Maryperk, Elisabeth Anne Summers, Sharon, Shelly, thank you all so very much!!! ;)



Little Sis’ Big Mission (II)

Dawn followed all of Spike’s directions, so she managed to find the graveyard and the crypt where Xander had found shelter easily.

She got in silently and went downstairs, where she saw him from afar as he slept on the sarcophagus.

Dawn got closer to him, bit by bit.

“BOO! Guess who is here?” she exclaimed out loud.

Xander jolted awake and jumped from the sarcophagus, growling and unconsciously shifting into his game face, ready to defend himself.

Dawn gave out the mother of all the screams, cowering in a corner.

“Oh, Dawn, it’s you... sorry “ Xander murmured, not fully awake yet. “It’s just that I didn’t expect that...” he justified.

“You didn’t expect that? C’mon, as if it was the first time that I’ve sneak into your crypt. Ok, now you got a new one, but it’s the same!” she said, recovering from the previous big scare.

“So, it’s not the first time,” Xander repeated, puzzled.

“Hello? I’ve been doing this stuff for over a year now. You know, your former crypt was cosier, there’s a lot of work to do here, I guess you’ll need my help!” she commented.

“You know, I just moved here a few days ago, so there hasn’t been much time for furniture and wall papers, but I’ll deal with that stuff soon. First, I need a bed, that sarcophagus is killing my poor back... ouch!” Xander complained as he got closer to her, without understanding why she was backing off.

“Well, Spike, it’s nothing personal, really... but... can you please shake it off? It makes me kind of nervous,” the girl whimpered.

As soon as he touched his face, Xander finally figured out what the problem was.

“Uh, sorry, I hadn’t even realized that,” he muttered, closing his eyes for a bunch of seconds.
“Is it gone?” he asked her, but Dawn shook her head negatively.

Xander didn’t know what to do. Just like the first time at the beach, his game-face appeared and disappeared on its own when the hunger urged him, after all no one and nothing would prevent him from eating... not even an un-life!

But now it wasn’t a matter of hunger, he had been caught off guard and no one had bothered to explain to him how to control his demon. He had to handle it on his own.

“C’mon, make it go away!” Dawn incited him.

“Can you help me do that?” he asked her.

“What? You are kidding, it seems that you have been a vampire just for a day, instead than more than a century!” Dawn made fun of him.

“Well, actually, it’s just been for a week,” Xander pointed out, but Dawn looked at him puzzled. “Just kidding, of course. You know what? This is just a game...” he justified.


“A game?” Dawn made her best perplexed face.

“Yeah, a game. Just pretend to be a vampire. You have your game face on, out of the blue. What would you do to make it go away?” he wondered.

“Uhmm... I don’t know, it’s not something that you command by snapping your fingers, is it?” she asked, but he shook his head negatively. “Uhmm... is there any secret word to say?” she wondered.

“No, I wish it was so easy!” he answered, rolling his amber eyes.

“Ok. Well, I guess that I would close my eyes, concentrating for a while and wishing that it was gone with all my being...” she said.

He followed her advice and it worked.

“Well, well, I’m a potential vampiress and I didn’t even know that!” Dawn chuckled, but then she became very serious. “Don’t you want to know why I am here?” she asked him.

“Didn’t you just say that you always visit me in my crypt?” he made her notice.

“Yes, I did, but this time it’s different. Buffy confessed your little secret to me,” she informed him.

“Really?”

“Yeah. She told me everything.”

“So, what exactly did she tell you?” Xander questioned her, eager to know more.

“What? Why should I tell you something that you know so much better than me?” Dawn struck back.

“Yeah, why should you do that?” he rolled his now brown eyes.

“Anyway, I know what happened. Angel must have said something to you and he fooled you on the first try...” Dawn commented with a smirk.

“Enough with this story! I don’t know why you all think that it’s Angel’s fault. Truth is that I figured out everything on my own. I thought I was in love with Buffy, but I am not,” he explained, trying to seem like Spike as much as he could.

Dawn’s face darkened immediately after.

“Does this mean that now... you hate her again?” she got worried.

“No, of course I don’t. I care about her and I want her to be happy, but she can’t be happy with me, now I know,” he justified.

“But she is so heart broken... does that mean anything to you?” Dawn protested.

“Of course, it means that someone will make things better for her soon, very soon, but this someone is not me!” he struck back. “Anyway, whatever happened between Buffy and me, it has nothing to do with our friendship. Because we are still friends. Right?” he asked her, wavering.

She thought about that for a while and then she finally spoke.

“I know that you did nothing directly against me and you have no intentions of hurting me or anything... but… To be honest... I don’t know. I need some time. After all, you let me down, Spike, a lot!” she said, a little bit bitterly, before leaving.

Once he was alone, Xander rolled his eyes again, sitting on the sarcophagus and putting his hands in his hair.

“To regain Dawn’s friendship. Here’s another issue on my ‘Thing to do’ list!”

TBC

Next chapter is about Angel and his ‘new condition’, you don’t wanna miss it, do you? ;)

I hope you'lls till like it.

I'll try to update 'Before, now, forever ' asap, too ;)