Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm not taking credit for anything Buffy or Angel related. Don't own JD ROBB's In Death series, but this story is all mine.
Chapter Four:



Buffy studied the toxicology and autopsy report on Harmony Alisha Kendall. She was thirty years of age, British citizen, finishing her MBA at Stanford. Time of death was approximately 3:45 a.m. She was single and had her whole life ahead of her, Buffy thought sadly.



“Why’d they target you Ms. Kendall? What connection do you have to Spike if any?” Buffy questioned herself out loud. She looked at the business card and dialed the phone number on it.


“Masters’ World Inc., Jenny Calendar speaking how my I direct your call.” Jenny answered quickly and efficiently.



“Ms. Calendar, Lieutenant Summers, I wish to set up an appointment with Mr. Masters’ preferably tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. sharp.” Buffy confidently summed up her request.



“I’m sorry Lieutenant, Mr. Masters has a conference call scheduled for that time, and I don’t see an opening till late afternoon around 4:00 p.m. Shall I put you down for 4:00 p.m.?”



“Is that the earliest he’d be able to see me?” Buffy frowned audibly.



“Yes, Lieutenant, I’m afraid the investigation required him to reschedule some of the meetings from the beginning of the week and he’s been playing catch up ever since.” Jenny explained.


“If that’s the best you can do, put me down for 4:00.” Buffy sighed and said goodbye.



‘I hope you’re not trying to weasel your way out of a meeting because of our last Tet’ a te’.’ She blushed as she remembered his hands in her hair and the ferocious excitement that burned through her. Forcibly she pushed the thoughts aside and looked at the supplements and reports on her desk.


Willow had been thorough with interviews involving Xander and Anya Harris and Doyle O’Reilly. She was pleased to see Willow’s progress in such a short time on the case. She thought about making her a more permanent part of the Homicide division.



She planned on finishing up an update on the report and decided to take a trip to the morgue to meet with Coroner Andrew Tucker about the Kendall autopsy. A knock at her door signaled a delay in her plan and she turned to see the door open.


“How is my absolute favorite friend in the whole world?” A screaming Faith Wilkins stepped through the entry.


“Hey Faith, in the neighborhood or just looking for another tumble with one of my cops?” Buffy smirked and stood up to give her best friend a hug.


“Well, if you must know I was in the neighborhood and thought I’d drop in to give you the latest on my demo plans, but if you have a full plate B, let me know and I’m sure I can waste some time cuddling up to the boys in blue,” Her doe eyes full of mischief and the dimples in her cheeks proved that Faith wasn’t just kidding, she was serious.


“Nah, I’ve got some time, let me hear the lowdown on the single. How’s it coming?” Buffy hid her eye roll and sat back down.


Faith immediately turned the chair in front of her desk around and straddled the seat. “A big producer was at the club the other night and heard my set. She came up to me afterwards and said I wailed and would like me to meet with the head of her recording company! Can you stand it?”


Faith reminded Buffy of the young pickpocket she had hauled into Juvi many years before. She always had that little girl enthusiasm when she got excited. They had come a long way and Faith had slowly worked her way into Buffy’s solitary existence and was like the sister she never had, never wanted, but never had.



“So I had a meeting with them this morning and met with Jared Geffen from Masters’ Records. We talked a little and he took me down to a studio and I recorded my demo in this wicked state of the art sound booth. I’m telling you I think I died and went to heaven.” She literally bubbled with glee.


Buffy listened to everything Faith was saying as she typed on her computer but stopped the instant she heard Spike’s name. “Did you say Masters’ Records?” She asked quietly.


“Yeah, B, why? What’s wrong with signing with the largest, most successful record company on the planet?” She tilted her head questioningly. “Not to mention the hottie that owns said company, oooooh, have you seen him in all his deliciousness. Tight body, great eyes, sharp cheekbones. I’d like to break off a piece of that salty goodness.”


“Ummmm, yeah, he’s great,” and under her breath she whispered, “just peachy.” She turned and met Faith’s eyes who narrowed and then a light went off.


“Holy shit B! You’ve boned my future boss! That’s frickin’ crazy! I can’t believe you’ve gotten horizontal with him.” She flew around the desk.


“We weren’t exactly horizontal at the time, I mean, no I haven’t done THAT with him.” Buffy backpedaled.


“Not yet anyway, by the look in your eye.” Faith’s mischievous grin returned and it looked as if she wanted details.


“He’s a suspect in one of my cases Faith!” Buffy said vehemently.



“What? The girl that was found at the Bronze?”



“How do you know, oh never mind, the news right, of course it’s all over the news, why wouldn’t it be, he’s only the richest man in the whole universe, not to mention hot as you’ve already eluded to…” She continued her rant pacing around the room, pulling at her long tendrils.


Faith captured her friend and made Buffy look her in the eye. “You’ve got it bad, huh?”


“What bad, no I don’t, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Buffy pulled away.

“Okay, well it’s obvious you have a lot on your plate, so I’m gonna bail. If you get a chance I’m singing down at the Soiled Dove tonight, drop by.” She gave her friend one last smirk. “Bring loverboy too.” She laughed all the way out with Buffy cursing behind her.


“Whatever.” She huffed and yelled, “Rosenberg, with me!” Willow grabbed what was left of her pop and skittered out the door following her superior.


At the morgue:


“Subject has cyanosis on various parts of the body and signs of a severe case of endotoxic shock. The weight and height on the subject show signs of being malnourished.” Buffy heard the head coroner say into his recorder as she stepped into the room.


Without looking toward the door, Andrew Tucker addressed Buffy, “So my young padawan, what answers do you seek?”


“Cut the Star Wars crap Andrew and tell me about Harmony Kendall.” Buffy huffed and kept her smile at bay. She had always gotten along with Andrew as much as they could with her being a no-nonsense detective and him, well a geek. Even though Andrew was a geek he was the best coroner she’d come across.


“Patience my young apprentice is a virtue they say.” He smirked talking backward like Yoda because he knew it chapped her hide.


“Patience isn’t my strong suit Andy, but violence, now there’s a virtue.” She smiled gleefully and rubbed her hands together.


“Don't get your underwear bunched, Summers; I’ve done all the work, what’s the problem with subject Kendall?” Andrew took on an exasperated tone.

“What’s your consensus on motive? Why her, why the Bronze? She wasn’t sexually assaulted, but shows scarring associated with abuse. She’s from England and just recently moved here. The MO doesn’t jive with any other murder we’ve had before.” Buffy thought out loud more than anything. Andrew was always good to run theories by.


“Whoever did this to her Lieutenant didn’t know her, but she was left in that nightclub for a reason. Somebody working at that club knows this girl.” Andrew stated matter of factly.


“Somebody working there or somebody that owns it.” She added cryptically and finished her questions.


At the Soiled Dove:


Buffy walked in and looked around at the loud, smoky bar and wondered was possessed her to take Faith up on the offer. ‘I should be in bed.’ She pondered leaving but before she could take the steps to turn Faith was latching on to her.



“Oh B! I’m so glad you came! Jared Geffen and Lilah Morgan are here from the record company! I need your support girl, I’m wicked nervous.” Faith teetered on 6 inch thigh high boots.



“You’ll do great Faith; you don’t have a shy bone in your body.” Buffy laughed and hugged her friend.



“No I don’t, that librarian I dated was the only shy bone I’ve ever had.” She snorted and turned on a heel to head backstage. “I saved a table for you in back, see you!” Faith waved and Buffy looked at a solitary table near the rear. ‘She knows me too well.’


The waitress set Buffy’s drink in front of her and moved back through the crowd.



“I wouldn’t take a drink of that, luv, it looks too green to be non-toxic.” She heard the lull of his accent and whipped her head up.


“You look surprised to see me? Think I’d miss the newest, hot act in Sunnydale? We’re signing her you know.” He moved the seat closer and sat close to Buffy.



“Yeah, I heard something about that. Are you following me?” Buffy eyed him suspiciously and then broke his intense gaze to look back to the stage.



“No, but I’m definitely not going to ignore you. You look tired Lieutenant.” She gave him her attention and saw the worry.



“I’m just waiting for my second wind.” She chuckled low and deep.


“Let’s get out of here, we can find it together.” He leaned close and brushed her ear with is lips.


“Yes.”




He grabbed her hand and Buffy looked at the stage one last time and saw Faith singing at the top of her lungs to a crazy beat. Faith winked and gave her thumbs up.



They climbed into a sleek, blue Aston Martin and after driving a short while, they pulled up at the gates of the biggest house she’d ever seen.



“Who lives here?” She in a quiet voice.



“I do, kitten. Where did you think I lived?” He pushed a button and the gates slid open with ease.



“I guess I just assumed you lived in LA or England.” She replied and realized she hadn’t thought about it.



“I have an apartment in LA and an estate in England, but this is my home. The minute I saw Sunnydale I knew it was where I wanted to lay my first roots.” Spike realized he’d never told anyone that bit of info.



“You’ve never had roots anywhere? Are your parents still in England?” She inquired.



“Didn’t really know my Mum, she left before my fifth birthday, and my Da’, well let’s just say he wasn’t really the fatherly type. He was good for a swift poundin’, but never had time for me. He was too busy hustling and ‘horing to give a damn abou’ his boy.” He looked down and shook his head.



Spike pulled the car to the front of the drive and went around and opened Buffy’s door. He took her hand and pulled her close. She didn’t push away and felt at ease when he kissed her lightly.




“You mesmerize me Lieutenant.” Spike whispered into her hair.



She couldn’t reply and he pulled her through the front door. They walked through an entry way that she swore was bigger than the Sunnydale Federal Bank and up the grand staircase.



They stopped at the elevator and as they waited in silence he drew circles in her palm. When the doors opened he waited for her to step in and pushed the bottom button.



“I hope you don’t mind I thought a quick dip in the pool might be nice.” Spike asked still holding her hand.



“That’s sounds fine.” Buffy knew if she thought too long she would back out and run as fast as she could. She wanted to see how far this would go before she had to.



“I won’t let you run this time, Lieutenant.” She wondered how he knew her so well when they’d only met three days before.



“I know.” She pulled him closer and wrapped her arms around him. She covered her mouth with his and licked his top lip asking for entrance. He opened his mouth and lazily their tongues danced.



The door binged and slid open to reveal an indoor Shangri-La. Buffy stepped out and gaped at the beautiful interior of what was more than just a pool. “I’ve never seen anything so beautiful.” She whispered.




“Well, that must be rectified immediately. We'll take a trip to Fiji or Thailand, pet. I’ll show you the world if you’ll let me.” He held her from behind and breathed in her scent. Vanilla and sugar, he knew he’d never be able to reproduce anything so uniquely Buffy.



“Show me your bedroom, Spike.”





I know, I know, I’m the most evil person on the planet, but I had to get more of the plot out and I needed to tell you the identity of the victim right? Harmony you say? Yes, never liked the b%&^* and she deserved to die… just kidding. Anyway, she didn’t fit into the story anywhere so why not have her dead? Her and Spike’s history will come out in the next chapter, but before that how about some smut? Thanks for the reviews!