Buffy showered quickly and then applied her makeup after blow-drying her hair. Her hair once hung below her shoulders, and was kept nicely trimmed. It now hung a few inches above her neck in an unorganized layered cut. The color at one time a medium brown was now bleached blonde. Where her make up once was more natural in appearance, it now was dark and gothic looking. In the past she worshipped the sun, where now she avoided it, since she found herself lurking in the dark more and more. Her skin was pale, making the dark liner around her eyes stand out more.

Looking over her wardrobe she picked out what she'd work in and then something she'd wear to The Bronze later. Low riding blue jeans, and a black tee shirt with bat wings traced in silver, that barely fell past the waist line of her pants. Under the wings was the word Slayer, written boldly in red. Black combat boots completed her outfit. For the Bronze she grabbed her favorite tight fitting leather pants and a slinky red halter. Grabbing her make up kit she felt ready to leave.

Thinking she'd grab a bottle of water and some fruit she headed down toward the kitchen. The sight that greeted her surprised her as she noticed two bowls of cereal on the table and Spike pouring the milk.

"I know that is not Princess Dru's ideal breakfast." Buffy snorted as she entered the room.

"No, but I have a feeling it might be yours." He replied as he noticed what she was wearing. "Cool shirt."

Buffy rolled her eyes, as she bent over to sit her bag down on the floor to keep him from seeing her slight little smile. She couldn't help but like him, and wonder how someone like him would end up with a bitch like Dru.

"So what's the occasion?" She asked as she wiped the smile off her face before looking back at him.

"None, just was up when I heard your alarm." He answered as he sat down and waved for her to join him. "Frosted Flakes is my favorite next to Reeses."

"It's okay, I'm more a Fruity or Cocoa Pebbles freak." Was all she said as she sat down and started to eat.

Neither of the two noticed Joyce Summers watching from just outside the door. She filed that bit of information away for the next time she went shopping. It was time she stopped buying Dawn's favorite foods, and more of Buffy's.

"Have big plans today?" He asked, making sure to assess her reaction.

He noticed her stiffen up as she delivered, "I plan to fuck the entire football team before practice. Then go to my usual corner and service my regulars."

Spike busted out laughing as he looked her in the eyes and said, "Oh, kitten, try and tell me another tall-tale."

"What? Don't you believe I’m a big slut?" She asked, trying to keep her anger under control.

"No, I don't."

"Why the hell not? I dress the part." She snorted as she returned to eating her cereal.

"Looks can be deceiving. I usually wear this long leather jacket, swear like a sailor, and smoke like a fiend. I've been trying to cut down with the smoking."

"And now?"

"Trying to make a nice impression on your folks." He explained.

"Oh, so you're pretending to be something you're not." She replied as she shook her head and sighed. "No wonder you and Dru are such a couple."

"Care to clarify that?" He asked in a nonjudgmental tone.

"You both are fakes, making people believe you are something you're not. You're trying to look the good boy part and she's trying to hide the lying bitch that she is. I'd say you both were made for each other." She answered as she stood and carried her bowl over to the sink. "Well, I'm outta here, have men to screw and a living to make."

Spike watched carefully, as she showed no emotion during her statement. Some little warning went off in his brain telling him something just wasn't right here. He looked at her and said, "I don't think I'm the only one faking it here."

Buffy turned on him with a hint of anger to her voice as she said, "What the hell do you mean?"

He stood from the table and walked over to stand in front of her before he leaned closer and replied, "I don't think you're the whore they think you are. In fact I'd bet my life savings you are the opposite."

"Fuck you!"

"Is that an invitation?"

"You have the money, I have the time." She retorted as she poked his chest with her index finger.

"How much?"

"Get out, you couldn't afford me." She chuckled, "Poor college student that you are. Plus what would Dru say?"

"How much?" He could see she was trying to come up with an acceptable price and trying to work it out to be something believable.

"Out of your range." She again said, as she pulled him down for a kiss that lasted only a matter of seconds before she pushed him away and purred, "Don't fuck with me, you might catch something really bad."

"That's what condoms are for." He replied with a smile, her sloppy kiss proving his point. She was not a woman of experience, or her skill at kissing would've been more assured and not virginal like.

"Get a life." She growled as she quickly moved to grab her workbag and leave him staring at her retreating back.

He waited for the door to close before he mumbled aloud, "If you're experienced in men, Kitten, then I'm the next Pope."

Joyce stood in shock while she watched the interaction between her daughter and Dru's boyfriend. She didn't know how to react since she couldn't comprehend what had just happened. If she confronted him, he'd know she sat and watched him proposition her little girl. Then she noticed him pull out his cell phone and dial a number.

"Ethan, hate to wake you so early, but I have to tell you something." Spike spoke into the phone. "Yeah, I had a little conversation with our girl."

Joyce stood listening to Spike talk to whoever this Ethan was. She heard him talk about Buffy, to this stranger on the phone about things that made her afraid for her daughter. The moment she heard him tell the man about watching Buffy touching the razor opened her eyes completely. Suicide was something her daughter was thinking about, and it was more than just a prank she might play. She no longer cared what Spike thought about her eavesdropping as she stepped inside the kitchen with a look of horror on her face.

"I don't want my daughter to die." Joyce whispered, her voice laden with fear and determination.

"Then I suggest you talk to my uncle." Spike replied and then told Ethan, "Here's Mrs. Summers." Handing the phone to Joyce he informed her, "His name is Ethan Rayne, and he won't bite."

"Not here." Joyce said as she looked behind her.

"Then go out on the back porch, I'll run interference if anyone ventures down." Spike encouraged her as he gently thrust the phone in her hand. "Is she worth saving?"

Joyce started to cry as she answered, "Yes she is. It's me I'm starting to wonder who isn't worthy of her."

"We're only human, and it's not too late to fix it." Spike offered, as he assisted her to the door. "Go have a nice chat with Ethan. He as a way of making you tell him everything and you never feel bad about it."

Joyce nodded as she opened the door and stepped out and said, "Mr. Rayne, this is Buffy's mother."

Spike smiled as he closed the door, hearing Joyce call herself Buffy's mother. It was a giant step in getting mother and daughter closer. It was only right that the mother be the one to make the first move. It would be what made the young woman believe her mother wanted her.

*******