Author's Chapter Notes:
Man, again I'm humbled at the reviews. I hope I can keep you all interested and coming back for more........
Ethan stepped out into the hallway, hoping his assessment of the situation was correct. In his profile of Snyder so far, his guess would be he never touched the girl sexually. From what he gathered, the man wanted Buffy alive so she could be with him for a long time, which would mean he would've taken his time with her. By the police quickly separating Buffy from her abductor they most likely saved her from being sexually assaulted by the man.

Quickly he made his way to the waiting room in search of Anya Jenkins. Just as he thought, Buffy had asked for the one person she trusted the most right now. He figured from what he'd seen at the reunion the woman was like an older sister, or a motherly figure to Buffy.

He'd asked Dr. Walsh to carefully lead into the subject of rape, without being too blunt, when asking Buffy what she'd been through. He wanted Miss Summers to have as much control in her care as he could arrange. The subject of doing a rape kit and exam he figured would better be discussed with him and Spike out of the room and with Anya by her side.

"Dr. Rayne, how is Buffy holding up?" Charles Gunn asked as he approached the doctor.

"She is doing fine so far." Ethan answered, and added, "I'm glad I ran in to you, I wish to request that the doctor finish her exam before you talk to Miss Summers if you don't mind."

"That won't be a problem since Snyder's dead." Gunn replied, "We could hold off asking her any questions until tomorrow in fact. Let her go home, rest, and have her own clothes on when we question her."

"That would be ideal, as long as you don't mind." Ethan agreed.

"This is now about what is best for Buffy." Gunn stated, "I don't care what anyone else thinks."

"You're a good man, Detective."

"Here's my card. Call me if you need anything." He offered and then asked, "Does she know that Snyder is dead?"

"Yes, she does." Ethan answered as he took the man's business card and then asked, "Do her friends and family know everything that's happened?"

"No, but I can have them told. I still have to tell her parents it was Snyder. I'm trying to keep this as quiet as possible for as long as I can until morning."

"That would be good for Buffy if you do tell them, especially her parents. Please make sure to stress to her parents that none of this was her fault. Buffy will call you tomorrow with a time she can meet you."

"Good. I'm going to leave a couple of men here to help keep the media at bay. I'm sure one of the little snakes will show up pretty soon." Charles informed him, "If you have any problems or need anything, just let one of the officers know, or call me."

"I'm taking her back to my hotel with me. Here's my cell number."

"Did Dr. Walsh mention anything about a rape kit?" Gunn asked.

Ethan nodded his head as he said. "She was planning her exam around what Buffy told her. I would imagine she will want to do one since we know that he undressed Buffy while she was unconscious."

"What makes a man do such horrendous acts? Murder a young girl, and then months later kidnaps her sister."

"I'm not sure I'll ever be able to find that out. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should've taken him alive. Just that with him being dead, it leaves a lot of questions unanswered."

"I know."

"But, then again, even if he'd lived I might never have found the reason why." Ethan also explained, knowing there were times bad things were done for no reason at all.

"Is there anything I can do for you now before I leave? I need to tie up a few things and let my boss know what's happened so far." Gunn asked.

"Can you bring Miss Anya Jenkins to me? I'd like to have a few words with her in private, before she goes back to be with Buffy." Ethan figured he'd let Anya know what she might be walking into.

"Sure, just wait right here and I'll get her for you." Gunn replied as he hurried to the waiting area to get her, leaving Ethan to further think how best he could help Buffy and her family.

*******

Buffy leaned her head against Spike, while answering the basic questions about her health history and letting them take her vital signs. She felt tired and uncomfortable, since she couldn't stop thinking of if he'd touched her or violated her while drugged. Up until the Dr. had asked her aloud, she only thought how this would affect her and no one else.

"Wouldn't I know if he'd messed with me like that?" she silently wondered.

"Buffy, I'm just going to listen to your lungs." Dr. Walsh told her as she lifted her stethoscope to the young woman's chest. "Take a deep breath in through your nose and then let it out your mouth."

Spike lifted the jacket so the doctor could listen to Buffy's back. He could feel Buffy getting tenser by the second. He knew she was worried about what happened when the bastard had changed her clothes while she was out of it. He wished he knew how to reassure her but found it difficult since he didn't have a clue what the man had done to her. Doing the only thing he could think of, he leaned down and kissed the top of her head while at the same time he replaced his jacket back over her shoulders.

Buffy sighed as she felt him kiss her. She hoped he'd still feel this close to her once she sent him away. He'd said it was okay and that he understood. But she couldn't help but worry if he really did understand?

"We can finish the rest of the exam once your friend arrives." Dr. Walsh told her as she sat down, not wishing to talk about a rape kit in front of the only man in the room.

Maggie decided to offer to call rape crisis, once she talked privately with Buffy. Hopefully someone would be available to come and offer some counseling. They'd have some resources they could refer the young woman to that would be better equipped to help her face the world again.

Buffy bit her lip and then decided she needed to talk to Spike alone and asked, "Can I have a few minutes alone with Spike?"

The nurse and doctor exchanged looks before the doctor answered, "Yes, we'll be right outside if you need anything."

Spike waited until the door closed before he scooted further back on the cart, allowing Buffy to climb onto his lap. He wrapped the jacket around her thinking her arms felt chilled. Her tears flowed as she sobbed into his chest. He hugged her closer while rocking her in his arms.

"Let it out Kitten, then tell me why the tears." He said soothingly, wanting her to know he'd be there and listen.

"What…if…he…my…body." She cried, her words broken up, but still he understood her deepest fear.

"It will make no difference in how I feel about you." He vowed, knowing it was only a part of what was bothering her. "Buffy, it could be all he did was change your clothes, either way I'm here, baby, and I'm not going anywhere."

"I'd be…you know….not pure."

"Look at me, Luv." He whispered as he waited for her eyes to meet his.

It took everything she had to look up at him. "I'm afraid I'll never get over this."

"It's normal to feel this way, I know." He assured her. "I've fallen, and with the love and guidance of my uncle I was able to find my way back. You have me, your friends, and Ethan. We'll be with you every step. I won't let you fall, baby. I'll be there step by step."

"But you barely know me." She sighed.

"I feel like I've known you all my life…I will have to tell you a story about a man named Nathan and his true love Anne someday." He shared.

"I feel the same way, and I can't wait to hear about them."

"Buffy, we'll make this work. It's the 'we' used in the sentence that makes it work. You're not alone, not as long as I breathe."

"What if I-"

"Buffy, let's talk about 'what ifs' later, right now I want to say something about the now. I believe in you. I've been around a bit longer than you, and done some things I'm not very proud of. There is one thing I truly believe and that is life is what you make of it. You can let the bad drag you down or you can fight back and not let it win. All the others and I can do is give you the means and support, it's up to you to use what is given to use to help you overcome this."

"Please answer this what if for me."

"Okay, ask away."

"What if he did, you know, did it. Would you think less of me? What if it takes me, like forever to, you know…with you?"

Spike softly chuckled as he kissed her forehead, "Be it 3 weeks, 3 months, or 3 years I can wait. What I feel for you is so much more than about sex."

Buffy smiled through her tears and she teased, "I guess we're having one of those more than sex moments."

"Yeah, very much so." He agreed as he kissed the tip of her nose. "I can see myself growing old with you, just so you know."

"I'm only seventeen."

"I'm only twenty-four."

"Wow, you're old." She teased, and giggled when he tickled her and said, "I'm not old, just a few years older than you."

A knock on the door caught their attention as Buffy quickly moved off Spike's lap and sat beside him. She squeezed his hand once Anya entered with the doctor and nurse walking in behind her. This meant that Spike would be leaving and her heart started to race. She didn't want him to leave, but knew she couldn't talk as freely with him present. Not because she didn't trust him, she just didn't feel comfortable talking about her body in front of him.

"Keep the coat, then I will be with you in spirit." He whispered in her ear before kissing it gently. "I will be right outside if you need me."

Buffy leaned in and whispered in his ear, "I think I could easily grow old with you."

The touch of her lips briefly on his ear made him smile. He was more than sure she would come out of this stronger and whole. Jumping off the gurney he felt a sense of awe that she'd kissed him, even if it was just on his ear. Everything started to look brighter. Even the thought of confronting Dru no longer bothered him, or the thought of dealing with her parents' disapproval of him. All that mattered was Buffy appeared to care for him, and that in itself was more important to him right now.

"Take care of my girl." Spike said as he faced Anya, "I'm leaving her in your loving care."

Anya beamed as she replied, "Don't worry, I'll take very good care of her. She's family."

Buffy felt the tears form as she began to wonder if she'd ever stop crying as she slid off the cart and ran into Anya's open arms. It finally sank in what Spike was telling her; she truly was not alone in this. There were people who cared about her, and it wouldn't matter if Snyder had molested her or not. These people would be beside her through it all.

Spike felt better leaving her in Anya's care as he exited the room. He walked over and sat in the chair that was right across from her room. Taking such a protective position helped prepare him for the wait until he could be back with his girl. It felt right and so good to call her his. For the first time in a long time he felt close to his father, since he was sure this was how his father felt when he first met his mate.

Buffy pulled away from Anya and pulled Spike's jacket up to her nose. He was right, she could smell his scent and it made her feel like he was still close. Knowing he was only a shout away she took Anya's hand and faced her fears.

"So, what do we do next?" She asked.

Dr. Walsh mentally applauded the brave woman she was looking at as she said, "I ask a few more personal questions and then we talk about what kind of exam we need to do."

"Okay, I'm ready." Buffy answered as she led Anya to the chairs so they could sit down.

*******

Joyce still sat in shock, hearing that her little girl wanted someone else with her right now made her realize something for the first time. Maybe Buffy would never forgive her for her trespasses. Even now she couldn't shake the shock of finding out Principal Snyder, of all people, was the man behind all of their grief and misery. She felt no remorse he was dead, only anger she'd not been the one to kill him.

She let Hank lead her by the hand as they followed Dr. Rayne. As she followed she couldn't shake the looks on the others faces when the doctor had asked for Anya to follow him. Everyone knew it meant Buffy wanted Anya, and not her mother, to be with her at this trying time. A few expressions appeared to feel sorry for her, where others openly challenged her to say anything.

The further she traveled away from her daughter the stronger her feelings to fight for Buffy became. By the time they made it to the room, she vowed she'd do anything and everything to be worthy of Buffy's forgiveness.

Hank felt a surge of anger rushing through his veins. He found out someone he trusted to educate and protect his children was the one responsible for all the pain and suffering his family had been through. He hated the fact the man was dead. In fact he wished they'd been able to revive him, only so he could kill the bastard himself.

Dru wished she had somewhere she could go. But knew soon it wouldn't matter, she'd be out on her own once the truth came out. She found it hard to concentrate as she followed her parents and this Dr. Rayne down the hall. Shock didn't cover her feelings, finding out that Mr. Snyder was the man behind Dawn's death and Buffy's kidnapping. But then it all made sense how he'd look at her at times like he wanted to kill her.

*******