Author's Chapter Notes:
I promise we are getting closer......but to what I can't say.......
Snyder stood in the kitchen making himself a sandwich while he listened to the baby monitor on the counter. He was using it to hear when his girl woke up. The sudden ringing of the phone almost made him drop the knife out of his hand. He looked at the clock and wondered who'd be calling him at this time of night. It was highly unlikely to be a teacher calling in ill since it was only Saturday night.

"Hello." He said as he recognized the Mayor’s home number on his caller ID and wondered if Wilkins was calling to go golfing tomorrow
recognizing the Mayor's home number on the caller ID.

"Milo, thank God you're home. We have a situation and I was wondering if you could give us hand."

"What's going on, Frank?"

"They think that punk Parker has kidnapped Buffy Summers and we need help in looking for them." The Mayor went on to explain, "I want to get this over and done quickly. We can't afford another scandal. You know we still haven't fully recovered from the Dawn Summers incident."

Snyder knew he couldn't refuse to assist them. It wouldn't look right for the Principal not to help locate a missing student. Deciding quickly he agreed, "Tell me where to meet you."

He thought she'd be safe locked in her room for a few hours since no one would hear her screaming, and there was no way she'd be able to get out of the secured room. He knew she was his and no one would ever think him responsible for her disappearance.

"Everyone is meeting up at the Bronze." Wilkins told him and then offered, "Do you want me to pick you up?"

"No, I'll meet you there." Snyder replied, not wanting the man coming anywhere near his home right now.

"I'm leaving now."

"Okay, I should be there in about ten minutes or so." Milo answered right before he hung up.

He quickly went to check on his sleeping beauty to make sure she was okay before he left. Barely opening the door all the way he was able to see her curled up on the bed still sleeping. Inside he was laughing and doing a bit of crowing that he finally had her safely where she belonged. He'd done it all right under their noses, and he'd go out and play the worried authority figure for now.

Buffy lay calmly under the covers, praying he wouldn't step inside the room. She'd heard the key in the door and managed to close her eyes and assume the sleeping position before he opened the door. Her heart was racing with fear that he'd come in the room as she lay there pretending to sleep. Tears of relief started forming when the door closed and she realized she was again alone and safe for now.

*******

Spike watched as a car pull up and his uncle quickly exit the vehicle. He could see the concern for him on Ethan's face. His uncle's love was the one thing in life he knew he could always depend on. It was a hard lesson he had learned but grateful for it all the same. If it wasn't for this man approaching him right now, he didn't know where he'd be in his life at this time.

"William, is there any change?" Ethan asked as he came face to face with his nephew, and placing a comforting hand on his shoulder in a show of support.

"They have a plan." William told him. "Come on and I'll take you to meet Detective Gunn. He's running things. Mr. Snyder's house is further down the street and we're using one of the officer's house right now."

"You know I will do everything in my power to help her." Ethan promised.

"I know you will." Spike assured him. "Right now I just need her to be safe and out of harms way."

"Then let's go and see about doing just that." Ethan said as he gave his nephew's shoulder a reassuring squeeze before letting him go.

Charles Gunn reached out his hand in greeting, "Dr. Rayne, I'm glad you're with us today."

"As am I, Detective Gunn." Ethan said, having recognized him from his few trips here since the tragedy with the youngest Summers girl. "Can you tell me anything that might be of use?"

"Not really sir, other than the Mayor is going to try and get the suspect out of the house willingly." Gunn explained. "I'm sure he's cocky enough to believe we don't suspect him."

"Being the authority figure he is, I'd have to agree."

"We are ready to get into position." Lt. Holtz came up to inform them.

"Holtz, this is Dr. Rayne. He's to be the first one to approach Miss Summers when we apprehend Mr. Snyder." Gunn explained.

"Glad to have you aboard, Doc." Holtz acknowledged him, and then said, "If you come with me, I will make sure you are able to get to the girl first."

"Thank you, Lt." he said and then asked, "Do you have any idea why he has taken her?"

"None." Gunn replied.

"Do you suspect he's Dawn's killer?" Ethan asked.

"Not sure, but since he’s taken Buffy I find it too much of a coincidence to not think he did." Gunn replied."

"I tend to agree." Ethan sighed, as he hoped this plan of theirs worked.

By the profile it should, since this Mr. Snyder seemed very intelligent and methodical in his thinking. It was only by happenstance that someone had witnessed and survived to tell who had in fact taken Miss Summers that brought them to his door. Ethan prayed that the fates continued to work in the young girl's favor.

"We should really get into position; the Mayor should be walking in his front door as we speak." Holtz suggested, wanting to make sure they were in place to take the man down safely. "I will tell you now he is to be treated as armed and dangerous. The first sign we get we will take him down."

"I agree, Holtz. Don't take any chances as long as the girl is safe." Gunn agreed.

"If that be the case, I will have my best man on the job." The Lt. reassured the detective in charge.

"Then I say we get a move on." Gunn ordered, "Dr. Rayne, stay close to Lt. Holtz, and I know I don't really have to say this, but be safe."

"I will do as the Lt. says." Ethan replied as he turned to his nephew and assured him. "I will take very good care of her, my boy. You have my promise."

Spike nodded as he watched his uncle leave with the SWAT commander. He knew Ethan would keep his word and if given the opportunity he'd bring Buffy out safe and sound. In his heart he also knew that she'd need someone like his uncle to help her through all of this when it was over.

"I'm heading over to the Bronze now, they will keep me informed." Gunn told the young man, "I have a good feeling here. I think we're going to find her alive."

"I hope you're right, Mr. Gunn." Spike told him as he stepped back and watched the detective run down the street to his car.

Spike felt that Joyce would do her best for her daughter; it was Hank he was worried about. Spike wondered if now that there was an actual person to lay blame for Dawn's death, Buffy's father might be able to let go of his animosity toward his middle daughter. He also knew if this broke the family apart completely, it would be something more that would lay heavy on Buffy's conscience.

He knew the Jenkins would play a big role in Buffy's recovery. He'd make sure his uncle was made fully aware of them and make sure to involve them in Buffy's therapy. He wasn't sure yet how he'd be able to swing it, but he'd make sure she was okay too. She'd know he was behind her one hundred percent.

*******

Buffy quietly moved about the room taking a better look around. Finding the window was not real, almost made her scream in frustration. Going over and finding the door was made of steel, and that she couldn't hear a damn thing happening on the other side slowly killed any hope she had of escaping.

The more she thought about his hands touching her skin intimately, the dirtier she started to feel. She was afraid to shower since she thought he'd hear the water running and she was afraid to empty her bladder, thinking he might even hear her pee. The fear was starting to consume her, and the anxiety of it all was starting to play with her mind. She wished he would just come in and do whatever it was he intended and get it over with.

Feeling dejected and downfallen she crept back toward the bed. A chill ran up her spine that had nothing to do with the temperature of the room as she slipped back under the blankets. She let her mind wander back to a happier time as she started to think about before Dawn had died. Remembering when she and her father would go to car shows, and watch scary movies together. How she and her mother would laugh at her attempts to make cookies. Thinking back to when Dawn would sneak in her room and crawl in bed with her because of the monsters inside the closet or under the bed in her room.

Buffy wondered if her parents would think of those times one day. The thought that her parents wouldn't miss her made her chest feel tight and caused the tears to fall down her cheeks. She knew Dru wouldn't care if she died, thinking the bitch would most likely dance in her blood if given the chance. She'd loved Dru unconditionally up until the day Dawn died, and she lied about being the one to leave their sister alone in the house. Until that day, she never knew that Dru never really cared for her, and most likely didn't like Dawn either.

"Please God, save me from this hell." Buffy silently prayed, as she quietly cried herself to sleep.

*******