Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Tasha for betaing this chapter.
Chapter 5

"Xander, I want to speak to Buffy this instant," Angel demanded. He frowned when he heard Xander's dark chuckle.

"What makes you think she wants to speak to you?" Xander asked. He glanced over at Buffy who still looked like she was attempting to crawl inside Spike's body. "I think we have a handle on the situation. We don't need your meddling."

"I am not meddling, and I resent you implying that," Angel growled.

"Oh, so going along with Giles to rob of us our memories, not telling us about it when you did find out and telling Buffy to find a 'normal' guy all the while knowing she had someone......"

"Spike is not a someone," Angel broke in on Xander, "He's an evil, soulless demon who will turn on you in a heartbeat." He deftly avoided the memories that threatened to flood his mind.

"No, Deadboy, that's your job." Xander chuckled darkly again. He grinned for his audience.

"Tell me again why I'm speaking to you, Harris?"

"Because no one else wants to speak to you." Xander glanced at a piece of paper Cordelia pushed into his hands. "However Cordelia wants Wes to come to Sunnydale to discuss something with her." Xander paused when it became clear that Angel had finally handed the phone to Wesley. "Hey Wes..." He trailed off when Cordelia grabbed the phone from him.

"Wes, these visions are killing me," Cordelia said in a rush, "I need you to come to Sunnydale after you research for me. Have you ever heard of the Penhuibin?"

"I believe so," Wesley replied, "They are a non-corporal angel, correct. What's this got to do with your visions?" He jotted down notes in his journal.

"I'll tell you when you come to Sunnydale," Cordelia informed the ex-Watcher. "Do you think Fred will come out of her room so she and Gunn can come, too?"

"I have no idea, but the least I can do is ask. Do you want Angel to come with us?"

"Not really, but if you can't stop him, don't worry about it," Cordelia answered. "Meet us at the Magic Box." She gave Wesley the address before she hung up.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thought I'd find you out here, pet," Spike announced himself to his mate. He smiled down at her gently while he sat down next to her. Spike noticed her reaction to him was a marked difference from the last time they had sat together on the back porch of the Summers' house. His smile widened when she slid over next to him to loop her hands around his bicep and rested her head on his shoulder.

Buffy watched as Spike dug his cigarettes and lighter out of his duster pocket. She studied hands that tapped out a cigarette and placed the filtered end between his lips. Buffy thought it was cool the way he lit his cigarette one-handed. "Have I ever told you how sexy you are when you're smoking?"

"No, don't believe you have, luv," Spike smirked. He pulled smoke deep into his undead lungs, and he expelled it away from Buffy. "How come you're not in bed?"

"You weren't there," Buffy answered in a little girl voice, and then she grimaced, "I was a little worried that I might have some bad dreams. I did last time I dug myself out of a grave."

"I think you need to run that one past me one more time, Slayer," Spike commented. He tapped the ash from his smoke into the ashtray that Dawn had gotten for him while Buffy was gone.

"Before you came to town the first time, there was a little boy who was having nightmares." Buffy shuddered as she remembered some of the dreams that had come to life. "At the time my biggest fear was to be vampire. So, the Master attacked me, threw me in a grave, buried me, and I awakened as a vampire." Buffy paused for a moment. "I dreamed I was buried alive for months. Well, until the Master drowned me, then I dreamed about that instead."

"Wouldn't have had to dig your way out if I had done my job right," Spike muttered, "I do remember what I said. I promised to protect Dawn." He paused to look up at the stars. "If I had done that you wouldn't have had to jump."

"No, Spike." Buffy exclaimed. She put her hand on his chin to turn his face towards her. "You kept your promise to protect her, and you're still protecting her."

Spike continued on softly, his voice riddled with guilt, "Every night after, I'd see it all again. I'd do something different. I'd be faster, or more clever, you know?" He shut his eyes when the tears threatened. What a nancyboy, he thought to himself before he continued, "Dozens of times in lots of different ways. Every night I save you."

"You are not a nancyboy, my big bad," Buffy cooed, and then her tone turned serious, "I came close to telling you how I felt that night when you said you were a monster. You're not a monster, Spike, and despite your protests, you're not evil either. I could never love someone who was entirely evil." She smiled sweetly at her mate.

"I love you, Buffy," Spike whispered. He crushed out his cigarette butt, and then he turned back to the Slayer. Spike slid his hand along Buffy's jaw line until he was cupping the side of her head in the palm of his hand. "'m gonna kiss you now, luv."

"Mmmm," Buffy murmured when their lips met. Her eyes drifted closed, and she could see stars behind them as Spike rubbed his tongue along her lower lip. Buffy opened her mouth to allow him entry. Their tongues entwined, and soon she was whimpering.

Spike pulled away slightly to speak, "Love the sounds you make, pet." He didn't get to say anything else before Buffy had her lips pressed against his again. Spike wasn't surprised at all when she crawled into his lap, and her hands crept inside his duster to glide along his back.

Buffy broke away from Spike's mouth, and she laid her head on his shoulder. She couldn't resist reaching out to playful lick the bite marks she had left on his neck. Buffy was delighted when a shudder passed through her vampire.

"Careful there, luv. I have no plans on ravishing you tonight." Spike tightened his grip on Buffy. "But if you keep that up..." He groaned deep in his chest when Buffy pressed her lips to the marks. His eyes drifted shut as his mate allowed all her feelings for him flow to over and through him. "It's a good thing I have the chip, luv, or I'd have your Watcher's guts for garters," Spike hissed.

"That's gross, Spike, but I don't blame you. I'm pissed at Giles, too." Buffy scrunched up her nose. "He's coming here and I have no idea what to say to him. If only he hadn't of cast that damned spell on us our lives would have been so different." Her eyes filled with tears.

"I know, Slayer, but we'll suss it out when he gets here," Spike said in a comforting voice, "But I think it might be best to be prepared for the poofter showing up with the other Watcher tomorrow. The Cheerleader's brassed off good and proper at him."

"Yeah, Cordy's good at being pissed at people. She's why Anya is here," Buffy giggled. "Angel's in for some big time groveling before he's in her good graces again."

"What about you, luv? His puppy dog eyes and groveling gonna put him in your good graces?"

"I hardly think so, Spike. I have my vampire right here in my arms." To emphasize her point, Buffy threw her arms around her mate, and she pressed herself closer to him. She whispered in his ear in a flirtatious manner, "Is that a railroad spike in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

"Vixen," Spike growled. He stood up with the Slayer still in his arms. "Time for good little girls to go to bed." Spike crossed the porch to the back door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike woke up flat on his back with the Slayer holding him down to the mattress with her body. Her leg was flung over his thighs, and her arm was flung over his chest. Her face was buried in the crux of his neck with her soft cheek against her original claim mark and her hot breath caressing her new claim mark. Spike shuddered When he remembered the night before when during some very sweet kissing Buffy had sought out the mark on his shoulder and reclaimed the spot as hers.

Buffy snuggled closer to Spike even though really she couldn't get any closer to him than she already was. "Mmm. My Spike," she whispered, "Thank you for saving me in my dream. I didn't know you could do that."

"Me either, pet," Spike quietly replied, "Maybe we should take a look at that book of the demon-girl's." He tightened his arms around Buffy, and he brushed his lips along her forehead.

"Sounds like a plan, but for now I'm staying right here in bed with you." Buffy sighed. "I can't believe I had to slay something the first night home." She stopped talking as she thought about something. Did Willow seem a bit off to you last night? Buffy asked silently.

Glad 'm not the only one that noticed it, luv, Spike answered silently, She seemed pretty proud that she was able to bring you back.

She only opened the door. I was the one that stepped through it. Buffy stroked Spike's chest. She followed the path of her hand with her eyes, delighted to see goosebumps form on the cool, pale skin. When she raised her eyes to his, she got caught in his lustful blue gaze. I had to come back to you.

What about William?

All Will did was show me how so very much he's still connected to you. Besides, I love your demon, too. Buffy paused to plant a kiss on Spike's nearest nipple. Man and monster equally. Don't flip out now when I say this. Please listen to me. I could never do that with Angel. Not because I didn't want to but because...

"Angelus wouldn't let you," Spike finished for the Slayer. Before he could continue there was a soft knock at the door.

"A-m I interrupting anything?" Tara asked in a soft voice, "C-can I talk to you?"

"Come on in, Tara," Buffy answered, "We were just talking." She pulled away from Spike, and she sat up.

Tara opened the door to come in, but she glanced back out into the hall before she closed the door behind her. She crossed to the bed where she made a little gesture while she whispered a little incantation. Tara smiled shyly when Spike and Buffy looked at her with curiosity. "J-just a little muting spell. I-I'm worried about Willow. She was intentionally cruel to Cordelia after you two and Dawn left the Magic Box last night."

"What did she do, pet?" Spike asked. He sat up next to Buffy, but he was careful to keep the sheet around his waist even though he still wore his jeans. Spike had no intentions of embarrassing the shy Wiccan.

"W-Willow said that Cordelia didn't need to become a demon because she was a demon all-already because o-otherwise Xander would have never gone out with her," Tara stammered in a whisper. She played with the hem of her shirt nervously. "But that wasn't the worse part. T-then Willow said that..." Tara trailed off as she glanced up at Buffy and then back down at her hands.

"Lay it on us, Glinda," Spike declared, "It can't be that bad." He smiled encouragingly at Tara. Spike had a soft spot for the gentle Wiccan ever since he had popped her in the nose to prove she wasn't a demon.

"When Cordelia left she was telling Xander how arrogant Giles was for doing the spell to break the claim and make you forget while praising herself about the spell to bring you back," Tara's voice gained in confidence as she told the events of the night before. "When Anya went to say something, Willow's eyes flashed black. It scared me, and she's using her powers for stupid little things like starting the bath water while she's still in the bedroom."

"God, does this mean I have to confront Willow, too?" Buffy groaned, "Can we just run away now?" She turned pleading eyes towards Spike.

"As much as I would like to load Dawn, Glinda and you into the DeSoto and get away, luv," Spike rubbed Buffy's back as he spoke words of support. "I don't think that's the solution."

"Yeah. I figured," Buffy groaned, "I just don't know what to say to Willow." She turned so she could bury her face in Spike's neck again. Buffy was still feeling a bit worse for wear.

Tara turned her head to stare at the door. She turned back with her eyes open wide and filled with terror. Tara opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

Spike saw the look on Tara's face, and he immediately understood that there was the possibility that Willow was standing outside the bedroom door. He racked his brain for some mundane conversation to start when the words engagement party popped into his mind, and he began to speak, "So, Glinda, you want to do an engagement party while the L.A. gang is here. Kinda short notice, don't cha think?"

"I-I don't know Cordelia that well, b-but I thought she might want a little celebration," Tara stammered, "Dawn and I could run out and gather some supplies. I-it'll be kinda limited because of funds, though."

Willow barged into the bedroom. "We don't have to worry about decorations. I'll just conjure some up. And, presto in a few hours there's no clean up. No biggie."

Spike smirked at Tara while he ignored Willow's comment. "'ve got some dosh, pet. The Gem of Amara wasn't the only part of the treasure I found." As he fully expected, Buffy pulled away from his neck to give him the evil eye.

"So, we didn't need to pay you for your services?" Buffy arched her eyebrow at her mate.

"Had to do something to keep my negotiating skills up." Spike curled his tongue behind his teeth. His eyes sparkled with merriment as he teased his Slayer.

Willow seethed with anger. Instead of taking her up on the offer of magical decorations, Spike and Buffy ignored her. So, she turned to Tara. "Tara, sweetie. You know I can do this. It's such an easy spell."

"Y-you're using too much magic, Willow," Tara stammered. When she saw the flash of black in her girlfriend's eyes she trembled, but she decided now wasn't the time to back down. She had Spike and Buffy's support behind her. "You're using it for small, stupid things."

"I agree with Tara, Wills," Buffy stated. She turned to look at one of her oldest friends, and she didn't miss the little flash of black that passed through the redhead's eyes. "You need to back off, and stop using magic for every little thing."

Willow narrowed her eyes. "You liked it just fine when I was your 'big gun'. Besides you should be grateful that I brought you back from the dead." She stood defiantly as if she wanted someone to cross her. Willow knew she was right in bringing Buffy back. No one could deny that for sure.

"You opened the door, Willow." Buffy shot to her feet. "I was the one that went through it. I am grateful you opened the door, but did you even think about what you were doing when you did the spell?"

"Magic has consequences. Always," Spike stated emphatically, "'ve always said that."

"Don't be a hypocrite, Spike," Willow growled, "You did a spell to save Dru. Then, later you kidnapped Xander and me for a love spell."

"I paid for my actions with that little spell to cure Dru, didn't I?" Spike spat out, "Spent months in a soddin' wheelchair. I knew there would be consequences to the spell. I had just tried everything else on the bloody planet to cure her." Spike stood up from the bed, and he smirked when Willow squeaked and hid her eyes. "Have you ever seen a vampire die of garlic poisoning, Red? It's not a pretty sight. The only reason Dru survived long enough to make it from Prague to Sunnyhell was because as a fledge I decided I wasn't going to be affect by garlic. So, I started to ingest small quantities. 've built up some immunity."

"H-how did you do that?" Tara stammered. She had seen Spike demolish a plate of spicy wings at the Bronze before, and she had been curious even then how he was able to do that. Especially since the smell of garlic literally poured from the spicy meat.

"When I was a fledge, Angelus loved to talk about different torture techniques." Spike grimaced at the memory. "One that he talked about but never had the patience to do was to feed poison to a person 'til their body was so saturated that they themselves became poison to others."

"What's that got to do with this?" Willow sneered. She hated the way Buffy and Tara were eating up every word coming out of the vampire's mouth. The shift in her thought patterns had been so slow and insidious that she hadn't realized they had changed.

Tara's head shot up, and she searched Willow's aura. Something was definitely off, but the Wiccan couldn't tell what it was exactly. Her girlfriend's usually bright and sharp aura colors were becoming muddy and sickly looking. Tara glanced quickly at Spike and Buffy, but there didn't seem to be anything wrong with their perfectly matched coronas.

Spike noticed the gentle Wiccan's preoccupation with Willow. He knew she read auras, and he wondered what she was seeing in Willow's. Spike smirked at Willow, and he began to speak, "Not a thing, Red. Just sayin' is all. I knew what I was doing, and I was willing to accept the consequences of m'actions. You, on the other hand, are as arrogant as the Watcher."

"I am not," Willow screeched, "I've never played with anyone's memories, and I resent the implication that I'm anything like Giles." She whirled around and left the room.

Spike, Buffy and Tara could hear Willow stomp down the stairs. In another few minutes, they heard the front door open and slam shut. A few minutes after that, the three flabbergasted occupants of Buffy's bedroom heard Dawn coming up the stairs.

Dawn paused in the bedroom door. "What the heck just happened with Willow? Her eyes were all flashy black." Dawn shivered at the memory. "She was muttering something about 'showing them'."

"That can't be good," Buffy muttered. Then she addressed Dawn's question. "We told Willow that she was using too much magic, and she didn't like it."

"Well, she really is," Dawn replied. She moved inside the bedroom door. "She was using magic to sweep the kitchen while making pancakes this morning. I felt like I stepped into Mickey Mouse's Fantasia housecleaning fantasy." Dawn crossed to the window seat, and she settled herself there.

"Either of you know how it went with Cordy and Hassib?" Buffy asked. She knew that the Seer and the Penhuibin had planned on meeting earlier in the day to go over the ceremony to welcome Cordelia into the angel-demon's close-knit family.

Dawn and Tara giggled together before Dawn answered Buffy's question. "I stopped in at the Magic Box during lunch, and from what I saw it was going fabulously. Hassib's been hiding his cutting wit behind doughnut sales all these years."

"Oh, yes." Tara nodded happily. "He got the rest of the family to come by. They adore Cordy." Tara paused for a moment while she got a pained look on her face. "Only problem that we might have is A-angel. He called here and the Magic Box demanding to talk to either to you, Buffy, or Cordy. He was very adamant about Cordy not accepting anything from the demon until he was in Sunnydale."

"Bet that went over like a lead balloon," Buffy muttered. She sat back down on the bed, and she leaned into Spike who pulled her close against his body. Buffy felt in need of some food, in need of more sleep and in need of a shower.

"'ve got money," Spike announced out of the blue, "Dawn knows where I keep it. Why don't you two ladies go get the party favors while the Slayer and I finish our nap and get some food in us?" He smiled down at Buffy when she sighed and closed her eyes.

"That sounds great, guy." Dawn hopped to her feet. "Let's get going, Tara. I am in need of shopping goodness." She bounced out of the room in search of her purse and jacket.

"Are you sure you should have let her have free reign with your loot, Spike?" Tara asked. She was surprised that the vampire was being so free with his cash.

"That's just emergency money, Glinda," Spike chuckled, "You really think I'd tell a Summers woman where I hid my dosh? Born shoppers, they are! Break the bank in a heartbeat." His chuckle became a full-blown laugh when his mate smacked him playfully across the chest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Willow watched from the behind the tree across the street from the Summers' house. First Dawn and Tara came out happily planning for an engagement/celebration for Cordy party. She grimaced when she thought about the dark haired Seer that was visiting Sunnydale. All of her animosity towards the other woman pushed to the forefront of her mind.

Willow's mind wandered to the conversation with Spike and Buffy that Tara had muted. She knew it was about her, otherwise why would Buffy have turned on her? Spike's opinion didn't count, because, well, he was Spike. Willow pushed the fact that Buffy genuinely cared for the vampire out of her mind as she made up her plan.

"They think I'm using too much magic? They think Giles is the only one powerful enough to make them forgetful?" Willow muttered. Her voice seethed in jealousy. "I'll show them."

Willow jolted awake when she heard Spike and Buffy's voices floating across the street. She had no idea how long she had slept, but it was now dusk. It was just dark enough that Spike could leave the house without the worry of burning up. Willow listened to the blond pair who giggled and joked their way down the sidewalk. She was amazed at how much their teasing sounded like the snarky banter they had engaged in before Buffy's death.

Willow shook herself out of the reverie. She peeked out from behind the tree, and she watched Spike and Buffy walk down the sidewalk holding hands. Willow waited another five minutes before sneaking across the street to let herself into the Summers' house. Even though she knew there was no one in the house but her, she crept up the stairs into the room she shared with Tara. Willow grabbed one of the books on magic. She knew exactly which spell she wanted, and she was sure she had the ingredients all ready in the house. Willow grinned when she found the incantation she planned on using. Oh yeah, people were going to start respecting her now, she thought to herself.

Willow gathered her ingredients, and she went back downstairs. In the living room, she knelt in front of the fireplace where she pulled a large piece of Lethe's Bramble from a bag, and she placed it in the grate. "For those who mock me, this I char."

Willow struck a match on the bricks, and she set the Lethe's Bramble on fire. Then she continued with the incantation, "Let Lethe's Bramble do its chore. Purge their memories grim, of knowledge of recent slights and sins."

Willow reached into a small pouch on her belt, took out a clear crystal, and held it in the flames. "When the fire goes out, when the crystal turns black, the spell will be cast." She pulled the crytsal out of the flame. "Tabula Rasa. Tabula Rasa. Tabula Rasa."

Willow smiled to herself while she put the crystal back into the pouch on her belt. She knew it would be only a matter of time before things would fall into place. Willow hopped to her feet, and she left the house whistling a merry little tune. She failed to notice the spark that leapt from the Lethe's Bramble in the fireplace to the bag of the same herb she had left laying next to the grate.