Hello, sorry for this huge, huge, huge late, but RL is taking me so busy lately… I’m sorry.
Anyway, I promise that I’m gonna complete every fics of mine, so, no matter if I’ll take ages.. I’ll do! ;)

Elizabeth Anne Summers, Laura Liz, azzwhole (yayyy, a new reader!!! * happy dance * ) , Sharon, THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH and thanks everyone who is just reading that, too!

And finally here’s the new chapter:

Chapter XVI: S.O.S.

LOS ANGELES

Cordelia found hard to believe how much Xander—or rather the one she thought was Xander— had changed. In just a few days everyone had recognized him as their new leader, without the slightest objection.

For Angel it wasn’t that difficult to understand, after all, he’d always kept the command in every situation; he solved every case with majesty. He knew how to take advantage of everyone’s role, maybe because the team existed only thanks to him, but the others couldn’t even begin to imagine that.

Anyway, Harmony took care of his business agenda and dealt with his customers; Cordelia helped her and didn’t hesitate to share with him the visions she had. He always managed to extract from Lorne all the information he needed about the demons that attended his pub. He also helped Wesley with his research and he was pretty useful to Gunn and his friends during patrols.

But one night he had to pay a pretty big price after one of those patrols.

He’d been hurt during patrol, so, Gunn and Wesley had helped walk back. A deep wound crossed his chest, and not only had it made him weak, but it had also spoiled his sweater, but luckily for him, it wasn’t the one Cordy had bought to him. He never wore that one in such dangerous occasions. Cordelia was the first one that noticed him when they got into the agency.

“Oh, my God, Xander! What happened?” the gorgeous brunette girl said, concern dripping in her voice, as she got close to him.

Harmony got closer, too, but her intentions were very different from Cordy’s. “Can I taste him?” she wondered, already savouring the moment.

“No!” everyone chorused, and Angel was the main leader of it.

“Someone call the ambulance, we gotta take him to the hospital!” Cordelia exclaimed, very agitated.

“It’s useless, we already tried, but he keeps saying that he doesn’t need anything,” Gunn informed her.

“Right. There’s no need. It will heal in a heartbeat,” Angel protested weakly, trying to stand up on his own, but it was impossible.

“In your dreams! This is a serious wound and it’s not like you are a vampire!” Cordelia pressed.

< Well, I was... > he thought, missing his healing powers.

“Believe me, Cordy, I know my body and I can guarantee that this wound is not gonna kill me. Really, all I need is some cleaning, a bandage and I’ll be fine!” Angel assured.

“See? I told you that we tried, but he’s such a stubborn guy, I didn’t remember him being this way,” Wes commented, as he and Gunn laid him on the sofa.

“Okay, fine. I’ll take care of him, you can go,” Cordelia informed them, ready to go pick the first aid kit, but then she noticed that Harm was staring at Angel as if she had been on a diet and he was a chocolate cake.

“Harm, go with them!” she summoned her.

Snorting, the vampiress obeyed, shutting the door behind her back.

Cordelia went to take what she needed and came back.

With extreme softness and care, she took his sweater off, or at least what was left of it, and then she began cleaning his wound with a wet sponge, her eyes following the chiselled lines of his torso as she did.

“Well, do you see something you like?” he asked her slyly.

“Uh!” she jolted, blushing and cursing herself for not being more discrete. “Okay, I have to say. You have a really firm and muscular body and it’s always a joy to see it, I can’t deny that. After all, you were such a good show when you joined the swimming team,” she confessed.

“Was Xan... I mean, I was in the swimming team?”

“Oh, c’mon, don’t you remember? That crazy coach and his wild experiments? I believed that you were turning into a mutant fish, too!” she explained.

“Uh, sure, now I remember. And their blood tasted horrible!” Angel commented at the memory, although back to those days he was Angelus.

Cordelia didn’t understand what he was saying, but she preferred to ignore that. “So, do you want to tell me what happened tonight?”

“You know, we went some place, fought some ugly demons, but something went wrong. Grrr, with my previous senses it was easier—” He interrupted his tirade as he noticed what he’d let escape from his mouth.

“With your what?”

“Never mind. I meant to say that before I dealt with that much better!”

“Do you mean when you were at Sunnydale?” she asked puzzled.

“Of course, I mean when I was at Sunnydale...” he answered, rolling his eyes, and then he jolted when he heard the ambulance’s sirens come closer and closer. “You called the ambulance! But I had told you not to,” he protested.

“Well, what can I say? I’m more stubborn than you. Anyway, that’s only for your own good!” the brunette girl responded, as two paramedics entered the room and placed him on a gurney.

< It’s for your own good! Yeah, as if she knew what the best for me is. That’s so annoying! Oops, now I realize what my mistake with Buffy was, but I won’t do the same with Cordy! > Angel thought, astonished when he saw her go into the ambulance with him.

“Don’t flatter yourself. It’s just that all the others are busy with their stuff and I’m the only one who can take a break!” Cordelia justified as if she had read his mind.

--------------------------------------------

“So, Doctor, do you think that he’ll get through the night?” Cordelia wondered, as apprehensive as never before.

“C’mon, miss, don’t be so dramatic!” the doctor answered.

“She’s an actress, being dramatic is her second nature!” Angel explained.

“Yes. By the way, think about it, have you seen me before in a advertising, a fashion magazine or in a theatre?” Cordelia asked with her best smile and the doctor stared at her intently.

“Excuse me, weren’t we talking about me?” Angel protested, annoyed by the attention that the doctor, who was even young and very good looking, was giving to his Cordelia.

“Yeah, of course. Anyway, you’ll get through the night, this is not a mortal wound, but this will ease the pain!” the doctor assured, giving him a pain pill as the nurse put him on a restoring drip.

“See? Doc, believe me, I told her it wasn’t necessary, but...” Angel grumbled, looking at Cordelia.

“Well, a wound like that should never be underestimated, so I think you should thank your dear caring friend...” the doctor responded, smiling at her, and that pissed Angel off even more.

“I’m Cordelia!” she winked at him.

“What a beautiful name, Cordelia,” the doctor smiled at her, seductively.

Angel wished that just for ten minutes he could not only to be a vampire again, but a soulless one at that, because Angelus wouldn’t have hesitated to take this potential rival and turn him into canned meat without any remorse!

Right now all he could do was confine himself to throw an icy look at the doctor, to send a clear message that his receiver seemed to understand.

So much so, in fact, that he returned his attention to him. After all he was the patient.

“So, boy, how did you get this wound? Are you addicted to riots or something?” the doctor questioned him.

Angel would have punched him restlessly just for calling him ‘boy’, but the pain pill had begun to do its job and a great calm was overwhelming him.

“Well, back to my old days, I always had a riot in every bar I got in, you know... being drunk and everything,” the former vampire admitted, remembering his previous human life.

“So, I don’t see you for a few years and the clumsy fearful school guy becomes a rude man, always looking for a riot in a bar? You sure came a long way, dude!” Cordelia exclaimed, astonished.

“Anyway, he’ll spend the night here and tomorrow he’ll be free to go. Now he needs some rest. You can stay with him if you want,” the doctor informed her, hoping that she refused and followed him, but things went differently than he hoped since Cordy decided to stay with Xander.

“So, big riot guy, do you feel any better?” Cordelia smiled at him.

“Thank you... for caring...” he smiled, squeezing her hand very weakly.

“Well, you know, I’m still angry with you, but that doesn’t mean I wish you dead. I crossed that phase a long time ago,” she justified, enjoying his hold.

Angel stared at the drip.

“And to think that *I* used to pierce people’s skin... and not in order to inject some liquid in their veins... quite the contrary! Anyway, ouch, my touch was at least ten times gentler... ouch, no doubt about that!” he grimaced.

Cordelia looked at him puzzled, but then she figured out what was happening, rolling her eyes.

“Alright, the doctor said that the pain pill could have some collateral effects, and here it is, you’re delirious now!”

TBC

I hope you’ll still like it