sorry for this huge late, but finally I'm back with this one, too ;)

Shelly, Elisabeth Anne Summers, StrawberryJam (yayy! A new reader!!) , Sharon, THANK YOU ALL SO vERY VERY MUCH!!!


Chapter XIV: Private Conversations

“Good morning. So, did you sleep well even if you just went to bed a few hours ago?” Buffy greeted, smiling at her sister when she saw her coming down the stairs, still rubbing the sleep off of her eyes.

That was enough to make her sister wake up fully.

“No way, my dear, don’t even try to act as if nothing happened!” she admonished Buffy, pointing her index at her.

“What?”

“Angel. And you. Yesterday. Don’t think I didn’t hear you,” Dawn said.

“Well, yes, you know... he was so kind by taking you to the concert that I thought that it was nice to invite him to chat a little bit,” her sister justified.

“And drink some hot chocolate, too,” Dawn observed, seeing the two incriminating cups on the kitchen sink. “Wait a minute. Hot chocolate? Angel?”

“That’s the same thing I said, too. He keeps saying that he’s changed a lot, and that seems to be the proof,” the blonde explained. “Anyway, it was nothing. I invite lots of people here, so…” She shrugged.

“So, did you have a good time?” the teenager asked curious.

“Well, yes, I can’t complain, but I already told you that it’s just...” Buffy began replying, but then she noticed the big grin that Dawn couldn’t manage to hide anymore. “Hey, am I wrong or are you happy about that?”


“Of course, I am happy!” the other exulted.

“Excuse me, weren’t you Miss Down-with-Angel-cause-Spike-is-the-only-one-who-rules?” Buffy observed.

“Well, this is a free country, so I’m free to change my mind, am I not? What can I say? I saw Angel in a different light yesterday. I guess all that time we spent together opened my eyes. He’s very pleasant and... I know that you’ll hardly believe me, but... he’s fun, too!” she explained.

“You know what? I believe you. He made me smile, too. And do you know what’s really incredible? I spent the whole night talking about Spike and...”

“What? You were with Angel and you dared to talk about Spike? That’s so cruel, poor Angel!” Dawn cut her off, glaring at her.

“First, I didn’t do it on purpose, and second, that’s the point. He wasn’t upset at all, quite the contrary, he almost seemed to be * happy * about it! And to think that I expected the mother of the jealousy scenes from him!” Buffy confessed.

“Really? Gee, he’s changed for real. Well, I like this new Angel so much better, what about you?” the teenager questioned her.

“I say that it’s very late and you’ll end up missing the bus!” Buffy tried to escape from answering that question.

“Maybe... or maybe not. What a coincidence. This is your free day at the Double Meat, isn’t it? So, my dear, you can drive your beloved little sister to school. I know that you are an apocalypse on four wheels, but I’m gonna take the risk. Plus, that allows us to keep with the ‘Angel topic’,” Dawn suggested and Buffy was forced to please her.

And during the short drive, the main subject of their conversation was still the same.

“Anyway, Dawn I’m glad that you like Angel a little more now, but you can’t be rooting for me and him to go back together. It’s not so easy, or did you forgot the little problem with his not so stable soul,” Buffy made her notice as she parked near the school.

“Yes, but he keeps saying that he’s changed, maybe something about his soul has changed, too. Plus, I guess that his gang can help somehow. Anyway, the question is... how do you feel about him, Buffy?” she asked her.

“You can’t ask me that. You know... first there was Spike, and then everything happened so fast, and now I don’t know.”

“Do you still feel something for Angel?” Dawn interrogated her, but then she heard the bell of her school ring. “Oh my, it’s so late, I gotta go, otherwise my teacher will punish me! Anyway, this conversation is not over, my dear sister!” Dawn left, rushing towards the entrance.


“Well, well, saved by the bell... for real!” Buffy sighed with relief, setting the car in motion, glad for not facing her sister’s third degree anymore.

Mostly because right then even the blonde wasn’t able to give herself an answer about her feelings.

********************************************* (in the meantime)

Xander was sleeping serenely in his crypt, lying on the bed that he had finally bought, but his supernatural senses were still working and they heard a scream from afar.

In fact, the fledgling vampire jolted awake and after a few seconds he saw something, or rather someone wrapped in a blanket that was on fire.

“Bloody hell, your crypt is too far away from mine, and this sodding piece of fabric is not enough, I need a longer one!” Spike grumbled, throwing the useless blanket on the ground.

“Spike! What are you doing here in such an unhealthy time of the day?” the brunette exclaimed, as they both stared at the blanket that was burning slowly.

“I had trouble trying to sleep, due to the soul, counting bloody sheep didn’t help, so I decided that if I can’t sleep, why should I let you do that?” he struck back. “Plus, I couldn’t wait to let you know that I succeed!” Spike bragged.

“What? Do you mean that you already re-conquered Buffy and she recognized you as who you really are? That’s not right, I wanted to win!” the brunette grumbled.

“No, not Buffy. Not yet, at least. I meant the Nibblet. I’ve re-conquered Dawn’s friendship and it took a lot!” Spike clarified, remembering what he had been through. “Anyway, you want to win? What is it now, a challenge? Well, challenge or not, I’m gonna win, that’s for sure!” he sneered, boosting with self confidence.


“Uff, I want to regain Dawn’s friendship, too, but now, thanks to you, she just hates me!” Xander grumbled.

“Bullshit! I’m sure that she didn’t mean it and you’ll find a way to be her friend again, you just have to do something special for her, something that shows her that you still care,” Spike advised him.

“Well, I could buy something nice for her,” the brunette thought out loud.

“Yeah, that’s a good start!” the blond agreed.

“Maybe a magic book. There are some at Anya’s shop. Of course, nothing serious, just something for beginners, what do you think?” Xander suggested, but Spike shook his head in total disagreement.

“No, that would be wrong. You don’t know, but the Nibblet knows how to practice magic pretty well, a beginners’ book would be an insult to her. I mean, she almost res—”Spike explained, but he immediately stopped himself, before talking too much, remembering that the spell that Dawn had almost totally performed in order to bring her mother to life again, was and must remain their ‘little’ secret.

“Well, nothing. Anyway, she knows magic, a lot, I just know that. End of the speech. You gotta think of something else, but I’m sure you’ll get the right idea eventually!” he assured him.

“So, unless you want to explode in a pile of dust, you’re stuck here until sunset!” Xander commented.

“Yes, and I guess that now you understand why I keep a television in my crypt. Bloody hell, what can we do until then? I’m already getting bored!” Spike grumbled, stealing Xander’s spot on his bed.

“I’ll try to get one as soon as possible. Anyway... on second thought, there’s something that we can do together,” Xander suggested, but Spike jumped off the bed and looked at him with great diffidence, keeping his distance.

“Hey, should I start getting worried?” he asked him, jumping to the worse conclusion ever.

“What? Eeeww! No, not *that*! I guess you already had your fun with Angel, after all!” the brunette struck back.

“So, what? Are you jealous? Whatever, look, I prefer the sunlight to you!” the blond clarified.

“Grand Sire or not, shut the hell up! It’s a totally different matter. Don’t you remember? You said that you would train me, so why don’t we start now? You know, I’d like to impress Anya!” Xander clarified, placing himself at the centre of the crypt.

His interlocutor sighed in relief, going towards him.

“Okay, so it’s that. After all, I’ve never said no to a fight!” he sneered. “Sure, with my Slayer it would be totally different, but this is better than nothing. So, get ready!” he warned him, taking off his beloved leather coat and his shirt, getting ready to start what would be a long training.

TBC

I hope you’ll still like it.

And if you like Xander/Dawn’s friendship, don’t miss next part ;)