Chapter six


Sunnydale, present time


Spike locked up the front of the store and turned the key that pulled down the metal bars protecting the windows. Before walking out through the back door, he turned the security alarm on. When he had first moved to Sunnydale, ten years earlier, the people of the town would have laughed if someone had told them that they would need bars and alarms to keep people from robbing their stores. But crime had come to even the small town of Sunnydale.

Since Spike had closed the store a little earlier to get ready for the dinner, there were still a lot of people out in the streets. Not that the streets being abandoned it would have stopped him from walking home. Spike lived less than ten minutes from the store, and he walked there and home every day of the year, in snowstorms as well as blistering heat.

Checking his watch, he realized he was running a little late and that it was already six thirty. They were meeting at the restaurant at eight, and he wanted to take a shower a relax a little before. Quickening his paces, he walked down Main Street, stopping in front a small store called ‘April Fools’ which sold formal wear. Spike smiled when he saw the tuxes and dresses on display in the window, and remembered his high school prom seven years earlier.


Sunnydale, 1998


“Would you hurry up, man, the limo’ll be here in a few minutes!” Spike yelled through the bathroom door. He, Xander and Oz were getting ready at his place before picking up the girls and, to Spike’s dislike, Angel and his current girlfriend Darla. In the past few months, Angel had almost become a part of their little gang, and Spike wasn’t happy about it. He was sure that Angel still had a thing for Buffy and that he was just biding his time before he could make a move.

“Calm down already!” Xander said, opening the door to the bathroom. “I’m done.”

“You take longer than a girl, you know that?” Spike complained.

“Yes, but I look pretty.” Xander replied.

“Limo’s here.” Oz called from downstairs and Spike and Xander made their way down.

“Are we ready to go get our girls?” Oz asked, and Spike nodded.

“And Angel and Darla, don’t forget them.” Xander added and Spike frowned.

“I still don’t get why they have to go with us.” He said.

“Because we couldn’t afford the limo by ourselves.” Oz reminded him.

“And we don’t have to hang out with them at the prom, only for the drive there.” Xander comforted. “I don’t like him any more than you.”

“OK, let’s get the show on the road.” Oz said, and led the way out the door and down the driveway where the limo driver opened the car door for them. They got in and looked around the spacious area as the driver pulled out from the curb.

“Do we have to go to the prom?” Xander asked, finding the remote to the small built in TV. “I could stay here all night.”

“I don’t think the girls would agree.” Oz said reasonably.

“Yeah, I think they’re pretty set on going to the dance, man.” Spike agreed.

“Oh, fine, spoil my fun.” Xander said. He pressed a button on the remote and almost dropped it when the wall that separated the driver’s area from the passengers slid down.

“We’re here, guys.” The driver said before getting out of the car. Spike, Xander and Oz did the same and found themselves in front of Buffy’s house. The driver closed the car door behind them and leaned against the limo.

“Thanks, this will probably take a little while.” Spike said, and the driver nodded.

“No problem.”

Spike, Xander and Oz walked up to the house and Spike rang the bell. Within a few seconds the door was opened by Buffy’s mother.

“Hello, boys, don’t you look handsome.” She said, stepping aside to let them in.

“Thank you, Mrs. Summers.” Spike said.

“How many times do I have to tell you to call me Joyce?” She asked. “And that goes for all of you.”

“Thanks, Joyce.” Xander said, closing the door. “Where’re the girls?”

“Here!” They heard from upstairs, and everyone turned to see Buffy, Willow and Anya walk down the stairs. All any of the guys could do was stare. Buffy was wearing a light pink, strapless dress with tiny rhine stones embroided on the bodice. Willow had chosen a dark green dress which brought out her red hair perfectly. Anya’s dress was a black halter with a slit that came up to mid thigh.

“Wow!” Spike, Xander and Oz exclaimed in unison and the girls smiled.

“You look amazing.” Spike said, giving Buffy a kiss.

“You don’t look too bad yourself.” She replied. “I didn’t even know you owned a tux.”

“I’m full of surprises, love.” He countered.

“Don’t I know it.”

“Come on, I want to get some pictures.” Joyce said, holding up a camera. “Hank, come here, look at the kids!” She called into the other room.

“Oh, wait, we need these first.” Xander said, holding up a corsage. Spike and Oz got theirs out too and the girls put them on.

“OK, smile everyone.” Joyce said, snapping a picture just as Hank walked into the hallway.

“Well well well. Don’t you kids just look wonderful?” He said, giving his daughter a kiss on the cheek. “Have fun tonight, OK?” They all nodded. “And everyone’s staying at Willow’s tonight, right?”

“Yes, Mr. Summers, we’re all staying at my place.” Willow said. Her parents were out of town so the gang had decided to have a slumber party after the prom.

“We should probably get going.” Spike said, checking his watch. “It’s already started.”

“The fashionable people are always late.” Anya said. “Right, Xander.”

“Of course, honey.” Xander replied, getting raised eyebrows from Spike and Oz. “But if the fashionable people don’t leave soon, they’ll miss the entire dance.”

“Bye, sweetie, call when you want us to pick you up tomorrow, OK?” Joyce said, hugging Buffy goodbye.

“Bye mom, bye dad.” Buffy said.

“Bye Mr. Summers, bye Mrs. Summers.” The others said in chorus before they all walked out of the house. Angel and Darla were already waiting for them by the limo.

“What took so long?” Angel asked. “We’ve been waiting for, like, five minutes.”

“Sorry, picture moment.” Buffy explained and they all got in the limo.

*****

“Wow, the gym looks so different.” Willow said as the group walked into the gymnasium where the dance was held. Spike had to agree with her. There was a band and people were dancing. Against one wall a table was set up filled with punch and snacks. Something glittering covered the floor and there were balloons everywhere.

“Do you want something to drink?” Spike asked, and Buffy nodded.

“Why don’t we get a table if you guys get drinks?” She suggested, and everyone agreed.

Spike headed for the snack table along with Xander, Oz and, unfortunately, Angel. They hadn’t been able to ditch him and Darla yet. They all poured drinks for themselves and their dates, and then Angel pulled a flask from his pocket.

“What’re you doing, man?” Xander asked.

“Just living things up a little.” Angel replied, pouring a generous amount of liquid into his two glasses. “You want?”

“Are you trying to get us thrown out?” Spike asked.

“Relax, no one will notice.” Angel shrugged. “It’s just to make the girls a little more... co-operative.”

“Well, maybe you need to get your girlfriend drunk so she’ll ‘co-operate’.” Oz said, airquoting. “But we don’t want a part of it.”

“Oh, fine, be boring.” Angel said, putting the flask away and walked towards the table that the girls had found. Spike, Xander and Oz followed after exchanging a look.

*****

“Thank God we could finally shake them.” Xander said about an hour later. Angel had met some of his friends and he and Darla had joined their table instead.

“I don’t get why you don’t like him.” Anya said to her boyfriend. “He’s a nice guy.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, I guess I’m still a little hung up on the fact that he bullied me for eleven years!” Xander replied.

“But he’s a lot nicer now.” Willow said. She, Xander and Angel were all born and raised in Sunnydale, and had been going to the same school since first grade.

“That doesn’t really say much.” Spike mumbled.

“Can’t you just drop the ‘we hate Angel campain’ for tonight?” Buffy asked.

“Sorry, baby, I know you guys are friends.” Spike said.

“No, it’s OK, I don’t really like him all that much either.” Buffy admitted. “But we’re not here to talk about Angel, are we?” Everyone agreed.

“I can’t believe this might be the last time we’re all together before graduation.” Willow said, vocalizing what everyone was thinking.

“I know. It’s like the end of an era.” Xander said, getting weird looks from the others. “Well, a really short era, but still.”

“It’s not really the end though, is it?” Anya said. “I mean, we’re all going to Sunny U in the fall, we’ll still see each other.”

“But it won’t be the same!” Buffy said. “We’ll be taking different courses and stuff. At least me and Willow will be living together.” Buffy’s parents and little sister were moving back to California in August, Mr. Summers had been re-located back to the LA office, so Buffy was going to live on campus with Willow.

“I still say we should find a house that we could all live in.” Spike said. He wanted to be as close to Buffy as he could, and now they would probably live in different dorms. He was rooming with Oz while Xander and Anya had decided to keep living at home.

“But then we wouldn’t get the entire college experience.” Buffy explained. “And besides, this way we can switch if we want.” She added, leaning in to get a kiss which Spike was happy to supply.

“OK, that’s a plus.” He admitted, pulling Buffy closer to deepen the kiss, earning hemmings from their friends. Reluctantly they pulled apart and Spike glared at Xander.

“There will be plenty of time for that later.” Xander said. “Now, let’s dance!”


Sunnydale, present time


Spike started walking down the street again. They had danced for hours at the prom before heading to Willow’s where they spent the night watching old movies and eating ice cream. He still remembered every detail of that day, even seven years later. They had been happy then, before it all had come crumbling down.