Shelly, MaryPerk, Sharon, THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH, i'M GLAD YOU LIKE IT SO FAR!!!! ;)


Chapter VII : Walk In My Shoes

“So, now what can we do?” Xander changed subject.

“Well, since we switched our roles, I guess that the only thing left to do is to take our new roles in stride...” Angel started suggesting, but Spike cut him off.

“What?! Listen, I don’t want to make moon eyes to your secretary and be a bloody detective in your bloody agency!” the blond snapped.

“You’d better not even dare to make moon eyes to * my * Cordy!” Angel snapped. “That’s not what I meant. Do you think that I want to stay with a woman I don’t even know and work for a construction company when I don’t even know how to build a house out of cards?” he went on.

“No way, because she happens to be *my * woman and that happens to be my job!” Xander pointed out with a growl. “And what am I would supposed to be doing? Stalk Buffy and hang around pretending that I’m still the Big Bad?” the brunette vampire added.

“First of all, Buffy is * mine *. And second, I don’t bloody pretend, I’m still the Big Bad for real, even if I got my soul back, even if I want to help people, even if I’m seeking redemption and forgiveness for all the horrible things I did... although I don’t deserve happiness and I can’t be forgiven, even if...” Spike explained, starting to grieve for his past misgivings.

“Oh, yes, that’s how every Big Bad talks!” Xander made fun of him and Spike got pissed off, which in turn made him snap out of his brooding.

“Thank you, Whelp, you’ve always known how to challenge my demon!” he sneered.

“It’s my duty, Grand Sire!” the younger vampire smiled, and both of them felt a strange feeling at the sound of that word.

“Anyway, I suggest we accept our new roles, but with some changes...” Angel resumed talking.

“Such as?” Spike wondered.

“First of all, I’ll go back to LA and since I’ve already been there as Xander, you’ll tell my gang that I’m there because you chose me as your new collaborator, and also gave me the leadership while you are here at Sunnydale due to an important, secret and very long mission...” Angel concluded.

“That’s brilliant; it seems that your human brain works much better than your vampire one!” Spike commented with a smirk.

“I planned things perfectly even when I was a vampire!” the other struck back, a little bit insulted.

“If you did, the world would’ve been over for years now! Let me remind you of one of your dear friends called * Acathla *! Well, it wasn’t your fault, after all you had my Slayer and especially * me * against you!” the blond sneered.

“First, that was Angelus, it’s different, and second... shut up!” the other snapped.

“Ok, anyway, how would you deal with the agency stuff now that you are human?” Spike wondered, getting concerned, and that seemed to please Angel.

“Well, Boy, now I’m human, that’s true, but my body is strong enough to face a fight and I’ve been practicing for more than two centuries, so that’s given me a lot of experience and that can be a great help,” he explained.

“Yes, but what about me? Who will do my job? If * Xander * goes to L.A.?” Xander wondered.

“You’ll do your job!” Angel answered.

“How?”

“Listen, you’re the foreman there, aren’t you?” Angel wondered.

“Yes, I am, I mean, I was, I mean... now you are... I think that my head is going to explode!” Xander growled, holding his forehead with his hands.

“Lucky you, mine already did!” Spike rolled his eyes, massaging his temples.

“That’s right, and do you know what a foreman does? He takes decisions. And my decision would be that my dear old friend * Spike *, who by the way is an expert in construction and can be my perfect substitute, could be left in charge of your job, but due to an odd allergy to the sun he can only work after sunset. Maybe you could divide your workers in two teams and make them work at night with alternate schedules... what do you think?” Angel raised his eyebrow.

“I think that you are a genius!” Xander clapped his hands.

“So, I’ll pretend to investigate and stay here to help Buffy... and maybe train you a little bit,” Spike suggested, turning to Xander.

“Would you do that? Really? Why?” Xander asked him astonished.

“Well, since you became me... I don’t want people to think that Spike is a clumsy fledgling. I’m gonna make you fight in an acceptable way!” the blond struck back.

“It’s kinda late now, I guess I’ll go back to my flat!” Angel told them.

“Yes, and since sunrise is near and I’m not needed here anymore, I ‘m gonna go look for another crypt... unless that was just something you said as a joke,” Xander commented, turning to Spike, but the bleached vampire’s icy look gave Xander the answer. “No, it wasn’t...” the brunette vampire grumbled, rolling his eyes and approaching the exit with Angel.

“Ok, guys, we’ll meet here tomorrow, at sunset. You know, there’s still something that we have to do...” Spike warned them.

“Yes, and it will be the hardest thing...” Angel added.

“You’re right, guys...” Xander nodded. “What are we talking about, anyway?” he wondered five seconds later, looking at them puzzled.

“Hello? We have three girlfriends we don’t want... well, Buffy isn’t technically my girlfriend, but...”

“But you two have slept together and more than once, we know... well... I do. Oops!” Xander exclaimed, closing his mouth with his hand and turning to Angel. And then he narrowed his eyes. “Hey, wait, why aren’t you freaking out?” he asked him.

“Because I already knew it, I smelled her on him that night at the beach, right before our wish, you know...” Angel explained.

“And * you * are okay with it?” Xander and Spike asked him in unison, both of them astonished.

“All I know is that since I left Sunnydale, Buffy has been with a perverted playboy who used her as his personal toy and an unbearable soldier with too many ambitions. And that they both broke her heart... just like I did. At least, it seems that Spike doesn’t hurt her... so yeah, I’m okay with it!” Angel explained quickly.

“Yes, I don’t hurt her, but she hurts me, and I don’t mean just physically!” Spike clarified. “Anyway, tomorrow we’ll plan the perfect way to dump them in order to pick the right girl for each of us...” he went on.

“Wait. Why don’t we simply tell them the truth?” Xander suggested.

“I think they wouldn’t believe us, no one would. I guess they’ll need some time...” Angel replied.

“Yes, plus it’s gonna be a real challenge: to conquer them again. So, if they recognize us even with our new roles on their own, without any of us telling them anything... well, that will be a proof of real love...” Spike made him notice. “No matter what, even if she has never told me... in the end I know that Buffy loves me... or at least that she feels for me something that is very close to love,” he added.

TBC

Next very long chapter’s title is ‘Multiple Break-Up’, I guess you all have already figured out what it’s going to be about ;)

I hope you'll still like it...