Chapter 3

Heartbreaking Reunions

Wolfram and Hart, L.A.

“So this is what Angels been doing all this time.” Dawn stared in awe at the enormous building before her.

“Wolfram and Hart, yes this is the place.” Giles, Dawn and Spike were standing outside the law office about to go in.

“She’s really in there.” Dawn said longingly. Though Dawn did love her new life in Rome she would have given it up in a heartbeat just to have her sister back. She kept pinching herself just as a reminder that it was not all a dream. Buffy was back and she was waiting for them.

“Yes she is.” Giles too couldn’t wait to see Buffy again.

“Well what are we waiting for let’s go see her.”

Together the three of them walked into the building and up to the receptionist desk. Giles cleared his throat, “Please tell Angel that Rupert Giles is here to see him. He should be expecting us.”

The receptionist immediately got on the phone and dialed Angel. After a few quick words she looked back to Giles. “Mr. Angel is waiting for you. Take the elevator to the top floor.” Giles gave her a curt nod and headed off toward the elevators.

Angel was pacing in front of Harmony’s desk waiting for Giles to come. Wesley, Fred, and Gunn too were watching anxiously for the elevator doors to open.

“How’s Lorne?” Angel tried to start a conversation to get his mind off the impending meeting.

“He’s doing better. The med lab said he should be awakening shortly.” Wesley answered.

“And the others?”

“Doing better.”

“Good, good.” Angel nodded distractedly.

“Angel about Buffy…” Wesley started but didn’t get to finish because the elevator doors opened and there stood Giles, Dawn and Spike.

The three of them entered the lobby taking in there surroundings, Angel stepped forward to greet them.

“Giles it’s good to see you again.” He gave Giles a quick handshake.

Then he turned to Dawn, hugging her tightly, “Dawnie you’ve grown so much since I last saw you.”

“Spike.” They could tell by Angel’s tone that he was not happy to see the other vampire. Spike gave him a quick nod but didn’t say anything.

“So,” Dawn began, “When can we see her?”

Angel’s friendly mood disappeared at the mention of Buffy. “Well that’s what I need to talk to you about.”

“What do you mean you need to talk to us about it?” Giles asked suspiciously.

“Um why don’t y’all go into Angel’s office.” Fred spoke up.

Angel looked at Fred gratefully, “Yes why don’t we go into my office.” Angel put his arm around Dawn’s shoulder to lead her to his office but she shook him off.

“Where the hell is my sister?”

“Dawn I don’t think we should discuss this out here.” Angel tried to walk to his office but was stopped when Giles grabbed his arm.

“Where is she?” His tone was dangerous and his grip on Angel tightened. “Tell me now!” Angel said nothing.

“Mr. Giles, Angel is right this type of matter should be discussed in the privacy of his office.” Wesley

“Shut up Wesley!” Giles hissed, “If he has something to tell me it can wait till after I see Buffy.”

“Giles.” Spike place his hand on Giles’ shoulder, “We should listen to what they have to say.” Giles looked from Spike to Angel before letting go of Angel’s wrist. “But,” Spike said looking from each member of the group his gaze finally landing on Angel. “We will see her.”

They walked silently into Angel’s office. Giles and Dawn sat slumped on the couch clearly not wanting to be there, Spike stood near them leaning against the wall looking intently at the sunlight streaming in through the windows. Angel sat at his desk, Gunn, Fred, and Wesley stood behind him.

“I know you really want to see Buffy but there is something you have to understand. Buffy isn’t like she was before, she’s changed.” He trailed off for a moment, “a lot.”

“Changed how?”

“Well when the amulet brought her back it…” He stopped. Angel didn’t know what to say. How was he supposed to tell them the person they loved most in this world had just spent a year in Hell?”

Wesley broke in, “The amulet was created to trap the Evil and it is to be worn be someone who is ensouled and stronger than a human, a..”

Spike interrupted him, “A champion.”

Wesley looked at Spike curiously, “Yes you’re quite right a champion. The amulet serves as a portal which the champion uses to trap the Evil in Hell.”

“Okay so the amulet trapped the First and all the baddies in Hell. What does this have to do with Buffy?” Dawn asked impatiently.

“Well not only does the Evil get trapped but so does the wearer of the amulet. They have to sacrifice their own life for the greater good.”

Wesley watched as Giles, Spike, and Dawn reacted to the news. Giles put his head in his hands and sobbed loudly. Spike said nothing simply glared at everyone. Dawn stood up in front of Angel’s desk and looked him straight in the eye, “Take me to my sister.”

Angel’s eyes widened, “Dawn Buffy was in Hell she doesn’t know who you are anymore. I can’t take you to her, she’s dangerous.”

But Dawn refused to listen, she pounded her fist on his desk, “I said take me to Buffy NOW!”

Angel looked at Dawn sadly, “Dawnie I’m so sorry.” He tried to hug her but she pushed him away.

“You’re lying Buffy wasn’t in Hell. She couldn’t be. No I don’t believe you.” She began to shake uncontrollably. Spike who had been watching Dawn, walked over to her a wrapped her into a protective embrace. She cried into his shoulder.

After several minutes Giles managed to compose himself, he faced Angel again. “Is there anyway that you’re wrong, that Buffy wasn’t in Hell?”

Dawn too stopped crying to listen to Angel’s answer.

Angel shook his head dejectedly, “No, there’s no way we’re wrong.”

Giles let out a ragged sigh, “Oh God.” He looked back at Angel pleadingly, “Please just let us see her.”

A mixture of emotions crossed Angel’s face at Giles’ plea, but he knew he couldn’t keep them from seeing her. “Follow me.”

Together the seven of them made their way down the hall and towards a door heavily guarded by two armed men. The armed guards moved away from the doorway to let Angel and the others pass through. The room was small and empty and with no windows there was little light but they could clearly make out the huddled form of Buffy chained to the wall by her hands and feet. Dawn’s first instinct was to run to her sister but Angel held her back. Giles stood in stunned silence.

Spike’s eyes flashed angrily as he spun around to face Angel, “What have you done?”

Angel matched Spike’s anger, “I had no choice.” He ground out.

“No choice?” Spike let out a harsh laugh. “Peaches this is Buffy we’re talkin about not some bloody monster!”

“You and I both know Hell changes people. God Spike she was there for a year, that must have been like an eternity for her. She doesn’t remember who we are and she doesn’t trust us. She nearly killed Lorne today because she thought he was attacking her and she took out three guards when we brought her in here.”

“She always was a tough lil bird.” He said smugly.

“This isn’t a joke Spike! Buffy is dangerous. She’s scared and unpredictable, and until we earn her trust back this is what has to be done.”

“You really think that by chaining her up you’re going to earn her trust back?”

Angel glared at him, “That’s not the point.” He sighed frustratingly, “I don’t know what else to do with her.”

“Unchain her.”

“No.”

“Stop treating her like she’s a damned animal for godsake she’s a human being.”

Angel just shook his head, “No I don’t like it anymore than you do but I won’t unchain her.”

“Then I will.” He started to walk towards Buffy but Angel grabbed his arm to stop him.

Spike looked down to see where Angel held his arm tightly, “What do you think you’re doing Peaches?”

“I won’t let you unchain her Spike.”

“That’s a good one Poofter.” Spike pushed Angel away from him. Angel staggered back but when he regained his balance he advanced angrily toward Spike.

Too caught up in their anger neither noticed Buffy, who was straining on her chains trying to break free. The others too were to busy watching Spike and Angel to pay any attention to her. They heard the chains break as Buffy ripped off the chains around her arms and the ones around her legs came off just as easily. No one moved they all stared at Buffy unsure of what to do. She was breathing heavily she looked around at each member of the group her gaze finally landing on Angel. Her eyes flashed dangerously at the sight of him and he knew she was going to attack him. He quickly pushed Dawn and Fred out the door where Giles and Gunn quickly followed. “Shut the door!” They did as they were told and Spike and Angel were left with an extremely angry Buffy.

“I told you, you shouldn’t of chained her up.” Spike muttered under his breath.

“Shut up this isn’t the time.” Buffy was watching him intently. “Come on Buffy it’s Angel remember, I won’t hurt you.” Buffy continued to watch him, her eyes narrowing suspiciously.

“I don’t think it’s working.”

He gave Spike a look to shut him up which was all Buffy needed to attack. She came at him watch punching him hard in the gut. Angel went down on his knees in pain. Buffy grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and threw him at the wall. He hit the wall and landed on his stomach. Buffy walked over to the unmoving Angel and kicked him in the side. Angel still didn’t move.

“I think he’s out sweetheart.”

Buffy had not noticed the darkly clad newcomer who was standing a few feet from her. But the way he was looking at her made her uneasy.

“Hello Buffy.”

She didn’t acknowledge his address but he hadn’t expected her too. Angel was right she didn’t know who he was, God she didn’t even know who she is or who she had been. She didn’t know she was a Slayer or remember all the good she had done. This was going to be harder than he thought.

Spike walked closer to Buffy. “I know you don’t know who I am and I know you don’t trust me. But listen to me I’m here to help you not hurt you.”

Buffy stood her ground but continued to stare at him disbelievingly.

Spike ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. “God I must sound like the Poofter.” He tried again, “Listen Buffy…”

“Stop.” It was the first time she had spoken since she returned. Her voice sounded ragged and hoarse it had been along time since she last used it.

“Stop what?”

“Stop calling me that.”

Spike looked at her incredulously, “What, Buffy?”

“Yes, don’t call me that name.”

“But that’s your name Buffy.”

Buffy put her hands of her ears and shook her head violently. “No, no lies it’s all lies.”

Spike instantly went to her and tried to pry her hands away from her head. Buffy pushed him away and backed into the wall. She pulled her knees to her chest and begin rocking back and forth, muttering to herself. He tried once again and reached out to grab her hand, but she flinched and he backed away.

“Don’t touch it burns. Oh how it burns.”

Spike stood watching and listening as Buffy continued to talk to herself, he didn’t know what else to do.

“It hurts as they tear at me, ripping me apart. Why doesn’t anyone help me, why won’t they stop?”

“Help me! Someone please help me. But no one comes and I’m left alone. There is nothing I can do but let them take everything from me. Let them destroy me.”

Buffy stopped rocking and stopped talking. A painful silence followed no one moved, no one spoke. Listening to Buffy recounted her time in Hell just about killed Spike. She thought everyone had deserted her, left her to be tortured. No wonder she’s been so angry with everyone. But she wasn’t going to be alone anymore he’d make sure of it.

Spike went to Buffy, determined to help her any way he could. He pulled her to him, she fought him but Spike wouldn’t let her go. Finally she surrendered burying her head in his chest letting out gut wrenching sobs. Spike held her tighter, whispering comforting words softly as she continued to cry. “That’s it luv, let it all out.”

When the sobs finally ceased Buffy still clung to Spike, finding comfort in her stranger’s arms. And that’s where they stayed until many hours later when the others returned to the little room. They found Angel still sprawled out in the middle of the room. But that was not what surprised them, all five stared in surprise at the other two occupants of the room. Spike was leaning against the wall with Buffy’s head lying contently on his chest, even in their sleep they held each other tightly. Buffy and Spike had found each other once again.

T.B.C