Author's Chapter Notes:
Again, you guys amaze me to now end....and Mole, I haven't forgotten my other stories and yes they will be finished. I'm just having time issues with writing, LOL
Buffy stepped into the bathroom letting out the breath she hadn't realized she was holding. She walked over to the mirror and took a good look at herself. The woman who was looking back at her was not the lost confused little girl she last saw when she was in this room earlier.

Now standing before her was a woman with a new found confidence. Her mother was here, believing her, loving her. Friends were not far away, and then there was William. She wasn't sure if he cared if she called him William or Spike. It was a question she'd have to ask him.

Just thinking about him made her heart beat faster, and the need to see and feel him grew stronger. Until now, she never believed in love at first sight, or the notion of soulmates. Now she was a convert to the idea that all of it was true.

After using the bathroom and washing her hands she felt she was ready to walk out and put her past where it belonged, in the past. Thinking about it all, Buffy realized she'd been given a second chance on life, and she wasn't about to waste it. She'd take life one day at a time just like Spike said, and see where her life would lead. She would take back her life and not let anyone hold her back from making her life worth living. Mr. Snyder would not be allowed to win.

*******

Ethan wished this wasn't happening at this time. But it was something they couldn't avoid. He just hoped this didn't escalate to a point he wouldn't be able to prevent emotions and feelings getting out of control. The last thing any of them needed was acts and decisions being made in the heat of anger.

"Dru, I'm only going to ask you this once." Hank warned her, "All I ask is you tell me the truth."

"I'd never lie to you Daddy." Dru answered with as much conviction as she could muster, knowing the time she'd dreaded had come. She'd never outright lied, for they never asked her about that night, her lie had been by omission.

"Did Buffy leave you with Dawn that night?"

Dru felt the heat of their eyes trained on her, making her wish that Buffy hadn't been saved. Then this moment wouldn’t be playing out this way. She'd still be her father's favored daughter. It was her turn to shine in his eyes, and now like everything else, Buffy was about to take that away too. A small voice inside kept telling her she was blaming the wrong person, and to just own up to what she'd done and be done with it all.

It was time to be mommy's good little girl and just accept her fate. She wasn't sure what she would do, but she'd survive, her mother's boyfriends had given her the experience to do that. Her grandmother was right, she wasn't worth loving and she was nothing, it was why she sent her away to live with Hank.

She looked him straight in the eyes and said with a deadened voice, devoid of all feelings, "Yes, she did."

Hank started to get angry at Dru, but mostly at himself. "Why did you let Buffy take the blame?"

Dru rolled her eyes and looked around her and said, "So I could be treated the way you've all treated her? I'm sure I would've been treated even worse, maybe even sent back to England. Plus, you never asked."

"Dru, that is not true." Hank growled, "and a poor excuse to use. I never would've sent you away."

"I never would've thought you'd turn your back on your precious pumpkin." Dru bluntly accused, with such a fire of conviction no one doubted she truly believed it to be true. "Daddy's list of favorites, first came Dawn, his baby girl, then came Buffy, his pumpkin, and then me, who you never gave a nickname until after Dawn died. Then you called me your Princess. Before that it was just Dru."

Hank sighed, feeling tired and beaten as he said, "I never loved either of my daughters more than the other."

"So you say! I've never been accepted in this family. Always the third best, even if I was your firstborn. It was always Buffy this, Dawn that. They always got your attention, even if I was talking to you at the time." Dru told him, for the first time telling him exactly how she truly felt. "Buffy was your favorite and you treated her like garbage. I could only imagine how you would've treated me."

Hank felt like he was seeing Drusilla for the first time and wondered how he could've missed her jealousy. He could see she truly believed what she was telling him, and he realized he failed all his children in the worst way.

"Dru, I'm sorry you feel this way. I wish you would've come to me and told me."

"Like anyone could come and talk to you. You've lived blindly, telling us it would all work out. Take a look around now, and see how well it's worked out Daddy." Dru accused as her voice became intense. "How are you going to treat me now? Turn your back on me and only speak to me when you have too, and if so by degrading me. Will you ignore me like you've done Buffy all these months? Or will you do like Grandmother did and turn me away? Tell me Daddy, how do you plan on making this right?"

Hank felt for his daughter, he really did. It would seem he'd been blind to the pain his oldest must have been going through. Taking a good look at it all, it would seem everything wrong with his family was his fault.

He looked at her as he cupped her face and said, "Dru, if nothing else I've learned here it's this. We can't sweep any of this under a rug and try and hide it any more. I don't want to lose another member of this family. I'm just sorry it's taken something like this to open my eyes to how I've failed my girls."

"It's simple really. You never really loved me like you did them."

"No, that's not right. It's more like I just assumed you knew I loved you. I'm so sorry I failed you Princess, I hope you'll give me the chance to make it up to you." Hank assured her, seeing the pain in her eyes and the acceptance she was going to be tossed aside. "I'm thinking I've made a mistake in not making you tell me more about your past or finding some way to have found out more how you were raised."

"Joyce will never want anything more to do with me, so why bother." Dru replied, "I really don't see her or Buffy accepting me back into the fold after this."

"Please, Drusilla, don't give up on us, I promise we will try and do better." Hank vowed as he took his daughter in his arms and hugged her close. "All we can do is try, baby. I don't want to lose you."

Dru broke down and cried, letting all the pain she'd been holding in over the years to flow out. No one had ever fought for her before, and it touched something inside making her feel a true sense of hope for the first time. Her mother had never held her, except at a distance. The only ones that ever held her wanted something and it was usually the use of her body.

Ethan stood watching as the father comforted his oldest child, knowing something terrible lay in her past. He would make sure she was given the best care possible. There was an associate of his that practiced in L.A. that would be perfect for Dru. Jenny Carpenter would be someone that would work well with her.

"Miss Summers, or can I call you Dru?" Ethan asked.

Dru's sobs had quieted down to sniffles as she replied, "Dru would be okay."

"I have an associate in L.A., not far from the university. I would love to arrange for the two of you to meet. That is, if you are still planning on being in L.A." Ethan offered.

Dru felt a surge of anger, "Why do I have to have a different doctor? Not the famous Dr. Rayne?"

Ethan explained with care and honesty, "Because, you deserve to have someone who you can trust to put your interests first. Someone that you can build a trust with and feel they will keep your confidence and be there for you. I would still want you to be involved with the family counseling, as I would your parents. But I will be referring them to someone else as well. I've worked with and trust Dr. Carpenter to take very good care of you and your interests."

"Why does Buffy get you?" Dru asked.

"Because I was consulted on her case first, is why." He simply said, knowing now would not be a good time to tell her that William asked him.

"Why is William with her and not here with me?" She whimpered, causing Hank to become upset as well.

"I think that is something you will have to ask him." Ethan replied, as he looked at Hank and said, "I really do not think tonight would be a wise time to bring it up. He's been very helpful with Buffy, and I would hate to have her upset at this moment. I encourage all of you to take things slowly and not rush in to any quick decisions or judgments."

"Thank you, Dr. Rayne, for everything. I want to do everything in my power to bring my family back together." Hank replied, thinking the doctor was right. He couldn't or shouldn't like his temper to misguide him right now.

"I'm going to go and check on Buffy and see how things are progressing with her exam. We will talk more tomorrow after everyone's had some rest and time to calm down." Ethan explained as he turned to leave. "I will return and give you both the numbers to contact Dr. Carpenter."

"I will explain everything to Joyce tomorrow, Princess."

"I will understand if she doesn't want anything to do with me." Dru replied, "I will make an appointment to see Dr. Carpenter."

"I promise, honey, I won't turn my back on you. We will be a family again one day. This time we will be stronger and will be there for each other."

Dru nodded her head as she let her father hug her once again. The words sounded lovely, but she knew her mother and grandmother were right, she was nothing special and no one would want to keep her. She knew her life here with them was over, and deep down she knew it was all her fault. Until she had to leave, she'd try and enjoy this time with her father as much as she could.

*******

Spike watched as the door opened and the nurse came out. He felt like jumping up and going right in, but he knew that Buffy and her mother needed more time alone, and the doctor was still in there with them. His girl would come and get him when she was ready to see him.

"Giles says you can have the house." Anya said as she sat beside him. "Any changes?"

"The nurse came out, but the doctor's still in there with her." Spike replied, as he slouched down in the chair to wait for a sign Buffy wanted him to join her.

"Oh, Angel says he needs to have a sit down with you and make sure you're okay in his book." Anya giggled, "But don't worry, I've already told him you passed the test and he's only supposed to give you the family rules."

Spike chuckled as he replied, "I can see I've not only gained a girlfriend but a slue of pesky demon friends to go with her."

"Yep, get used to it, buster."

"It will be a pleasure."

"Good, we expect to see you as often as we can."

Spike nodded as he replied with a request of his own, "Care to tell me about your little band of demons."

*******

Buffy walked out of the bathroom to find her mother and the doctor talking about counseling for everyone about tonight. Hearing her mother say that they'd talk to Dr. Rayne for the best way to go warmed her heart. It felt good to see and hear her mother saying the 'we' and not 'she'.

"Buffy, I hope you know I did try to make this as easy and quick as I could." Dr. Walsh told her. "I was just telling your mom, that even though no sign of sexual assault was found that the rape crisis people might still be of service."

Buffy looked at her mother and softly smiled as she replied, "You can leave us the number and we'll see where things go over the next couple of days."

"Good, I'll make sure the number is included with your discharge papers." Maggie's understanding smile fit the caring expression on her face, making Buffy really come to like the woman.

"Am I going to get to leave soon?" Buffy asked, wanting to leave and put some needed distance from all of this for a while.

"It won't be long." Dr. Walsh answered, "Tara should be starting on the papers now. I'll just go and add a few more things and she'll be back very soon."

Joyce reached out her hand toward the doctor and said, "Thank you so very much for taking wonderful care of my Buffy. I really think you've done a great job in making it as easy for her under such terrible circumstances."

"I have to agree with my mom. You really helped me get through this tonight." Buffy agreed.

"If you need anything, please don't hesitate to call." Maggie encouraged as she shook first Joyce's and then Buffy's hand. "Here's my card, call me any time."

Buffy took the card and smiled gently, "Your kindness is the best medicine you could've given me."

Maggie felt her heart go out to the young woman as she learned something more about herself. It really made this job worth doing when something as simple as kind words and deeds touched someone. She'd have to keep that in mind when she was having a bad night, or someone pushed all her wrong buttons some night.

Buffy smiled as the doctor said her goodbyes and left the room. As much as she wanted Spike with her right now, she needed to say a few things in private to her mother first. One of the other things she realized while in the bathroom was what to do about Dru. She didn't want Dru to be let off the hook, but she didn't want her treated the way she'd been. She would not wish what she went through on even her worst enemy. It could be that Dru being there that night would've made no difference. Instead of losing one sister, she might have lost two, all because of a mad man's craziness.

*******