Author's Chapter Notes:
Again I bow to you guys for taking the time to read......and also for those that take their time to review.......
Joyce followed Anya down the hall quietly, wondering what the woman had to say to her. A part of her feared what Miss Jenkins had to say, the other was prepared to accept whatever truth she had to impart.

Anya turned suddenly and said, "If you hurt her again, I will kick your ass myself."

Joyce nodded as she said, "I will do my best not to hurt my daughter again. I know it's no excuse, but Dawn was a miracle and losing her took so much out of me. I never told Buffy this, but Dawn was premature and her first month of life was touch and go. I never left my baby girl's side until they told me she was going to make it and I could bring her home. Then we lived with the fear she wouldn't be normal as she grew older. We became over protective of her from the moment she was born."

Anya looked at Joyce in a new light, but still could not understand how she could've treated Buffy the way she did, "I see how special Dawn was, but to lay it all on Buffy wasn't right."

"Oh, I see that now, and maybe if I didn't hate myself so much back then, I might have treated her different. A part of me died that night, and I've been so caught up in my hate, pain, and grief I couldn't see what I was doing, until someone opened my eyes to what it was I was doing to my daughter. I hated God, the Devil, the mailman, even my husband for having that dinner party he so had to attend. If we'd been home, our little miracle would still be alive."

"You can't say that. That bastard would've found another way to hurt your family. To play what ifs right now would be a dangerous game. It could be that Buffy would be gone, dead. Let's just live in the here and now and move on, work on making things right."

Joyce started to cry, "I know, I just hope she lets me make it up to her."

"Well, she's wanting you now, so here's your chance."

"I just want to hold her in my arms and never let her go again." Joyce went on to explain, "I feel like I'm in a bad dream."

"It's only as bad as you let it become. Go be with your daughter, love her, protect her, but most of all support her. Tell her you don't hold her responsible for any of this, especially Dawn's death." Anya instructed, as they came to Buffy's room. "Spike's a good man, I really like him."

Joyce smiled as she took the tissue Anya offered her to wipe the tears away and said, "Yes, he is a good man."

"I think he will take very good care of Buffy; I can see already how much he cares for her."

"It's just going to be difficult with Drusilla."

"She'll get over it. She's still hot for Angel anyway, even if he doesn't want anything to do with her." Anya snorted.

Joyce leaned over and hugged her daughter's guardian angel, "Thank you for taking care of Buffy. It means so much to me to know that someone was looking out for her."

"I hope we can talk some more, it seems you need someone to talk to about everything instead of holding it all inside." Anya offered, remembering how she felt when her parents died and left her with the huge responsibility of raising her siblings.

"I would love that. It would be great to have a friend who'd listen." Joyce replied with a tearful smile. "When we have things settled, I would love it if you and your family would have dinner with us. I think we need to get to know each other better. If you are important to my Buffy, then you are important to me."

Anya smiled as she said, "I would like that very much. If you need anything I want you to call me." She said as she pulled a business card out of her purse, adding her home phone on the back. "Day or night, call me."

"I can see why my girl wanted you first. You're a good person."

"Thank you." Anya said as Joyce knocked on the door. "I have a good feeling about this."

*******

Dru's eyes drooped, feeling tired and finding it hard to hold her eyes open. She tried to stay awake, wanting to hear what her father and Dr. Rayne were talking about. But the tiredness she was fighting was too strong as her eyes shut and she drifted into a restless sleep.

She lay in her bed and listened to her mother and Mr. Sims from across the room grunt and moan as the bed squeaked. The only thing separating her from them was the room divider. Closing her eyes she tried to think of something to take her mind off of what the adults were doing in the other bed. She tried to dream of the day when her father would come and rescue her.

He looked so handsome, as he rode his stallion toward her with a loving smile on his face. She knew her father had come to save her, looking like a knight in shining armor. She knew he'd slay dragons for her, and take her away to live with him now. Her father wouldn't treat her like this, or let other men touch her in places they shouldn't.

Her mother would just laugh at her when she'd tell her about how the men would touch her under her panties. How they'd make her touch them back. She always said, 'what would my men want with a little brat like you.'

Even tonight Mr. Sims had pinched her bottom and said naughty things he wanted to do to her, and have her do to him. She'd cried to her mother and all she got was a smack across the face. She wished she were older than 12 years old, more importantly she wanted to know who her father was. Her mother said he left because he didn't want a child, didn't want to be tied down with a snot nose brat. She blamed Dru for his leaving, because even after trying to abort Dru, she'd failed.

Their moans got louder as she tried to keep them at bay by covering her ears with her hands and softly starting to hum. Nothing was working, causing her to start to cry as she hid her head under her pillow. She wasn't sure how much more of this she could take.


Dru suddenly woke up; happy she'd not cried out or done something to draw attention to her way. Listening to her father talk more with Dr. Rayne made her realize she was soon to be kicked out again, just like her grandmother did. There would be no way her father would want anything to do with her once he found out all she'd done. The things she had done in her past before coming to live with them, or the one big lie she told to protect herself from being rejected and thrown aside, would give him reason to make her leave. Even the thought of losing William did not compare to the fear she'd lose the father she'd been praying for, ever since she could remember.

*******

Buffy felt her eyes drooping as she leaned against Spike while they sat together on the gurney. "Who are Nathan and Anne?"

Spike sighed as he replied, "My parents, they met fell in love on the spot. My Da’ asked my Mum to marry him just two weeks after they met. My uncle said it was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. They never spent a night apart once they were married."

"I wish I could've met them."

"Me too, they would've loved you."

"How about your uncle, did he and your aunt fall in love at first sight?"

"No, he jokes she grew on him. She grew up a few houses down and he thought her more of a tomboy and sister type. That is until another bloke took an interest in her, and then all bets were off. He married her the day after graduation and the rest is history. He spends his free time with her at the nursing facility she's staying at. "

"Will, I would like to meet your aunt."

"I can't wait to introduce you to her. I know in my heart she hears us, and she would want to meet the woman that stole my heart."

"Have I…stolen your heart?"

"Yes, baby, you have."

"I'm pretty sure you've stolen mine too."

"We'll take it one day at a time, Buffy. I'm in no hurry to rush things."

"What did I do to deserve you?" Buffy asked, as she tilted her head to look up at him.

"It's not about deserving; it's more about taking the chance and doing everything in your power to make it work. We'll have good days, bad days…we will fight and argue, kiss and make up. We'll work on getting to know each others wants and needs and compromise to make sure we both get what we need."

"I take it you'll be visiting me when you can, and I'll come see you when I can."

"Sounds good to me, I know my time will be hectic with school and going on interviews for my residency program. Either way, I do know now it will be as close to you as I can get."

Buffy frowned, "Don't do that, I don't want you to sacrifice your schooling to hold my hand."

Spike chuckled as he replied, "More than hold your hand, luv. I want and need to be able to see you when I can. I want to learn everything I can about you. There are plenty of great programs close by, especially for family medicine. The only thing that would be in short supply is you."

Buffy blushed and wondered if he was going to kiss her, since his face was so close to hers. The thought of his lips touching hers seemed so surreal she wondered again if she was dreaming. She leaned toward him and was disappointed when all he did was kiss both her cheeks and then the tip of her nose.

Spike could see the disappointment in her face and assured her, "Our first kiss will be special. Somewhere we won't be interrupted so I can show you how to really kiss your man." He teased.

Buffy giggled as she replied, "I forgot my inexperienced lips is what gave me away."

"This is the one thing I never want you to lose, the ability to tell me anything. I will do the same thing. No secret or lies."

"I agree. No secret or lies." Buffy said confidently as she then said, "I would like to introduce you to Dawn one day. I think she would have liked having you as a brother."

"It would be an honor to meet her." He replied, "One day I'll take you to England so you can meet my parents. I really think they do look over me still. It's why my uncle knew every time I did something bad."

Buffy jumped when someone knocked on the door causing her to say, "Will, how do I handle this?"

"Just follow your heart." He encouraged, "Give her a chance, Buffy. So much has happened to all of you."

Buffy nodded as she said, "Come in."

The moment she saw her mother walk in the room, she began to cry. Looking into her mother's face she saw so many things. Love, pain, fear, and need written all over her face. She watched as her mother opened her arms as tears ran down the older woman's cheeks.

"Oh, baby girl, can you ever forgive me? I'm so sorry." Joyce sobbed as she prayed after this night they would be able to work together to make things right again.

"Mommy, I'm so sorry." Buffy cried as she ran into her mother's arms. "Please forgive me, Mommy?"

"Oh, Buffy, honey, I'm the one who should be asking for forgiveness. You've done nothing wrong. I promise it's all going to change, your father and I want a chance to make everything right again."

"But he killed Dawn because of me."

"No, baby, he killed her because he was a sick man. A man who used his position to hurt my daughters and think he could get away with it." Joyce assured her, "I mean it Buffy, and this is not your fault."

"I didn't leave Dawn alone that night. If I hadn't left she'd still be alive." Buffy rambled, "I'm so sorry."

Joyce hugged her precious daughter closer as she firmly said, "you are not to blame and what do you mean you didn't leave Dawn alone that night?"

"Dru was home when I left to go to Willow's."

"Oh God! Why didn't you say…. what have we done?" Joyce moaned as her stomach knotted up in nerves. "It seems there is so much I need to ask for you to forgive me for."

"You believe me?" Buffy asked.

"Yes I believe you."

Buffy smiled as she hugged her mom hard and said to Spike, "Will, can you tell the doctor I'm ready now, I have my mom with me."

Spike smiled as he heard the new found confidence in his girl's voice as he replied, "Will do, Pet. Good to see you Joyce."

"William, thank you for taking care of my daughter and opening my eyes to how much I'd let go." Joyce told him as she watched him lean in to kiss Buffy's cheek as he walked past them to go and get the doctor.

"Tell me what the doctor is ready to do?"

Buffy looked at her mom and said, "She wants to do a rape exam."

"Baby, did he hurt you in that way?"

"I don't think so, I think I'd know if he forced himself on me."

"I'm here, honey, whatever you need you just let me know." Joyce assured her as she ran her fingers through Buffy's hair.

"I've never had sex before, just so you know." Buffy said, as she looked down at her feet.

"It's fine, Buffy, even if you had I wouldn't think any less of you right now. We're going to work everything out. Dr. Rayne said he'd help us, and your father has agreed. He was so worried about you."

"I find that hard to believe." Buffy snorted, still unable to hide the bad feelings she still held against her father for his treatment of her.

"I know it's hard to believe, I really do. But when we thought we lost you too, it brought him out of his stupor. Now is not the time to go into everything, but please don't shut the door on your father. A part of both of us died that night, and neither one of us have handled things well."

"Can we just get through this and then see where things go from here?" Buffy asked.

"Yes, we can." Joyce assured her, "I'm here for you, baby."

Buffy hugged her mother again, and said, "I'm glad you are." She was ready to get this over so she could go to the hotel and shower. "Mom, I'm staying at the hotel with Dr. Rayne tonight. I just don't want to face Dru and Dad tonight."

"I understand, baby. Just call me if you need anything."

"I can do that." Buffy said, happy her mother didn't fight her on this; not realizing her mother understood and had an agenda of her own.

Buffy heard the knock on the door and knew this night would be over soon as she called out, "Come in!"

Dr. Walsh entered the room followed by Tara and asked, "Are you ready, Buffy? Or do you need more time?"

"No, Dr. Walsh, I'm ready now." Buffy answered as she took her mother's hand and walked over to the gurney.

*******