Chapter eight


“Hey, man, what just happened?” Xander asked, sitting down on one side of Spike, Oz taking the stool on the other side.

“Nothing. Just... I gotta go.” Spike said, sliding off the chair. He walked out of the Bronze without looking back and headed straight home.

****

“Where’d Spike go?” Willow asked as she, Buffy and Anya joined Xander and Oz at the bar.

“He took off, said he had to go.” Xander said. “What’s going on?” He continued, discovering Buffy’s red eyes.

“Oz, could you take Buffy home?” Willow asked her boyfriend, ignoring Xander’s question. “I have some bones to pick with Spike.”

“Sure.” Oz said, putting an arm around Buffy and escorting her out of the club.

“Will someone tell me what’s going on?” Xander asked.

“It’s not really my place, Xander.” Willow said. “Look, we’ll see you tomorrow, OK, Buffy can explain then.” With that, she turned and walked out of the club.

*****

Spike slammed the door to his apartment shut behind him and walked into the living room where he slumped down on the couch. What the hell had she been playing at? Did she think that he would magically have forgotten what had happened, what she had done? He would never forget that day for as long as he lived.


Sunnydale, 1998


Spike knew the moment he closed the door to Buffy’s house behind him that he had made a mistake. For a second he considered going back in, but decided that they both needed some time to calm down before they talked again.

He got into his car and pulled out from Buffy’s driveway, thinking about what she had just told him. Pregnant. A baby. His and Buffy’s baby. Would that be such a bad thing? Sure, they wouldn’t be able to live the way they had planned to, but when did plans ever work out anyway?

The more he thought about it, the more it seemed like they could do it. They could get an apartment together, he’d find a job and go to college at night. It would work out.

Spike kept driving without much of a goal or direction. After an hour and a half he found himself at the beach. He got out of the car and walked down onto the sand. Sitting down, he watched the waves move, not realizing that it was getting late.

When the sun started to set, Spike checked his watch. It had been almost five hours since he left Buffy’s house. He really needed to get back and talk to her.

The drive back to Sunnydale seemed to take forever, but finally he pulled up in front of Buffy’s house. He got out of the car and went up to the door, ringing the bell. No answer. He knocked hard a couple of times, but still nothing.

“You looking for Buffy?” Spike turned at Angel’s voice behind him.

“Yeah.” He said, not ellaborating.

“I thought you’d be at the hospital.” Angel said, getting Spike’s attention.

“Is Buffy in the hospital? Is something wrong?” He asked, feeling panic creep up on him.

“You don’t know?” Angel asked.

“Just tell me what’s going on.” Spike said between gritted teeth.

“I thought you knew.” Angel said, frowning. “She had an abortion this afternoon.”

Spike felt like the world had fallen away. She’d had an abortion? Why would she do that?

“Are... are you sure?” He asked shakily.

“I drove her and Willow there myself earlier.”” Angel replied. “I’m just on my way to pick them up, actually. You wanna go with me?”

“No.” Spike said, walking away from the house, not once looking back at Angel.


Sunnydale, present time


Spike got pulled out of his memory by a hard knock.

“What the hell is the matter with you?” Willow yelled as soon as he opened the door.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Spike said, walking back into the living room followed by a very pissed off red head.

“Oh you know exactly what I’m talking about.” Willow said. “Why would you say something like that to her?”

“It’s true, isn’t it?” He countered.

“How can you think that? It wasn’t her fault!” Willow replied.

“Of course it was, she got rid of it!” Spike yelled.

“No she didn’t!” Willow yelled back. They were both quiet for a moment, realizing what the other had said.

“What do you mean she didn’t?” Spike finally asked.

“What do you mean she did?” Willow asked back.

“I asked you first.” Spike said.

“What are you, five?” Willow questioned. Spike decided to

“She had the abortion, didn’t she?” Spike said. “Angel told me.”

“Angel told you what?” Willow said. “And you believed him?”

“Why wouldn’t I?” Spike asked. “He was there.”

“So was I.” Willow replied. “And Buffy didn’t have an abortion, she had a miscarriage.”

They were both quiet for a while before Spike broke the silence.

“You mean she...”

“She lost the baby. She didn’t kill it, she lost it.” Willow filled in for him.

“Oh God.” Spike sat down on the couch, covering his face with his hands.

“That’s one way of putting it.” Willow agreed, sitting down next to him.

“But why did she leave?” Spike asked, looking up at Willow. “I thought it was because she was feeling guilty.”

“She left because she thought that you didn’t care.” Willow replied.

“Because of what I said?” Spike said. “I was just shocked, I was coming back.”

“No, not just because of what you said.” Willow revealed. “We had a little run in with Angel too.”

“What did he say?” Spike asked angrily.

“Well, I couldn’t reach you, so I asked Angel to take me and Buffy to the hospital because she thought something was wrong with the baby. I didn’t know what else to do, and he was right there. After I talked to the doctor, he offered to try to find you and tell you what had happened. Then he came back, saying that he had talked to you and that you had said that you were glad that it was gone, so you didn’t have to pay for it.” Willow said.

“I would never say that.” Spike said quietly.

“I know, we shouldn’t have believed him.” Willow agreed. “But neither should you.”

“I have to talk to her.” Spike said, getting up from the couch.

“Now may not be the best time.” Willow said. “Buffy was pretty upset, I think she needs some time to calm down.”

“OK.” Spike surrendered.

“I’ll talk to her, tell her you want to see her, OK?” Spike nodded, and Willow gave him a hug before leaving.