her girlfriend gently.

“Well, Spike,” Tara began in a very sober tone, “Wills and I need to get something straight with you; right from the get go. If this immediate overwhelming ‘attraction’ you have for Buffy is just that? A quick lightening-strike jolt of pure lust? Then we’d prefer that you just turn around and leave now.”

“Wha..what?” Spike rasped in shock. “Where the fuck did that come from Glinda?” He immediately felt bad about the obscenity he spewed, but that statement by Tara had come completely out of left-field.

“Just what I said,” Tara replied evenly, “Wills and I do not want Buffy hurt anymore, so….”

“And I told you, Glinda; Red, that I have no intention of hurting that beautiful woman in there. You know me Glinda,” he sighed and shot Tara a disgruntled look.

“I know sweetie,” Tara patted his left arm, gently, “but I just wanted to make sure you remind yourself of what a great guy you really are. I know you are not cruel, or a user. You never would in any way try and use anyone. Just be patient with Buffy; take it slow with her Spike. Buffy has been wounded, deeply. That’s all Willow and me are trying to say to you.” The tall blond woman smiled, warmly at Spike then nodded at front door of Buffy’s place.

“No time like the present,” she murmured, taking Willow’s arm in hers. “Let’s go in!”

Spike held the door to Buffy’s Beverages and Bistro open for Tara and Willow then followed them inside. He quickly scanned the entire floor of the building, looking for the object of his desire.

With a huge grin of anticipation, Spike spied Buffy, sitting at a tiny table in the corner of the shop. His smile faded quickly however when he noticed the big, hulking man that shared the little table with her. The huge, dark-haired man wore a cop’s uniform and leaned over the tiny table, face-to-face with Buffy.

‘Who the bloody hell is that,’ he wondered silently as he watched the ‘couple’ at the table. If the look of this intimate conversation between Buffy and the Incredible Hulk was any indication? This huge brunette cop might just pose a problem for Spike and he did not like it one bloody bit!

“What’s Xander doing here?” Spike heard Tara ask Willow nervously.

“Heck if I know,” Red stammered in reply. “He’s supposed to be on duty this morning and I don’t understand what…”

‘Xander!’ Spike repeated that name in his head. ‘He’s the bloke that went out with Buffy after that fucking moron Finn broke up with her!’ Suddenly, Spike felt very jealous and extremely territorial where Buffy was concerned.

“Tara! Willow!” Buffy cried happily when she noticed the two women staring at her table. She, of course, could not miss the handsome bleached blond man with them. This was the mystery man behind the nursery window from last night.

‘Thank God,’ Buffy nearly sighed out loud in relief, which would have been just awful. That little slip of Buffy’s tongue would have just devastated Xander Harris. Xander was her friend, but God, he could be so damned persistent and all.

Buffy had assumed she’d made it perfectly clear that she was not interested in ‘dating’ him; Xander that is. Not after that disastrous series of dates they had attempted before. Earlier in the year when.....

“I didn’t think you guys were gonna’ show today,” Buffy stated, a little too eagerly she feared. She tried not to notice the disappointed expression on Xander’s face as she leapt up to greet Tara, Willow and the mystery doctor with them.

“What are you doing here?” Willow asked Xander, pointedly. The red headed stood on no false politeness. Xander was her friend also and Willow had made it clear, numerous times, that Buffy was not interested in him romantically.

Xander stood up from his chair and gave Willow and Tara a weak smile. “I’m trying to convince Buffy here to go with me, to the Policeman’s Ball next week. She’s being stubborn, Wills,” he mumbled.

“Maybe you can talk some sense into Buff, huh,” he nearly whimpered and his dark eyes pleaded with his old friend, Willow Rosenberg.

Xander’s brown eyes fell upon this usurp of a stranger; this blond Billy Idol wannabe and he frowned quickly. He was no naïve fool, Xander wasn't, no matter what everyone thought and he could smell a rival for Buffy from a hundred yards away. This bleached blond man was definitely here in Buffy’s place for one thing. Buffy Summers.

“Uhm, Buffy,” Willow stammered unsurely, glancing from Buffy to Spike; to Xander and back at her girlfriend, Tara. “This, this is William Giles,” she blurted out, suddenly. “Spike,” Willow continued nervously, “this is Buffy Summers.” The red haired woman smiled, reassuringly at Spike.

“Nice to meet you, luv,” Spike stammered anxiously, his gaze never broke form Buffy’s. He reached out his left hand to take her tiny right one in it.

“Likewise,” Buffy murmured shyly as she took his hand with her’s. “I saw you, last night at the nursery window and…..”

Buffy’s sentence was cut short when Spike’s hand and her’s entwined. Even before he, Spike, lifted her tiny hand up to place a chaste kiss on it, Buffy felt the ‘it’ that struck them both. So apparently, did Mr. Spike Giles because he nearly jumped back at the shock of electricity that jolted between them.

Spike felt the lightening-like shock that coursed through his body when he took Buffy’s little hand in his. Before he could even place a light, chaste kiss on the back of her hand, he nearly jumped at the immediate jolt when he and Buffy touched. Just by looking in her emerald green eyes; Spike could tell that Buffy had felt the electric shock between them.

Apparently, the three other people nearest to Buffy and Spike could ‘feel’ the chemistry between the couple also. Xander Harris cleared his throat, with weak menace and breaking the magic moment between Spike and Buffy.

“I’m Xander Harris, Sunnydale Police Department,” he almost barked his introduction. “I understand you’re in Sunnydale to help with the cardiac ward at General? Willow told me about you,” Xander continued unsmiling and through clenched teeth.

“Yeah, that’d be me, mate,” Spike smiled amicably at the taller man. He hadn’t felt insecure about his height, or wiry build in ages, Spike hadn’t, but now? Standing next to this huge, hulking police officer suddenly made him self-conscious of his own, shorter stature. Especially not now, in front of Buffy.

“According to Tara and Willow, you’re not going to be here long, then? So you’ll be leaving for back home again, soon?” Xander asked hopefully, ignoring Tara and Willow’s stunned glares at him.

“I doubt it,” Spike replied casually, glancing at Buffy again. “I’ve found something more of interest, here in old Sunnydale to keep me around a while.” He couldn’t help himself; Spike gave Buffy a mischievous wink which in turn elicited a blush and a slight smile from her.

“I see,” Harris practically growled in response. Xander studied Buffy, carefully, annoyed to see a spark of interest in her lovely green eyes. Buffy’s attention was completely on this bleached blond newcomer and Xander was overcome with jealousy.

“So,” Xander muttered gruffly successfully interrupting Spike and Buffy’s mutual gaze at each other. “What do you say, Buff? Go with? To the Ball I mean and…..” His voice trailed off in disappointment when he noticed Buffy shake her golden head, no.

“I’ve been trying to tell Xander here,” Buffy murmured at Willow, “that I wouldn’t be much fun at the Policeman’s Ball. It’s just not my thing, Xand, you know that,” she added with an apologetic glance at the policeman.

“I know someone that would just love to go with you, though,” Buffy continued quickly. “You know my friend, Anya Jenkins, Willow, right?”

“Sure I do,” Willow nodded and smiled brightly. “Anya’s just crazy about you Xander; thinks you’re really neat and all. Buffy’s right, Anya would love to go with you to the Ball; she’s a lovely girl.”

Xander frowned, momentarily and shook his head. “I guess,” he whined in a child’s voice. “Anya’s a looker but she’s not you, Buff and I wanted….”

“Please, Xander,” Buffy whispered kindly, patting the big man’s arm gently. “I really would rather not go and Anya and you would have such a great time together. Call her, okay?”

“Oh, okay,” Xander sighed in defeat. “I guess I better shove off then,” he added reluctantly. “I’ll talk to you later, Buff, Willow, Tara. Nice to have met you Giles,” he grunted at Spike. “I guess,” he finished with another frown before he shuffled out of the Bistro’s front door.

“Bye,” they called to Xander’s big back as he disappeared out the front door. Willow, Tara and Buffy were completely stunned into silence by Xander’s rude behavior.

“Seems like a nice enough bloke,” Spike finally stated amicably, breaking the silence in the room. “Harris seems a bit obsessed, eh luv,” he noted the obvious, with another wink at Buffy. He was rewarded with another bright pink blush on her pretty face.

“Don’t blame him, though,” Spike mumbled as he followed the three women to the coffee bar of the Bistro. Willow giggled nervously; Tara laughed outright and Buffy just rolled her eyes dramatically.

‘You are a special beauty, especially when you blush, sweetheart.’ Spike mused with a smirk as he watched Buffy pour his coffee into a huge mug. ‘From now on, Miss Summers, I’ll see to it that I’m the reason behind every one of those pretty blushes of yours.’

While Buffy made small talk with Tara and Willow, Spike scanned the little Bistro’s walls and décor. There were several intimate photographs, placed strategically about the walls of the building.

Spike noticed several pictures of Buffy, an older woman, presumably her mother, Joyce Summers and a young dark-haired girl scattered here and there. There were even photos of Tara, Willow and other people placed here and there. All in all, it gave the Bistro a comfortable, homey look that reminded Spike of Buffy’s mysterious aura of love and tenderness.

‘Christ,’ Spike muttered under his breath, ‘personal aura? I’m beginning to sound like Glinda and Red. Buffy’s special, that’s for sure, but I need to get this in perspective,’ he reasoned with himself.

“Oh!” Willow suddenly blurted out as if she’d just been pinched. “Tara, honey,” she sputtered, “we need to scoot, ASAP! Remember? You have that ‘thing’ to do and I’m on early shift and…..”

“Right!” Tara squealed in response as she leapt from bar stool and grabbed Willow’s arm. “That ‘thing’ I have and you’re late for duty! We’ve got to go,” the blond woman declared to Buffy. “Sorry, but…..”

“You just got here,” Buffy whimpered in confusion. “It’s Tuesday and I thought…..”

“Sorry, honey,” Willow chimed in, grabbing her purse from the counter. She glanced at Spike with a guilty expression, “you’re not due at the hospital for what, Spike? Another hour or so?”

“Right,” Spike drawled with a non-chalant shrug as he sipped his delicious coffee. “Not for another hour, at least,” he added with a contented smile at Buffy.

Buffy watched, helplessly, as Tara and Willow said their goodbyes and headed out of the Bistro. With a nervous sigh, she glanced about the shop and then settled her gaze on Spike.

“Well,” Buffy stammered, anxiously, “this is certainly awkward, isn’t it?”

“Not for me,” Spike replied in a raspy whisper, reaching out to steady Buffy’s shaking hand with his. Buffy had tried to refill his mug, carefully, but her petite hand trembled, slightly, even as she poured.

“Why does ‘this’ have to be awkward, sweet?” Spike asked in a syrupy voice. “I’m here, with you, a new customer. You are a beautiful, wonderful woman who just happens to run a coffee shop/bistro.” He gave Buffy his most genuine smile and continued to sip at his coffee; his blue eyes directed at her.

“I just,” Buffy began, nervously glancing about her bistro. “Oh,” she squeaked eagerly, “more customers!”

Spike turned around on his stool to see a number of potential customers enter the shop.

‘Oh fuck,’ he grumbled to himself. ‘I’ll never be able to get to know her if…..’

Two young men hurried from in back of the shop and joined Buffy and Spike at the counter.

“We’ll take care of them,’ the fair-haired young man offered with a nod at the newest customers. “You go on and talk to your friend, Buffy,” he added with a warm smile.

“This is Andrew,” Buffy murmured her introduction to the elfin looking youngster. “That’s Johnathan,” she added with a nod to the other, shorter dark-haired man. “This is Dr. William Giles,” Buffy whispered, pointing at Spike.

“Hi Doc!” Andrew greeted Spike warmly. “We’ll just take over here and let Buffy chat with you. Right John?” He finished with a grin at his shorter companion.

“Right Drew,” Johnathan replied in a business-like tone. “Go on, Buffy,” the little man urged his employer, “have a sit and chat with the doctor here.”

Buffy, Spike noted happily, looked like a hooked fish on the line. She glanced about the bistro and then finally nodded her head in resignation at her two employees.

“Kay,” Buffy whispered, stepping out from behind the counter. “Uhm, should we sit over here,” she asked Spike shyly, pointing to a small table by the window.

“Sure,” Spike retorted happily. “I’d be glad to sit there with you Buffy,” he added. “But I wonder,” He continued carefully, “May I ask just how you got the name of Buffy, luv?”

Buffy spun about and almost glared at this Spike with resentment. “I don’t think that’s any of your business ‘Spike’ Giles,” she sputtered.

Spike began to laugh, gleefully, “Now don’t be cross with me, Buffy Summers. I think the moniker of ‘Buffy’ fits you just fine, luv. As for my nickname of Spike? I’ll be glad to enlighten you on it. In fact,” he pursed his lips and smirked wickedly. “I will tell you how I got my nickname, first, if you promise to tell me about yours, after that is?”

“Hmmm,” Buffy purred coyly, glancing behind her at this handsome blond man. Have a sit, then,” she giggled saucily, “and give me the FYI on how a brilliant heart surgeon gets the nickname of Spike. Then,” she added with a grin, “I might just explain how my mother came to call me ‘Buffy’ instead of Elizabeth!”


A/N: Okay, this fiction is going to be a lot longer then I originally planned. I just can’t write Spuffy without going on and on I’m afraid.

Xander may prove to be a problem later on. Even though Spike and Buffy seem to have hit it off right away? There will be bumps in the road of their romance. I promise more angst and bittersweet romance to come.

Thank you for reading this and please review, spufette.