Author's Chapter Notes:
Just the epilogue after this.
Chapter 7

Tara gave Willow a look filled with anger and disgust. She chanced a look at Spike and Buffy before settling her eyes on her lap. Tara felt violated in a way that she had never been before. She now understood how the others had felt when they had realized that their memories had been played with. Tara wondered how Willow had justified to herself the casting of another spell to mess with people's memories.

"What the hell exactly is going on around here?" Giles asked. He gauged the emotions of the others carefully. Xander, Anya, Cordy and Wes expressed simple outrage for having their memories messed with. Angel was holding his head in his hands in what could only be embarrassment. Spike, Buffy, and Dawn had all gathered around the distraught Tara while throwing glares at the unrepentant Willow. "Willow, an explanation, please."

"I don't see why I have to explain anything to you, Giles," Willow replied haughtily. "It's not as if you are without your sins."

"Yes, I know that," Giles answered back. "But I'm starting to regret my actions, Willow. Don't you think that I realize that Jenny might still be here if I hadn't of done that blasted spell back when Spike and Buffy got together?" He rubbed the side of his head while he looked down at the floor.

"What about me?" Dawn announced. "What did I do to deserve you raping my mind? Or Tara? I thought we were your friends! She crossed her arms and glared from her spot beside Tara. "You knew we were all upset about Giles messing with our memories. In fact, I was under the impression you were upset, too."

"You're just a little girl, Dawn," Willow declared. "You know nothing." She looked around the room as she tried to find a sympathetic face.

"Wow, look at the arrogance. Little Willow thinks she's a grown up." Cordelia advanced on the redhead. "You're out of control. Hey, look, everyone! It's our own personal Big Bad right here in the room." The brunette was on a roll, and she ignored Spike's snort of laughter. "Look at you! Is this how you're going to live your life? Taking away people's memories and changing their thoughts to suit your wants and needs?"

"Quite right," Wesley said softly. "You're acting like a scared little girl who's afraid people will not want to be around you unless you make them. You really need some help with your control issues."

"Oh, the Cheerleader and the failed Watcher have said their piece," Willow muttered, "How about the rest of you? Xander? Anya? How about you, oh great and mighty ensouled one?"

"I owe you an apology, Willow." Giles face hardened into that of his alter ego, Ripper. "I always assumed you were the smart one." He smirked at the young red haired witch.

"I am smart, and more powerful than you can ever imagine, Giles." Willow raised her arms in the air, and she started to utter an incantation.

Giles flicked his wrist in an offhand manner. "You are an arrogant little girl who wields her power in the wrong way. What if Buffy had been in Heaven, Willow? Would you have taken the responsibility of removing an angel from her rightful place?"

Willow fell to the floor in a screaming heap. "What did you do to me? My powers are gone!" She scrambled across the wood towards her girlfriend. "Tara, baby, help me. Tell them they're wrong. I need my powers. I can't survive them."

"They're not gone, Willow," Giles replied, "I merely bound them until a time when you are in control of yourself. You can live without them, and you will until you learn to use your magic in a less destructive way. You are not in control of other people's lives. I made that mistake, and it may have cost me everything I hold dear." He marched over to the cowering witch. Giles picked her up off the floor and promptly deposited her into a chair. He turned back to the others, and he announced. "I'll talk to the coven my friend belongs to. I'm sure she will be willing to take Willow in and teach her some control."

"Giles, how did you know I wasn't in Heaven?" Buffy asked quietly. She knew there was no way the Watcher could have known where she had really spent her time while dead.

"I don't really know, Buffy," Giles replied. "The knowledge flashed in my mind when I bound Willow's powers." He pinched the bridge of his nose as if he was trying to stave off a headache.

The bell above the door dinged loudly in the quiet that followed Giles' revelation. A short dark skinned man entered the shop followed by several men and four women covered from head to toe in black garments. "Cordelia," he sang out happily. "My family wishes to prepare you for the ceremony. You may pick two of your female friends to accompany you." Hassib looked around the room at the occupants, and he turned to dismiss the men.

"Hassib," Cordelia greeted the man. She rushed over to him, and she hugged him warmly. Then, she greeted each of the women with a kiss to the hand. "I'm so glad you're here. Come meet Wesley." Cordelia dragged the shorter man towards the ex-watcher.

"Ah, yes. The fallen Watcher," Hassib said softly. He leaned in to whisper in Wesley's ear. "False prophesies lead many good men astray."

Hassib's female relatives moved to stand by Cordelia while they indicated they were ready to prep her for the ceremony. Cordelia looked around the room at the women gathered there. She knew she didn't want Willow anywhere near her during this critical time, but Cordelia noticed that Tara could use the distraction from what was going on. The dark haired seer didn't know Xander's fiancé very well. That only left Dawn or Buffy. Cordelia made a quick decision, and she touched Tara and Dawn on their shoulders.

After Cordelia, Tara and Dawn followed the Penhuibin women into the back room, Wesley pulled Hassib to the upper levels to privately consult the man about the upcoming ceremony. The ex-Watcher might not be part of the council anymore, but that wasn't going to stop him from making journal entries.

Angel groaned silently when he remembered how he had acted while under the influence of Willow's spell. He had tried so hard to put the behavior he had indulged in as a human behind him, but it frequently came back to haunt him. He realized that Buffy might forgive him someday for not having Giles' spell broken when he returned from Hell, but she'd never really love him. If she wasn't there as the treasure at the end of the rainbow, what was the purpose?

Willow sulked like a child that the others had accused her of being. Why they couldn't see how great and powerful she was, was beyond her comprehension. She was busily plotting her revenge when Giles' voice echoed through her head. I wouldn't if I were you, Willow. They all love you very much. It would be a shame for you to lose Tara like I lost Jenny because of your stupidity. Willow turned to glare Giles, but was immediately frightened to see that it was Ripper and not Giles staring back at her.

Giles watched while Spike and Xander made plans to meet at the Bronze the following evening for a ruthless round of pool. Buffy and Anya giggled to each other while they watched their posturing men. When Dawn and Tara returned from the storage room, the two of them were immediately included in the little group. Giles noticed that despite the things going on, that the six of them were glowing with happiness. It was only when Tara glanced at Willow, did Giles realize how hurt she had been by the red haired witch's memory spell. He approached the group with trepidation. "I-I just want to say that I'm terribly sorry about what I did, Buffy and Spike. If there's anything I can do to make it up, please let me know. I'll do whatever you ask of me."

Buffy chewed her lip while she studied Giles' earnest face. She knew he probably would do anything to make it up to her, she just wasn't sure she was ready. How was she going to tell her Watcher, the man she thought of as her father, that if he hadn't of played with their lives that she and Spike would have claimed Dawn as family as soon as they knew her identity? That through this familial claiming that when Dawn had been in the locker room at the hospital with Ben, she would have remembered his changeover to Glory?

Spike cupped Buffy's face in the palm of his hand. Tell him, luv. He needs to know. His eyes shifted to the other vampire in the room. They both need to know.

"I know that, Giles. While I can forgive you, you're going to have to earn my ... no, our trust, again," Buffy said softly. "If you hadn't made decisions for us, we could have avoided the whole Glory debacle with a simple familial claiming of Dawn. We would have known about Ben and Glory even before the Council came to visit. We could have disposed of them without Dawn getting hurt or me dying."

"Giles only did what he thought was the right thing for you, Buffy," Angel announced. He leapt to his feet to enter the main area of the Magic Box. Okay, yeah, he protested the initial spellcasting, but that didn't change anything in his eyes. Buffy needed a normal guy to have a normal life with kids and house with a white picket fence.

Buffy turned furious hazel eyes on the brunette vampire. "You, on the other hand, I will not forgive or trust ever again. You knew, and you said nothing."

"You were enemies." Angel protested in his defense. "How could I do that to you, Buffy? I love you."

"No, you love the little girl that you pretend I am, because you never got to know all of me." Buffy smiled up at Spike. "I'm a bitch, Angel. Sorry to say it, but it's true. I'm hormonal, cranky, and downright pissy at time, but you know what? I think that's what Spike likes most about me."

"She's a pistol when she's brassed off," Spike agreed. "But, bloody hell, I love a girl with fire in her eyes." He leaned down to kiss Buffy on the cheek.

Wesley and Hassib came down from the upper level of the Magic Box. Hassib walked around the room, and he stared into each person's face carefully before moving to touch Willow on the forehead. She attempted to jerk away, but Hassib wouldn't allow her to. He looked down at her sadly, and he announced, "You are almost the most powerful person in this room, but you use your need to control as a means to boost your self confidence. You can not witness this ceremony."

Hassib moved to stand in front of Angel. He touched the dark-haired vampire on the forehead. "You have a darkness in you that does not come from your vampiric demon. The Shanshu will never be yours if you do not reconcile your two halves. Man and monster must learn to live as one. You could learn much from your grandchilde. You can not witness this ceremony."

"Spike doesn't have a soul," Angel spit out contemptuously.

"That's where you are wrong, Angelus. His soul stands holding his right hand, leaving his left hand free to fight. Just as he holds her left hand, leaving her right hand to free to fight." Hassib turned to point at Spike and Buffy across the room.

Hassib moved to Giles, and he touched the Watcher on the forehead. "You mean well in your actions, Ripper, but sometimes you pay no heed to the consequences. I hear the laughter of children that should have been. I see you playing with a little girl while smiling up at a beautifully pregnant wife. All is not lost, they will forgive you, in time. You can not witness this ceremony."

Hassib moved on to Wesley. He touched the ex-Watcher on the forehead. "Your power is in your wisdom, but you must have more confidence in yourself. You are many things; a friend with a heart as large as the world, a teacher willing to share your knowledge, and a warrior that outclasses your father and the other prigs at the Council. You are the Father." Hassib directed Wesley to prepare the room for the ceremony.

The Penhuibin walked over to Tara and Dawn. He touched their foreheads at the same time. "You are the Wiccan and the Key. Your powers are untapped and powerful beyond compare, yet no one can quite see you because you hide behind others. Changes are coming, be ready. You are two of the three witnesses." Hassib and the others deliberately ignored the snort that came from the direction of Willow's chair while he directed the two females to Wesley's side so that he could show them their part in the upcoming ceremony.

Hassib circled the table to stand in front of Xander and Anya. The engaged couple were holding hands, and when they started to pull apart, Hassib encouraged them not to. He touched their foreheads solemnly. "You are the female Water, and the male Earth. Without water, the earth becomes parched and barren. Water can shape and mold the earth. Earth can displace water causing a tidal wave. Separately you are mighty forces. Together you create and nurture life. You are the West and the South."

After Hassib directed Xander and Anya to Wesley for supplies and instructions, he moved on to Spike and Buffy. He smiled gently when he saw how close they were standing, and he touched them on the forehead. "You are the female Fire, and the male Air. Fire consumes everything in its path, burning high and bright. However, it is Air that controls it, either by helping it live and leading it in a merry dance or leaving it in a smothering void. You are the East and the North."

Hassib turned away from the Slayer and her vampire to address the room. "I had no plans on including any of you in the ceremony except as witnesses, but when I entered the room I found myself surrounded by the most beautiful group of people I've ever seen. I've never seen so much power in one place before, and I've lived in Sunnydale for decades. Cordelia is lucky to count you as her friends." He turned towards the door to the backroom when it opened. One of his women signaled that they were ready for the ceremony to begin. "Ah, yes, RoseSeri, please send in Brenna and Emmaline so that the witnesses may choose their third companion."

The three dark clad Penhuibin women stood at the back of the Magic Box, and they let Tara and Dawn look them over. The two witnesses looked at each other. Then, they both laid a hand on the middle woman, Brenna. RoseSeri and Emmaline returned to the back room to join Cordelia while the, now three, witnesses returned to Wesley for their supplies.

"Watcher, it's time for you to remove the bound witch and the cursed vampire. The ceremony is about to begin." He waited for the three banished beings to leave the Magic Box before he turned to the others. They each had their supplies, and were waiting to be placed where he needed them. Once placed, Hassib knocked on the back door to let the others know it was time to begin.

Cordelia gulped. This was such a big step, and she wasn't sure she was ready for it. She took several calming breaths when the knock finally sounded on the door. The three Penhuibin women helped her to her feet. Cordelia looked down at the ceremonial robe that now adorned her body. She wasn't sure she was pure enough of heart and soul for the joining. Her heart pounded wildly in her chest, and her palms became sweaty. Cordelia shuffled towards the door, unsure of what laid on the other side.

Hassib smiled at Cordelia when she laid her hand atop of his. He knew she had misgivings about being good enough to join his family, but she didn't see what he saw. She was a bitch, she freely admitted that, but she didn't see the greatness of her heart and the beauty of her soul. The changes that she had wrought over the past few years were substantial and for the good. Hassib remembered the dark haired woman from when she came into his shop several years before. He could see her growth. Now it was time to get her to see it.

Cordelia gasped when she saw the Scoobies. She had wondered what was going on in the other room, but she had no idea that Hassib was going to include anyone but his women and several witnesses. She composed herself enough to allow Hassib to lead her to the center of the group where they kneeled on two pillows. Between them, laying on its own pillow, was a beautiful ceremonial knife.

"I am Hassib of the Ezot clan. We call upon Avalokitesvara, the Mistress of mercy and compassion. You whom seeketh to bring mortals enlightenment out of their suffering. You with the divine power to assume any form at will. We invite you, Lady of Compassion, to be with us as we honor you and our ancestors. We thank you for your gift of enlightenment and joining, and we ask that you spark in each here spiritual growth. Please awaken in the worthy among us the wisdom of the Old Ones, that we may shine enough to awaken others." Hassib's head fell back as the magic of the ceremony took over his body.

Wesley felt the force of the magic bring forth words making him glad he had been judged fortunate enough to help Cordelia in her hour of need. "I am the father. I freely give of this child. I invite you all to this most sacred of ceremonies." Wesley/Father held his hands out in supplication towards Cordelia and Hassib.

Xander stepped forward with his hand full of sand. He began to walk in a counter clockwise circle around Cordelia and Hassib. While he poured the sand along behind him, his voice deepened from a magical influence, "Here lies the realm of structure, growth, leadership and connection with our deepest roots, those of Earth. We ask for the grounding presence of Earth to be with us here in the realm of the tribal leaders. We ask that all here may know the lesson of Earth - to be silent, to remember." When Xander/Earth completed the circle of sand, he returned to his position to the south of the circle.

Buffy smiled to herself while she caressed Spike's zippo lighter. She flicked it open while she carefully lit the candle she was holding. "Here lies the realm of self-confidence, passion, strength, courage and victory. We ask that the element of fire be among us tonight in this, the realm of the warrior. We ask that all here may know the lesson of fire - to will." Buffy/Fire cupped the flame so it wouldn't blow out.

Anya poured specially blessed water into the goblet she was holding while words magically flowed from her lips. "Here lies the realm of mystical wisdom and intuition. We ask of the presence of the element water in this the realm of the Mystics, the Priestly Ones, tonight. We ask that all here may know the lesson of water - to dare." Anya/Water raised the goblet towards Cordelia and Hassib.

Spike opened his mouth, and he found himself magically singing his words while accompanied by deeply melodic musical chimes. "Here lies the realm of inspiration and the intellect. We ask that the element of air be present tonight in this, the realm of the bards. We ask that all here may know the lesson of air - to know." Spike/Air finished in a rush while he hoped no one ribbed him later about his singing.

When the four elements finished their ceremonial requirements, Wesley felt the magic overtake him again. "Here lies the realm of the Wise Ones, the Old Ones, the Otherworld and the soul. This is the realm of the Spirit. Spirit is ever present; its challenge is to tune in. To consciously connect to the web of life, to experience self as part of all life, all nature and all energy. Mastering inner energies and uniting them with the cosmic energies."

The witnesses began the process of threading a necklace string through clear amulets. When they had finished, they moved forward towards the circle and spoke as one entity. "We call upon Avalokitesvara, the Mistress of mercy and compassion. You whom seeketh to bring mortals enlightenment out of their suffering. You with the divine power to assume any form at will. We invite you, Lady of Compassion, to be with us as we honor you and our ancestors. We thank you for your gift of enlightenment and joining, and we ask that you spark in each here spiritual growth. Please awaken in the worthy among us the wisdom of the Old Ones, that we may shine enough to awaken others." Together the witnesses dropped the amulets inside the circle while being careful not to disturb the sand.

Hassib's body tensed as tight as a bowstring, and a swirling, glittering essence broke itself off from his body. It hovered in the air for several minutes while it glowed and pulsated wildly. It zipped towards Cordelia where it appeared to be caressing her skin with its non-corporeal body. Then, it gently entered her body through her chest.

Cordelia tensed when the Penhuibin entered her body. It wasn't as bad as she thought it was going to be. She could feel the creature exploring every part of her mind and soul. Cordelia felt a great surge of happiness, and she was suddenly glad she hadn't chickened out of the ceremony. She felt like she had come home after a long journey, or having a feast after a terrible famine. Cordelia looked around at all of the people that had helped her get to this point, and she felt lucky to know each and every one of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cordelia entered the main area of the Magic Box, and she was amazed at the transformation. No longer was it the place the ceremony took place, now it was set up for a party. Soft music was playing on the radio behind the checkout counter. The table had been moved to behind the ladder where it was laden with goodies. Buffy and Spike, as well as Xander and Anya, were slow dancing in the middle of the room. Cordelia saw that Fred and Gunn had showed up, and that Hassib was talking to Fred.

"Cordelia, my dear," Hassib said loudly while he announced her arrival into the room to the others. "Winifred is a delightful girl. She was just telling me about her stay in Pylea." He hurried over to the newest member of his family. Hassib knew she wasn't going to traditional like his other girls, because she had a purpose sanctioned by the Powers That Be. He whispered in her ear, "She'll start feeling better now. One thing we Penhuibin's can do is reduce mental anguish. It's not something we do consciously so the more time she spends with you the calmer she should begin to feel."

Hassib led Cordelia to the middle of the room where he announced, "All welcome, Cordelia of the Ezot clan. Seer and favored childe." He grinned when the entire room burst into applause. The females, except Tara, hurried forward to congratulate the brunette. Hassib gestured to his woman, who stood to leave. "Now, I have to make the doughnuts in a few hours. Earth, come by and pick up a few dozen for breakfast, on the house. We leave you to your festivities."

Anya rushed over to take Hassib's hand. "Thank-you so much for including me. It was the most beautiful ritual I've ever participated in." Her voice dropped to a whisper. "I'll give you and any of your family a 5% discount. Just have them say 'Hassib sent me'.

"You are very welcome, Water. Thank you for joining us in the joyous occasion." Hassib looked over Anya's head at the rest of the group. "You also, Warrior, Bard and Earth, Father and Witnesses. Thank you." With that the Penhuibin and his women swept out of the Magic Box into the night.

"So, Bard, huh?" Xander hooted with glee. "You gonna write some poetry for us, Spike?"

Spike smirked at Xander. "No, I'm not! Besides, Bard's better than bein' called dirt." He playfully cuffed the brunette across the back of the head. "Now, how much do you want to bet I can whip your arse in pool tomorrow night?"

Xander chuckled, "If I win you have write Buffy a poem." He slung his arm around the blond vampire's shoulder. "If you win...."