Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to all those that have read, and a big appreciation for those that took the time to review.....my fingers thank you......
Spike heard the news over the scanner of Snyder's death. A part of him was relieved the man was dead. The other, darker, side wished he'd been given some time alone with the bastard first. If what he was hearing was true, this man even killed Buffy's sister.

All he wanted to see right now was Buffy coming out of the house breathing, walking, and sane. He knew something like this could push someone over the edge, and that's without knowing what she may have endured at this fucker's hands.

He knew by being brought here to wait outside the house had to mean it was good news. That Buffy was okay and his wishing for her to be safe was going to come true. Spike found it hard to keep still as he rocked back and forth on his feet. His hands fisted in the pockets of his leather jacket. His patience was getting shorter and shorter as he continued to wait for them to come out of the house. The moment the door opened, he had to fight the urge to run up to the door but he knew it could possibly scare her and held himself back.

*******

Buffy's grip on the blanket tightened when the front door opened. Soon she would be free and yet she was scared to walk out the door. Would there be a crowd of people waiting to boo her and call her names? She was sure the town had good reason to blame her for Dawn's death now, and they'd make sure she knew it.

Doyle knew he shouldn't say anything but he couldn't help it when he turned to help her down the front steps. "I have to say, Miss Summers, it does a heart good to see you walking out of here on your own power. You're one hell of a lass, and don't let anyone else tell ya different."

Buffy felt the tears form as she heard his words and the sincerity in his voice. It gave her hope that she might be wrong, and not everyone would judge her guilty. All she wanted right now was to shower and wash off his touch. Even if she was unconscious while he undressed her, just the thought of his hands on her body made her feel dirty. The gown he'd put her in made her feel even more humiliated, and she feared the blanket would get caught on something, thus revealing more then she wanted anyone to see. The fact everything she wore right now belonged to him made her skin itch.

Once she stepped off the last step and looked up, the first thing she noticed was Spike standing there like he was waiting for her. The look of awe and relief pulled her toward him. The need to be with him, hear his voice pushed her forward as she walked toward him.

Spike waited until his uncle and Buffy was half way across the yard before walking the rest of the way to meet them. He didn't know why, but he knew she wanted the blanket off of her. He started to slip off his leather duster as he came closer. Some how he knew she needed one less reminder of her abductor.

"Here, Pet. Want this instead?" He offered his jacket and recognized the gratitude in her eyes as she nodded her head.

Ethan moved behind her to help remove the blanket reassuring her, "Let me help you. No one will see."

Spike felt giddy that she was here, standing before him alive. Her gaze had not left his since their eyes had met. "I'll slip this around back, close my eyes so I don't see a thing I shouldn't," he offered, wanting to protect her privacy as much as he could.

"Thank you!" she whispered as she let Ethan take the blanket, using it as a shield to protect her. Quickly, she put her arms through his coat, feeling a bit safer than before as it slipped around her.

His residual body heat still remained from his body and now warmed her as the leather coat seemed to embrace her. A mixture of his cologne, light odor of cigarette smoke, the smell of him still lingered in the coat's lining. The aroma soothed her as it sunk in. She wrapped the coat tightly around her while closing her eyes and breathing his scent deeper into her lungs. Committing it all to memory, hoping it would help replace some of the bad ones.

Spike felt all manly, knowing she was feeling safe because it was his coat. He leaned in and asked, "Can I hold you?"

Buffy looked up with a shocked expression, making him happy to see some kind of emotion on her face as she replied with a question of her own, "Why?"

"So I can make sure you're real, and not a figment of my imagination." He answered, with a warm smile as he opened his arms to her.

Without thinking she quickly moved closer letting him wrap his arms around her and pull her against him. Feeling safe and wanted for the first time since the night they told her that Dawn was dead. She couldn't help but snuggle deeper into his embrace and let the outside world disappear for a few minutes.

Ethan stood back and knew what he was seeing. The tender loving care that his nephew was showing this mixed up, fragile, broken woman, told him William was in love. The boy might not know it yet, but he had the same look in his eyes that Nathan had for Anne. He was sure it was the same with Buffy, for she allowed his nephew to give her comfort without hesitation. Buffy Summers may be broken, but she wasn't beyond repair. It would seem that William would play a big part in helping her heal.


Detective Gunn reluctantly approached the three people. He didn't want to disrupt Buffy's moment of true comfort. But he needed to get her to the hospital and checked out. He prayed she had no other trauma that would further complicate her life. It was enough finding out the same man who kidnapped her was also the man who killed her sister in revenge.


"Mr. Rayne, I was wondering if you'd accompany Miss Summers to the hospital?" Charles asked, Ethan and was surprised when he got two different answers.

"Yes, I will." Spike said.

"I'm sure William will have no problems doing it." Ethan replied. "I will follow in one of the cars."

Spike looked at his uncle and gave him a grateful smile. He didn't want to let her go, now that he had her with him. The one thing he knew was it would take some time for her to come to accept him, if she ever did. But he wouldn't give up trying, for how could he walk away from her without a fight. Even if it was Buffy he would be fighting so he could be in her life.

He followed the detective to his car with his arm securely around Buffy's shoulders, keeping her close. The look of fear that entered her eyes briefly gave him the words to say, "I'm not leaving, just make room for me when you get in, Yah."

Buffy nodded, as she quickly got in the back of the police car scooting over to make room for Spike. She didn't see how Ethan on the way to his car had stopped the paramedics from coming over toward her. Her attention focused on getting back in the safe haven of Spike's arms. The feel of him beside her pulling her back against him made her wrap her arms tightly around him and lay her head on his chest.

"To give you fair warning, there are six very worried people waiting for you at the hospital." Spike spoke, noticing how his breath ruffled her hair.

"Six."

"Could be more by now, but I know of six." He replied. "You have some great friends."

"I know, and I've been a bad one to them."

"No, baby…not to hear them talk." He told her as he kissed the top of her head.

"Why are you here?" She asked, not wanting to bring up Dru, but needing to know why he was here, holding her.

"It just feels right, like it's where I'm supposed to be." He answered honestly, knowing he'd never lie to her.

"I feel the same way."

"Good."

"Don't you hate me, think I'm bad?" She asked, feeling nervous but needing to know if he thought her responsible.

"Did you leave Dawn alone that night?" He asked.

"No, I swear I didn't." She answered with tears in her eyes as she looked up and him as she said it.

"I believe you, and even if you had, it doesn't make you bad."

"You do?" She asked sounding shocked.

"Kitten, you can't lie…at least not to me." He told her as he leaned down and whispered, "I truly believe you'd never lie to me, not now, now ever."

"Where do we go from here?" She asked.

"One day at a time and see where it takes us." He again honestly told her.

"My parents will hate me."

"Their loss," he replied while hugging her tighter, "You can't control their emotions, just like you had no control over the man that has hurt your family. He did this Buffy, not you. I hope with time you will come to understand that."

"Your uncle said the same thing when he came to get me." Buffy told him as she again laid her head against him.

"Let things happen as they happen. I think you might be surprised how something like this can open people's eyes. Remember you do have others that care about you too." Spike reminded her.

"Thank you." He barely heard her say as she drifted off to sleep.

He'd talk to Ethan more about how to bring Buffy more into his life, thinking it would be easier if he just tried at first to be her friend. Then he would take one step at a time, knowing with school and his medical residency it wouldn't be easy. One thing he now knew for sure was his choice of where he'd go to finish becoming a doctor was limited to the West Coast. That it would be as close to Buffy as he could get. His father had told him it wasn't where you went to school, but what you learn while you're there.

Sitting back he thanked whoever was watching over this angel and keeping her safe for him. He wasn't sure he could've handled losing her, even if she wasn't yet his. One thing was for sure, if he had his way, they'll grow old together…raise a few kids and spoil the grandkids like crazy. If he had his way, and in the end he always got his way.

Charles Gunn would peek ever so often and smile. He could see a bright future for the couple if everything worked like he hoped it would. If anyone deserved to find the 'happily ever after' it was Buffy Summers. Enough badness had happened to her to last a lifetime, and he hoped she could leave it in the past where it belonged. That is, once she packed it up all nice and proper so it wouldn't come back to haunt her.

He'd already called ahead and made the Emergency Room aware he was coming and to keep it quiet for now. Tomorrow the world could be made aware of what happened tonight. Now was the time to start the victim on the path of recovery, media and gossip hounds be damned.

*******