Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for reading this and the lovely reviews.
Happy New Year Everyone!
Chapter 7: ‘Do Right Man’


Summary: The movie night continues and the whole evening ends up in a surprising way for our duo.


Spike sat quietly watching the movie that played out on the big white cloth screen. Okay, so most of the time he was watching Buffy’s reactions to the movie scenes that were playing out on the big white cloth screen.

Actually, Spike found it much more entertaining to study Buffy’s emotions and expressions play out on her lovely face. More so then the ‘B’ grade black and white flick that they were watching that particularly lovely California night.

“Oh,” Buffy sighed dreamily when Joel McCrea’s character sweet-talked Miriam Hopkins’ alter, but truer ego, Mary. Of course, poor old McCrea had no idea that he was also speaking to ‘The Swan’ who was Hopkin’s jaded counterpart in the movie.

Spike smiled softly and resisted the urge to wrap his left arm about Buffy’s slim shoulders. Especially when Buffy sighed again, her eyes glued to the movie in front of her. Instead, he casually took her little hand in his and gently ‘played’ with it.

If Buffy was put off or offended by this maneuver of his, Spike didn’t notice. Buffy seemed completely mesmerized by the plot line of the movie on the screen. Spike did notice, however, that the object of his desires seemed to smile, slightly, as he ‘pet’ her hand with his fingers. She did not, he noted, pull her hand away from his and this made him feel quite bold indeed.

‘Quite bold indeed!’ Spike thought ruefully. ‘For God’s sake I sound like that idiot ponce ‘William’ I used to be,’ he derided himself in disgust.

The movie did not last too long, but when it was finally over, Spike saw that Buffy was weeping softly. He found the movie to be pretty melodramatic, in a kind of sweet, quaint sort of way. It figured that Buffy would find it heart wrenching; something that endeared her even more to him.

“What’s wrong, luv?” Spike asked, tenderly brushing Buffy’s golden hair from her cheek.

“Nothing,” Buffy replied in a tear-stained, muffled voice. “Well…..” she whispered.

“You’re sad because the baddie, Robinson’s character, got dragged off by the vigilantes and apparently hung in the end?” Spike murmured somewhat sympathetically to Buffy who was trying to be unobvious with her soft sobs.

“No, not really,” Buffy sniffed. “Well, not so much that, the fact that the bad guy got hung in the end. Just that no matter how much power Edward G’s character had, or how much he ran San Francisco? He still couldn’t get the one thing he wanted; for the Swan to love him like he loved her.”

“Yeah,” Spike stammered, a little confused, “but at least Swan and the good guy got together in the end. Isn’t the bad guy supposed to lose, luv? McCrea’s character was the good guy, right?” Spike seemed a little unsure at the moment; an emotion that Buffy seemed to bring out in him, constantly.

“Yeah,” Buffy muttered under her breath. “It’s just that when someone loves someone else so much? Like Louis (Robinson’s character) loved the Swan? It’s kind of sad that……”



“Hey!” She cried in mock indignation. Before Spike could fathom what was going on, Buffy grabbed ‘his’ bag of corn and pulled out a handful of the cooled down treat. Without a by-your-leave, Buffy threw her handful of popcorn at both Wesley and Fred; the remnants hitting Clem and Sophie.

“Oh, it’s on now!” Sophie screamed in delight as she hurled her handful of popped corn at Buffy and Spike.

“Direct hit baby!” Clem encouraged his wife, even while he tossed a handful of his bag of corn at Xander, Willow and Tara.

“Dibs on Buffy!” Xander squealed roughly, throwing his whole corn bag of contents at Buffy.

“Hardly,” Spike growled in defiance, pulling Buffy behind his body and catapulting the entire remains of his bag of corn at Harris and his pal, Jesse.

Buffy screamed in childish delight as she took shelter behind her ‘undate’s’ sturdy body.

‘I think I could get used to this,’ Buffy thought contently to herself. It was then that Wesley Pryce cried for a truce to the popcorn wars.

“I should have warned you about that,” Buffy giggled girlishly from behind Spike’s back. “Wesley spent summers at his cousin’s winery in Italy, when he was a youngster. I guess in Italy, at the cinema, it’s kind of tradition to throw popcorn and candy at other theatre goers. Fred and Wes make sure we end every Friday movie night with a popcorn battle.”

Buffy finished with another giggle, causing Spike to wish she’d let him just take her in his arms and…..


The shrill ring of Spike’s cell phone interrupted his thoughts and desires. He reluctantly checked the caller ID and realized that it was the hospital.

“I’m afraid I have to take this, sweet,” Spike murmured to Buffy in an apologetic tone.

“Of course,” Buffy replied with a nod. For some reason, Buffy hoped that Spike wasn’t being called in on an emergency. The evening was really just getting started and…..

After Spike spoke to the faceless phone caller, he clicked off the cell and looked at Buffy with disappointment.

“I’m sorry, I have to go to the hospital, Princess,” he sighed heavily. “It’s the Rayne case. Not an emergency,” he assured Buffy who had turned pale at his words.

“Just a little pre-op paperwork that I need to clear up and all,” Spike grumbled. “I am really sorry,” he added sincerely.

“That’s okay,” Buffy replied evenly. “I’ve been called the hospital numerous times, to check on the babies,” she continued somberly. “I don’t even work there, officially, but they have called me, at weird times and…..” her voice trailed of weakly; her expression had become almost melancholy.

“Hey, you want to come with? To the hospital I mean?” Spike interjected quickly even as he attempted to keep the pathetic hope out of his voice. “I mean I know it’s not the end all Friday night ‘thing’ but…..”



“Well, okay,” Buffy stammered slowly. “I could drop in and check on the little ones tonight,” she finished with a soft smile. “If it’s not putting you out that is.”

“Putting ‘me’ out?” Spike asked incredulously. “Hell no,” he quipped happily. “Let’s say our good nights to everyone and we’ll head out, eh?”

“Uh huh,” Buffy murmured quietly. She dared a glance at Xander, who looked as if he was ready to commit murder.

‘I can’t believe Xander listened in to Spike and my conversation,’ Buffy sighed inwardly. ‘He really needs to get a grip,’ she reasoned silently.

“I’m afraid ‘we’ need to head over to Sunnydale General,” Buffy offered quickly to Fred and Wesley. “Spike needs to check on Mr. Rayne and I should really spend a little time with my babies,” she added seriously.

“Of course honey,” Fred spoke up first. “Thanks for showing up, both of you,” she continued with a nod at Buffy and Spike.

“Do drop by anytime,” Wesley added warmly. “We do this most Friday nights.”

“I’ll take you to the hospital, Buff,” Xander blurted out of turn. “You don’t ‘have’ to go with the doc here. Besides, someone will need to take you home afterwards and…..”

“I want to go with William,” Buffy mumbled shyly, allowing Spike to take her hand in his. “Will you take me home, after you’re done, Spike?” She asked the blond doctor hopefully.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way, sweetling,” Spike whispered tenderly, ignoring the death looks that the hulking Harris was giving him.

“Thanks,” Buffy called behind her as she allowed Spike to escort her into his car.

Spike echoed the sentiment and slipped into the driver’s seat. Before long, the couple was headed down the empty highway, back into Sunnydale.

As they drove along, Buffy stared out at the dark, eerie country scenery.

“Is it pretty, in England I mean?” She finally broke the awkward silence between them with her question. “Is it empty in places, like here,” she continued evenly. “But pretty, in a vacant, lonely sort of way?”

Buffy glanced at her companion quickly, a little embarrassed by her mournful musings.


“Well, yeah, I 'spose,” Spike murmured, keeping his eyes trained on the dark road ahead of them. “There’s so much history in England; this place is still new Buffy, compared to home that is.”

“Yeah, I suppose,” Buffy whispered distantly as she kept watch on the scenery that passed them by.

“So, you and the whelp? What’s that about?” Spike asked carefully, leaving Harris’ name out of the question.

Buffy knew exactly who Spike was talking about and it did cause her to smile, just a tad.

“The whelp?” She asked with a quick, mischievous chuckle. “What’s a whelp, Spike, and exactly how does it pertain to Xander Harris?” Buffy glanced at him out of her left eye, her smirk still plastered on her mouth.

“He’s an okay bloke, I guess,” Spike mumbled in a dubious tone. “I just think he’s barkin’ up the wrong tree, where you’re concerned and……”

“Barking up the wrong tree!” Buffy burst out into peals of laughter, eliciting a similar response from Spike.

“Okay, so that was kind of poorly put,” Spike snorted between laughs. “I meant, Harris is not your type, that’s all,” he finished with a shrug.

“And you are?” Buffy finished for him, her own mouth twisted into a pouty sort of smirk.

“Yup,” Spike replied with a determined nod of his blond head. “I believe that I am,” he added with conviction.

They rode the rest of the way to the hospital in comfortable silence. Both Spike and Buffy wore the most oddest, yet contented smiles on their faces.


At the hospital, Spike and Buffy split up, temporarily that is. Buffy headed down to the nursery and her ‘charges’ while Spike went to his makeshift office to go over some paperwork on the Rayne case. Ethan’s special operation was in two days and things were not going to be as easy or simple as Spike suspected at first.

Finally, after about an hour of scouring the various papers and documents, Spike yawned, stretched and set the casework down on his desk. His mind wandered to the magical little blond that had already captured his heart.

‘She’s really trying to push any bloke away,’ Spike reminded himself. ‘Well, Buffy won’t be pushin’ me away, that’s for certain,’ he finished with a self-assured grin.

Spike found Buffy, exactly where he expected to, in the hospital hallway, in front of ‘her’ nursery window. He noted that the young woman had a faraway, almost sad look in her green eyes when she turned to greet him.

“They all tucked in for the night, luv,” Spike murmured tenderly as he took his place next to Buffy.

“Yeah, I guess,” Buffy replied in her soft, hushed tone he had come to love. His tiny companion continued to gaze at ‘her’ babies as they snuggled into their various sleeping compartments.

“Is Mr. Rayne going to be all right Spike?” Buffy asked suddenly without really looking at him.

“I believe so, pet,” Spike replied off-handedly. “The surgery is not so difficult and I’ve done it plenty of times before. Ethan should be good as new soon and home with his family where he belongs,” he finished with a slight shrug of his shoulders.

“Good,” Buffy murmured under her breath, still gazing at the mostly sleeping babies in the nursery before them. “I just wish you had a miracle or two up your sleeve for them,” she sighed wistfully.

“I do too, sweetheart,” Spike mumbled sincerely, placing his long arm around Buffy’s slim little shoulders.

“I’m afraid I’m merely a good heart surgeon, Buffy,” he went on to explain in an apologetic tone. “My miracles I perform are due to an excellent education and a gift from God, sweet,” he continued. “I do believe that my surgical skills are a gift, from God, Buffy, always have. However, I seem to be good at the physical practice of heart medicine only; not the spiritual understanding of the heart. It’s a curse, really, not to be able to know the human heart; not like I wish I could truly do.”

“But you do ‘know’ the human heart, Will,” Buffy gasped a little in surprise as she looked up at him. “I can see what a good, caring man you truly are, deep inside of you. I ‘feel’ how much you know and understand the human heart, even if ‘you’ don’t William Giles!”

Buffy was looking at him as if he’d grown two heads and Spike was quite taken aback for a moment or two. He wondered, not for the first time since meeting Buffy Summers, if this little dynamo of a girl had him figured out, even more then he himself did.

“I am trying to learn to understand the essence of the heart, that’s true enough Buffy,” he whispered tenderly as he brushed a blond lock from her face, gently.

She rewarded him with a sweet smile and a short, abrupt giggle. It truly made Spike’s heart sing, right at that moment and he again realized that he had completely fallen in love with Buffy; lock, stock and smoking scalpel.

“We best get you home, sweetheart,” Spike finally stated gently. “It’s late and all. Do you go to your shop tomorrow then?” He asked rather hopefully, deciding right then and there to ‘drop’ by the coffee bistro if the lovely owner would be there.

“No, I’m off tomorrow,” Buffy sighed happily in response. Her smile lit up her little face, causing Spike to have to catch his breath again at the lovely sight.

“I take Saturday’s off,” she continued brightly as they strode down the nearly empty hallway. “I enjoy going in on Sunday’s though, it’s very busy and so many Sunnydale folks drop in after church and all!”


Spike pulled up in front of Buffy’s condo; a small but pleasant enough looking abode. The condo was bright white and a peach colored trim, causing a kind of cottage looking over all affect.

“Nice place,” Spike stated the obvious, a little embarrassed by his sudden nervous tone. “Uhm, I think I should at least walk you to your door then?” He felt like an utter fool at the sound of his own suddenly boyish voice.

“Thanks,” Buffy murmured in response, her own voice suddenly a bit nervous and unsure.

“What kind of car is this,” Buffy asked quickly trying to ease the sudden tenseness in the car.

“A 1956 DeSoto,” Spike replied proudly. “I’ve had it for years; fixed it up and refurbished it. Drove it from back east when I came out here; can’t afford to be parted by my baby here,” he chuckled as he patted the dashboard lovingly.

“I like it,” Buffy said sincerely with a gentle, slight smile on her pink lips. “It’s, I don’t know, comfy I guess,” she giggled softly, also running her tiny right hand over the dashboard.

“Thanks,” Spike replied quickly, sincerely pleased that Buffy liked his old, but classic vehicle.

“Uhm, Spike,” Buffy stammered quietly, “would you like to come in for a while? Have a cup of coffee, or tea perhaps?”

Spike noticed that his companion had again become quite nervous and shy. Poor girl didn’t even look at him when she invited him in for an innocent cuppa’.


“I’d love it, Buffy,” he replied, genuinely pleased that she had asked him. “I’ll take the coffee,” he added quickly, “for being British and all? Not much of a tea drinker I’m afraid,” he finished with a wry smile.

Buffy led Spike into her medium sized condominium, somewhat hesitantly. She seemed almost apologetic for the smallness of the abode, Spike thought. The truth was, Buffy’s flat was rather large for just one person; neat as a pin and decorated very well.

Spike could see ‘Buffy’ in every aspect of the front living area and suspected that the rest of the flat was somewhat the same. He liked the cozy place immediately and felt very comfortable in taking a seat on the plush mauve hued sofa in the living room.

Buffy hurried off to prepare coffee, although for some reason, Spike would have preferred a beer or wine. Although he felt a sense of rightness in being in Buffy’s home, he still felt a little nervous around her. She was a paradox, that was for certain, but Spike had every intention of finding out all about Buffy Summers.

When Buffy returned to the living room with the coffee items, Spike pointed out a large ‘family’ portrait of the Summers women.

“That must be your mum and little sis, Dawn is it?” Spike asked with a nod at the huge picture over the inviting fireplace.

“Yes, that’s Mom and Dawn and me,” Buffy sighed wistfully eyeing the portrait. “Did Tara tell you about Dawnie,” she asked suddenly, a little confused that Spike would even know about her family at all.

“Yes,” Spike admitted sheepishly, “Tara told me about your mum, your little sister and well, some other things,” he added quickly taking a sip of coffee.

“That’s good,” he blurted out, trying to steer the conversation to something a little less personal. The coffee was truly delicious and very hot.

“It should be,” Buffy giggled girlishly, “it’s what I ‘do’ for a living!” Her tone became suddenly serious as she gazed at the Summers’ portrait.

“Dawn attends USC you know,” Buffy sighed again, but smiled warmly at the picture of the dark-haired Summers’ sibling. “I’m so proud of her,” she gave Spike a genuine grin.

“Mom insisted that at least one of her daughters get a four year degree and Dawn’s the one! She’s going for her business degree, but I know she’ll go on; maybe be the first Summers lawyer!” Buffy just beamed by now as she sipped her coffee and gushed over her younger sister.

“Well, she should be proud of you too, Buffy,” Spike interjected. “Angel O’Connor told me how you took over for your mum when she passed on. Made sure your little sis got off to college and made something of herself. It’s bloody hard to give up your own dreams for others, Buffy, even I know that. Even though I’ve never really had to give up anything for anyone,” he finished with a scowl.

“Tara told me you lost your own mother some years ago, Spike,” Buffy said softly, setting her coffee mug down on the coaster she’d provided. “Cancer wasn’t it,” she asked quietly, her sad gaze was directed at Joyce Summers’ picture on the mantel.


“Yes, like your own mum,” Spike murmured in reply. “She was a wonderful woman, my mum,” he added wistfully. “I understand your mother was a wonderful woman too, Buffy,” he finished with a sympathetic half-smile.

“She was,” Buffy stated evenly, but smiled brightly. “My mother was a strong, wonderful woman and a great mom. Dawn and I were lucky to have her for a mother, even if our dad wasn’t the most stellar father figure.”

She shrugged slightly, signaling the end of this particular conversation. Spike quickly changed the subject, dismissing the idea, silently, of discussing his own father with Buffy. There would be time for that in the future, of that he was certain.

“How about some music?” Buffy asked suddenly, hopping up to turn on the CD player without waiting for Spike’s answer.

“I don’t suppose you have any Sex Pistols, eh?” Spike asked with a half joking chuckle.

“Sex Pistols?” Buffy asked with a raised brow as she shuffled through some CDs quickly. “Really,” she asked with a confused look on her face.

“No, I’m kidding you, Buffy, well, kind of,” Spike laughed. “Anything is fine, really,” he finished happily.

“Good,” Buffy giggled as she slipped a CD into the player and adjusted the volume. “Because I’m going with Aretha Franklin here, you know ‘the Queen of Soul’ and all. I just love this first song, so bear with me, kay?”

Buffy looked at Spike with that ‘wide-eyed’ innocent expression of hers and he felt his heart skip three beats.

‘Oh, she’s the one, that’s for sure,’ he thought to himself. ‘This girl is who I’ve been waiting for my whole life.’

“That’s fine, luv,” he reassured her in his softest tone of voice.

The soft strains of a bluesy number filtered into the living room as Buffy rejoined Spike on the sofa.


‘Do Right Man’ (by Aretha Franklin)


“Take me to heart
And I’ll always love you
And nobody can make me do wrong
Take me for granted
Leaving love unshown
Makes will power weak
And temptation strong.


A woman’s only human
You should understand
She’s not just a plaything
She’s flesh and blood
Just like her man!

If you want a do right
All days woman…
You’ve got to be a do right
All night man.

Yeah, yeah
They say that it’s a man’s world
But you can’t prove that by me
And as long as we’re together, baby
Show some respect for me.

If you want a do right
All days’ woman?
You’ve got to be a do right
All night man.

A woman’s only human,
This you should understand
She’s not just a plaything,
She’s flesh and blood
Just like her man.

If you want a do right
All days woman
You’ve got to be a do right
All nights man.

You’ve got to be a do right
All nights man.



“You met Tara in some summer program, right?” Buffy asked Spike when the song had finished; she had adjusted the volume a little lower with the remote control.

“Right,” Spike said easily, taking another sip of his coffee. “Glinda was a counselor’s aide and kind of adopted me and my mates, Tom and Jerry.” He smiled warmly at Buffy when she giggled at the memory of his friends’ names and his own silly nickname.

“You call her Glinda sometimes; is it because she was a Wiccan for a while?” Buffy asked, although she knew the answer to that. For some reason, she found it necessary to keep the conversation going; almost as if she didn’t want the evening to end.

They talked on; about everything either of them could think of. If only to prolong the evening and their time together. Spike could see the strain of weariness in Buffy’s emerald eyes, but he couldn’t quite bring himself to say goodnight.

For her own part, Buffy realized that Spike must be exhausted, but she made no move to usher him out, politely of course. They just continued to chat, amicably; Buffy even offering Spike a glass of wine, which he accepted quickly.

The last thing either of them remembered that night was having a glass of wine together. Buffy was rambling on, quietly about ‘do right men’ while Spike listened intently, sympathetically nodding at the right moments.

When Spike woke up, he was prone on the couch; Buffy was curled up in his arms. The first rays of morning were streaming in through Buffy’s front window.

Spike’s first thought was ‘I could get used to this’ just before he felt Buffy begin to stir in his arms.

‘Oh bloody hell,’ Spike thought anxiously right as Buffy opened her huge green eyes. ‘She’s going to think I took advantage of her! Though I don’t figure how she could really. After all, we’re right here, on the sofa, fully clothed and…..’

“Well, good morning Spike,” Buffy greeted him softly, her plump little mouth was formed into a shy smile.

‘Look at that pouty lush little bottom lip,’ Spike thought, admiring Buffy’s early morning expression. ‘I’m gonna’ get that lip,’ he promised himself just before he leaned in to take said lip between his own.

If the front door bell hadn’t of rang, there was no telling where Spike’s little maneuver would have led to. But, the front door bell rang, only to be followed by a loud, insistent pounding on the front door itself.

“Who the heck could that be?” Buffy wondered out loud, glancing at the huge clock on the wall behind the dining room table.

All thoughts of the odd situation that she had woken up to fled from Buffy’s sleep addled mind as she slipped off the couch and out of Spike’s warm arms. She stumbled, numbly to her front door and looked through the peep hole.

“Oh good Christ!” Buffy swore under her breath as she unlocked the door and yanked it open abruptly.

Spike could see Xander Harris, in full policeman’s attire, hovering about Buffy’s open door. Harris, Spike noted, looked as if he was ready to kill someone. Spike pretty much figured out ‘who’ Officer Harris probably wanted to kill.

Buffy didn’t ask Xander in; she just crossed her arms over her ample chest and cocked her head to one side.

“Xander, what the hell are you doing here? At this time?” Buffy asked the angry policeman in a petulant tone.

“What’s ‘he’ doing here? That’d be a better question, Buff,” Xander shot back as he pushed past Buffy and stormed over to the sofa.

Spike had just enough time to stand up and face up to Harris before the cop doubled up his meaty fist and punched him in the jaw. No one was more surprised then Spike when he found himself flat on his back, once again, on the sofa.

“Xander!” Buffy screamed, right after she slammed the front door. She ran to the sofa and got in between it and Xander.

“Why would you do that?” She cried, incredulously, up at the hulking policeman.

“He comes over here and takes advantage of you Buffy!” Xander screeched in response. “I drove past your place, to make sure you were okay and I see that piece of shit car of his out there! At 6:30 AM! I figured he’d done something bad to you, Buff and…..”

“OUT!” Buffy screamed at the top of lungs while she pointed to the front door. “Get out Xander and don’t you dare come back! I’ve just about had it with you and your possessive crap! I told you before; I am not interested in you as anything but a friend. Nothing more and…..”

By this time, Spike had stood up, gently pushed Buffy aside and started to go on the defensive attack on Harris. Buffy had to shove herself between the two men, once again, to keep Spike from belting Xander on the chops.

“I don’t have to explain anything to you Xander,” Buffy finally spoke, much more calmly now. “I will tell you this though; Spike is here with me because I want him here. Nothing happened and…..”

“Nothing ‘did’ happen did it,” she looked at Spike imploringly before frowning at Xander again.

“Nothing happened, sweet,” Spike growled, his angry glare directed at Xander. “Not that it’s any of this moron’s business but…..”

“Out Xander,” Buffy ordered the bewildered cop again. “Spike’s right, it’s none of your business and you have no right to come here and beat on my guests. Go!” She pointed at the door again and watched as Xander skulked over to it.

“You better watch yourself asshole,” Xander spat at Spike before he stormed out of the front door.

Buffy stood, somewhat stunned by the whole bizarre scene that had just taken place in her living room. She turned to look at Spike, her face twisted in a look of utter confusion.

“Can you believe that?” She gasped at Spike, her eyes wide with disbelief.

“Yeah, I can,” Spike mumbled through an already swelling lip. “I think you tend to make men revert to cave man play, sweetheart,” he chuckled, then hissed in slight pain.

“Oh, let me get you some ice for that,” Buffy murmured, her face red with embarrassment.

When she returned, Spike was sitting on the sofa, chuckling softly. This confused Buffy even more and she told him so, between placing her icy cold compress on his swollen mouth.

“What’s so funny?” Buffy asked Spike as she dabbed his lip again, tenderly. Her mouth was once again twisted into a confused sort of pout, something Spike found oddly endearing.

“Well,” he began, “I have to hand it to Harris. He’s an idiot, that’s for sure, but I can’t fault a man for trying to ‘protect’ what he thinks is his.”

“It’s ridiculous!” Buffy squealed, adding pressure to her compress this time. She was oddly pleased when Spike flinched a little at her touch.

“Yeah, it might be, but I’m thinkin’ that it works out for me,” Spike chuckled softly.

“How’s that?” Buffy asked suspiciously, setting the compress on an unused coaster on the table.

“Well don’t you think that now you kind of ‘owe’ me a date Buffy?” Spike smirked just a bit as he asked the question. “I mean a real date? Where I pick you up; take you to dinner and a movie and try to steal a kiss in the theatre?”

Buffy looked dumbfounded, momentarily, and this endeared her even more to Spike.

“I mean, if you think about it,” he began, quite self-assured suddenly and almost cocky. “If you think about it, the least you can do is come out with me on a real date. I did ‘try’ and defend your honor and…..”

“Oh shut the hell up, William,” Buffy mumbled in exasperation, though her smile betrayed her pleasure. “But you do have a point,” she continued sweetly. “The least I can do is let you buy me an expensive supper; at the best place in Sunnydale, of course. There is a movie I’ve wanted to see, playing at the Sunnydale Cinema Complex.”

Spike grinned, confidently, at the object of his affection. “I’ll pick you up, tonight,” he stated, rather then asked. “At 7:00 sharp.”


A/N: Well, that was certainly a turn around for our girl! I’m just really tired of angst lately (especially in real life) and thought I’d start off the New Year with a nice, kind of fluffy Spuffy chapter or two!

The song in this chapter is ‘Do Right Man’ by Aretha Franklin. It kind of describes what Buffy is looking for and of course I think Spike fits the bill!

Happy New Year everyone!

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.