Author's Chapter Notes:
more distancing of Spike and Dru with some Spike and Joyce bonding.......
Dru felt like screaming as she plastered a smile on her face. Her stupid stepmother had yet again interfered in her life. It was getting tiresome and she couldn't wait for everything to blow up in the woman's face. It eased her anger to picture the day her father would kick the woman out, along with her daughter.

She watched as Spike grilled the chicken, conversing with that woman like they were old friends. The fact he was more at ease with that witch made her again second-guess her decision for bringing him here this weekend. He was supposed to be bonding with her and her father, not Joyce.

"Dru, honey, can you run to the store for me? I can't believe I forgot I was out of butter for the corn on the cob." Joyce asked, oblivious to how much her stepdaughter hated her right now. "I tried calling your father, but he's not answering his phone."

"Sure, will be right back." Dru answered, feeling proud at how sincere she sounded, and doing the little errand only to make her daddy happy.

Spike watched as Dru made a hasty exit. He'd seen the flash of anger in her eyes that went unnoticed by Mrs. Summers, before she conjured up a smile. The more he watched Drusilla in this element she called home; he could see he didn't know her like he thought he did. The more he observed her around Joyce the more he noticed how fake she seemed to act around the woman. He started to question if he even liked her and wondered if he'd mistaken lust for love? Suddenly he was feeling confused about all of it.

Joyce would notice the questioning looks Spike would direct at Dru when he thought no one was looking. She couldn't help but wonder what he was thinking. It had to be something important by the intense and thoughtful look that came over his features.

"I'm sorry I ruined yours and Dru's plans." Joyce offered her apology.

"Nothing you need to apologize for, Joyce." Spike reassured her. "We did come here to spend time with the family."

"I know, but I remember what it was like to be young and in love." She shared, watching his reaction at the in love part.

"Don't worry, it really isn't a biggie." He found he really couldn't lie, and felt the less he said the more chance she wouldn't figure out that he wasn't sure about what he felt for Dru. But he was pretty sure it wasn't love, and at least not the 'fall in love and get married kind'.

Joyce wondered if Dru was aware of Spike's feelings. She was so sure her stepdaughter's intentions toward this young man ran deeper, and now she understood why he'd been relieved to stay home. Something about his feelings for Dru had changed, and she began to remember how he'd interacted with Buffy this morning. She'd witnessed more emotions between them bantering, than any she'd seen between him and Dru since they got here.

"Spike, do you care for Buffy?" Joyce figured she'd use the time they had alone to get some things out in to the open.

He tried to hide the fact she just surprised the hell out of as he asked, "What are you asking me?"

"Let's say I've been awakened out of my selfish little world here lately. It's made me look at things a little differently, and I can't help but think you found you care for one sister more than the other."

"Joyce, I really don't have an answer for you, not now. I'm still working out a few things myself."

"It's okay, I understand how love can just hit you when you least expect it." Joyce went on to explain.

"Just so you know, I do care about Dru. To be honest I don't know what I feel about her."

"And Buffy?" Joyce asked.

Spike took a deep breath, "I'm not really sure if it's love, but I do care about her very much. It's just, there's something about her that calls to me. It's not pity, either."

"As much as it pains me to say this, you need to follow your heart even if it hurts someone. Don't get me wrong, I do love Dru." Joyce clarified as she further assured him, "I won't keep you away from Buffy if she is who you really want to be with." Joyce said as she laid her hand on his arm, "It sounds funny coming from me, but it's like a big veil has been lifted and I'm seeing things for the first time. I want my little girl happy."

"Grief sometimes can make us do some ugly things." Spike said as he offered her an understanding smile, "We're only human, and hopefully we can learn from our mistakes."

"Your uncle told me he was coming to see Buffy tomorrow. Do you think Buffy will meet with him?"

Spike gently patted her hand with his and said, "She's already agreed to it. Maybe you can help me find a neutral place they can meet with my uncle out of town."

"There is a hotel in Montgomery, called Casa. Hank took me there one time for our anniversary." Joyce suggested. "I could write down the directions for you."

"If you would, that would be great. I can have Ethan get a room there."

"Okay, I will rack my brain on how I will keep Dru occupied." Joyce offered.

"No need for that Joyce. I think Dru and I will be having a talk before then." Spike reassured her. "I don't think Hank will like me much after this."

"He will have a hard time understanding at first … well for awhile." Joyce surmised. "But, he's not the important one here."

"You're acting like there might be something for him to be upset about."

"Spike, I saw how Buffy reacted to you, and I really think something about you calls to her too." Joyce shared. "You reached her, somehow you were able to get her to talk with your uncle."

"Where's Dru?" Hank asked, as he walked out onto the patio, with a look of suspicion on his face.

Joyce jumped and used her hand that was on Spike's arm to clutch at her chest. She turned to her husband and gasped, "Hank, honestly you scared the dickens out of me."

Hank snorted as he returned, "Maybe if you'd been paying closer attention you might've heard me."

"Spike was telling me about school. Medical school is rather rigorous and so stressful." Joyce was quick to cover. "It's a wonder anyone becomes a doctor."

Hank glared at the young man who was taking his place at the grill, "You still didn't say where Dru was?"

"She ran to the store for me." Joyce answered as she then turned to Spike and said, "Spike was kind enough to grill the chicken for us."

"I must say thank you." Hank acknowledged, as he walked closer to the grill.

"It's not a problem, I like to cook. My uncle made sure I could cook so I could take care of myself." Spike chuckled.

"I'll go in and get the pasta salad mixed up and bring out the corn." Joyce excused herself feeling the tension that she knew was getting worse because of her presence. Hank wouldn't approve of her spending too much time with Spike after what the young man had said last night. No matter how true it was.

"Since you have this covered, I'll go and see about a few things." Hank was quick to excuse himself, wanting to go upstairs and shower just in case he still smelled like his secretary. Plus, he wasn't interested in talking with the man who just waltzed in off the street trying to tell him how to take care of his family.

Spike watched as Mr. Summers walked away, feeling sorry for the man. He wondered what it would take for him to open his eyes to Buffy's plight. He just hoped with time the father and his middle child would find each other again. He couldn't even imagine if he'd lost his father's love and attention like this, instead of losing him in death. He thought seriously that death, even though permanent, was less painful than a purposeful rejection.

"What has my William so lost in his thoughts?" Dru asked as slipped behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"Spike, here's the corn." Joyce said as she came back out, seeing the tightness on Spike's face. "Where do you want it?"

"Right here would be fine." He pointed on the grill's side panel. "It's time for me to put them on anyway."

"Daddy can finish, let's you and me go for a walk." Dru suggested, her voice carrying another meaning so that neither Joyce nor Spike misunderstood the intention.

"Your dad said he had other things to do since I was manning the grill." Spike replied, feeling her stiffen behind him before she pulled away.

"He must like what you're doing then." Dru said, keeping the anger out of her voice. "I think I'll start to set the table … oh Spike remember we're meeting some of my friends at the Bronze tonight.

"Gotcha, I'll be ready."

Dru bit back her smart response. Gone were the normal endearments he would use whenever he would address her. Something wasn't right with how her William was acting. She thought she could feel him pulling away from her minute by minute. Her goal now was to find out why and fix it.

*******