Author's Chapter Notes:
A big Thanks to BuffyAnne for being my Beta. Thanks girl, I really apreciate it! Hope you like my new chapter, and Please review!! Happy Easter everyone!!
‘I really shouldn’t be doing this’ Chris reminded herself for the fiftieth time as she tiptoed around in Willow’s bedroom.

‘If I could just find that stupid rat, then I could get out of here.’

Luckily for her, it did not take long before she had found the white cage with the big brown rat inside.

‘I hate rats…eww…gross, gross, gross…..’ Chris squeezed her eyes shut, trying not to look at what she was reaching for. Nevertheless, when she felt the rough hairs against her fingertips, her hand shot out and grabbed the squeaking rat with one quick movement.

“Oh gross, Oh gross.” She was now hopping around the room on one leg, while holding Amy the rat as far away from her as she could, and trying not to look at her. To think this rat was actually human.

With her free hand, Chris reached for a little box with air holes in her pocket, and slipped Amy inside it as quickly as possible before closing it with both hands to secure it shut.

Chris feared almost nothing, but rats…*burr* she shuddered. They were just filthy, even if this one was human. They were just too big to be cute, and too rough to be petable.

“Now Amy, let’s find a nice home for you. There must be some kid that wants a new pet.” Taking the rat might seem ridiculous to change the future, but Chris knew by what her mother had told her once that Amy had been partly responsible for Willow’s magic issues, and she did not want to make that part even more difficult. She had to make sure that would not happen again, and preventing was better then curing.

“Don’t worry Amy; I’m not going to hurt you.” She assured the squeaking rat in the box, and walked to the cage, making sure the little door was open, so it would look like Amy had escaped on her own. Then she opened the bedroom door, so Willow would know that Amy was not in her room anymore. She did not want to upset the red-haired girl, but giving Amy to a child, so she would stay a rat, was the best for all of them.

“How about I take you to the pet store? I’ll bet they would love to have you.” Chris said to the box, feeling a little bad for Amy, and of course for Willow, who would not be happy once she would notice her pet was gone.

It was getting late, and hours had past since she had left her mothers home. She only had stuck around for a half an hour in her real home, because Aunt Dawn had not been there.

Dawn had left a note she was out with her friends, which she did very often since her last bad break-up. After that she had remember the rat her mum had told her about once, and returned to deal with it. She had been lucky to find the room empty; because she had no idea what she would have told Willow if she caught her.

Thank god the stores were still open, because it was Friday night, which meant the stores wouldn’t close until 10:00 p.m.

Her watch told her it was only 9:37, so she still had time to drop of Amy in the pet store because she wanted to get rid of the hairy, squeaking, disgusting rodent as soon as possible.

Finding the pet store, wasn’t very hard after asking for directions, and she gave Amy to the confused shop owner.

“What do you want me to do with this rat, miss?”

”You sell these things don’t you?”

“Yes, but…”

“So what do you think? Sell it!”

“Miss, you can’t expect me to…”

”Please, for me. I’m so scared.”

“I….”

“I know a guy like you can handle a big scary rat like this.”

“Oh alright….I’ll take her.”

“Thank you very much sir.”

Oh yeah, the pouting and the big eyes, along with some meaningless flirting always worked. Men were so easy.

She walked trough the streets, not knowing where to go. It had started snowing again, and it covered the old snow with a new layer.

Without even thinking about it, her feet dragged her back to the place she had felt the love and acceptance she so desperately needed only hours ago.

As her mother’s house came in sight, she felt a warm feeling spreading inside her body. It almost felt like coming home, even though she had only been there twice.

As she reached the house, she was hoping to find her mum and dad still together in Buffy’s room. She wouldn’t disturb them, but if she could just sneak a peak, just to know if they were making progress it would ease her mind. She needed to know, although, she hoped not to see anything too gross, of course.

However, they were not in Buffy’s room anymore. She figured that out as soon as she saw her mother standing on the porch of her house. She was not alone, but she was not with her dad either.

************************************************************

“You want to take a break?”

“I don’t even know if that’s the right word.”

“You just want to break up then, just like that?”

“No, it’s not just like that. Riley, I’m sorry, but it’s…it’s complicated.”

“That’s not good enough.”

”There’s nothing else I can say.”

“Don’t you love me, Buffy? Because I do, you know.”

“It just wasn’t meant to be.”

“Buffy…”

“I’m sorry.”

“Is there someone else?”

“………”

“Buffy?”

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean you…”

Chris could not take it anymore. She was glad to see her mother doing the right thing, but she was obviously fighting the tears in her eyes. Moreover, he was making it so hard for her. She could not explain this to him.

“Buffy, I was looking for you.” She interrupted Riley, and walked out of the darkness towards the porch.

“Chris, thank god.” Buffy sighed, reaching out for her with open arms.

“It was you! You did this didn’t you? You put some kind of spell on Buffy, or told her lies.”

“I was hoping you would patrol tonight, because I would love to come with you. You know, blow of some steam.” Chris ignored Riley, hugging her mother with both arms before letting go, and seeing Buffy smiling up at her.

“Of course, we can go right now.”

“Great.”

Buffy turned to Riley, who felt completely left out, with both parties ignoring him.

“Buffy…”

“I’m sorry Riley; we’ve been over this for more than an hour. Accept it. It’s over. I’m sorry.” Buffy then paused for a beat. “Goodbye.”

Chris grabbed her mother’s hand as they walked away, towards the cemetery. Her mother trembled a bit, and she tightened her grip on her. They could hear Riley curse and walk away behind them, shouting something about being back.

“Just try it, you wuss. And I’ll make you be sorry you were ever born.” Chris mumbled.

“Chris!”

“Sorry, mum, but I just don’t like him.”

“This was very hard for me you know. Even though the relationship was not what I wanted or even meant to be, for that matter. I did like him.” Buffy sighed with a frown. After the kiss she had shared with Spike, she had known that Riley and she were finished. The passion, the heat and the emotions that that one kiss had given her, were so much more then Riley had ever given her, even in bed. Hell, Spike could turn her on in ways Riley never could just by looking into her eyes. It wasn’t fair to Riley, or to herself to keep this up.

“He would have cheated on you with some vampire whore and run off for a mission in the jungle with the military. Then he would show up a year later, married to a colleague. Something like that.”

“What?”

“So you did the right thing.”

“He did what?”

“You want me to tell you again?”

“Uh, never mind.”

Chris smiled at her mother, and surprisingly, she smiled back. Even though breaking up with Riley had been hard, it also felt like a huge weight lifted off of her shoulders. She had been having doubts about them even before this happened.

The feeling like she was suffocating in his arm at night, the always holding back, and always trying to make herself feel the passions she was missing, and needing.

Walking here with her daughter, with the fresh snow crunching under her boots, she felt free. Not to mention the tingling feeling that still lingered on her lips from Spike’s kiss.

“So, are you and dad getting along?”

“What do you mean?” Buffy sounded a little jumpy, and Chris’ eyes narrowed as she smiled at her mother again. Only this time, it was a grin.

“Okaaaay, what happened?”

Buffy knew that there would be no point in lying, as she felt a blush creeping up her face. Chris was already getting on to her.

“Well, let’s say we’ve gotten closer.”

“Really? How? Wait! I don’t want to know.”

“Chris, we didn’t…”

“Finish that sentence and I will be in therapy for the rest of my life.”

Buffy laughed and stroked her daughters blond hair. She reminded her of herself in so many ways.

“I love the colour of your hair, do you dye it?”

“Nope, this is my real colour.”

“Well, I dye it, so who gave you those genes?”

They were nearing the cemetery, and both girls could already feel Spike’s presence.

“Daddy.”

“Spike, but his hair…”

“Mum, I love you and all, but if you are going to say that the platinum blond is his real hair colour I will have to call you an air-head.

“Wow, I never knew his hair was like honey.”

Chris squeezed her mothers arm playfully and smiled. “I don’t blame you.”

Like honey, damn, her mum was really falling for him. At least Chris hoped she was.

They opened the gate that lead to the graveyard, and walked on the untouched snow. Enjoying the beauty of it.

“Well, it seems like it’s going to be a quiet night.” Chris signed, not picking up any vampires.

“How do you know?” Buffy asked, while wiping off the snow of some of the gravestones.

“Well, I am the child of a vampire and a slayer, so I guess some stuff rubbed off on me. I can do some things normal people can’t.”

Buffy was about to ask her what it was that she could do, but turned around when she felt the familiar tingle down her spine. Good lord, it was him.

“Daddy!”

“Hello gorgeous, how are you?” Spike hugged his daughter, even though it only had been a couple of hours since he had last seen her.

“Great dad and look who I brought with me.”

“Hi Buffy.”

Both girls noticed the shy look on his face, and the way he softly spoke her name. Since their kiss had only accrued a couple of hours ago he was still as confused, light-headed and well…aroused as Buffy.

“Hi Spike.”

Chris tried, but could not hide the smile creeping up her face; her parents were so weird. As she had known them, they had not been awkward about their relationship at all, or the least bit shy.

They way they were acting now was just…funny! They so wanted each other…wait…eeeew.

“Sheesh, the cemetery is kind of empty, must be the snow.” Spike stated when he saw the stake Buffy had clenched in her hand, ready to fight.

“I thought vampires didn’t feel the cold?” Buffy frowned.

“Yeah they do mum, but they’re not bothered by it that much. It doesn’t mean they like it, right dad?”

“Right, kitten.” He winked, sharing a smile with Buffy. It was so great to see his daughter radiating this happiness he had not seen before. She was smiling and glowing, and it warmed his entire being. Her happiness, together with Buffy’s; even though that was still very early and unsure, was everything to him.

Buffy blushed when he smiled, and she wondered what he would do if she told him that Riley was out of the picture. What he would do if they were alone again. She felt her hand getting sweaty around the stake and her daughter’s hand.

“Great, then we have plenty of time to make a snowman.”

“What?”

“It snows. I want to make a snowman.”

Buffy giggled at the giddiness of her daughter. It was amazing how most of the time she could act decades older then she was, or years younger. She recognised this in herself too. Hell, she even recognised it in Spike.

“Come on, to make up for my lost youth.”

“Lost youth…”

“Ok, ok, I just like snowmen! Let’s make one.” She wined, wanting to force her parents to have fun together, and with her, too.

“Ok princess. If it’s a snowman you want, then it’s a snowman you get.”