Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank to Bloodshedbaby for all the help!
Chris listened to her own footsteps while humming a Christmas song under her breath. She had asked permission to go home, year 2029 home that was, to check upon Aunt Dawn and get some sleep. Dreaming of her parents, she had struggled with mixed feelings. It made her feel happy that she could see them again, but knowing that this wasn’t going to bring them back to her. It was hard. She was not going to give up, though.

The fluorescent tubes that lighted the hospital halls gave it an unfriendly vibe, and the walls glaring even whiter than they actually were.

‘God, I hate hospitals’, Chris thought as she picked up the pace.


She had spent way too much time in hospitals in her short life, and being here made her remember all the grief, the loss. But she had a mission. She had come to do what she had to and there was nothing that could stop her. Nobody who could stop her.

A young man with brown hair came in sight as she walked around the corner. He was wearing hospital scrubs and eyed her as she walked towards him. The appreciative look, and the feel of his eyes slighting over her body made her roll her eyes.
Men.

She was used to the looks and comments, since she knew she had her parents good looks, but with an easily annoyed vampire and a slayer watching her like a hawk, nobody had ever dared to make a move without her permission.

“Hi there.” She faked a seductive smile and batted her eyelashes at him.

“Hello, pretty lady. Can I help you?” he asked in an attempt to be charming. It made her want to heave.

Eying his nametag, she realized she had the right man.

“As a matter of fact, I think you can, Ben.”

************************************************************

The sun was setting again, but Spike was still in his crypt, staring at the ceiling. He had been too confused and physically paralyzed to even sleep, and now felt too tired to move a muscle.

He couldn’t even try to make sense of it all, since his brain had given up on him and completely shut down. There was only one word that kept playing over and over in his head, like a broken record.

Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad.

It was too bizarre to be true, but he did not even try to think that the girl had been lying. She hadn’t, and that made it all impossible to understand.

He jolted right up when he heard the door slamming open and the sound of powerful footsteps over his head. He knew who was there and felt a rush of fear going through him. What the hell was he going to say?

He did nothing and stood next to his bed, as she climbed down the ladder and brought her luscious backside in view. Unfortunately, he also received an icy glare as she turned around.

“Spike, I found a lair of vampires nearby. And you’re gonna help me take them out,” she announced a little bored, expecting him to make an insult or demand money. Per usual

When he remained oddly silent, she shrugged and turned around to leave, fully expecting him to follow. But when she didn't hear him behind her, Buffy rolled her eyes and turned to looked at him.

Expecting his usual indifference she was a little startled, to find him staring intently at her. His whole being exposed to her searching eyes. He was afraid. Confused.

“S-spike?”

“Buffy...” He whispered her name so soft, and so carefully, it made her shiver. Goosebumps appeared on her entire body and she was shocked by her reaction to him.

“What is it, Spike?” she asked, concerned. He reminded her of a puppy like this, and she couldn't bring herself to hurt him with her typical sharp words and dirty looks. Something had happened, and it was big.

The concerned tone of her voice only made him more confused. Why was she being kind to him? She loathed him and didn’t care whether he lived or died. Did she know?

“It can’t be true,” he mumbled shakily.

Buffy frowned. Was he messing with her? “What?”

“You could never love me. Have babies with me.” He shook his head, looking at the ground while he sat on the edge of a tomb.

She had no idea what to say or what to think of this, but she knew one thing: He had obviously lost his mind. Well, what mind he had.

“Spike, I’m the slayer, remember? Your mortal enemy and stuff. What is this?”

“She said she wasn’t lying.” Spike uttered softly.

“Who said?” She was getting irritated now, he was rambling. Who was this ‘she’ person he was talking about? What had she done to him?

‘Not that I care that much,’ she quickly reminded herself.

“She said you would be with me.” He pointed with a trembling finger towards her, and she was starting to feel very disturbed by his behavior. The things he was saying and the way he was saying them... the way his voice trembled with….what? Confusion? Anger? Pain?

“Spike, I don’t know what you’re talking about, but whoever it is that told you these things, they are probably insane or evil. Now, tell me what happened.”

“No, she wasn’t lying. I know she wasn’t,.” he rambled, getting up to pace through the room.

“Spike, stop it.” She was getting angry, feeling so powerless to this situation. He was talking about love and being with her... and god, babies? She was starting with the major freak out.. Did he want to be with her?

“No, I need to think. Get out.” Reality had finally hit him, as his brains had started to work again. Buffy was starting to get on his nerves. She didn’t understand, and he couldn’t possibly explain. She needed to go, just for a little while, so he could think this through, and decide how to behave around her. She was the mother of his child, after all. Or would be. And he had just made an ass out of himself.

“Spike...”

“GET OUT!”

He didn’t mean to yell like that, but he was in no mood to play nice.
Without another word, she glared at him and left.
And when the cold wind welcomed her outside again, a tear rolled down her cheek.

She hated herself for feeling this way, especially about Spike, but he had hurt her with his outburst. He hadn’t been this much of an ass to her in a long time. At least not where he really meant it.
She thought they had had an understanding, dammit. She was 'bitchy Buffy' and he was always a wiseass, but both knew neither really meant it. It made them a perfect team on the battlefield. That was something she could not share with anyone else.

“Why are you crying?”

************************************************************

“Stop, stop, stop it! Get off!” Ben gasped, struggling to get away, and trying to grab the crazed girl wherever he could.

He had been more than surprised when the girl he'd been checking out had suddenly attacked him, wrapping her very strong hands around his throat and squeezing, so no air could get into his lungs.

Her beauty and innocence had made him weak in the knees, remove comma and when she had asked him if they could talk in private, he had been more than happy to pick out one of the empty doctors offices for them, eager to get her alone.

But the moment he had turned around to lock the door, he had felt her strong grip forcing him down on the desk, squeezing his throat shut.

He tried to scream, but found himself unable to draw any air in. The girl was too strong. When he tried to speak, she covered his mouth and pinched his nose. It seemed like she had no trouble at all keeping him in place, her face void of emotion as she stared into space, not looking at him.

Suddenly, he heard her speak, even though it was hard to make out the words as his body desperately sought the oxygen it needed.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t let you do this. Glory needs to die,” she said, still not looking at him, missing the despair in his eyes

As Chris kept her hands firmly in place, she could feel him getting stiller, his heartbeat finally slowing down. It did not take long before life left his body.

She let go of him after making sure he was truly dead, and stood up straight, wiping off her hands and looking at his lifeless face. The face that still carried an expression of panic and shock.

“I’m sorry, Ben, but you just were not worth it,” Chris told the corpse impassively.

Closing the door behind her, she left him in the office and walked outside. Luckily, she was still alone.

‘Good thing I took care of the camera security first.’, She thought, feeling a little queasy.

Walking outside, a clock showed her the time and she smiled.

“Seems there is still time to pay mum a little visit.”