Author's Chapter Notes:
Again, I cannot take credit for anything Buffy or Angel associated own everything to Joss and Co.
Please read JD ROBB's In Death Series, the characters parallel the one's in my story.
Chapter Two:


Buffy sat at her desk in her small office at Sunnydale headquarters and wondered why the victim had been taken to such a hotspot if it wasn’t somehow connected to the owner and his fundraiser.



The owner… William Masters, his face had stayed with her for the last 24 hours and she found herself thinking about him more and more.



‘Stay focused Summers!’ Buffy scolded herself and went back to the report. She had added all the interviews and autopsy report to hand into her commander.



A knock on the door brought her out of her thoughts. “You wanted to see me sir.” Officer Willow Rosenberg addressed Buffy.



“Yes, I did, and quit calling me sir. Sit down Rosenberg. I wanted to ask you if you’d like to be my assistant during this investigation.” Buffy inquired.



“Seriously!” Willow stood up and began speaking quickly, “I mean that would be great sir, I mean Buffy, I mean Lieutenant, I mean Lieutenant Summers.” She quickly sat down and closed her eyes. “Tell me I didn’t call you Buffy just now.”



Buffy chuckled, “Yeah you did, but good thing that’s my name, huh. Now Willow you showed great instincts the other morning and I’m willing to bring you on as my aide during this case. That means fetching me coffee, and doing endless amounts of crap work, but I really want you to be a part of this case. Does that sound like a plan to you?”



“Yes Lieutenant, I would be honored to work with you.” Willow’s red face closely matching her hair seemed to subside some.



“Good now that that’s settled we can get to work. Have we ID’d the victim yet?” Buffy questioned her knowing she had been doing most of the investigation follow-up concerning the victim.


“No, not as of yet, we still have some DNA testing to run through CBI (California Bureau of Investigation) and we should be closer to finding out who the Jane Doe is.” Willow’s former staunch attitude returned as she reigned in her emotions.


“Okay, after we do that I intend to do follow-up interviews with the managers Xander and Anya Harris and with Doyle O’Reilly.’ Buffy summed up her plan. “You up for a field-trip back to The Bronze?”



“Yes, I’ll inform my supervisor of my change in assignment.” Willow stated.


“Already done. Let’s get out of here before the media hounds try to catch me to give them a report of our progress.”


“Okay sir, sorry Lieutenant.”


“And stop apologizing Rosenberg, you haven’t done anything wrong…”


“Okay sorry, I mean okay.”




At The Bronze






“When do you think we’ll be open for business Spike?” Xander Harris asked as he poked his head in the make-shift office for his boss.





“I haven’t the slightest idea whelp, and if that’s coming from the fundraiser organizers, tell them I already donated the $250 that was supposed to be raised last night.” Spike sneered in his direction.




“Gee, Captain Peroxide don’t shoot the messenger.” Xander held up his hands in defense.




“Sorry, I’m bloody frustrated that we haven’t found out who that girl is. Not the best publicity for any other fundraisers, but mostly I’m just upset that she might have been killed because someone didn’t want us to throw that party.” Spike put his head down and ran his hands through his hair.




“Well Mr. Masters, I hope we can find out just why they didn’t want you to throw the party.” Buffy entered his office as he looked up. They made eye contact and Spike’s world shifted to the right just a little more. Buffy’s eyes softened when she saw the frazzled state he seemed to be in, but covered by introducing Willow. “This is Officer Rosenberg; she’ll be my aide through the rest of the investigation.”





Spike stood up and held out his hand to Willow, but
didn’t break eye contact with Buffy. “Pleasure to meet you Officer.” He finally looked at Willow, “What a particular lovely shade of hair you have.” And kissed her hand.





As Willow turned the same shade of red as her hair, Buffy felt a stab of jealousy run up her spine. She silently chided herself, ‘Stop fantasizing about him kissing your hand and get to work.’ “Mr. Masters…”




“Please Lieutenant, call me Spike, everyone does.” Spike returned his gaze to Buffy.




“Mr. Masters,’ she glared hardly at him, ‘I would like to re-interview the employees that were present at the time of the body discovery?”




“I’m sure that would be fine, luv, we don’t have anything going around here, do we?” He quirked his head to the side and Willow coughed and excused herself like Xander had from a conversation that was becoming increasingly more personal by the second.




Not noticing Willow or Xander's absence Buffy narrowed her eyes, “No you don’t do you? What with the dead girl on your dance floor and all.” Seeing the sadness return then replaced by a cold stare, Buffy realized that comment might have been uncalled for.




“I assure you Lieutenant Summers my employees and I will be cooperative. I would appreciate that when you need to speak with me again you could contact my assistant at this number to set up at time for us to meet.” He handed her his card, shut down his computer, and walked toward the door. “I will not be available the rest of the day as I have meetings in Los Angeles.” He left it at that and walked away but turned one last time to eye her, “Don’t presume to have any idea how I feel about the poor girl that was killed. You have NO idea who I am.” He waved toward Xander talking with Willow and was out the door before Buffy could respond.




“Who the hell does he think he’s dealing with!” She fumed and stalked toward Xander. “How can he just walk out of here and leave the scene! How arrogant can one person be?”




“Well, for the most part it’s all a front Lieutenant Summers. Arrogance is Spike’s defense mechanism when someone really gets under his skin. Most of the time he’s pretty easy going, charming, and isn’t ruffled by people in the slightest. Seems you’ve really made a point to get under that skin, huh?” Xander smirked and then cowered when Buffy stared him into the floor.




“Yeah, if he thinks he’s going to get away that easy, he’s met his match. Rosenberg, you’ve gone over the previous interviews, talk with Mr. and Mrs. Harris and O’Reilly and meet me back at headquarters. Where is he headed Mr. Harris?” Buffy pointed her finger in Xander’s chest.




“Uh, Uh, Uh…., probably to his office in LA.” Xander’s bladder felt the need to relieve itself, but he was too frightened of the woman.




“What’s the address?” She waited a beat as he wrote it down. “Thank you for your cooperation Mr. Harris, if arrogance is Mr. Master’s defense, he should see mine.” She stormed out the door.




“So what do you think is her mechanism?” Xander quietly asked Willow.




“Violence aside? Probably verbal abuse that tends toward emasculation.” She chuckled and saw Xander’s face pale. “They are certainly both bull-headed huh.” He laughed nervously.




“Bull-headed is the least those two will be, we’ll be lucky if we don’t have to investigate another murder by the time this is done.” She took out her notebook and saw Xander frown. “Now Mr. Harris tell me exactly what occurred on the night in question.”






************************************************************
Did I leave you wanting more? Hopefully you’re still with me. I promise to give you a little Spuffy next chapter!!! Can’t have them fall into bed immediately can I? Or can I? (laughs evilly)…