Thank you, so so so much, Mari ( I adore you and you know that, my dear!!) , Elizabeth Anne Summers and Maryperk!
I’m so glad you like it so far! ;)

Sorry but there’s almost nothing spuffy in this chapter, but it’s extremely necessary, so be patient..


Well, previously I messed up with Spike and Buffy. Do you really think that I can let the other two main couples be happy? Naaah… ;-P


Chapter Two: That Missing Something

******************************** (In the meantime)

LOS ANGELES

Angel was happy, but not in a dangerous way.
He was just glad about how things were going.

The investigations’ agency was doing great, he generally managed to solve out most of the cases with his collaborators’ help. Plus, most of their clients paid very well for their services, mostly due to Cordelia’s pressure.

Speaking of Cordelia, they were finally together, although it was fairly recent, they’d just began dating a few months ago.

He had officially declared his love for her, even if he had used a lot of pauses and roundabouts to do it. And he had pleasurably found out that the feeling was mutual.

They had never gone further than kisses and some caresses... due to his ‘little’ problem with perfect happiness. But Wesley was working on that ritual. It would take some months, or maybe longer, but the Englishman had the certainty that he would manage to take off that annoying clause to make his soul permanent.

He heard some laughter coming from Cordelia’s room and he was not surprised when he saw her with Harmony. After all, the two girls had been best friends since High School and some things didn’t change ... not even if one of them now had become a vampiress.

Angel didn’t disturb them, but he stood in the corridor listening to them, because he was victim of a demon called curiosity.

“So, now you’re the Boss’ girl, that’s what I call to make a bid for the power!” Harmony chuckled as they both painted their toes.

“It’s not about power, Harm, it’s about love. I really love Angel, because to him I’m not just the typical beautiful doll. He respects me, he believes in my capacity...”

“And he’s hot!” her friend added with a knowing smile.

“Hell yeah, he’s hot! Vampire or not, he’s definitely the most gorgeous guy I have ever dated. Plus, gee, wanna talk about his yummy butt that seems to scream ‘Bite me!’?” the brunette admitted and they both ended up giggling.

If his dead body had allowed him, Angel would have blushed at that.

“Anyway, sometimes I’m not sure about that. I mean, I love him very much, but I don’t think it’s enough to deal with everything...” Cordelia added, becoming thoughtful.

“What do you mean?” the blonde asked.

“First, that’s the never aging problem. Gee, I can’t stand the idea that one terrible day I’ll look older than him!” she explained, disgusted just by the thought. “And then, I would like to do some normal stuff with him, such as walking in the sunlight, going out for a dinner where * both of us * eat, hearing his heartbeat, getting married in a consecrated Church... having children one fine day...”

If his dead body would have allowed him, Angel would have had a heart attack.

< Gee, from a simple walk... to a family! This girl is in such a rush...> he thought, but then the harsh realization hit him. < I can’t give her any of the things she wants. She deserves so much better, I really don’t deserve her, I’m not worthy of her... >

And that wasn’t all. There was more and it got even worse.

“Plus, you know, sometimes I’m afraid that he still thinks about Buffy and that we’ll live with her ghost between us forever... I don’t think I’d be able to stand that,” she added.

“Oh, don’t worry, that’s never gonna happen!” Harmony comforted her and Cordelia smiled at her friend. “Buffy has already returned from death, so she can’t be a ghost!” she added immediately after.

“Gee, Harm, that was just a metaphor! I just don’t want him to think of her whenever he is with me...” Cordelia clarified, shaking her head in resignation.

< No, please, honey, not Buffy. I love her, sure, but just as a good friend, things have changed and now I don’t care about her anymore, not in that way at least. If she arrived here just now and she asked me to stay with her, I would choose you over her without any doubt, why can’t you see that? I don’t want you to spend your life with someone you don’t trust and who can’t even give you everything you desire... > he thought grieving, as he went towards the exit.

That night there would be no investigations, no fights, no disguises, nothing at all. Angel just needed to be alone with his thoughts, so he got in his car and left.

********************************** (In the meantime)

SUNNYDALE

Xander and Anya had spent a romantic night at the Bronze, mostly because their friends weren’t there, so they had been free to be very effusive with each other.

Well, not that their friends being there would’ve made any difference for Anya, anyway.

They were just a few blocks away from their house, but it was very late at night, so all the demons and vampires of Sunnydale were around.

In fact, a couple of vampires attacked them.

“I’m way too young to die! After all, I’ve been living just for a thousand years, it’s not enough!” Anya complained as Xander tried to face them, with disappointing results.

After all, he was just a human being, and he definitely wasn’t a fighter! And sadly, Anya had lost all her demonic powers.


Xander managed to smash one vampire to the ground, but the other one had taken advantage of that to hurl towards Anya, but he became dust before he had the chance to sink his fangs into her neck.

Yeah, because, as she returned home from Spike’s crypt, after her angsty moment, Buffy had seen them from afar, rushing and getting there just in time and throwing a stake form afar, she dusted her goal on the first try.

The second vampire, though, had the honour to fight against her... for almost twenty seconds before her stake got embedded in his heart, making him explode in a pile of dust.

“Well, I guess I saved the moment!” she smiled, cleaning the dust from her jacket.

It was then when Anya focused on her.

“Hey, Buffy, are you okay? Your eyes are all red…” she noticed in concern.

“Uh! Bad dust of bad vamps hurting my poor eyes. See? They can be evil even after I’ve killed them!” Buffy justified, rubbing her eyes to make her friends believe that it was due to the dust.

Xander and Anya accepted her explanation; after all they would’ve never imagined that her eyes were red and puffy because Buffy had cried a lot. That was just impossible for them, because she was Buffy, the brave and strong Slayer who never got upset, who never had a moment of weakness.

“Okay, it seems that coast is clear now, enjoy your walk home. See you, guys!” the blonde waved them goodbye, walking back to her own home, as she thought over how Dawn would react as soon as she informed her that Spike had left town, maybe forever.

The walk home of the couple wasn’t serene at all, though, and this time it wasn’t the vampires’ fault.

“You didn’t protect me!” Anya accused him.

“I tried to, but I’m just human, try to understand...” Xander justified.

“Yes, you are a useless human being who can’t take care of his girlfriend. I’d never thought that one day I would say that, but... sex is not the only thing that’s needed to make a relationship work!” she snapped.

“Yeah, you’re right, there’s also respect, and that’s not what you’re showing me now. C’mon, you’re blaming this on me... because I’m human!” he snapped.

“Yes. I’d rather have someone who can keep me safe and sound, but I don’t have a boyfriend like that, do I? Whatever. Okay, now why don’t we have some good sex and forget all the bad stuff, hmm?” she suggested to him nonchalantly, as if nothing had happened.

He looked at her seriously, shaking his head negatively.

“No, Anya, it doesn’t work like that. No sex, no fixing things, not tonight. You know what? I won’t even sleep with you, I’ll take the couch. That will help us both to reflect about what happened...” he decided and they did that, although Anya didn’t agree.

And she was even more disappointed when, the morning after, she didn’t find him home at her awakening.

She already knew that he hadn’t gone away due to his job.

TBC

I know it’s still sad, maybe even than before, but trust me, trust me, trust me! ;)

I hope you’ll still like it, please, tell me what you think so far, whatever it is, even criticism can help.. but not flaming..
Thanks anyway