Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you like =P
“Mum, you’re up early. Did you sleep well?” Buffy greeted her mother a little too excited, and trying to distract her from the vampire who was now eating cereal right out of the box, while sitting on the counter.

“Very well honey, thank you. Spike, how nice to see you again dear.”
Buffy signed, knowing she would have to explain this, and she was desperately trying to think of an explanation for him being here. Anything but the truth would do. Luckily for her, her mother liked Spike, and they were soon engaged in a conversation about art, Passions and the weather.

“Yes, very painful for you, I imagine. But this is California dear, so what do you expect?”

“Good point, Joyce, good point.” Spike was still eating cereal, and glanced at Buffy from time to time, who was trying to look at ease, and ate her breakfast in silence.

“But what brings you to our house, this very sunny morning?” Joyce asked again, and before Buffy could pick out one of the poor excuses she had made up in her head, Spike opened his mouth.

“Buffy and I bummed into each other last night, and we hung out in her room until the sun came up. So I couldn’t go back to my crypt.”

Joyce eyes widened, but before she could respond, there was a loud thump coming from behind her.

Buffy had almost dropped her bowl of yogurt when she had heard him telling her mother the truth. Well, more or less. How could he? Now her mother would suspect things and ask questions. She had put down the bowl on the table, and walked over to the couple with an accusing finger towards him.

“ That is so not….We didn’t….That didn’t….That is not true….I wouldn’t hang out with you the whole night. Why would I do that, I don’t even like you.”

Her face and neck were angry red, and he cocked an eyebrow. What was her problem?

“ Ehm, ok Buffy, honey. Are you alright?”

The questioning looks they were both giving her, made her feel even more uncomfortable.

“Fine, mum. Can I talk to you in private?” Before Joyce could respond, Buffy grabbed her arm and led her into the hallway.

“I just ran into him while I was patrolling, and he followed me back here. The sun came up just before I could kick him out.”

She started to explain, slightly hysterical. Joyce just smiled at her daughter, and nodded her head.

“Of course dear.”

She knew it was a lie, by the way she was acting. And they way Spike had been acting toward her daughter. There was something going on between those two. Her suspicion was confirmed by Buffy who was sweating and coloring, and fumbling with her hands. She was definitely hiding something.

But she decided she didn’t even want to know, since denial was sometimes necessary if your daughter was the slayer. Or a teenager for that matter.

But there was still something else that Buffy needed to discuss with her mother. Something she wasn’t looking forward to, but needed to be done.

“Ok mum, since we are talking now anyway…..”

‘Yes?”

“And you are here listening….”

“Yes?”

“And you’re not busy…”

“Spit it out honey, I want to go eat my breakfast.”

“Right, ehm…I need you to go to the hospital for a cat scan today.”

“Oh….eh…Why is that dear?

Buffy could see her mother was trying to hide her surprise, but it was obvious she was startled by this announcement. The thing was….She couldn’t even explain. She didn’t even know why.

“It’s just…..My slayer senses tell me you need to be checked. Not that there is anything wrong, I just want to make sure you are ok, ok?”

Yeah, that sounded convincing. Even though her mother gave her the ‘you have completely lost it’ look. Despite that, she didn’t make it harder then it was.

“Ok, honey. If you say so, I’ll go and get a cat scan. Perhaps I can get an appointment for next week, if I call today.”

“No….no, no you need to go today. She…I feel you need to go today.” Buffy corrected herself. She had some sort of feeling that today was the day they could make it stop. That everything would be fine, if they could just go today.

“You want me to call em luv, I can be very convincing.” Spike voice came from behind.
He had heard the conversation, and agreed with Buffy. They had to go today. Chris had told them to do so, so they had to.

“Thanks, but no thanks.” Buffy said, smiling a little. She knew exactly what he was going to say, and it wasn’t going to help them. But she did appreciate his offer, and his concern.

He smiled back, feeling that they were sharing a very powerful secret, and therefore connected in a way. It was kind of exciting.

“I’ll call. I can be very convincing as well, you know.” Buffy said with a wink, before picking up the phone an dialing the number.

“Spike, do you know what this is about?” He heard Joyce whisper, while Buffy was talking into the phone.

“Just trust her Joyce, she knows what she is doing.” Was all he gave her, and he watched her walk into the kitchen to finally eat her breakfast. It was going to be a long day.

************************************************************


“Bloody hell, what is this crap?”

Buffy had proved she could be very convincing, and succeeded in getting an appointment for Joyce today. They had left around 9.30 a.m.

And since Dawn had left for school about an hour ago, Spike was now alone in Buffy’s big house. He had Buffy’s room…all to himself.

Bored out of his mind, he decided to go trough Buffy’s CD collection, which contained a lot of Spike’s least favourite genres: Pop and R&B.

Wait a minute. He was all alone in Buffy’s room, and he was checking out her CD collection? What was he thinking?

He quickly found what he was looking for when he opened the top drawer of a cupboard: Lingerie.

The different colours, materials and shapes had him fascinated and slightly aroused, especially since the whole drawer was drowning in her smell: It was intoxicating.

He almost dropped the black laced thong he was holding up to his nose, when someone knocked on the bedroom window, and startled him half to death. Even if that was impossible.

He knew who was on the other side, and despite the sunlight touching his hand as he opened the window, and let her in.

“Bloody hell, that hurts.”
He groaned, blowing on his hand until the skin stopped smoking, and staying away from the window until she was inside, and had closed the curtains shut.

“Sorry about that, dad. It was the least flammable way to get in. Of course I could have just broke into the front door, but since it’s my mum’s house and all…it didn’t seem right.” Chris smiled, while taking of her coat and throwing it on the bed. Making herself at home right away.

“How are you doing sweetheart? Are you ok?” He asked a little worried, remembering the emotional meeting she had had with Buffy, and spotting a bloody scratch on her arm.

“Fine dad, I’m just fine.” She assured him with another smile, before noticing his gaze lingering on her arm.

“Oh that…. It’s nothing.”

“It doesn’t look like nothing.”

“Really, It’s…”

“Chris.”

“What?”

“Come on now.”

“Oh alright: I fell out of that damn tree, if you must know. It took me quiet some time to get up here.”

“Oh.”

“Don’t laugh!”

“I’m not, I swear!”

She gave him a wink when she saw the humorous glister in his eyes, and sat down in a chair in the corner of the room.

“Guess mum is taking grandma to the hospital, then?”

“That’s right. She was pretty freaked out after you told her she needed a cat scan. Is it…is it bad?”

“Not as long as we keep an eye on her condition. Timing really is everything.” Chris said with a nod. Spike was now sitting in front of her on the bed. Staring at her with deep interest, and sucking in every word she spoke.

“Do you know a guy named Warren?” Chris asked out her nowhere, frowning as if she was trying to remember something.

“No…no I don’t think I do. Sorry pet, why do you need to know?”

“Oh just….how about an Andrew, or Jonathan?”

“Again, nope. Sorry kid, I am not the kind of guy who socialises with every bloke.”

“Don’t I know. I just need to find them.”

“Because they will change the future?”

“Exactly.”

There was silence between them. Not uncomfortable, but with a lot of unanswered questions hanging over them like thick clouds.

“She died because of a brain tumour.”
Chris suddenly said, knowing he was dying to know.

“Joyce?”

“Yes. She gets surgery, and they think they removed all of it, but they didn’t, and just when she starts to get better, mum finds her dead on the couch.”

“That is absolutely horrible.”
And that was what he was: horrified. Not just by the way Joyce would die, but also by the way fate would rip her out of Buffy’s life. He could easily imagine how things would go down the hill from there.

“Yeah, it is, or was. But mum is strong, you know. She takes care of aunt Dawn, and goes on with her life. You were so proud of her strength.”

Chris smiled, fumbling with her hands and hiding her eyes behind her hair.

“I’m proud of your strength too, pet.” She heard him say, and felt a tear sliding down her cheek. He had told her this all the time, when he had been alive. He would tell her before he would kiss her goodnight, or when she would leave for school, and it had boosted her confidence and self a steam in so many ways.

And after all this time, it felt so good to hear those words.

“I can’t imagine what you are going trough right now, but just know I will do anything in my power to help you with this, alright? You are not alone.”

“I don’t feel alone.”

“Well….good. Because you’re not.” He stated a little awkward, trying to figure out what she was feeling.

“Not anymore anyway.”

“Are you ok, pet. Can I do something?” He started to get a little worried by the way her eyes had become blank, and how she was now frowning, as if she was in pain.

“You know how much you’ve hurt me?”

What? He words sliced trough him like the hot blade of a knife. Had he really hurt her? Had he been a bad father. He knew he could not live with himself if she would tell him that. He was too afraid to ask, but now he had to know.

“You were my world, dad. The only man I could really trust, along with Will. And you knew. You knew what you mend to me, and still you left me. I never forgave you for that. That might me my mistake, but my world came crashing down is 9 months. I’m so scared of what comes next.”

He looked at her form in the bed. So fragile looking and sad. She wasn’t crying, but her eyes were still puffy from the previous tears. It was almost like she wanted to cry, but had no more tears left to shed over this. And the way her teeth clenched together, and her mouth was now forming a thin line, he could tell she was closer to being pissed off. If he only knew what she mend. If she would only tell him what would happen in the future.

“I’m sure I did not left you on purpose, sweetheart. I would never do that.”

“But you did.” She spat, looking at him with angry eyes. She had some serious emotions tucked away inside her, and they threatened to come out. She knew he wasn’t the man that he would become, and she couldn’t blame him for anything. But as he hadn’t aged a day, she almost felt like it was her old dad.

“You got out, and got yourself killed by a demon. I saw it myself. You didn’t even put up a real fight, and I know how you fight. The only one who’s is stronger then you is you is mum.”

“I’m sure it was an accident, or something like that. It must have been. I’m not the kind of guy who just gives up.”

He tried to comfort her with meaningless words. Had he really died like that. That would really suck. He was so much better then that.

Chris let out a sign, glancing at her father and picking her words very carefully. She didn’t want to take this any further down the accusing lane. It wasn’t fair.

“I’m sorry, it is not your fault, I know that. Let me explain what happened.”