Author's Chapter Notes:
you guys rock......fair warning.....the killer talks about Dawn's death.....
Spike really started to wonder about his life, when he noticed the diner and decided it was time for lunch. Dru and Joyce had gone shopping, and Hank was still giving him some heated looks. So he'd decided to take a quick drive around Sunnydale and learn a bit more about the town.

Dru had been all touchy feely in front of her parents to the point he felt like she was overdoing it. He felt guilty for thinking bad about her motives, but then again, he'd only just started going out with her in July. They met on campus, when she was moving into the dorms one summer day. Feeling drawn to her dark beauty and flirty ways, he'd asked her out, and since then they'd become a couple.

His uncle had politely accepted Dru into his life, but he'd felt the underlying unease Ethan felt around her. He was sure if it was anything really bad, the man would've sat him down and given him a good talking to. Since his parents' death, and his stint on the wild side, his uncle had no qualms with telling him what was on his mind. Spike found he was grateful the man had taken a paternal interest in him after everything that had happened seven years ago.

Seeing a spot he pulled in to park and noticed across the street was the shop Dru had mentioned that Buffy worked at. He knew he'd be pushing his luck if he walked in and so decided he'd just go in the diner and grab something to eat.

Walking into the diner he noticed the good amount of people present for a Saturday afternoon. The restaurant was close to being full with only a few seats vacant. He hoped there would be a place to sit once he got back from the restroom.

*******

Buffy stood at the counter and watched as Anya used her special brand of communication skills to take down the salesman that had tried to take advantage of them. It was a wonderful sight to behold, seeing her manager go all demon chick on the man. She really would hate to be on the woman's bad side.

"You think just because I'm a woman, you can try and sweet talk me into buying something I don't want, let alone need." Anya shouted. "Burma weed, yes, but your prices are way too steep. Andrew and Jonathan give me better deals and so far you are nothing but fodder under my heels. Now scat and fly away before I turn you into a toad, you horny little man."

Buffy giggled as she watched the man practically fly out of the store. She wished she had the courage to tell others how she really felt, especially her parents. Deep down she knew it wouldn't make a difference because they wouldn't believe her. It would be Dru's word against hers. It was one thing to suspect and believe they wouldn't take her side, she just didn't want it proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

"Why the sad face? Even if we're dying, we only keep happy smiles while on the payroll." Anya told her as she gave the young woman a worried look. "You know Angel will be moving out soon, and when you turn eighteen you can move in with me and Faith."

"I really want to move to the other side of the world." Buffy replied.

"Well, not until you graduate, honey." Anya said as she shook her finger at her. "I will not let you leave here without finishing your education, and that's final."

Buffy nodded her head, knowing Faith's sister would do as she said. She could still remember Anya getting her drunk one night while Faith and Angel were asleep. The memory was vague, but she could remember bits and pieces of their conversation. Buffy was pretty sure she'd broken down and told Anya everything that had happened the night of Dawn's death, and more. Since then she was taken under the older woman's wing and taken care of. Given this job and treated like family.

"I might just take you up on the offer until graduation." She answered, seeing a genuine smile directed her way.

"Good, I know Angel and Darla would be happy, as would Faith if you did."

"Do you want something from Mel's? I'm feeling a bit hungry." Buffy asked, after her stomach growled, hoping it would change the direction of the conversation. Talking about closeness and family stuff made her very uncomfortable.

"Hmmm…I could go for a chef salad with lite Italian." Anya told her, as she was handing her some money, and then let her know, "Don't think you slipped that one past me."

"Okay, I won't." Buffy replied, as she made sure she put the money in her pocket before leaving. She'd wanted to change the subject away from her home life and future living space, since Anya already knew more then she'd like her too know about it.

"Do you have plans for the holiday?" Anya asked, "'Cause I'm having a cook out and you're invited."

"No real plans. Parents haven't expressed any plans to me, and since Dru and her new fling are in town, who knows. Labor Day - couldn't it have been further in the school year and given me a longer break from her Highness."

"Well, you have somewhere to come, and if you'd like you can spend Sunday night with us if you need to get away from the royalty; help with setting up."

"I will let you know tomorrow; I should know something by then."

"Okay, well take your time, no need to rush back." Anya told her before going off to greet the new customer.

*******

He watched as she crossed the street, knowing she was heading to the diner. He quickly moved so he could enter from the rear and maybe watch her come in.
Watching her for a moment as the wind ruffled her hair he hated she had cut it. But it would be something he could change. The color would have to go as well, it wasn't her natural color, and he wanted his girl natural.

The fact the fair citizens trusted him made him chuckle as he made his way to the back door. If only they knew the truth about someone they trusted so easily and foolishly. The urge to have the power again that he had when he killed that one time was growing stronger. He didn’t plan to kill his girl, but he was afraid of what he might have to do to appease the demon calling inside him to feed its hunger.

He could still feel as her body went limp as he cut her over and over. The release of her blood freed the beast that was hiding inside him. Until then he didn't know how caged his demon was. Hearing her screams when he'd first started to cut her delicate skin, beginning with her feet, still called to him. He took his time to just nip here and there and make her beg him to stop. Her tears and little sweet voice just fueled the fire.

By the time he was finished, one couldn't tell the superficial cuts from the deep lacerations as they were hidden by the blood. Her screams had died down to sniffles and whimpers of her calling for her mommy and daddy. The only thing he could see clearly of her face was the big blue eyes. He knew her tears were there, but he couldn't see them for the blood that covered her once child like features.

If there's one thing about the human race that will never change is they like to talk, and talk and talk. The more they blab the bigger the story grows. By the time it spread around town, the poor Summers girl was raped and ripped apart in pieces like a wild animal had gotten her. That her middle sister was either involved somehow was still circulated around by the gossips. He knew the truth that he never sexually abused the girl.

He'd thought his message was clear enough, but then in his mind it wasn't. In fact they had made it easier to catch her now, he just needed to bide his time. Soon, he'd make his move, and hoped he could keep his demon at bay. The last thing he needed was for the beast inside him to get sloppy and then get caught. It was his turn now and once things died down about his girl's disappearance, the demon could have its turn to find its prey.

Walking in the door he was able to get a prime spot so he could watch her walk in. He noticed Willow Rosenberg and young Alexander Harris with their current significant others at one of the booths. Maybe once everything settled, the demon would like to play with the redheaded traitor that turned her back on his girl. He sat back as he watched Buffy Summers walk into the diner and heard how quiet it became. Yes, he was sure once he made his move, they all would think she'd just up and run away. Could be his killing Dawn made it easier to have Buffy now. He'd be surprised if a manhunt would be raised to search for her when she couldn't be found.

*******

Drusilla answered her cell phone stepping away from her bitch of stepmother. "Harmony, I was wondering when you'd return my call."

"Sorry, Sondra was able to fit me in last minute for a few touch ups on my hair and nails." Harmony replied as she walked into her father's mansion.

"Oh, I know, dear. Had mine done in L.A. before coming home, The Salon is paradise."

"You just have to take me next time I come down to visit."

"Yes, so now down to business, I so want you to meet William. He's the one. I just know it." She purred as she watched Joyce continue to shop, wondering why she was picking up more confectionary cereal.

"I'm sure it has nothing to do that he's going to be a big famous doctor like his uncle, does it?" Harmony giggled.

"Not as much as it has to do with the fact he's weak and can be lead by his Johnson," Dru told her, "and he is very good in bed. I just might have sex with my husband on a regular basis."

"With a few lovers on the side, no less."

"Well, he will be away a lot as he trains. There will be nights I will need some company. You know I don't like to be alone." Dru snickered.

"Yep, and a sweet kitty or man's best friend won't do." Harmony agreed.

"How about the Bronze, say around 8:30 tonight? We can have a few drinks, dance and catch up on things." Dru suggested.

"Great, and then you can meet my puppy."

"See you then." Dru said as she hung up the phone and went to join Joyce.

The woman was so clueless sometimes. The only reason she was here was to keep up the good old family pretense. She couldn't wait for when that could end. Soon the family would crumble and the only ones left would be her and her daddy.

*******