Author's Chapter Notes:
Buffy and Angel belongs to the one and only JW. JD ROBB, the frickin best book series in the world, belongs to Nora Roberts (not the sappy love stories you're used to.)
Chapter Six:





Buffy stared at him and felt her heart drop.



“Do you know her, Spike?” She finally was able to speak out loud. "Do you know Harmony Kendall?"



A single tear dropped from his face, “It couldn’t be her, Buffy she lives back home. It can’t be her.” He stood frozen and Buffy realized he might be in shock.



“What is your relationship to the victim, Mr. Masters?” Buffy took control and dashed for the recorder in her jacket.




“I…, um…, she’s an old friend…, I knew her when…, um, we were kids...” He stumbled and sank onto the bed. "It can't be her."




Wanting to run and comfort him but knowing she needed to get their connection recorded for her file, she continued.



“We verified her prints and DNA. It's her." She paused and then asked. “When was the last time you saw Ms. Kendall alive.”



Spike snapped his head up and met her eyes, “I haven’t seen her since I was ten, Lieutenant Summers, but we’ve kept in touch by email and calls. We never have made it a point to see each other in person. Too much history for that.” He narrowed his eyes, “I didn’t have that kind of relationship with her, she’s like my little sister.”



“A sister that you don’t see? What exactly is your history with Ms. Kendall?” Buffy made a point in keeping the interrogation formal without their feelings coming into play.



“I don’t see her because.., I don’t see her..., well damn it, it’s just too hard for both of us.” He tried to keep his eyes level, but they swam with emotion once more.




Buffy saw him struggle to keep control and grabbed a chair to drag over near the bed.



“Why is it hard?” She asked warring between wanting to know and not.



“It’s hard because we remind each other of a life that we escaped and have tried to bury.” The past would always haunt him and he knew when he least expected it would come back to get him once and for all. He couldn’t let that happen. He couldn’t let his father win.



“I don’t understand what did you try to bury?”


“Is this a formal interview Lieutenant, do I need counsel present?” His bravado was back.



“Not if you don't want counsel, we’re just talking.” She didn’t want him to shut down; she needed to prove his innocence, for herself more than anyone. “I’ll have to make the interview more formal, but for now why don’t you tell me a little more about the last time you talked with Harmony.” She didn't push their past anymore.




He eyed her warily and took a huge leap and decided to trust her. “I spoke with her about a year ago when she was accepted into the Master’s program at Cambridge. She’d gotten a fellowship and called to tell me her good news. Before you wonder, I’ve been giving her money for schooling, room and board, extra expenses, and vacations I sent her on every six months.” He explained when she quirked her eyebrow.



“She wanted to tell me how well she was doing and rub it in my face that one day she’d be richer than I was.” He paused and continued, “We laughed and I told her I had a conference call to take, and we said goodbye. That was last August, and I hadn’t touched base with her figuring she was busy.”




He instantly regretted that and could never right the wrong of not knowing what was going on in Harmony’s life at the time of her death. Was she in trouble? On drugs? He'd never know.




“What was she doing here? Why was she in the States? She never emailed or said anything about her coming across the pond. She couldn’t have already finished her degree; she’d barely been in school for a little more than a year.” Spike looked up at her.




“Well she transferred from Cambridge to Stanford when she received a prestigious offer from a firm here in LA. Ms. Kendall was working for them off and on for the last 8 months or so.” Buffy remembered from Harmony’s file. “She had made a great impression and had already accepted an offer from the firm to stay on after her Master’s was completed.”




“I just can’t believe it was her lying on that cold floor, I never asked to see her. I could have recognized her I’m sure.” He bowed his head. Why hadn't he asked to see the victim? He couldn't remember the reason now, just assumed he wouldn't know the girl.




“I’d like to give her a proper burial; she doesn’t have any kin left back in Liverpool. How soon will her body be released?” He stood up, went to the bar, and poured two fingers of scotch.




Still digesting the information she delicately said, “I’m going to have to interview you again about your relationship with Harmony, but I’ll give you tonight because I see this is a difficult time for you. I’ll let you know when the body will be released.” She stood up to go.



Buffy knew she would have to ask the tough questions later, it was much too early after the news of his loss. She hoped he remembered his comments about being cooperative, but knew the news about Harmony was devastating. She knew he loved her, it was obvious, but what was the nature of their relationship? She had a million questions, but refused to push him anymore tonight.



“Buffy, stay.”



“I can’t. I have to go to LA in the morning”. She paused momentarily, slid on her jacket, and headed for the elevator. “I’ll show myself out.”



“Who did she work for in LA? You never said.” He mumbled before she left.



“Um, she worked for a firm called, Wolfram and Hart, I think.” She glanced his way as the elevator slid open. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” And she was gone.



“Wolfram and Hart…, Angelus…, damn you.” The glass shattered against the wall.




************************************************************
OOOOO, how does Spike know Angelus? Stay tuned to find out... Thanks so much for all the reviews I'm glad someone likes the story, I know I'm having fun writing it.