Ch. 3: Chocolate and Cherries

The ride back to Buffy’s house was quiet, embarrassment and stifled giggles were making for a mixed yet tense atmosphere.

Buffy couldn’t figure out how William felt--whether he regretted their actions or not. They’d both been thoroughly flustered when the police officer asked to see their IDs. They were escorted back to the car and then closely watched as they drove out of the park. She thought the whole situation was rather absurd, but William’s face was still bright red from shame; she wondered if he felt corrupted by the whole affair and wanted nothing more to do with her. She bit her lip and peeked at him. His knuckles were white as they clenched the steering wheel. She turned away to watch the houses go by and figure out how to act next.

William glanced over at Buffy and saw her fidgeting. He sighed lightly, wondering if she were now reconsidering their actions. His body was still thrumming with desire, with the feel of her body against his, and it was all he could do to drive home safely and not pull over her to kiss and stroke and lick every inch of her skin. He tried to concentrate on getting home and figured he’d let her dictate what would happen next; he just wasn’t quite ready to be rejected.

They finally pulled into Buffy’s driveway. Buffy noted that it was empty, which meant her mom really was making it a late night. She tried to hide her excitement at having more time alone with William and leapt out of the car.

William tried not to let his heart crash too hard as he saw Buffy eagerly scramble out of his car. He turned off the engine and followed her to the door.

Buffy entered the house and waited for William to enter after her. She paused, wondering what to do now. Would it be too forward if she jumped right to it? Attacked him while he was still looking around with that shy, slightly embarrassed look on his face? She decided those tactics might be too aggressive, and she didn't want William to think she was only into him for physical release. She walked towards the living room and then turned towards William, who was closing the door.

"Do you want something to drink? Hot chocolate? Tea? Water?" she asked, trying to make him comfortable.

"Um, I guess hot chocolate would be nice. Are you going to have something?" he leisurely walked towards the couch and then sat down.

"Yeah, I'll have something. Go ahead and sit. You can turn on the TV while you wait. I'll be just a minute." She handed him the remote and then headed to the kitchen. She heard him begin to channel surf and put some hot water on the stove. While waiting for the water to boil, she checked the refrigerator and discovered some Cherry Garcia. Popping her head out of the kitchen, she yelled, "Do you want some ice cream?"

"No, I'm good. Thanks." William smiled as he watched her bounce back into the kitchen. Things seemed to be back to normal--which was great in that there was less tension, but not great in that there was less kissing. He looked at the TV indifferently, watching the various shows zip by as they reminded him that nothing good was ever on on a Saturday night.

Buffy quickly made the hot chocolate and then grabbed the mug, the pint of Ben and Jerry's, and a spoon and headed out.

"Here ya go. Probably not as good as my mom's, but I tried." She grinned as she handed him the steaming hot mug.

"I'm sure it's delicious." He smiled back as he reached for it. Their hands touched briefly, but William couldn't quite look her in the eyes yet. He just relished the feel of their brief contact and then blew on the hot beverage.

She sat down next to him, tucking her legs under her and letting her knees brush up against him. "Whatcha watchin?" she asked as she took her first bite of ice cream.

"There's nothing much on. Just reruns and old movies. You want?" He handed her the remote control, which she refused.

"No, you can keep it. Maybe put on MTV or VH1? We could just watch some music videos or something. You know, background music and stuff."

He flipped to the music channels and sat back to drink his cocoa. His channel surfing had been a way for him to release his nervousness in having her so close and not being able to touch her--before it hadn't been a big deal, but now that he'd experienced holding her, kissing, her...it was killing him not to do something, but his fear of rejection choked him--and so he did nothing but sit erect and hope. He put all his energy in to drinking his cocoa and pretended to be thoroughly absorbed by the stupid veejay introducing the next video. Who it was, what song it was--he couldn't tell you. But he was damned if he'd let on how anxious he was.

They waited for the useless commentary to end and the music video to begin, and Buffy digging into her ice cream. Buffy was enjoying the cherries, but she was still deliberating on how to approach William. It was hard to imagine that just moments ago they were on top of each other, tasting each other and feeling each other--and for the first time! Did he not want more? Did he not ache with desire the way she did now that they'd actually crossed the lines of friendship? How could he sit there and sip his cocoa and look as though this were just another night of platonic conversations and suppressed feelings?

They both paused in mid-action when a sensual beat and luxurious piano began to play, dark shadows of gyrating images beginning to appear on screen. The beat was pulsing and erotic, the singer using the music to tantalize the innumerable viewers into watching and wanting and lusting, the way those in the video were surrounding her and ogling. The sex was oozing with every rhythmic throb and piano lick.

Both were transfixed by the tempting images; Buffy was entranced, her spoon of ice cream pausing en route. She kept her eyes on the screen and moved the spoon towards her mouth, only to get half in her mouth and the other half on her cheek. She gasped at the chill on her cheek and her own carelessness. Cursing, she looked around for her napkin, when she felt William's hand on her arm.

As she turned towards him, William reached forward to brush away the ice cream with his thumb. She caught it before he could move away and began gently sucking on it. He moved forward as she surrounded his finger with her tongue, and soon his mouth was on hers. Finally, skin on skin, they gave in to the urges that had been buzzing through their bodies since they had first pulled away in the park.

She thrilled at the warmth of his mouth, her own chilled by the ice cream. The faint taste of cocoa was in his mouth, mixing her own sweet taste of cherries. Their hot and cold tongues melted against each other lazily, tasting each other.

"God, you taste so good," William breathed, kissing her between breaths and pulling her closer.

Buffy smiled and pulled away for a little, just to put down her ice cream and take away his mug, and then she drew close again. "You taste delicious," she purred. "Chocolate and cherries...mmmmm." She kissed him again.

He slid his hands down her waist to settle her on his lap again. As they kissed, he began caressing her sides, his hands becoming more daring with each movement. Eventually he brushed his thumb against her breast, and Buffy moaned into his mouth. She straddled him and began rubbing her sex against him, her hands threading through his hair and playing with his ears.

He began kissing her neck, and Buffy threw back her head, allowing him room to play. Her shirt slid down her shoulder, and he began using his tongue to push down the shirt further. Gone was William's shy exterior; his mind was so addled with lust that the only thing clear to him was his desire to taste every inch of her golden skin. He was so overwhelmed with this desire that he didn't hear the keys jingle in the door.

Buffy did, however, and jumped off of him and onto the couch, smoothing her hair and licking her lips. William looked utterly confused, his mouth still in the shape of a kiss, but soon his mouth opened in shock as he heard the door open.

"Hi, Mom!" Buffy chirped, reaching again for her ice cream and attempting to look composed and relaxed in front of the tv.

"Hey, honey. Hello, William. Did you guys enjoy the restaurant?" Mrs. Summers asked as she entered the living room. She raised an eyebrow at Buffy's flushed face and William's glazed look but said nothing.

"Oh, yeah! Dinner was great. Very yummy." Buffy smiled brightly, as if nothing seemed out of place.

"Well, I'm tired. I'm going to bed now, and I don’t want you staying up too late. Don't keep William out too late, either. It's almost midnight. Not past then, okay?" Joyce said her words lightly, but Buffy could read the warning. She grimaced slightly at her mother's implication and then agreed quickly.

They both watched her mother walk up the stairs and waited for her door to close.

Buffy then flooped back onto the couch, no longer able to pretend anymore.

"Oh, shit! Why does this keep happening?" she moaned. She sighed loudly and dumped her ice cream back onto the table. Tucking her legs under her, she turned to William. "I'm really sorry."

"Sorry?" His face dropped, and he began fidgeting with his shirt tails. "Uh, yeah. I guess we shouldn’t have--"

Buffy quickly sidled next to him and pulled his hands into hers. "No, I'm not sorry we, well, you know." She stared into his eyes. "I'm sorry we keep getting interrupted. It's so frustrating--actually, it's fucking ridiculous--and now you're going to have to go home because my mom's gonna wait for me to go to my room. God, college is so much less restricting." She began stroking his fingers reassuringly.

William smiled shyly and squeezed her hands. "I'm glad you don't regret it. I was really scared for a moment." They held each other's hands for a moment and simply enjoyed each other's warmth.

"Hey, I have an idea! If you're willing, that is." She bounced a little, her idea brightening her smile. "What if you drove me back to school instead of my taking the train? It's only two hours. You could see my dorm and maybe meet my friends and then we could spend some time alone in my room." She looked at him expectantly, waiting for his answer.

"Do you, I mean, would you like that?" His eyes were wide with her implication.

"I do. Would you be able to say you were staying at a friend's house or something, though? My mom's thingy doesn't end till after dinner, so unless you're willing to drive home in the middle of the night, it might be a little tricky."

"I could say I was staying at Xander's. That's not a big deal at all. And I'd love to, if you--"

"I do. William, I've always liked you--so much. You've always been such a good friend to me, and I was just afraid of losing that. When I was planning on coming home, I decided to take the chance; I wouldn't have to see you immediately if you rejected me. But you didn't." She kissed him lightly. "And now I feel like we have all this catching up to do, all this stuff I want to talk about and do." Buffy blushed slightly at her own forwardness.

She looked so cute, and William leaned forward and kissed her deeply. He rested his forehead on hers. "I would love to. I can barely believe all this, and if I actually see you tomorrow, maybe I'll realize it's not just a dream."

Buffy chuckled and then hugged him, loving the strength of his body against hers. Then she stood up and reached for his hand. "Come on. Mom's probably listening for the door. You want to come by the gallery shindig? Free food," she added, trying to entice him.

"Yeah, if you want--" he stopped himself as she rolled her eyes. "Yes. Yes, I would love to." He smiled and began walking towards the door.

"Okay. Meet me there at 7--that way you skip all the boring stuff. You have to wear a tie, though. I'll pack and everything beforehand so that we can go straight from there. That sound good?" She opened the door and leaned on it, looking up at his blue eyes.

"That sounds great." He leaned in to kiss her one more time, still enjoying every touch and sound. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow. Sweet dreams," she whispered, kissing him right by his ear.

Shivers ran through his body, and he shoved his hands into his pockets. "Sweet dreams, indeed." He smiled again and then walked to his car.

After watching his car leave, she ran up to her room and flopped onto her bed. Grabbing Mr. Gordo, she relived the entire night. Buffy pressed her hands against her cheek, feeling their coldness against her heated skin as she thought about their passion in the park and again on the couch. She closed her eyes, imagining what tomorrow might bring, and smiled.