Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to everyone for your fab reviews! Love ya.
Chapter 3

September 26, 2001, Somewhere in South America, approximately the same time as the spell was broken in Sunnydale

Half a world away, and on a different continent, Drusilla's eyes popped open. She felt the anguish of her Childe as the powerful spell cast upon him was broken. She moaned, and tears filled the evil vampiress' eyes. She muttered to herself, "I warned you, Daddy. Now all the bad little children know your secret. My dark prince and his sunshine will have their revenge on you".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~


September 26, 2001, London England. at the same time

Giles sat straight up in bed gasping as the memories of what he had done nearly three years in the past filled his mind. Shame flooded the Watcher as he realized what had been his first betrayal of his beloved Slayer. For the first time since her untimely demise, he was actually glad that Buffy was dead.

Giles' mind flitted to how he had told Buffy during that time that 'at least Angel has his soul'. If only he and Angel hadn't meddled. Maybe Jenny Calender wouldn't have paid for it with her life. Spike had been right, way back then. Magic had consequences, and for Rupert Giles, the consequence was to lose the love of his life to a sadistic vampire by the name of Angelus.

"Oh God, Jenny, my love, what have I done?" Giles muttered. He sadly let himself remember everything he'd done.

~~~~~~~~~~~

November 8, 1997

"Angel, I feel we must do this spell as soon as possible. I can not take the chance that Spike's evil purposes will somehow have a detrimental effect on my Slayer," Giles announced. He was busy writing a spell as he spoke to the vampire.

"Giles, I don't think..."

"I don't care what you think, Angel. I refuse to have my Slayer involved with William the Bloody. I never approved of her relationship with you, but at least you have a soul. Now either you're a help or a hindrance. Take your pick," Giles growled. He stood up to begin preparation for the spell. Giles was lacking a few spell components. So, he knew he had to pick those up before the scheduled Scooby meeting the next evening.

"Alright, Giles. I will help, but I have to let you know I think you are making a big mistake. If Buffy or Spike ever discover what you are doing, I don't think they will be too forgiving. I know I wouldn't be." Angel sighed. He slowly left the library, wondering if he was doing the right thing.

Angel had observed Spike and Buffy for the past week. He noticed that not once had Spike tried to change Buffy in any way. In fact, the ensouled vampire was reminded more and more of the fledgling that Drusilla had brought home all those decades ago. The fledgling, who to his great shame, he had molded into his own image.

Once Angel was outside in the darkness, he wandered the town without thought or direction. So, he was surprised when a dark figure melted out of the shadows.

"Bad Daddy. Bad Watcher. Trying to take my William from his Sunshine," Drusilla sing-songed as she danced gracefully around Angel. "The pixies will be very angry with you, my Angel. Nothing will keep William from basking in the light now."

"I don't know what you're talking about, Drusilla." Angel attempted to deny the plans he'd made with Giles.

"No lying, Daddy. It won't do you any good," Drusilla tutted. She waved her forefinger in Angel's face. "Do you really think a little magic is going to keep William from his sunshine? She will always be his mate no matter what you do."

Angel watched as his Childe retreated from lucidity into her own world. A minion drifted out of the shadows to take Drusilla's arm, and he murmured that Master Spike would be unhappy if anything happened to his Sire.

Meanwhile back at the library, Giles watched Spike and Buffy playfully spar. The pair danced around each other throwing fake punches at each other and snarked laughingly at each other.

"What are you searching for, Slayer, a weak spot? Hmm?" Spike asked. He bit his lower lip as he flirted shamelessly. Spike and Buffy continued to circle one another slowly. "Try me, give me the best you've got."

Buffy launched herself halfheartedly at Spike. She wasn't trying very hard since they were playing around, and Spike easily ducked out of her way. Buffy grunted softly as Spike grabbed her from behind with one arm around her neck and the other grabbing her stake-filled hand.

"Is this really your best, Slayer?" Spike whispered huskily in Buffy's ear. He ground his engorged cock against her rounded ass cheeks.

"No." Buffy's eyes fluttered shut, and her knees weakened when Spike blew cool air on his mark on her neck.

"Why not?" Spike pressed his lips to the mark. He was pleased as his mate melted against him.

"I ... I wanna hurt you, but I can't resist your sinister attraction," Buffy murmured in a sweet little girl voice. She planted kisses along the forearm against her neck.

"Maybe I should repay you for your gentleness." Spike glanced at the Watcher while he outlined Buffy's ear with the tip of his tongue. "Maybe I should let you go."

"No! No, Spike," Buffy groaned with desire, "Never let me go."

"You know you should be afraid of me," Spike snarked, "I'm bad."

"Yes, you are. You are very, very bad," Buffy said seductively. She smoothed her hand along Spike's arm following the path of her earlier kisses.

Giles finally got tired of watching their antics, and he left the sparring room to go do some more research on the spell he was planning performing. The spell completion that couldn't come too soon, in his opinion.

"Finally," Buffy said loudly. She suddenly twisted out of Spike's grasp, and she flung him across the room. Buffy launched herself at him before he had even landed on the floor. She jumped on top of him, and she pressed her stake against his chest. Buffy pressed her aching core snugly down upon Spike's hardened cock. Her head fell back in desire.

"Bet I could make you cum right here with all your clothes on, luv," Spike purred. He knew the vibrations would flow through his body into hers where they were intimately joined.

"God. You're evil." Buffy's husky voice was barely a whisper. She dropped the stake to the side, and she began to inch Spike's shirt up so she could gently scratch at his abs.

"And that excites you, doesn't it, Slayer?" Spike continued to purr out his words. He smirked to himself as he watched his mate's eyes glaze over with excitement as she drew closer to her orgasm.

"Yes, it excites me, baby," Buffy whispered, "I tried so hard to resist you, but I couldn't."

"Yeah?" Spike purred the word out, long and hard. The scent of Buffy's arousal filled the vampire's nostrils. His gameface rippled forth so he could watch Buffy with demon-yellow eyes as he continued his rumbling purr.

"Oh God, William," Buffy whimpered with a desire laden voice, "I want you to bite me. Please devour me until there's nothing left."

"My pleasure, luv," Spike growled. He sat up, and he buried his hands in her hair. Spike pressed his lips against Buffy's while he felt her arms encircle him underneath his duster.

Buffy wiggled in pleasure as Spike's mouth left hers and trailed down her jawline to her throat. She shuddered in anticipation just as she felt her mate drag his sharp fangs up and down her jugular. When he suddenly struck, and he dug his fangs in fiercely, Buffy came fast and hard. Her hands fluttered under his jacket, and she gained purchase on his t-shirt.

Spike felt Buffy's nails skim his skin on the outside of his shirt as he gave her pleasure. His sweet little mate was so responsive and so easily pleased. As much as he adored his Sire, he had never before realized how tiring a high-maintanance relationship was until he mated with the Slayer. Everything that made the Slayer unique, Spike adored; the taste of her blood, the smell of her arousal, the sound of her quiet little mewls. All together they delivered a delicious little package that the vampire knew he would never get enough of.

Buffy shivered pleasurably as Spike removed his teeth from her skin and licked the holes closed. Her eyes fluttered open so she could study his face. He was so handsome in vamp face. She had thought so the first night they fought right there in the school hallway. Buffy knew she had lost that night because his physical presence had wreaked havoc upon her senses.

"You're mine, Buffy," Spike growled.

"Yours. Only yours." Buffy looked at the vampire through her lashes shyly as her hand boldly caressed the bulge she still cradled between her thighs. "Mom's working late, and Dawnie's going to Janice's. Why don't you come over after I patrol and I return the favor?"

"Wild horses couldn't keep me away, luv," Spike murmured, and shook his gameface away. "I've an errand to do. So, 'll meet you at your house in say, an hour?"

Buffy nibbled her lower lip while she nodded. She hopped up off of Spike's lap, and she offered him her hand. Once the vampire was standing, they stood there staring into each othe'rs eyes. A loud banging in the main section of the library broke them out of their trance.

"See ya in an hour, Slayer," Spike whispered seductively. He whirled in a flurry of black leather, and he exited the library out the back entrance.

Buffy bounced into the main part of the library where she told the others she was off to patrol. She waved off all offers for company on her rounds. Buffy quickly left the library, and she made a short round of the more popular cemeteries. She really wanted to get back to the house and set up the seduction scene.

Spike arrived at Buffy's at the appointed time, and he let himself into the house. He took off his duster. Spike glanced around the foyer before he decided to toss the jacket over the banister for easy access later. Then he heard soft music from the living room. Spike leaned against the doorjamb as he watched a scantly clad Slayer use a lighter on some scented candles. His undead heart flipped in his chest when she looked up at him and smiled.

"Hi, baby," Buffy cooed. She led the vampire to one of the armchairs. Buffy gently pushed him down into the overstuffed softness, and she settled across his lap. She put her arms around Spike's neck. Like during the play sparring of before, she pressed the apex of her thighs snuggly against his manly parts. Buffy ground her clit against the button flies of his jeans until she had a mini orgasm Buffy's lips caressed his ear as she whispered into it, "I'm ready to return the favor."

"You better be, luv," Spike growled, "Teasin' me all week with those short little skirts of yours." He lightly gripped the arms of the chair. Spike knew if he touched her that things wouldn't go the way she had planned.

"You don't like them," Buffy pouted. She stuck her lip out as far as she could. Her hands busily touched Spike's shoulders and chest.

"I didn't say that, luv, and if you keep that lip stuck out like that you're just askin' for it to be bitten." Spike snapped his blunt teeth a few inches from the said pouty lip.

"Not asking, begging," Buffy murmured, "I dream every night about you biting me. I have ever since I saw you behind the Bronze."

"Must be having the same dreams, Slayer. Cause've dreamed about bitin' you ever since I laid eyes on you," Spike purred. He waggled his tongue at her, and he got a slight slap on the shoulder for his trouble.

"Mmmm," Buffy groaned throatily. She pressed her lips to Spike's. She rubbed her tongue along his lower lip, and she sighed when he obliged her by opening his mouth. Buffy gently swiped her tongue along the sheaths that housed Spike's fangs. She smirked to herself as a rumbling purr resonated from his chest. Buffy continued to kiss him until she could feel him harden beneath her.

Buffy pulled Spike's t-shirt out of his pants. She only detached her lips from his when she couldn't lift the shirt off any further. Buffy had his shirt up and off in a manner of seconds, and she had reattached her lips to his. Her fingers found their way to his nipples, and she rubbed and tweaked them gently. Buffy became progressively rougher as Spike's purring became louder and more pronounced.

Spike's hips instinctively thrust upwards towards the heated core of his mate while she moved her mouth down his jawline to his neck. He growled out loud when Buffy moved her mouth along his shoulder to suck on her claiming mark. Spike fought for rigid control as the combination of sensations almost made the vampire cum in his pants. He automatically slipped into game face when Buffy bit down on her mark.

Buffy hummed in delight as she made open mouthed kissed down Spike's chest until she could take one of his rock hard nipples into her mouth. She was surprised that his nipples were as sensitive as, if not more than, her own. Buffy loved how she could make the otherwise cool and collected vampire lose his control. She backed her body up off of his lap, and she fell to the floor. Buffy kept his legs trapped between her thighs as she kissed down his abdomen to his waistband. Once there, she swept her tongue back and forth across the sensitive skin. She rubbed and squeezed Spike's thighs, each time she stopped just short of his crotch.

"Take off my boots, kitten," Spike rumbled. He undid his belt buckle and button-fly as Buffy removed his boots. Spike lifted his hips a bit to push his jeans down to his knees. He chuckled when he noticed that Buffy's eyes were locked on his now exposed and erect shaft.

Buffy ogled her mate's engorged cock. It looked different than last time. It looked larger and harder, the head rounder and darker in color. Without realizing it, Buffy's hand reached for him as she remembered how soft he had been when she touched him before. Her eyes glanced up to his when she heard him quietly chuckle. It was then that she realized he was still in gameface and that explained the difference in his penis.

"You want me to change back, luv?" Spike asked. He chuckled again when Buffy quickly shook her head negatively, and her hand continued on its journey to his aching member. Spike let out a shuddering groan as her hand made first contact. He tipped his head back, closed his eyes, and enjoyed the sensations.

Buffy caressed Spike gently at first, and like with his nipples before, slowly her grip became firmer and tighter. She licked her lips as precum started to ooze from the slit in the tip. Gotta taste, she thought to herself. Buffy shuffled between Spike's legs, and she leaned up to touch the tip of her tongue to the tip of Spike's cock.

Spike's eyes popped open when he felt Buffy move closer to him. He looked down at her just in time to see her little pink tongue shoot out and wipe against the tip of his shaft. Spike groaned loudly, and he buried his hands in Buffy's blond locks. In a few seconds, he was rewarded with Buffy's hot little mouth engulfing the head of his dick. Encouragements fell from his lips without him even realizing he was doing it.

Buffy's confidence soared at the praise. Her free hand wandered up his thigh to cup and massage his balls while she took in as much of his hard shaft as she could. Buffy sucked hard, her cheeks hollowed out, and she swirled her tongue along the prominent vein on the underside. She felt her own arousal climb as her thighs became wet with her juices. Buffy hummed with tension. Her eyes flew to Spike's face when his growly purring got louder. Buffy smirked to herself before humming louder and harder.

Spike knew he was rapidly losing control. He knew he wanted to be buried in his mate's hot little quim when he came. He loosened his hold on her hair, and he slid his hands down her body to her breasts. Spike ripped the satiny fabric that impeded his path to his mate's body. He tweaked her nipples roughly on his journey to her hips where he caught her in his grip. Spike pulled Buffy's mouth away from his raging hard-on, and he lifted her onto his lap where he slid her back and forth across his cock.

Buffy whimpered as Spike hit her clit several times before finally raising her high enough for him to slide into her heated depths. She thrashed her head back and forth because he hit all the right spots as he filled her up. She whimpered as she tried to wiggle around for some added friction.

"Don't move, kitten," Spike crooned in Buffy's ear, "Just feel how I fill you up. It feels so good to have your hot little pussy surrounding me."

Buffy whimpered louder. She wanted to move so badly, to feel him as he slide in and out of her body. Buffy could feel her needy nipples tighten. She tried rubbing them against Spike's chest, but his skin was too smooth and satiny for the friction that she desired. Buffy leaned back a little, and she gasped as she felt his cock hit something deep inside her. She panted, and she twisted her nipples between her own fingers.

Spike growled as he watched Buffy knead her breasts. He moved her up and down his rod ever so slightly. Spike's eyes fluttered shut when her attempt to squirm around on his lap caused her internal muscles to flex around his cock.

"Oh god, Spike," Buffy cried as she came. Before she could even recover, she started the climb again. Buffy threw her arms around Spike's neck, and she honed in on the mark on his shoulder. She licked and worried it with her tongue.

Desire flooded Spike's system when Buffy sucked her claim mark. He slipped his fangs into his own mark on her neck. Spike didn't drink from his mate since he had earlier at the library, and he didn't want her to weaken. Spike helped Buffy move faster. As they raced towards their final completion, Spike was surprised to hear a little voice in his head.

Mine, mine, mine, it whispered, My Spike, my vampire.

My Buffy, my Slayer, he found himself whispering back. Spike moved one hand along the front of Buffy's body enough that he was able to brush his thumb against her engorged clit. He stroked it in time with his upward thrust. In a matter of moments, Buffy was keening sharply against his shoulder, and she came again. That was all it took for Spike come himself. He thrust up into his mate's body, and he spilled his cool seed deep inside her willing body.

The pair sat in the chair, Spike still buried deep within Buffy as they talked and cuddled for about fifteen minutes. They kissed deeply, tongues intertwined and hands caressing softly. Buffy glanced at the clock on the mantle.

"Mom's gonna be home soon," Buffy sighed heavily, "I can't wait till we can spend a whole night together." She wrapped her arms tightly around the vampire.

"Soon, luv," Spike replied. He lifted her off of his lap. Spike saw the shine of their combined juices on his mate's thighs. He
wanted to throw her down on the floor and lick her clean with his tongue, but he knew that this time he couldn't. He resolved that the next time he was alone with his mate, nothing was going to get in the way of enjoying the full bounty of each other's bodies.

"Scooby meeting tomorrow right after dusk," Buffy asked shly, "Can you come?"

"You know how well I can come, pet," Spike snarked. He put on his jeans, buttoned the fly and buckled the belt. Spike grabbed his shirts to put on while Buffy grabbed a robe she had laid out nearby.

"You are so bad," Buffy muttered. She smacked the vampire lightly on his bicep. "But I love you anyway."

"Love you, too, Buffy." Spike pulled Buffy into his arms. He kissed her soundly before he grabbed his coat. Spike was out the door before Buffy even had a chance to say good-bye.

Buffy wasn't worried about Spike's abrupt departure. She knew he really cared for her. After all he claimed her instead of killing her. The thought of Buffy's mother made the vampire a bit nervous. Buffy wasn't sure if it was the Victorian gentleman hidden in the depths of Spike's mind or the axe to the back of the skull that made the vampire more nervous. She smiled dreamily to herself as she hurried to clean up the living room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy had errands to run the next day before the Scooby meeting. So, she arrived back at the school building at the same time Spike did. They kissed for a few minutes before they entered the school hand in hand. The couple walked slowly to the library where they entered through the swinging doors. That's when they noticed that Giles and Angel were the only ones in the room.

"Hey guys," Buffy greeted the two men, "Where's everyone?" She and Spike moved to the research table and sat down beside one another.

Giles advanced slowly towards the table. When he got a few feet away, he suddenly threw some dust in Buffy's face.

"I can't move," Buffy cried, "What are you doing, Giles?" She struggled in vain against the magical bindings.

Before Spike could come to the rescue of his mate, Angel had grabbed him and dragged him halfway across the library. Angel held the younger vampire in a headlock.

"I said before I would not allow you to be mated to an evil, soulless vampire, Buffy," Giles informed the Slayer. He moved back to the checkout counter where he took some spell components out, and he placed them on the top. "I'm going to perform a spell that should break the claim and remove all our memories of the monstrous thing."

"No, please, Giles," Buffy cried again, "Please don't do this to me. He loves me."

"Please, Buffy, don't make this any harder than it already is," Giles muttered, "He can't love you." He continued to prepare for the spell.

"You know nothing, Watcher," Spike growled, "Someday you will regret this because that's the thing about magic. There's always consequences. Always."

"It's a risk I'm willing to take," Giles said haughtily. He lit the candles surrounding the bowl in front of him. Giles threw a pinch of something into the bowl which caused a small flame to dance inside the rim. He began to chant, "I call upon the four elements, Earth, wind, fire and water. I summon thee now. Grant me the power to cast this spell. Let this vile claim between Buffy Summers and William the Bloody be broken. Let those who care the most be filled with hatred. Let our memories be reshaped. So mote it be."

Spike snarled from his spot in Angels' arms, "What the bloody hell am I doing here? Slayer, you're going down."

Angel dropped his arms from Spike's neck in confusion, allowing the younger vampire to escape out the swinging doors. Why was Spike here in the library?

Giles wondered what spell he was performing. He couldn't remember doing a spell. Why was Spike here in the library? Was everyone okay?

Buffy felt strange for a few seconds. It felt like she couldn't move and like she was losing something precious to her. Why did the feeling grow as Spike rushed out of the library doors? She shrugged her shoulders and chatted with her boyfriend, Angel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

September 26, 2001

Giles looked at the clock, and he decided that he didn't care what time it was in California he was going to call Angel. First though, he was going to fortify himself with some whiskey laden tea. While he waited for the tea water to boil, Giles contemplated the things he had done that Buffy considered betrayals. The Cruciamentum and telling her she had to let Dawn die had been at the top of the list. However, Giles knew they would pale in comparison to what he had done so long ago when she was only sixteen.

Giles's mind wandered away from Buffy and Spike individually and towards them collectively. Spike came back even after saying he would stay gone, and Buffy let him live several times, in fact. He came to her after the chip was inserted, sure in his knowledge that she would help him. Spike had an almost insane jealousy of all Buffy's boyfriends. Now that Giles studied it closely, it appeared Buffy felt the same way of Spike's girlfriends. What baffled the Watcher the most was how despite the hatred spell invoked on the pair, they seemed to gravitate towards each other enough that the vampire fell in love with the Slayer a second time.

Giles shook himself out of his thoughts when he heard the teapot whistle. He slowly made his tea, added the whiskey to the drink, and sat sipping it while he thought about what to say to Angel. Finally after he knew he couldn't put it off any longer, he reached for the phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~

L.A. California, Hyperion Hotel

Angel's head popped up as Rupert Giles's voice filled the lobby of the Hyperion "The spell is broken, Angel. We better be glad that Buffy is dead and both hope that Spike doesn't come after us. I always blamed Angelus for Jenny Calender's death, but now I just don't know anymore. I'm going to call Sunnydale now to try and find out what's happening there." The answering machine clicked off as Giles hung up the phone.

"What was that all about?" Gunn asked.

"I'm curious, too," Wesley replied.

"I don't really want to talk about it," Angel grumbled. He folded his arms across his chest as he tried to shove the memories out of his head.

"I can call Giles back and ask him if you aren't too forthcoming," Wesley threatened. He was starting to find Angel's secretive nature grating.

"I suppose you won't leave me alone until I do," Angel sighed, "It started the Halloween after Spike arrived in Sunnydale. He and Buffy mated, but Giles and I did a spell to break the claim and make us all forget it."

"And it worked?" Gunn asked. He sat back in his chair and got comfortable. Somehow he knew this was going to be a long story.

"It worked fine," Angel barked, "At least until I came back from Hell..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 20, 1998

The feral vampire sniffed the air. William's mate? Where's William? Attack or be attack. He launched himself at the petite blond girl, but he was surprised she was so strong. Slayer. William's mate Slayer? He growled at her, and he rushed her again. This time he knocked her to the ground. As he charged her again, she grabbed him to throw him on the ground but not before she was knocked on the ground by his weight. The feral vampire rolled away from the girl, and when he came to a stop he crawled back towards her.

The feral vampire lunged at William's mate again, but she used his forward motion to flip him away from her. He landed on his back hard, and he lost his unneeded breath. She was on him in a heartbeat. William's mate punched him while he tried to regain his footing. The feral vampire ignored the blow as he searched his surroundings for any sign of his grandchilde. He punched the Slayer with the back of his hand, and she fell to the ground. The feral vampire jumped on her again, but once again the sneaky Slayer used his forward motion to throw him onto his back. William picked well. Good fighter.

The feral vampire twisted his body enough so that he could punch the Slayer in the stomach. She quickly rolled away from him, and she was in a standing position in a manner of moments. The Slayer spun around, and she quickly kicked him in the head as he tried to stand up. Smart. William teach well. Kick when down, the feral vampire thought groggily as darkness engulfed him.

~~~~~~~~~~

Shackled. Not dust? The feral vampire woke slowly and got to his knees. William's mate? Here. Where here? He lunged out at the Slayer, but between the shackles and her jumping out of the way, he missed catching a hold of her. The feral vampire leaned against his bonds, and he growled menacingly at her before he crouched down to cower like a trapped animal. At William's mercy. At Slayer's mercy. Be careful.

The Slayer walked around him in a wide arc, and she stopped at a blackened area on the floor. She knelt down to study the outline his body made when he fell through the portal. The feral vampire continued to growl and rattle his chains. He was surprised to see the Slayer cringe at the sound. When he lunged at her again, she also cringed at his actions. He struggled with his chains for a few more moments before he slumped to the floor, one arm raised high on the chain.

~~~~~~~~~~

The feral vampire crouched against the wall and whimpered. William's mate back. Why she stare at me? He watched covertly as the Slayer moved closer to him. He remained crouched over and didn't do anything to acknowledge her presence. Still no William. Where William?

"Angel," The Slayer said softly.

Don't answer. Don't answer.

"Do you understand me?" The Slayer asked in the same soft voice. She moved closer to him, and her hand reached out to touch him on the shoulder.

The feral vampire suddenly lashed out at the Slayer, and he roared at her. Must not touch me. William jealous. Weak, can't fight him. As soon as she had stepped away from him, he whimpered in torment. Somewhere in the back of his mind he knew he recognized William's mate as something more than that, but his thoughts were buried in cotton. It hurt the feral vampire to think about anything.

William's mate cry. Why? the feral vampire sniffed the air. The scent of William was old in the building, like he hadn't been there is several months. William not dead. Feel him far away. The feral vampire watched as the Slayer ran out of the building. He growled, and he pulled against the shackles. He looked up curiously when dust fell on him.

The vampire continued to pull against the chains. They loosened considerably when he yanked them with all of his weight. Soon the bracket anchoring the shackles to the wall pulled free, and it fell to the floor. The vampire fell to his hands and knees, but he quickly recovered enough to pull the chain free from the broken bracket. He jumped up and ran out of the mansion, following the scent of William's mate.

The vampire entered the very familiar high school. He snarled when he realized a human boy was attacking William's mate. His demonic visage appeared just as he opened the door to a storage room. The Slayer looked back over her shoulder at him. The vampire roared when he launched himself at the boy.

The vampire hit the boy in the face with the chains still attached at wrists, first one direction and then the other. The need to protect family was still strong in the vampire's psyche. Even if he wasn't on friendly terms with William, he knew he needed to protect his mate.

The boy lunged at the vampire, and he was able to get a momentary advantage. The boy bent the vampire over a nearby crate. He had his hands around the vampire's neck for a few moments before he threw the vampire to the ground nearby. He ignored the vampire, and once again he advanced on the Slayer.

The vampire snarled to himself. Protect William's mate. Family. He ambled to his feet, his body still weak from his sojourn in hell. The vampire lunged at the boy, and he wrapped the chains around the human's neck. He lifted the human over his back, and he slammed him down onto the floor. The vampire wrapped the chains around the boy's neck, and he twisted until the boy's neck broke.

The vampire looked down at his kill. Slowly his identity returned to him. He was Angel, Angelus of the Clan Aurelius. He looked up at the Slayer, at William's mate. Angel slowly walked towards her, and they stared at each other. The memory of the spell that he and Giles conspired to do just a short year ago hit Angel's mind. He took a long and intense look at the Slayer. She doesn't remember. The spell still works for her. What am I going to do? Her name is Buffy.

"Buffy?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November 23, 1998

Angel was strolling through the neighborhood hoping he would catch a glimpse of Buffy. He was in such conflict when it came to the petite blond Slayer. He knew he loved her, and yet he knew he couldn't be with her because of the curse. He refused to think about the whole thing with her being Spike's mate.

Angel had seriously considered hunting the other male vampire down and challenging him for the girl, but there were several points against him. He realized he was too weak to take on the younger vampire at this time, not to mention the time span to challenge a claim was short. That time had already passed. Then, there was the fact that the spell that Giles had invoked hadn't really broken the claim. It was just hidden in the deepest recesses of everyone's minds. Angel had a feeling deep inside him that it was no ordinary claim, but there was no one to ask.

Angel paused outside of Buffy's house. He glanced through the open door and saw the vampire his thoughts had just touched on sitting in the kitchen with Buffy's mom. He ran towards the door as fast as he could, jumped over the porch railing and bounced off the invisible barrier. Angel sniffed the air cautiously. No fear on Joyce. Spike is doing nothing to her. Why? Does he remember something? This can't be good. Angel growled angrily at Spike, "Spike."

Joyce jumped out of her chair. She backed away from the growling vampire standing outside her back door. "Oh, my God. Get out of here!"

Spike went to stand behind Joyce. He smiled and said, "Yeah. You're not invited."

"He's crazy. He'll kill us," Joyce cried in terror. She stepped back a little more, and she bumped into Spike.

"Not while I breathe." Spike's eyebrows bunched together as if he was wondering why he said that, but then he began to taunt Angel, "Well, actually, I don't breathe."

Angel saw the look on Spike's face as he promised to protect the mother of his enemy. He realized that the younger vampire didn't remember the claim on the Slayer anymore than Buffy herself did, but it was still there beneath the surface. Spike had just proved it to the elder vampire. Angel decided he had to play this to the hilt. There was no way he could tell any of them about the spell and the claim. He didn't think he could handle the looks of disappointment and anger that would be cast his way by both Spike and Buffy.

"Joyce, listen to me..."

"You get out of this house, or I will stake you myself," the elder Summers woman threatened.

"You're a very bad man," Spike announced.

"Joyce, you can't trust him. Invite me in," Angel's voice seethed with anger. He wasn't sure how much longer he could keep this up. Spike had a way of seeing right through a person's carefully erected facades and seeing the truth. Angel hoped that his grandchilde wasn't planning on staying in town too long.

Spike scrunched up his face and curled his fingers into claws pretending he was going to attack Joyce. He carefully studied the dark haired vampire outside. He knew something was off, but he couldn't put his finger on it.

"You touch her, and I'll cut your head off," Angel threatened.

"Yeah? You and what army?" Spike said tauntingly. He was concentrating so much on the vampire in front of him that he failed to feel the Slayer come up behind him until she grabbed his shoulder.

"That would be me," Buffy growled. She knocked him onto his back on the kitchen island, her hand closed tightly around his throat. "Angel, why don't you come in?"

Joyce panicked as soon as Angel entered the house. She moved to the farthest side of the island, away from the dark haired vampire.

"You shouldn't have come back, Spike," Buffy declared.

"I do what I please," Spike rebutted.

"Okay, I'm confused again," Joyce said, but she realized no one was listening to her as Spike attempted to grab Buffy's arm.

Angel grabbed Spike's arm away from Buffy, and he pinned it to the kitchen island. He watched as Buffy grabbed a wooden spoon, and she pressed it against the other vampire's chest. Angel saw confusion and desperation in both the Slayer's and Spike's faces as they both attempted to come up with a reason for Spike to stay undusted.

"Willow," Spike finally squeaked out, and Angel saw the relief on both of the faces of his beloved family.

"You took Willow," Buffy stated. Her hand holding the spoon stopped moving.

"You do me now, you'll never find the little witch," Spike responded.

"And Xander?" Buffy asked as she and the two vampires ignored Joyce's 'Willow's a witch?' in the background.

"Him, too," Spike acknowledged.

"What? Xander's a witch, too? I..." Joyce continued on in a confused voice.

Angel grabbed Spike by the coat and lifted him off the island. He got close to Spike's face, and he growled, "Where are they?"

Spike shoved Angel away. "Doesn't work like that, Peaches, and when did you become all soul having again? Thought you outgrew that." He turned to Buffy. "Your friend's gonna work a little magic for me. She does my spell, I let them both go."

"You're not famous for keeping your promises, Spike," Buffy grumbled, but Angel could see the confusion flit through her eyes again. Did Spike promise her something before the spell? Damn Giles. I told him the spell was a bad idea.

"Well, you and your great poof here wanna tag along, that's fine. You get in my way, and you kill your friends," Spike announced. He made his way out of the house, not looking to see if they had followed him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angel watched Spike as they walked through the town towards the magic shop. He had a feeling there was more to this than Drusilla dumping the blond vampire. Angel wondered how much the spell had affected the insane seer. He vaguely remembered her muttering something about the sunshine and William during his stay as Angelus. Now that he remembered the events leading up to the spell, he remembered the little visit that he had with Drusilla.

When Spike attacked Angel and began yelling that 'she' belonged to him, Angel knew that the other vampire wasn't really speaking about Drusilla. When Angel heard Buffy call Spike a loser, a pathetic shell of a loser, and Spike began to return the insults, Angel's heart broke. There was no way he was going to tell anyone about the secret he carried deep within his heart now. It would only bring harm and hurt feelings to everyone involved.

Spike faced the pair down, and commented, "The last time I looked in on you two, you were fighting to the death. Now you're back making googly-eyes at each other like nothing happened. Makes me want to heave." Before Spike could turn away from them, Angel saw the jealousy seething below the surface. It was a jealousy the younger vampire refused to notice.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Buffy denied everything.

"Oh yeah. You're just friends," Spike countered sarcastically. He continued to look at the bottles of spell components on the shelf.

"That's right," Angel commented.

Spike turned around to face them. "You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other till it makes you quiver, but you'll never be friends." Spike tapped himself on the temple. "Love isn't brains, children, it's blood..." Spike then grasped at his chest. "Blood screaming inside you to work its will."

Angel glanced at Buffy, who refused to look at him. The dark-haired vampire glanced at the blond vampire, and he noticed the intense look Spike was giving the Slayer.

"I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it." Spike turned back to finding the spell components and missed the look that Buffy darted between himself and the other vampire.

When the trio left the magic shop with the bag of supplies, they were surprised to find themselves surrounded by a gang of vampires. Angel stood behind Spike and Buffy. He watched the byplay between the two of them. The look of communication between the Slayer and the blond vampire told Angel everything he needed to know. The claim was as strong as ever, even if the pair didn't realize it was there.

It's over between us. My beloved Buffy doesn't belong to me, and she never will, Angel thought to himself later as he watched Spike and Buffy fight together. I will stay and help as long as I can for William's sake, but I don't know how long I can stay close to her knowing...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

September 26, 2001

Los Angeles, California at the Hyperian Hotel

"You knew this and you said nothing?" Wesley asked. He put down the pen he had been making notes with.

"Yes, I thought it was for the best," Angel mumbled. "Even after I realized Spike was extremely angry for my deserting her," Angel chuckled morosely. "Not that he knew that was part of his reason for torturing me when I had the Gem of Amara."

"I think you better explain yourself, Angel," the ex-watcher exclaimed.

"When Buffy took the gem from Spike, she sent it to me, and he came to retrieve it," Angel explained, "He called her Slutty the Vampire Layer to piss me off, but I could really see that he was jealous of some twat of a human boy and mad at me as the head of the clan for deserting his mate."

"Do you think this Spike guy will come after you again?" Gunn asked. He picked up a nearby crossbow as if he expected Spike to swoop down on the hotel at any moment.

"Probably," the broody vampire said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

September 26, 2001 Sunnydale, California.

The Scoobies, the Summers girls, Spike and Cordelia looked at the answering machine as Giles's voice filled the room. "Hello, is anyone there? I've been ringing everyone trying to find someone to talk to. What the hell is going on in Sunnydale?" Desperation started to fill the Watcher's voice. "Someone pick up and speak to me."

The others looked at Buffy for guidance. She shook her head to indicate that she wasn't ready to speak to the Watcher quite yet. Buffy turned pleading eyes on Spike, who huffed as he acquiesced to his mate's wishes and answered the phone.

"Rupes," Spike said into the receiver coldly, "I guess you felt the spell break, too."

"Yes, quite right. I called and spoke to Angel's answering machine," Giles stammered. He hadn't expected Spike to be the one to answer the phone. "Um, how did it happen?"

"Red brought the Slayer back," Spike answered the Watcher's question.

"Buffy's there right now?" Giles asked, "She's alright?"

"She's just fine, Watcher, but she did bring back a bit of knowledge with her in regards to something you and Peaches did to us a few years back," Spike spit out from between gritted teeth.

"But ... but how?"

"When Buffy's ready to talk to you, she'll give you a call." Spike wasn't ready to deal with the Watcher yet, and he was sure Buffy wasn't either.

"I'm coming to Sunnydale as soon as I can," Giles announced. He hung up on the astonished vampire.

Spike put the phone down, and he turned to the others, "Giles is on his way to Sunnydale, and I suppose the big brooding poofter will be, too.