Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys, sorry about the delay in updates. I've had a lot of stuff going on, and haven't been able to get any writing done. To compensate you, I'm going to post the rest of this story, hope you like it.
Chapter four


Sunnydale, present time


Spike looked at the clock for what must have been the hundred and fiftieth time that day, and it was only 10.30 a.m. He had been at the book store for less than two hours, but it felt like much more. Willow was going to the airport to pick Buffy up at one p.m. and they were all going out to dinner that night at Valentino’s, the best Italian restaurant in Sunnydale. It was also the only Italian restaurant in the town. Spike wasn’t sure how he felt about that.

Valentino’s was the restaurant he had taken Buffy to on their one month anniversary.

He still remembered that day as it had been yesterday.


Sunnydale, 1997


Spike stopped the car outside Buffy’s house. He didn’t get out, though, instead he leaned back against the car seat.

He, Spike Giles, bad boy of Sunnydale, was nervous. Why, he didn’t know. He had never been nervous when it came to Dru. ‘But this is different’ a little voice said inside his head ‘you’re in love with her’. For a second, the thought frightened him. Sure, he had been in love with Dru, or at least he thought he had been at the time, but that hadn’t exactly ended well. Could he risk getting hurt like that again? The question was answered almost before he had thought it. Of course he could, and he would. He couldn’t go through life being afraid of getting hurt all the time. What kind of life would that be?

Having finished his line of thoughts, Spike opened the car door and walked up the drive to Buffy’s house. He rung the bell, and the door was opened almost instantly.

“Hi Spike.” The voice belonged to Buffy’s fifteen-year-old little sister, Dawn.

“Hey bit. Is big sis ready yet?” Spike asked and walked into the house when Dawn stepped aside.

“Of course not.” Dawn replied, closing the door behind him. “That would mean she’d be on time, which she is physically incapable of.”

“I am so not!” Buffy complained, coming down the stairs just in time to hear her sister. Spike couldn’t do anything but stare at her. She looked amazing in a knee length, black dress which accentuated her curves.

“OK, Buffy, whatever you say.” Dawn said, rolling her eyes before she walked into the living room and turned the TV on. “Don’t stay out too late.” She called into the hallway.

“Sure thing, MOM.” Buffy replied, putting her jacket on. “Let’s go.”

Buffy opened the door and Spike followed her out. On the porch she stopped to close the door, before she pulled him down for a kiss.

“Hello.” She said, pulling away from him and smiling. Spike responded by pressing her up against the house, attacking her mouth again. After a moment he pulled back, leaving them both panting for air.

“Hey.” He said, looking her deep in the eyes, seeing the lust and need in his own eyes reflected in hers. There had been a lot of kissing and making out between them in the past month, but not more than that. He was pretty sure that she was still a virgin, and he wanted her first time, and their first time together, to be special. “We should get going, I made a reservation for eight and we don’t wanna be late.” He said, and she followed him to the car.

“Where are we going?” She asked when he got in the drivers seat and started the car.

“That, my dear, is a surprise.” He said, a secretive smile on his lips.

“What kind of surprise?” She asked curiously.

“The kind where I don’t actually tell you what it is.” Spike replied, determined not to tell her.

“But I don’t like surprises.” Buffy said, pouting. Spike had to use all his strength not to pull the car over and ravish her.

“Yes you do.” He argued.

“Well, I like the surprise part, but I hate the waiting.” She complained.

“You won’t have to wait long, we’ll be there in a couple of minutes.” Spike revealed.

“OK, so we’re going somewhere in Sunnydale then.” Buffy thought out loud. “There aren’t really a lot of nice places here, though. You are taking me somewhere nice, right?”

“Of course, pet.” Spike chuckled at her insecurity. “Only the best for my girl.”

“Would ‘the best’ involve some kind of present?” She asked, looking at him from beneath lowered lashes.

“You’ll just have to wait and see, won’t you?” He teased her and she playfully slapped him.

“Don’t tease me!” She said, turning her attention to where they were. “OK, we’re downtown, not far from the docks, I don’t think there are any restaurants around here.” She glanced at him out of the corner of one eye.

“Not saying a word.” Spike said, shaking his head.

“You’re no fun!” Buffy announced before she clapped her hands together. “I know, Valentino’s! You’re taking me to Valentino’s!”

Valentino’s was a new, Italian restaurant, and it was very ‘in’ amoung the richer inhabitants of Sunnydale.

“Fine, you got me, we’re going to Valentino’s.” Spike admitted, pulling in to the parking lot of the restaurant.

“Thank you thank you thank you!” Buffy threw her arms around him as soon as he stopped the car. “I’ve been wanting to go here for, like, forever.”

“Buffy, love, the place only opened a few weeks ago.” Spike pointed out, earning a scowl.

“I know that, it’s just a figure of speech.” She said, reaching to open the car door.

“Wait, don’t move.” Spike jumped out of the car, rushed around it before and opened the door before Buffy had a chance to. “Milady.” He offered Buffy his arm and helped her out of the car.

“I didn’t know you could be all gentlemanly.” Buffy said as they walked into the restaurant.

“Well, I was raised British after all.” Spike replied before turning a waiter. “We have a reservation for two, Giles.”

The man checked their name off a list.

“Follow me please.” He led them through the restaurant to a table by the window where they could look out over the darkening ocean. There were lit candles on the table and the waiter pulled out the chair for Buffy.

“Thank you.” She said, sitting down. Spike took his seat opposite her and they both accepter the menus the waiter offered them.

“This place is amazing.” Buffy whispered when the waiter had left them. “Are you sure you can afford this?”

“Like I said, only the best for my girl.” Spike reassured her. Truth was, he had borrowed some money from his dad, but she didn’t need to know that. The important thing was that she had a good time, and he was going to make sure she did.

“Everything sounds delicious.” Buffy said, trying to decide what to order.

“It sure does.” Spike agreed. “I think I’ll have the penne with artichokes and shrimp.”

“Yeah, that sounds great, but I think I’ll order the chicken scarpariello.” Buffy said, closing her menu. “But I’ll be sampling your food, just so you know.”

The waiter returned and they ordered their food.

“So, do you have some other surprise planned, or can I relax now?” Buffy asked, leaning back in her chair.

“I thought we’d go to the Bronze later, do some dancing.” Spike revealed, reaching in his pocket for the jewellery box. “And this.” He placed the box on the table between them and Buffy eyed it suspiciously. “It’s not gonna bite you.” Spike said, chuckling.

“I know, it’s just... it looks kind of expensive.” Buffy explained. “I only go you this.” She took a present out of her purse and gave it to him. “It’s nothing special.”

“Anything from you is special.” Spike said, unwrapping the gift and revealing a Sex Pistols CD. “I don’t have this one, how did you know that?” He said, leaning over the table to giver her a kiss.

“I snooped.” She admitted, blushing. “I just wanted to get you something you’d like.”

“Are you kidding, I love it.” Spike said. “Now open yours.”

Buffy carefully removed the wrapping paper and looked at the black box for a few seconds before opening it. When she saw what was inside, her hand flew to her mouth.

“It’s beautiful, I love it.” She took the gold, heart shaped medallion out of the box. “Put it on for me?” He fastened the chain around her neck and she pulled up a mirror. “Oh, thank you so much.” She gave him a kiss that quickly turned deeper. They pulled apart when the waiter came back with their drinks.

*****

Later that night Buffy and Spike were dancing at the Bronze. After a delicious meal at Valentino’s before continuing to the club where they had met their friends. Now, hours later, the club was about to close.

Buffy leaned her head against Spike’s shoulder, the music pulsating through their bodies. Spike ran his hands over her back, pulling her closer. A quiet moan escaped her lips, and he quickly silenced it with a kiss that deepened fast. When the music ended, they pulled apart, staring into each other’s eyes. Spike took Buffy’s hand, interlacing their fingers and went in search of their friends.

“Hey, guys, we’re gonna take off.” He said, finding Xander and Anya at a table.

OK, night.” Xander said.

“Have fun.” Anya said. Buffy and Spike walked towards the exit, and were about to leave the club when Anya called after them. “And many orgasms.” Buffy looked up at Spike before quickly turning her attention to the ground. They walked in silence to his car, and he opened the door for her.

“I had a really good time tonight.” She said before gettin in, giving him a quick kiss.

“So did I.” He said before walking around the car and getting into the drivers seat. Before he could react, Buffy attacked his mouth with her and wrapped her arms around his neck as much as she could in the limited space.

Spike immediately responded to the kiss, pulling her closer. She moaned into his mouth and he used the opportunity to slip his tongue in to battle with hers. When she somehow managed to move from the passenger seat and over to his so she was straddling his hips, he thanked a higher power that he had parked in the alley behind the club.

Their hands were everywhere, pulling on clothes and caressing every accessible area of exposed skin. Spike was getting lost in the sensation of having her so close to him when she felt her hand reach between them to the zipper in his pants. He quickly grabbed her hand and pulled away from her.

“No.” He said, trying to catch his breath.

“No? What... why...” She panted, tears slowly forming in her eyes. “You don’t want me.” She tried to get back in her seat, but he grabbed her by the hips, pressing her against him so she could feel exactly what she was doing to him.

“Does this feel like I don’t want you?” He asked, pulling her down for a light kiss.

“I don’t understand.” Buffy said as they pulled apart.

“Not here and not like this.” He said, gesturing to the car. “I want it to be special.”

“OK, you do remember that you’re the guy in this relationship, right?” Buffy asked, giggling a little.

“I know.” He said, stroking a stand of hair from her face. “It’s just... I think... I love you.” He expected her to pull away from him, but instead she kissed him again.

“Well that’s good, cause I think I kinda love you too.” She said, and Spike felt like the butterflies that had inhabited his stomach for the better part of the evening were doing somersaults. He returned the kiss before pulling away again.

“OK, I’m gonna take you home before I start to rething my noble approach.” She giggled and got back in her seat as he started the car.


Sunnydale, present time


Spike was pulled out of his walk down memory lane by the bell above the door of the store. Usually he enjoyed working in the small book store he had bought two years earlier, but today he only wanted the time to pass so he could go home. He looked at the clock again. 10.45. How was he ever going to get through the day at this speed?