Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for reading this and for the lovely reviews.
Chapter 4: ‘Nick Name Confessions’


Summary: The title pretty much sums up this chapter. Spike and Buffy reveal their nick name origins to each other.

A/N: I hope, really, that you readers find this chapter a little amusing. I really tried to make our Spuffy couple’s ‘stories’ somewhat original.

Thanks, spuf


“So, Miss Buffy Summers, just how did you get the nickname?” Spike asked with a raised brow and a slight smirk on his mouth.

They, Buffy and he, had sat at a small, intimate table, right by the large front window of the shop. As he sipped his very delicious coffee, Spike watched Buffy scrunch up her nose and actually blush again.

‘There it is, again,’ Spike thought happily, totally enthralled by Buffy’s endearing, but obviously guiles gestures. ‘That adorable blush,’ he nearly sighed out loud, but caught himself at the last second.

“Like I said ‘Spike’ Giles,” Buffy replied evenly, “you have to tell your nickname secrets first. Then I’ll spill everything,” she began to giggle girlishly, causing Spike to get even more caught up in her.

“Well,” Spike stammered a bit, “it’s really no big deal,” he continued. However, the flush on his own face told Buffy something different.

“Do I even want to know?” Buffy asked saucily. “I mean if you really don’t ‘want’ to tell me or you think it might offend…..” Spike cut her off, quickly.

“No, not offensive, really,” he chuckled, “just a little bizarre. Okay, maybe a bit ridiculous?” Again, Spike felt a warm, hot blush rise from his neck to his face.

“So?” Buffy began; her fair left eye brow was raised in question. Obviously, she was not going to let this drop and since Spike was truly interested in how Miss Summers had received her moniker?

“My first year in college,” Spike began off-handedly, “I was just a snot nosed kid, really. Only barely seventeen and just full of piss and vinegar,” he smiled at the memory.

“You began college at barely seventeen?” Buffy gasped in near disbelief. “I mean that’s major Spike, really!”

“Yeah,” Spike blushed once again, “it’s true, luv.” He took another sip of his delicious coffee and then favored Buffy with a proud grin.

“I was ahead of my class, in academics, but not so much in maturity I’m afraid.” His grin fell into a small scowl, Buffy noticed and she decided to move the discussion elsewhere.

“So, you went to college as William and became ‘Spike’ Giles instead?” She grinned herself when she noticed that her question had brought another smile to Spike’s handsome mouth.

“Somethin’ like that,” he replied quietly. “I had these two mates, friends you Americans call them, in college. My best mates, they were. We did everything together and went everywhere together. It was them that encouraged my ‘punk’ phase,” he added bashfully.

“Believe it or not, luv? I was ‘really’ punk back then. Even wore a kind of dog collar around my neck,” he smiled widely when Buffy laughed outright.

“A dog collar!” Buffy squealed with glee. “Oh, that’s rich, Spike really!”

“Okay, okay,” Spike mumbled, “I know, pretty childish, but it was my way then. Anyway, you should have seen my friends, Thomas and Jerald, they……”

“Your friends' names were Tom and Jerry?” Buffy gasped again and tried very hard not to laugh. “Like the cartoon,” she asked with wide, innocent green eyes.

“Yes ‘Buffy’ emphasis on the Buffy, part,” Spike snorted. “Exactly like you Yanks’ inane cartoon ‘Tom and Jerry’ okay.” A pout formed on his mouth no matter how hard he tried to control it.

“So, let me guess,” Buffy muttered, trying her best not to rudely laugh. “Your friends were ‘Tom and Jerry’ so you, the dog collar wearing punk friend went by ‘Spike?’ Like the dog in the toon? Is that it,” she couldn’t stop herself, Buffy burst out into great peals of laughter.

Spike noticed that Buffy was turning red, from laughing so hard. There were actually tears of glee trickling down her pretty pink cheeks!

“Okay, go ahead, Summers,” Spike muttered good-naturedly, “yuck it up all you want. I’m still dying to find out how you got a nickname of Buffy, from a name like Elizabeth?” He gave Buffy a challenging smirk and noted, happily, that this shut her up quite quick.

“Oh, that,” Buffy mumbled; suddenly very serious. She did not laugh anymore at all. Not even a slight chuckle emitted from the lovely Buffy Summers lush little mouth.

“Well,” Buffy began hesitantly as she wiped the tiny tears from her flushed face. “I guess I should start by telling you that we, as in you and I have something in common.”

“And that would be?” Spike inquired evenly as he sipped his cooling coffee and watched her over the rim of his mug.

“We both got our nick names from American television shows,” she sighed with a shake of her golden head. “You got yours, kind of, from a cartoon and I got mine from a sitcom that played on American TV. It was called ‘Family Affair’ and ran in the late 60’s early 70’s. My mother loved that show,” Buffy added wistfully, staring out the front window of her shop.

“Don’t think I’ve heard of it, luv,” Spike chuckled, delighted to see the wistful, childlike gaze on his lovely companion.

“I’m not sure if it ever ran in England,” Buffy stated, her brows furrowed in thought. “But my mom loved it and watched it all the time when she was a child. It was really hokey, truly it was,” she giggled mischievously, “but in a good kind of way, you know,” she finished hopefully.

“I’m sure it was,” Spike murmured as he set his mug down on the table and boldly took Buffy’s tiny hand in his. “So, tell me about it, eh?”

“Well,” Buffy glanced at her hand in his and blushed profusely, but did not remove it. “My mom loved the show and let me think, there was an odd cast of characters on it. A bachelor named Uncle Bill who took in his late sister’s kids. The sister and her husband were killed or something….”

“And this is a sitcom, kitten?” Spike asked in confusion. “I thought sits were supposed to be uhm, funny?” He raised his scarred left brow and frowned slightly.

“Oh, it was funny, at times,” Buffy chuckled in reply, “sometimes it was funny,” she added. “It was mostly rather sappy I think, no, I know it was because I’ve seen reruns on Nick at Nite. They still run that show from time to time,” Buffy giggled again.

“Anyway, just listen,” she ordered Spike gently. “My mom loved the show and loved all the characters. “There was Uncle Bill and his butler or valet, who was British by the way, named oddly enough, Mr. Giles French!” Buffy began to laugh at the irony of this and Spike couldn’t help but join her.

“The three orphans showed up in the first episode and moved in on Uncle Bill. Here’s where the ‘punch’ line comes in,” Buffy continued with another giggle.

“The three kids' names were Cissy; real name ‘Catherine’ and then the two twins. A boy, Jody; a nickname for ‘Jonathan' and his twin sister, Buffy. Can you guess what the name Buffy was a nickname for?” She smiled coyly at Spike and slipped her hand from his to grasp her mug.

While she took another sip of the good coffee, Buffy watched Spike from over the rim of the mug. He was handsome, oh yeah, Spike Giles was that. Spike was definitely interested in her, Buffy was sure of that! Too bad Buffy was such a coward that she just couldn’t…..

“I’ll go out on a limb here, Princess,” Spike murmured, taking Buffy’s other hand in his. “Elizabeth?” He grinned knowingly at her, a twinkle in his blue eyes.

“Yup,” Buffy nodded firmly. “Buffy was the name, I mean the real name my mother wanted to give me, but my dad….” She frowned here and shook her head, “he demanded that mom at least name me something traditional. So, that’s how I got my real given name of Elizabeth, but no one calls me that, ever,” she scrunched her nose up again.

Spike laughed warmly, “well, both of your names suit you, Princess. You are definitely a ‘princess’ and Elizabeth is definitely a royal name. Buffy suits your shiny little personality though,” he added thoughtfully.

Buffy felt another hot blush seep up her neck into her face and she took another sip of her coffee. “Thank you,” she whispered soflty, after she replaced her mug on the table.

“I guess ‘Spike’ suits you too, or I think it does,” she giggled. “Although I see you as a William also. Tell, me, William Giles, do you ever write anything? Novels, novellas or even poetry?” Buffy tilted her head to one side and studied her male companion, carefully.

“Oh, well, that,” Spike muttered, embarrassed. “I have written a book, believe it or not, but it’s really dry, purely medical.”

It almost sounded like the man was apologizing for writing a book and this confused Buffy, greatly. Before she could say anything, however, Spike added, shyly:

“Yes, I’ve even written some poetry. Really bloody awful poetry, when I was young, naïve and mistakenly thought I was in love with our neighbor girl.” Spike blushed, bright red again and hung his head, briefly.

“I’m sure it was not awful, William,” Buffy murmured softly, taking ‘his’ hand in hers this time. “I am very sure it was wonderful and heartfelt. You seem like a very soulful person to me, William Giles,” she finished quickly, maneuvering her hand from his, yet again.

Spike felt the immediate loss of Buffy’s gentle soft touch and quickly reclaimed her small hand in his. He looked, soulfully into her deep green eyes and smiled affectionately.

“Me? Not so much, the soulful part that is,” he sighed sadly. “Now, you on the other hand? I don’t think I’ve ever met a more ‘soulful’ person, much less woman, in my entire life, Buffy Summers.”

This comment brought a smile to both their faces and Buffy even forgot to take politely remove her hand from his strong hold. For some reason, being a coward or not? Buffy found comfort from the touch of this virtual stranger she had just met.

The couple sat, gazing into each others’ open, honest eyes.
“I was wondering,” Spike began, finding his voice again, “if maybe you would, I mean,” he paused, suddenly very unsure of himself. “I mean would you, could you maybe go out with me, sometime? On a like a date,” he blurted out.

‘Oh, God!’ Spike cursed himself, ‘you bloody idiot! You’re worse then a fucking poncy school boy, you…..’

“Oh,” Buffy whispered quietly, tearing her gaze away from his. “I, I don’t know,” she stammered nervously. “I’m not very good at ‘dating’ Spike,” she continued sorrowfully. “I guess I’m not what you’d really call a ‘fun’ date and…..”

“Buffy,” Spike interrupted her, gently and took her hand tenderly. “I’m sure you’re a very ‘fun’ date as you call it and wonderful companionship. If you mean ‘fun’ as in well,” he paused, clearly uncomfortable with this topic.

“I just, you know, tried to date a few times, after I broke up with my ex-fiancé. They didn’t go too well,” she finished with a sigh.

“Maybe ‘the dates’ didn’t go too well because ‘they’ weren’t the right guys to go on them with?” Spike murmured. He studied her, carefully, with a tender smile. “Maybe if you give me a chance? Go out with me, get to know me better? Let me get to know you better? Maybe our dates together would go just great, yeah?”


A/N: Well, I’m ending this chapter here. I was going to go into Buffy’s answer, but truthfully? I’m not even sure what it’s going to be yet!!!

Oh, I have to wonder if a lot of BTVS fans think that maybe this is indeed where Joss came up with Buffy? I know a lot of us writers have Elizabeth be Buffy’s real name, but the truth is; I don’t think that was ever the case in the show?

I will tell you this much; Buffy is very, very unsure of herself and in a way, so is Spike. Spuffy is going to happen, eventually, I promise.

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.