Elisabeth Anne Summers, shelly, maryperk, Sharon, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!

Here’s another very quick update:


Multiple Break-Up (III)

TWO DAYS LATER

LOS ANGELES

Spike got out of Angel’s car, thinking that it was nothing like his beloved DeSoto and got ready to play his part, heading towards Angel’s office as he recalled in his mind what he was supposed to say and what not.

He had already warned everyone about his return with a phone call, so he knew that they were waiting for him.

In fact, Harmony came to greet him by the door.

“Welcome back, Boss, so you’ve been at Sunnydale. How is my brownie bear? I miss him so much...” the blonde vampiress said with a melancholic attitude.

After a very quick reasoning, Spike realized that she was talking about him.

“Well, Harm, he’s fine, but he didn’t ask about you and he certainly does *not* miss you!” he snapped and she turned her back at him, insulted, raising her long smooth hair with a hand and leaving.

Cordelia got into the room, the sweetest smile ever gracing her face, and it was just and only for him.

“Finally, you’re back!” she exclaimed.

The others decided to leave them alone and resumed doing what they were doing before.

Cordelia looked at him better and her face darkened.

“Eeeww, why are you dressed like that? What happened to the nice dark grey cashmere sweater that I bought for you?” she wondered.

“Uh. Well, I got rid of it!” he shrugged.

“What? You got rid of *my gift*? I thought that you’d liked it!” she protested, insulted.

“Well, you thought wrong. I think that this style fits me better, black and red are definitely my colours!” he struck back. “Anyway, believe me, sweetheart, you won’t be mad at me just because of that stupid sweater!” he warned her.

< Bloody idiot, you just used a nickname! > he scolded himself, realizing that the girl was glaring at him.

“What do you mean?” she questioned him.

“I think that you are just wasting your time with me. I’m only a vampire; you can do so much better. You need a human guy with whom you can do all the things you desire,” he went on.

Cordelia’s eyes went wide as she recalled the private speech she’d had with Harmony.

“You heard us talking, didn’t you?” she asked him, but he looked at her confused, not understanding what she was talking about.

“Xander, for example, could be the right guy for you,” he suggested.

“What? Since when do you choose with whom I should be with?” she got angry. “Plus, why Xander of all the male human kind? Don’t you remember what he put me through, after that day at the warehouse? When I found him and Willow kissing...” she explained.

< So Red and the Whelp found a nice way to spend the time together when I kidnapped them. Ah, those were the golden days. Well, not so golden, after all I was desperate due to Dru back on those days, but at least all that stuff led me to Buffy...> he thought and then he realized that Cordelia was still waiting for his answer.

“Well, the past is in the past, people can change...” he struck back.

“Yes, and I see that you changed a lot. What happened?” she wondered and then realization hit her.

“It’s because of Buffy, isn’t it? You saw her for a couple of days and now you’re acting all weird. You still think about her, don’t you dare deny that!” she accused him.

“Yes, you’re right, I can’t deny that. I can’t love you. I tried, but truth is that Buffy is all I think about, she is in my mind, in my heart, in my blood, I’m drowning in her, I really do...” he answered, so overtaken by the moment that he forgot the role he was playing.

“And you even dare to tell me that way! Gee, I thought that Angelus was the bastard but now I realize that you are even worse than him! I don’t wanna hear from you anymore! I’m gonna quit working here, I can’t even stand to see you!” she snapped, ready to leave, but Spike stopped her, grabbing her arm.

“Don’t even dare to touch me!” she yelled at him.

“Cordy, I just wanted to tell you that you don’t have to quit working here, it wouldn’t be fair, not after all you’ve done for this agency. Plus, I’m the one who’s gotta leave for a while, a very long while. After all, I know you and the rest of the guys will do a great job even without me. Plus, I already asked Xander to come here to replace me, believe me, he will be very helpful, he’s not the Whelp you used to know anymore, I can swear that!” he explained, letting her go.

“Fine. I don’t give a damn about who the hell will take your place, I just want you to disappear!” she hissed.

“I will in a heartbeat, bird...”

< Bloody hell! So, confess, dude, you have a worrying death wish. Didn’t you piss her off enough already? > Spike thought, biting his tongue to punish himself, without using his fangs, but it was very painful anyway.

Cordelia was staring at him with fire in her eyes.

“Just thought I should tell you in person about this and about Xander. I’m sorry, really sorry, if things between us didn’t work, but I’m not the right one for you. I wish you to can find the happiness that you can’t have with me...” he said, approaching the exit, before crossing the threshold and closing the door just a second before Cordelia threw the phone from her desk against the door.

Once she was alone, the brunette girl was free to put her pride aside and allow herself to cry good and proper.

“Oh my, Cordy, what happened? Where’s Angel now?” Wesley came to her, a few minutes after, hugging her to comfort her as the good friend he was to her.

“I don’t know and to be honest I don’t even care. He can go straight to Hell!” she snapped, as Wesley looked at her puzzled. “Anyway, he said that he’ll send here a substitute, and it’s someone we already know...” she added immediately after, a little bit calmer.

TBC

I hope you’ll like it, I promise it will be funnier later.. just be patient ;)