Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the LONG delay. Things have been beyond hectic. But most people know that!!!

Hope everyone is ok.

Please leave me a review, Nikki xx
Chapter three: Long night

“Spike!” Buffy’s voice was whiny from confusion; she didn’t like not knowing what was going on. “What just happened here?”

“How the hell should I know, Goldilocks?” Standing up Spike looked at the place where he had just been hit. “It’s almost like I just walked straight into something and it knocked me over.”

“There’s nothing there, Spike”

Looking over his shoulder, he glared daggers at Buffy. “Well done, Slayer, I can see that.” Turning back, he stared at the empty space.

Taking the hump, Buffy pouted. “Well, what did it feel like, Mr I-know-everything, Did it feel like an invisible person maybe? Ohh maybe it’s that creepy guy, maybe he’s still here. We used to have an invisible girl at Sunnydale high, the feds took her away, I have ever told you that? Or did it maybe feel like a tree, or…?”

“Wall.” Spike cut her off mid speech.

Buffy looked at him perplexed, confused at what he was saying after being cut off. “Huh? What?”

“It felt like. A. wall.” He said the last part very slow, hoping it would get through her thick skull.

“Oh, ok.” Buffy then stared at the empty place. “But, Spike, there’s nothing there.” Buffy repeated for the second time that night.

“I told you, I can see that, you stupid bint.” Spike still didn’t turn to look at her.

“Hey!” Buffy stared at him affronted. “I don’t have a clue what you just called me, but I’m sure it wasn’t nice, so hey!”

Growling, Spike turned and walked the other way to which he had first tried to walk away. Once again, he seemed to hit an invisible barrier that sent him stumbling backwards. From his place, where he now sat on the floor, he stared up at the invisible wall.

Buffy on the other hand, could barely contain her laughter. “Do it again, Spike! It’s so funny when you get knocked over. Its like when I beat you up, but better!”

Holding her side, she laughed out loud. Seeing his affronted face, she tried to control her laughter. “Sorry. It was just so funny. You should have seen your face, it was so amusing!” As she remembered the face that he had pulled, a fresh set of giggles surfaced.

“Bloody hell.” Standing up once again, he ignored the annoying girl in hysterics behind him, and tried to ignore the urge to rub his sore arse, where he had fallen on it. He knew it wouldn’t look very big bad like, if he was to stand there in front of his mortal enemy, nursing his injuries.

He stared apprehensively towards the place where he had been knocked flat. As Buffy had told him twice, it was true, there seemed to be nothing there, yet there must be something there he just couldn’t see it. There must be something keeping his here and stopping him from going back to his crypt, to spend an evening alone.

He hoped they figured it out what it was soon, he knew he only had three hours before the sun rose and there wasn’t exactly any shade around here that could protect him from spontaneously combusting. Plus Spike really didn’t fancy spending any longer with the slayer bitch than he really had too. She was already driving him well and truly round the bend. One more comment and he’d go stark raving mad. He knew the sooner he was away from her the better, for both of them.

Scowling, he walked apprehensively towards the barrio with his hands held out outstretched in front of him. Buffy stayed firmly where she was, she didn’t want to get knocked on her bottom like Spike had done, it looked like it hurt.

As his hands came into contact with what felt hard like some form of wall he stopped not moving an inch further forward. Keeping his hands securely in the wall he braced his feet. He knew if anyone saw him, he would look a complete numpty.

The barrier felt warm under his touch, it warmed his dead skin, and he could feel the magical energy crackling within it. Slowly moving his hands up above his head and then slowly down to his feet, he tried to see if the barrier went the whole height of him, hoping that there would be some form of escape. However he wasn’t in luck, as everywhere his hands went, they came into contact with the rack hard, invisible wall in front of him.

Closing his eyes he tried to sense if there where any weaknesses in it that would allow him to leave, but all he could feel was the warm crackling energy of the wall, it made his hands feel tingly.

“What can you feel, Spike? What’s it like?”

Snapping his eyes open he cursed under his cursed under his breath, before turning to look over his shoulder at the petit blond stood motionless behind him.

“Barrier” Spike gave a short answer showing his annoyance at her. He did not like being disturbed.

“What kinda barrier, what does it feel like?” Buffy crossed her arms over her chest and waited impatiently for a proper answer.

Spike still didn’t take his eyes away from the barrier, although he could see nothing before him. Nor did he take his hands off it, for fear of losing sits position. “Mystical.”

“Ohh, mystical? Can I feel it?” She started to walk forward only to have Spike shout at her.

“Wait!” Holding his hand out to halt her, Buffy stopped dead in her tracks.

“What Spike? Why’d you stop me?”

“Its gone.” Spike stared at where the wall had been, very confused now. Moving his hands around where the wall had been moments before, he tried to sense where it had disappeared to.

“Well, umm, where’d it go?” Buffy couldn’t help grinning at Spike’s actions, he looked hilarious.

“Haven’t the foggiest.” Shrugging his shoulders Spike decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth. Sure he didn’t know where the wall had gone, but if it meant he go back to his crypt, he also didn’t really care where the sodding wall had gone. Gone was gone in his book. “See you around, Slayer.” With that, he set off back to his crypt.

He had only gone three feet, when he hit slap back into the wall again, this time managing to keep himself upright. “What the hell?”

“Guess the wall wasn’t as gone as you thought.” Buffy said with a smug grin.

Growling, Spike looked at her. As he stood there staring at Buffy, stood there not moving, an idea suddenly came to him.

“Slayer, I wanna test something.”

“Oh, ok” Buffy looked at him apprehensively.

“Right, love, I’m gonna take a step forward on the count of three. When I do, you have to take one step forward too. Ok, pet?” Buffy just nodded her head.

“Ready?” Again Buffy just nodded her head. “One. Two three.”

On the count of three, the pair both moved one step forward. Sure enough, as Spike had thought it might, the wall moved with them. The wheels in Spikes head started to turn.

“Right, one more thing slayer. This time, I need you to take a step back. I’m not gonna move. Alright.” Buffy was confused where he was going with this, but complied anyway. “One. Two. Three.”

Again on the count of three Buffy took a step backward. It felt as though she was trying to walk through thick custard. She had to force her body weight backwards, however she managed to rake her step backwards. As she did, it sent Spike stumbling involuntary a step backwards too.

“Thought so!” Spike turned to look at the slayers confused face.

“Though what Spike?”

“The wall, it’s connected to us both. It seems to not want us to get further than 10 feet away from each other.”

Buffy face suddenly dropped, the thought of spending the rest of her life with Spike. “Well does it go all the way round?”

“I guess. Here I’ll test.” Placing his hands on the wall, he started to step right never taking his hands off. Slowly circling Buffy. Soon he was back where he started. “Yep it goes all the way round. Guess you are stuck with me slayer.” Spike walked up to her and gave her a smug grin.

“No! We will go to Giles. He’ll know what to do.” Buffy smiled at being able to come up with a plan. A workable plan.

“Buggar that.” Spike however had other ideas. Walking up to the barrier, he reared his fist back before Buffy could stop him. As he hit the wall, a bolt of energy hit him squarely in his chest sending him flying backwards. He landed at Buffy’s feet, out cold.

Sighing Buffy looked at the knocked out vampire at her feet. Wrapping her coat around her, she sat down on his chest. There was nothing to do but wait for him to wake up, not exactly anywhere she could go.

As she looked at the unconscious vampire she was sat on, she realised this could be a very, very long night.

TBC…

Please review, it only takes a second.